Forum › Anime season

joined Jan 6, 2017

I would understand calling LycoReco bait if and only if it wasn't obviously setting up a season two. Even if said season two never comes the fact that it's set up still shows that the story isn't finished.
Now, were season two to also ignore the obvious romantic tension between Chisato and Takina and not develop romance between them so that they may become a couple then I'd call it bait but for now it's just unfinished

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm okay with a good bait so long as we don't get the switch... Like, I'm very happy with gundam but I'm keeping my guard up ! LoL

joined Apr 14, 2022

I would understand calling LycoReco bait if and only if it wasn't obviously setting up a season two. Even if said season two never comes the fact that it's set up still shows that the story isn't finished.

Personally, this doesn't matter for my purposes because there is a 0% chance I'm watching a season 2.

Ending spoilers
I mean, I already went into how I disliked the whole story, but the way they set up for a continuation was especially appalling. Majima surviving a fall from, like, literally 1000 feet high is such bad writing. Give me a break! I have zero investment in the plot when it continuously does this.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Stuff White Rose said

Uh, you might want to read the short story set between episodes 0 and 1

Thank you so much for the link! I had no idea that this short story even existed. In the anime forums I read, for some reason, nobody mentioned it.

Tbh I did think it was a bit weird that mc didn't seem to recognize at all the surname Rembran. So it's not that she's out for revenge from the start, rather she's in for a big, horrifying revelation in the future, huehehe. I wonder how far with revenge her mother will ask her to go?

Oh yeah baby, bring me that good Romeo and Juliet drama! My body craves it!

Hehe, Romeo and Juliet are a good reference, but in this case I think Rodrigue and Chimène are even better. (⁀ ᗢ⁀)

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

DY4Y posted:

Now, were season two to also ignore the obvious romantic tension between Chisato and Takina and not develop romance between them so that they may become a couple then I'd call it bait but for now it's just unfinished

Yeah, totally fair. For me, the lack of ending confirmation wasn't significant. I never expected that going in, nor do I find it necessary. So I probably couldn't label it bait at that point, but I still wouldn't have been recommending it for strong female relationships, either. Open to trying a few episodes in season two (or more likely its movie series, I guess) to see if anything's changed, though.

protectmomo posted:

If you're a big fan of girls with guns, you've probably heard of this one already, but I'll mention it just in case; the aptly-named Gunslinger Girl might be up your ally. There is no pretension of yuri (nor het) whatsoever, mind you, but it has a very similar concept to Lycoris Recoil of orphan girls becoming government assassins who fight terrorism. Unlike Lycoris Recoil, it's much darker in tone and takes itself seriously, but I found that it had an actually engaging plot that was capable of turning on the waterworks.

Yuki Kitsune posted:

I second this. It was a series I avoided for a time because it looked like it was going to be all Loli girls (especially knowing some of the other thing Yu Aida worked on). But it ended up being quite amazing. There's a bit of het crush--especially later in the books, less so in the parts covered in the anime--but it's addressed really well. The quality of the story is excellent, and many tears were shed.

Thanks for the double rec! Yeah I have seen it, but so long ago I've forgotten almost all of it. Definitely enjoyed it at the time though. Maybe we'll go for a rewatch...

last edited at Oct 6, 2022 2:39PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Personally, this doesn't matter for my purposes because there is a 0% chance I'm watching a season 2.

Ending spoilers
I mean, I already went into how I disliked the whole story, but the way they set up for a continuation was especially appalling. Majima surviving a fall from, like, literally 1000 feet high is such bad writing. Give me a break! I have zero investment in the plot when it continuously does this.

Yeah, true. Majima surviving virtually anything was absolutely ridiculous. Really, if we're talking about the writing itself, the show is at best mediocre, if not outright bad. I only came to enjoy it because I went into it expecting this kind of writing. I mean, you can already tell a lot about an anime just from the opening, and when they throw what I'd basically count as fanart of the girls during intermissions just to show them in cute/cool/hot/whatever outfits, says a lot about what their focus was on during production...

As for the original post, I don't think I agree with this idea. It seems to me that they are never planning to be explicit about it, no matter how many seasons the show gets. I'd honestly be surprised if they followed through any of these implications in a second season.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Stardust Telepath is getting an anime. Did the yuri in that ever go anywhere?

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

Ending spoilers

Nothing against you not liking the show cause that's totally valid but I don't know why you expect realism given Chisato casually dodges machine gun bullets and Majima surviving an almost point blank explosion previously already. Have you seen John Wick? Pretty sure he survived some five hundred feet building fall and you don't see him dodging bullets the way Chisato does. You're expecting the show to give you something it never promised you.

last edited at Oct 6, 2022 4:19PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Ending spoilers

Nothing against you not liking the show cause that's totally valid but I don't know why you expect realism given Chisato casually dodges machine gun bullets and Majima surviving an almost point blank explosion previously already. Have you seen John Wick? Pretty sure he survived some five hundred feet building fall and you don't see him dodging bullets the way Chisato does. You're expecting the show to give you something it never promised you.

That's a fair point, but given that Chisato supposedly had a "gift" that allowed her to do that and that everyone else seems to die more or less normally, it is a bit silly that only Majima somehow survives every damn thing, so I kinda get where the op is coming from.

On a somewhat unrelated note, the mention of bullets also reminded me of the fake bullets that Chisato used and can I just say that those seemed like the most useless thing? Like, I get that the whole point was that they shouldn't simply take anybody's life, but I couldn't help but think that: (a) there was literally no reason for anyone to drop unconscious the way they often did when they were shot, and (b) the amount of times someone was put in danger because of these damn fake bullets being useless and not taking enemies out was absurd and actually had me thinking they'd be better off killing them. I mean, the "injure but don't kill" policy made some sense but those things offered no protection and constantly put their team in danger.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

Stardust Telepath is getting an anime. Did the yuri in that ever go anywhere?

Oh my God, we're getting nice stuff all of a sudden !
My friend said to look forward if the animate something from vol 3 so I guess... we will see

joined Apr 14, 2022

Nothing against you not liking the show cause that's totally valid but I don't know why you expect realism given Chisato casually dodges machine gun bullets and Majima surviving an almost point blank explosion previously already. Have you seen John Wick? Pretty sure he survived some five hundred feet building fall and you don't see him dodging bullets the way Chisato does.

Repeating what I said before...

Also, despite being well-animated, the action was terribly written. The level of plot armour is just objectively bad writing, for both the protagonist and antagonists. Nameless Lyco gets hit by a car, she's a goner. Chisato gets hit by a car, not even a scratch. Majima tanks literally dozens of bullets that incapacitate anyone else after one or two shots, and is unscathed by a point-blank rocket explosion. The key to suspension of disbelief is internal consistency - it's okay to write a goofy action anime with cartoon-tier violence, but if you do, it should be consistent. As it is, the action has no weight to it and yet sometimes it ends with schoolgirls being brutally murdered and at other times it doesn't, with the only consistency to it being "named characters are invincible".

Nowhere in my post did I mention anything about "realism". The key to good writing is for the world to be faithful to its own rules. You can write a 'realistic' story about magic; you're just telling a story about a universe with different laws of physics. There's no reason a fictional universe has to have the same laws of physics as our universe. But it must follow its own laws. If it doesn't, suspension of disbelief goes out the window, and it becomes difficult for viewers to become invested in what they see happening because they can't trust what they see. This is like, good writing 101.

I have zero problems with Chisato dodging bullets or Majima being a bathuman, because those things are part of this universe's established rules: some people are born with superhuman talents, and these people are recognised as Alan Children. But nowhere does it suggest that Alan Children are also immortals (indeed, it explicitly contradicts this). Violence is routinely shown to be perfectly lethal in all normal cases; there is no reason to believe this universe's laws include increased human survivability. The only time violence is ineffective is when it's convenient for the plot.

You're expecting the show to give you something it never promised you.

I'd argue that any good fictional story has an implicit promise to be internally consistent, if it wants people to care about the events that occur. The only place I would expect otherwise is in something like a gag comedy where the plot is non-existent.

Also, I will add as an addendum that it's possible to think something is poorly written, from an objective view, and still like it. Nothing wrong with people liking LycoReco! I have plenty of guilty pleasures that I like despite knowing that they aren't well-written, and LycoReco would have probably been one of them if it were a good deal more gay. Alas, it is not for me.

last edited at Oct 6, 2022 7:02PM

joined Jul 2, 2013

Honestly that's a pretty long reply so forgive me for only scanning but Majima is shown to survive the subway explosion and another point blank explosion. Now he survived the fall. I'd argue that's pretty consistent.

joined Apr 14, 2022

I think it's kind of rude to say you're not going to bother reading what I wrote, but still argue against it...

joined Jul 2, 2013

Scanning is still reading it I'm just not keen on honing into the details of a show that's 70% slice of life. The only point I tried to say is that you're expecting things the show never promised. The show never really went out of its way to detail how their world works aside from the general gist of things. Chisato surviving getting hit by the car can easily be chalked to her eyesight allowing her to lessen the impact or just even the fact that she's a more talented lycoris than the other just off of their uniforms. Majima could easily balance himself out of a fatal fall. After all that's related to his talent is it not?

last edited at Oct 6, 2022 9:24PM

joined Jan 13, 2021

I don't normally do CGDCT or Kirara stuff, but Bocchi the Rock had a damn fun premiere? I recall trying the manga on a whim ages ago, only for it to make no real impression, but the anime just pops with style and color and charm (truly the second coming of K-On, though I sure hope it doesn't end up getting co-opted by the worst people on the planet as well). The introverted protagonist, which at this point has gone well beyond being a common trope and reached the level of a cry for help ironically stifled by its own ubiquity, glimmers in renewed darkness through Bocchi. I think what sets our bubblegum babbler apart from her closeted compatriots is precisely the fact that she acts like she's almost entirely alone in the world and the first and only person ever to suffer social anxiety, and channels this into a melodrama so unabashedly abashed that it bumblefucks its way into a raw authenticity (as raw as anime can be, anyway, which is about the level of an undercooked batch of scrambled eggs [I honestly like this show, I swear]).

I love a show that doesn't take itself too seriously, but is also so dedicated to this non-seriousness that it busts out an entire repertoire of tricks to deflate budding bathos, ranging from ironic self-quoting to elaborate daydreams to not-so-subtle jabs at teenagers to fake-out ending themes. It's very dedicated to capturing the absurdity of trying to figure out how in the ever-loving fuck to human being as a teenager, but it's precisely because it jokes about the whole experience in eighty different ways that you can tell that the story genuinely cares. It also fits with the whole theme of being an artist and messing about as you try to figure out your sound, leaning into all the hackneyed lines and self-pitying screeches so you can get 'em out of your system and into a soundscape, barfing up new recipes as you reverse-engineer individuality. I look forward to Bocchi realising that everyone's a bit of a freak and normalcy is eternally the first and last station on a train that never stops, so the key to being a good artist is to figure out how to sell tickets to your travelling cryptid circus. The Girls are Not Going to Be Alright and I, for one, am going for the next dozen weeks to integrate this show into my New Subnormal.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

A manga about music without music is just screaming for an anime so I'm glad this one got one... In the same boat, we'll have a few years for Kyoani to make the next K-on (there's an ongoing manga with a new school)

Tumblr_pt8ll4hf781saqlhvo1_500
joined Mar 12, 2018

A manga about music without music is just screaming for an anime so I'm glad this one got one... In the same boat, we'll have a few years for Kyoani to make the next K-on (there's an ongoing manga with a new school)

I wasn't aware that there was a new k-on manga, which one is it ? That's some big news !

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I wasn't aware that there was a new k-on manga, which one is it ? That's some big news !

It's not like, new new, they're prob referring to K-On! Shuffle, which has been going since 2019
https://mangadex.org/title/2442e655-dcfe-4ed2-99de-d5b212836b64/k-on-shuffle

joined Mar 11, 2016

we'll have a few years for Kyoani to make the next K-on (there's an ongoing manga with a new school)

Kyoani? That's bad news. They are notorious for worst kind of yuri baiting
(its just a phase lol)

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Pretty happy with the new stuff so far, the alchemist is really cute...
But a little disappointed with Yama no susume, I thought the first episode was to introduce the main characters but they're actually retelling everything with new stuff here and there, is hard to tell because it's been so long since I watched the first seasons.

So I just went to investigate, the first part of the episodes is new stuff, the rest is recap, and that will continue for 2 more episodes... There's something I really don't like in season 3 so I'll probably skip the recaps of 3 and 4, only watching the first 3 minutes of new content and then come back for episode 5!

joined Mar 12, 2018

we'll have a few years for Kyoani to make the next K-on (there's an ongoing manga with a new school)

(its just a phase lol)

I don't know, they did make Mugi explicitly a lesbian.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

(its just a phase lol)

They did? I guess that was some time after I stopped following the series.

Did they give her a girlfriend, or a canon romantic partner?

joined Mar 12, 2018

(its just a phase lol)

No, they didn't give her a girlfriend but in season 1, she was openly crushing on Sawako and when Mio and Ritsu asked her about it, Mugi told them that love between two girls is beautiful or something like that.

If I'm not mistaking, it was in season 1 episode 5.

last edited at Oct 13, 2022 5:25PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

(its just a phase lol)

No, they didn't give her a girlfriend but in season 1, she was openly crushing on Sawako and when Mio and Ritsu asked her about it, Mugi told them that love between two girls is beautiful or something like that.

Yep, episode 5.
Though she doesn't have a crush on Sawako. Mio thinks she does but when Ritsu asks her Mugi corrects them by saying that she just thinks that girl on girl stuff is pretty nice ("女の子同士っていいなって").
So Mugi likes yuri but whether or not she's into girls, who knows?

joined Mar 12, 2018

Yep, episode 5.
Though she doesn't have a crush on Sawako. Mio thinks she does but when Ritsu asks her Mugi corrects them by saying that she just thinks that girl on girl stuff is pretty nice ("女の子同士っていいなって").
So Mugi likes yuri but whether or not she's into girls, who knows?

My bad, back then I watched it with fansub subtitles and I was pretty sure that there were some ambiguities about her crushing on Sawako. I watched the episode again and you were right.

Thanks for correcting me :)

To reply you must either login or sign up.