Forum › Please Bully Me, Miss Villainess! (novel ver.) discussion

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

This is ten times better than the idiotic manhua version.

Why? It's pretty much exactly the same.

I'm thinking it's because there's none of the horribly artificial conflict between mcs—Evie gone hysterical, hurting Elsa, kicking her out, crying, repenting, going after her next day, trying to pretend all's okay... all that bs.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I'm thinking it's because there's none of the horribly artificial conflict between mcs—Evie gone hysterical, hurting Elsa, kicking her out, crying, repenting, going after her next day, trying to pretend all's okay... all that bs.

Isn't that just because we haven't gotten there, yet? I went to compare this chapter and the previous with the manhua and it seems note for note the same.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Here comes our favorite 5 star gold SSR boy…. Garth!

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Everything is better with the guidance of the goddess of lilies. (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

This is translated from Chinese, right? I noticed the word "yuri" appears several times. I wonder what word do they use in Chinese? Tangerine?

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Everything is better with the guidance of the goddess of lilies. (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

This is translated from Chinese, right? I noticed the word "yuri" appears several times. I wonder what word do they use in Chinese? Tangerine?

Translated from Chinese yes. The Chinese word for yuri uses the same characters as the original Japanese and has the same meaning. 百合 / Lily. Pronounced differently though, of course (bai3 he2). In the interest of localization, ironically, those were kept as "yuri".

As for that "tangerine" thing... Do not speak of that abomination.

I'm half-joking. There's nothing wrong with it inherently and "citrus" / variations of that are other Chinese slang for GL/yuri/FxF stuff. I just have a grudge against them. But anyway, the original Chinese word for the genre was literally "yuri" in that it had the same characters as the Japanese phrase and it is still the most commonly used phrase for the genre.

last edited at Sep 8, 2022 1:17AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Who was this genderbent version of Evie?!

Such a brilliant description, truly made me laugh. :D

Also, "the man of yuri". :D

joined Jul 6, 2020

a true knight of yuri huh, you gotta wonder how wlw fiction got so popular in this high euro-fantasy setting haha

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Was that a Manaria Friends reference? Because that is the only Owen the yuri knight I can think of... :D

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

a true knight of yuri huh, you gotta wonder how wlw fiction got so popular in this high euro-fantasy setting haha

There are even fiction heros who play as role models for the children: Owen the Yuri Knight!

idreamofayuriworld
joined Sep 13, 2022

I believe the third paragraph of chapter 21 (beginning with " No, no, never!..") is the greatest paragraph I have ever read.
So magnificant is it, that it has caused me to stop lurking and make an account.
Manifold thanks, authors and translators.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Isn't that just because we haven't gotten there, yet? I went to compare this chapter and the previous with the manhua and it seems note for note the same.

The manhua felt fairly rocky to me at the start. Maybe most of that was overflow from annoyance for the outfits not making sense. I wasn't sure if parts were flashbacks because the famous academy apparently shares a uniform design with the new school ... a uniform which Elsa needed to buy with her savings (when though?). Yvonne wearing different clothes some days was also a bit odd for a non-noble trying to pass the year. I questioned the chronology in ways I didn't have to in the novel.

The novel is more detailed but otherwise the same plot. I'm not sure which I prefer for recent chapters, but it'll probably be the novel in the long run because I want better justification for any plot-convenient reveals about Evie. And emotional turmoil is usually better expressed by text, so the novel shines in that in exchange for losing most of the visual impact (of romantic and lewd moments in this case).

last edited at Sep 14, 2022 10:23PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That hurt.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

On a lighter note, did you fellas noticed Elsa almost said "Garthie" when talking to Yvonne about Garth? So cute!

It seems it's a rule of this manhua: the moment you decide somebody is a really good person and want to get closer to them, you must give them a cute nickname! Thus we got "Evie," "Vonnie," and now Garthie.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, yes, what could that mysterious feeling possibly be...?

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Muh babies are still angsting and I'm still like .

joined Sep 1, 2021

Oh right it was confirmed in ch23 that a mare misled OG Yvonne, though not explicitly confirmed in the manga yet. It's not surprising, I'm just glad it's in the canon and gives a hint how the Villainess System formed even if it only appeared when Evie first saw Elsa at school. Evie probably recognizes the connection... but she's proven extremely dense when it's convenient for herself.

last edited at Sep 22, 2022 10:54PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Evie continues to be the densest. :D

Stare%20-%20copy
joined Sep 1, 2022

love Evie's depressed self-pity logic, "I always avoided other people at a school. I am truly a villain."

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Did the manga have Evie going over how she was a loner in her past life as well? It's been awhile so I can't recall.

Nene posted:

Incandescent can actually mean "displaying intense emotion," though I don't think I've heard it used that way very often at all.

joined Jul 6, 2020

Elsa: mommy yvonne~

Evie: this better not awaken anything in me

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Kind of hot, indeed. :D

joined Oct 12, 2013

Did the manga have Evie going over how she was a loner in her past life as well? It's been awhile so I can't recall.

Nene posted:

Incandescent can actually mean "displaying intense emotion," though I don't think I've heard it used that way very often at all.

“Incandescent with rage” is something I’ve heard often enough to have just assumed that’s what was meant there. I think it’s more common in IE/UK English than other dialects though.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Nene posted:

“Incandescent with rage” is something I’ve heard often enough to have just assumed that’s what was meant there. I think it’s more common in IE/UK English than other dialects though.

And

The sky was still cloudy and grey. / Yet for some reason, Yvonne felt that Elsa was radiant.

People with magic power in this universe must be light sources. Light sourceresses.

TBH I like brightness and temperature metaphors a lot because it's simple to visualize the emotion. Weather is good too. Comparing someone to an animal or a flower or something is fine but open to interpretation.

last edited at Sep 28, 2022 10:28PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.