Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Ec324dcc-cdf2-41b8-a84a-08270b64c8bc
joined Feb 20, 2019

he is my headache in my butt now

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

What the hell? Why are people mad at "Jerkface?" So far he's only been helping them become actual friends. Even when he was introduced, he didn't even imply he would try to take Aya for himself after learning about her and Mitsuki. In fact, he's one of the few guys I like in a yuri setting. Am I missing something?

Someone give me the rundown because I don't want to read these paragraphs

You are not missing anything. People are just really hard to please and they are engaging in discourse that has NOTHING to do with the plot.

I will sum up things tho and try to put an end at this bs so we don’t get called out by the mods for the 200th time:

People are trying to make him a problematic presence because of an interpretation out of nowhere from Chapter 15 saying that he was sexualising a f/f relationship and acting predator-like. However, as the title of the chapter says (thank you, @Kirin for adding them), Ch.15 with his POV is about him thinking how cool Mitsuki actually is. A totally innocent thing. People pulled out the “oh no the male gaze and straight males seeing lesbian relationships under that lens” out of nowhere.

Here is a REAL summary of the Jerkface dude, (by someone who engages in this forum to talk about the plot and deadass created a discord to discuss the series and follow updates + make memes, so you know i’ve been rereading it daily)

!!!! Feel free to ignore it !!!!

He is helping them, and he knows it. He probably is not that aware that this is a romantic situation (so far we haven’t seen Mitsuki disclose that she knows Aya has a crush on this male persona).
His introduction was shitty (“oh a guy who thinks he can make people do stuff for him because his pretty and his target is girls because hetero”). But he is actually quite a savvy character:

A) Noticed Aya was hanging out with >Mitsuki< (not a dude) right away,
B) appreciated Mitsuki’s style so asked her why she’s so different at school (look-wise, since he doesn’t know her. why do you wear glasses at school?), had no idea what the situation was so he assumed Aya and Mitsuki were friends hanging out at the store and one of them is super stylish, he didn’t know there was a crush/Onii-san situation so he wanted to HANG OUT with the cool-looking classmate — y’know, NORMAL THINGS people do, specially when they are students, asking if they can join the FRIEND CIRCLE
C) Disagreed with Mitsuki’s close-minded POV pulled straight out of a teen drama (“popular kids and quiet ones don’t mix up”) right away
D) The latest chapter

last edited at Sep 20, 2022 9:50AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So where did this use of “discourse” as a pejorative term for things people don’t want to hear come from?

Because it’s all “discourse”—even the shitty clip-art memes.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

^^^^^
The shitty clip-art memes are actually talking about the damn story instead of trying to make a 4-page twitter manga problematic by forcing some random discussion that has no place on a comedy manga

If this thread was just shitty memes and “cool they talked about Nirvana” we wouldn’t be called out by Admins so often

++
I said “discourse that has nothing to do with the story” I didn’t use the term discourse incorrectly… It’s all discourse, but some discourse has no place here. And at 85 pages one would think we were way past that.

last edited at Sep 20, 2022 9:52AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^^^^^
The shitty clip-art memes are actually talking about the damn story instead of trying to make a 4-page twitter manga problematic by forcing some random discussion that has no place on a comedy manga

I didn’t say the meme was off topic—I meant the clip art was shitty.

And you’re not the only one to use the term “discourse” around here recently, a term that has previously rarely appeared in any forum thread I’ve ever read.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

^^^^^

I didn’t say the meme was off topic—I meant the clip art was shitty.

it's supposed to be shitty, that's the fun of it hehe

but yeah, a lot of people are wasting their time talking about stuff unrelated to the story, which is extremely annoying and we will all just keep fighting instead of enjoying the manga

joined Aug 22, 2022

I’m confused why there’s all this analysis on “she’s good at sport”.
She’s one of two people that run a business that has a lot of stock turnover in short periods. New album dropping means getting all the stock ahead of release, then setting it up in time for customers, and so on. That on top of normal restocking etc and you’re gonna either get a solid core or injure yourself.

“Trope stereotype oh noes”
Yeah, because butch women are super uncommon irl.

“She doesn’t want to stand out, so she should avoid participating in a class” because that’s not conspicuous…?
“Basic level of participation while looking basic” is the best way to coast in Japan, socially.

Why all the “discourse”?!?!

What’s this queer-Twitter “anyone can be whatever they want but not if it’s common or traditional” mishegas?

“LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE I AM!!! I DON’T APPROVE OF THINGS THAT CAN BE DESCRIBED WITHOUT NEOLOGISMS!!!”

You are absolutely correct—you are very confused.
…about why someone would have a negative opinion of her being good at sport.

I swear to The Gods everyday this thread found a new silly thing to argue about

Pretty much.

It’s bananas.

The bleeding edge of progressive is and always has been completely insane and up-in-arms all the time even when it doesn’t need to be.

That’s how it works. It’s necessary, but so are reality checks.

This feels very emotionally realistic and grounded, and has stuff that could easily happen in real livfe.
So people latched onto it as a chance to say “depictions of reality should not have things like that. They should depict my ideals” not realising that this is exactly what they disapprove of.

A guy admiring a person as a person isn’t problematic, nor is a butch being casually butch.

It’s all (in the actual definition, not the common misuse) virtue signalling. Looking for something to publicly disapprove of.

What’s next? People saying their liking Western music is cultural appropriation?

Let the gay teen drama be a gay teen drama.

Are people screaming about how problematic loli is every time it gets posted? I just roll my eyes, shudder and scroll past it.

last edited at Sep 20, 2022 12:18PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

and we're back to your regularly scheduled discussions, arguments, and debates in the comments section.

also to wlftchtr82 please update the list. I had to go way back on page 43 to find it. man, we have come a long way on these two girls with Jerkfa...er....Jeff.

last edited at Sep 20, 2022 9:28PM

joined Feb 1, 2021

Are people screaming about how problematic loli is every time it gets posted?

Weirdly enough, that's like the one thing the admins don't want people arguing about.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

and we're back to your regularly scheduled discussions, arguments, and debates in the comments section.

also to wlftchtr82 please update the list. I had to go way back on page 43 to find it. man, we have come a long way on these two girls with Jerkfa...er....Jeff.

Oh my god, someone is reading the list! (> '-*)>

Due to personal reasons (exams) I haven't been able to update it since Chapter 12 (oof), but I was turning it into a Google Doc so people wouldn't have to search for a forum post. Also, the same link can be used for people to access all the updates...

Here is the draft. Haven't edited it since late August because taking screenshots is too much work. Promise I'll get back on it as soon as possible.

For now the closest there is to a band/artists list is this playlist one of the Discord members created. They update it weekly, adding songs by the mentioned artists and, if it's the case, the album.
I understand not everyone is willing to check a playlist (even tho it slaps), so I'll update you soon.

last edited at Sep 20, 2022 11:05PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Oh my god, someone is reading the list! (> '-*)>

Due to personal reasons (exams) I haven't been able to update it since Chapter 12 (oof), but I was turning it into a Google Doc so people wouldn't have to search for a forum post. Also, the same link can be used for people to access all the updates...

Here is the draft. Haven't edited it since late August because taking screenshots is too much work. Promise I'll get back on it as soon as possible.

For now the closest there is to a band/artists list is this playlist one of the Discord members created. They update it weekly, adding songs by the mentioned artists and, if it's the case, the album.
I understand not everyone is willing to check a playlist (even tho it slaps), so I'll update you soon.

you're damn right I'm reading the list! <(*-' <)

and that's understandable. take care of your school work til you have the free time to update the list. which at this point, rn it's all about the progression between the two with some bands being spotted in between.

joined Sep 22, 2021

I really love this. I can't wait to read more.

joined Aug 22, 2022

Weirdly enough, that's like the one thing the admins don't want people arguing about.

…yikes.

joined Feb 1, 2021

…yikes.

I know, right?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Mr. Jones posted:

…yikes.

I know, right?

Only because it always derails to one user calling every reader and the mangaka pedophiles and other insults, and insulting other is against the rules, it's very simple unlike what you're trying to do right now to further ruin this conversation for everyone.

Seriously, this little story was too good for us, we can't have nice things... I'm not coming back to this thread, it was fun but now it ruins the experience.

last edited at Sep 21, 2022 12:18PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Dynasty forum being the dynasty forum and getting its panties in a twist for the weirdest shit.

Aya and Mitsuki don't deserve that...

joined Jul 23, 2014

I swear is always the cutest and most harmless mangas that get the most toxic comment sections

Aya and Mitsuki don't deserve that...

preach

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

GeemFlebRep posted:

I’m confused why there’s all this analysis on “she’s good at sport”.

You seem very concerned with belaboring the ills of "progressivism" when it is barely, if at all, related to what others are posting. It's extremely off-topic and not helpful to this conversation. Stop doing it. As has been stated three times previously, if you do not see merit in a given discussion you are welcome to avoid it. When you do participate, you are expected to do so without derision or dismissal. The rules are always available for review. Failure to comply in the future will see offending posts removed. Thanks.

Nya-chan posted:

Dynasty forum being the dynasty forum and getting its panties in a twist for the weirdest shit.

These drive-by comments are not remotely helpful, either. Refrain from making them again. Thanks.

last edited at Sep 21, 2022 5:29PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Mr. Jones posted:

If you see any given user violating the rules, Rule 10* in this case, please report it in the FAQ thread at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

*Tags are meant to inform users so that they may interact with works that appeal to them, and avoid those which do not. Avoid making repetitive comments on works with tags you wish to avoid. Repeat offenders may be disciplined as necessary. This rule also applies to pairing tags. Do not engage in "shipping wars" in doujin threads or image comments.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

GeemFlebRep posted:

You seem very concerned with belaboring the ills of "progressivism" when it is barely, if at all, related to what others are posting. It's extremely off-topic and not helpful to this conversation. Stop doing it. As has been stated three times previously, if you do not see merit in a given discussion you are welcome to avoid it. When you do participate, you are expected to do so without derision or dismissal.

Lol. I said it’s necessary, because it is. It’s there to break old things down. It’s a wrecking ball, though, and centre-left is there to pick up the pieces and pass it to the centrists, and the right complains about the new stuff, like it was better before.
It’s like repaving a road. Someone rips up the old stuff, making a mess. People come and put down new stuff that works. All the while some people complain about the traffic and the smell instead of appreciating an improvement.

What I’m talking about:
“Any possibility of a relationship means dishonesty of any kind is the worst thing ever” oy, vey, it’s basic drama.
“What if she was trans” absolute mishegas, and offensive.
“Tropes stereotypes oh no” rachmana litzlon! The horror! /s

There are other pointless arguments happening, but whatever.

I’m not exactly gonna mourn the loss of commenting here if you don’t like how I tell people to chill the f out.

I wonder why just now you decided to show up. It’s almost as if I brought up a certain subject in passing…

Sure. Banned 30 days for repeat violations of Rule 1, Rule 9, and a refusal to stop when told. You're welcome to return after, provided you're able to follow the rules. Always available for review. Take care.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

OMG... this... is... perfection!!!! I just found this and am so in loooove! reminds me of my school days. Now I wanna hang out at a record store. The protagonists are so cute/cool. Loving every bit!!

OMG... this... is... perfection!!!! I just found this and am so in loooove! reminds me of my school days. Now I wanna hang out at a record store. The protagonists are so cute/cool. Loving every bit!!

Right? It's a whole-ass vibe, and just inspiring tbh

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

This week we have ANGST

3818_1775681535988481_4988113658273068935_n
joined Jun 15, 2016

This week we have ANGST

ANGSTember
BUT I LOVE IT

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Why does she have band aids on each fingers ?

To reply you must either login or sign up.