Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

NewtMarshmallow
29216120_985796631584578_7844572378056777434_n
joined Nov 5, 2017

"boo hoo i got bullied by the school from the past and now I'm gonna plot some death traps to the current students in high school to justify the means of killing the delinquents and bullies" bullshit

7c3371fc-1218-42e3-9009-8520d7f626fa
joined Sep 15, 2020

Yeah, I knew the VP wasn’t gonna be any better than the way she was introduced with all her associations with the Prez. Actually you could tell that it was somewhat hinted that she could’ve been the worst of the two with how the story described Prez’s reasonings to be relating to her past and anything that happened to him directly. Doing it for a savior complex and achieving “justice” is one thing, but to witness a death and revel in it is another level of psychotic. How is what they did justice when Michinaga was no more than a victim with how she was constantly manipulated by everyone she could reach out to, other than Satsuki that is.

The thing is they’re in fucking high school now, if they started in elementary, how many have they fucking murdered and no one has noticed a pattern of unusually high deaths in students for the schools they’ve gone to? I doubt that they’ve waited until Satsuki showed to start doing this shit, so it’s likely that it’s just been low key enough that until Satsuki went against them, no one’s been smart to figure out they’ve been causing “accidents”

joined Dec 21, 2016

"boo hoo i got bullied by the school from the past and now I'm gonna plot some death traps to the current students in high school to justify the means of killing the delinquents and bullies" bullshit

I wasn't expecting any better, they pull this crap in a lot of manga.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

This isn't any justification for their actions, it's explaining the origin of their villainy. To me it also feels like it's setting up prez finding out that Michiru didn't try to kill Miho with his line "But it's bad to blame people for things you're not sure they did." in the flashback.

joined Aug 13, 2021

I honestly like that we're seeing the backstory for those two. Not because it will excuse anything that they have done, but so we can see how someone can become careless about the sanctity of life, as they are confronted with the paragon of life preservation no matter the cost, Satsuki. They might not be great characters but they are great as foils and as part of the series' larger themes.

joined Mar 19, 2022

I still maintain my stance that only the death of the president is going to stop him, and that killing him or noticing that he is in danger and doing nothing is the morally correct thing to do. Normally I am 100% against the death penalty, but since there is no way to prove he is responsible, he can't be locked up.

Laminatestasis
Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

Please, please, please don't let the backstory take too many chapters. I need to see Satsuki. Need to see her recover from this. T.T

8abdf478-6a82-44b1-8f02-abaa8c9ba316
joined May 20, 2022

I still maintain my stance that only the death of the president is going to stop him, and that killing him or noticing that he is in danger and doing nothing is the morally correct thing to do. Normally I am 100% against the death penalty, but since there is no way to prove he is responsible, he can't be locked up.

I’m usually so against this, but yeah. Someone get Bus Kun on the phone and run this guy over. Then back the bus up and do it again.

The vice president back story was absolute bullshit "I got bullied so I'm going to kill people" I'm against bullying but still that's way to far

joined Mar 23, 2022

I'm surprised that I'm not interested on whatever flashback this duo has to offer. what I hope to see is how my poor satsuki will get back on her feet to beat the ass of these mere peasants.

joined Feb 27, 2018

I’m usually so against this, but yeah. Someone get Bus Kun on the phone and run this guy over. Then back the bus up and do it again.

Naah, I’d rather he get to watch all his ideals unravel, be revealed as the hypocrite he is and have to live with the knowledge he set up and killed a victim (the type of person he’s allegedly trying to save) for the rest of his life.

The Vice President is a lot more terrifying to me, I think she’s legitimately has the makings of a serial killer and is living out her desires through the president, because she believes it’s a fool proof means of murder/not getting caught. I:E she’s the serial killer, the president is just her weapon. Though she probably has some sort of delusional belief that he’s divine or something.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 9:25AM

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Ugh gross were stuck with that tool of a president for the next few chapters while we get backstory that is supposed to make us feel bad for both of the two murderers? Honestly not looking forward to the next few chapters.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

yeah others have already said their piece on how the student council duo are complete murderous assholes for doing what they do, and I myself only have to add that like, to a certain extent taking revenge on those that wrong you is like not the correct thing to do but still understandable.

And in the backstory chapters we are certainly going to see that kind of semi-justified revenge. BUT once you start taking your anger out on people who have literally nothing to do with it anymore. Michiru for one who is now dead not because she did something to the vice prez or even because she wanted to truly hurt someone else, but because she was set up (likely by the vice president) because the prez has no qualms killing a person he believes to be irredeemable.

Genuinely though I think the prez' line about how "it is wrong to blame people for something you're not even sure they did" is an indicator. I really do hope that the prez will find out that Michiru was set up and that he then comes to fully realize that he was not in any way justified for doing what he did, and likely that the vice prez has been playing him like a fiddle to get to murder people from the position of a victim no matter how little of a victim she even is anymore.

And I'm not looking for the prez to go through a redemption arc I just want to see his worldview crumble under its own weight. To get to see his argument void itself as it turns out that his logic has been used from the very start to hurt people who really do not deserve it.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I loved to see where this all came from, now I understand.

joined May 29, 2021

Man the reactions to this chapter have been so kneejerk and childish.

"Oh boo-hoo, I'm supposed to forgive because the vice president was bullied?"

No, they're the main villains. This is supposed to explain how they became the way they are. The vice president was in a pretty terrible situation and the president saved her from it. Then they got revenge. And decided to escalate from there. They are Satsuki's ideological opposite and this is supposed to explain to you how that happened.

"I'm not gonna read anymore until the Prez stops showing up!"

Well then prepare to skip the rest of the manga, because they are very obviously the main villains.

"I'm against killing, but some people are so evil they need to die!"

I find this one especially funny, because I'm willing to bet that's exactly the rationale the Prez and Vice Prez used when they started. That's how EVERY slippery slope starts. Satsuki's entire raison d'etre is that she WON'T kill, even through inaction, even if the person is vile. If she were to let that ideal go she'd be no better than the Prez, so there's absolutely no way that would be the way she'd let it end. That would mean he wins.

joined Mar 25, 2019

Chapter felt shorter than usual. Anyway, I don't think any amount of backstory will save prez as an antagonist really. He just doesn't have that spark you know? He feels more like a nuisance than an actual threat even after the Zeus kill.

Man if they had made someone like Tokiko as the antagonist it would be super awesome. I think someone who is very unempathetic and almost has zero regard for human life is a more compelling foil to Satsuki. The opposite of love is indifference or something along those lines. Her curse would be a better way to handwave the amount of potential deaths than the prez's Wile E. Coyote plans. Satsuki's ideology would still be challenged, now she has a foe who is causing all these deaths but is not really culpable and at the same time completely indifferent to the impact she has to those around her. What does Satsuki do to stop this? Can she just follow the Tokiko around for the rest of her life or will she finally break and kill her even though Tokiko isn't even guilty? She can't even be sure that it actually is Tokiko that's causing all the deaths.

Right now Satsuki's main challenge is outsmarting the prez. The story tries to present it as an ideological battle but really it doesn't work. The prez's ideology can work in concept as a foil to hers but the way he implements it is absurd and completely untenable. If he were to have his way, it's more likely the school would be shut down instead or he'll get caught setting up a piano to fall on someone or something.

Oh and the VP is dying 100%, calling it now. This chapter is an obvious death flag. Villain's stoic sidekick gets a tragic backstory chapter? She dead.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 1:47PM

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

LMAO Yeah no, sorry Author there's nothing you can do to make me feel empathy for these two, or understand their shitty reasons

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

Well then prepare to skip the rest of the manga, because they are very obviously the main villains.

Not really sure if they are the main villains, they feel more like arc-wise antagonists, we still have a lot to unwrap that doesn't feel like they are going to be part of

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 5:16PM

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

I'm for this. It will make that moment the president learns he killed an innocent person all the more sweet.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Oh and the VP is dying 100%, calling it now. This chapter is an obvious death flag. Villain's stoic sidekick gets a tragic backstory chapter? She dead.

Maybe. I agree with the flags, and the description of VP being the main serial killer and prez being her idol and her weapon weapon. I expect Prez will kill her or murder-suicide. Then the broader mystery continues because these two (thankfully) aren't the main antagonist.

Having just binge-read Walk to Death, I want someone like Tokiko for an antagonist too. We know there's some supernatural element in play, from Satsuki's grade-level, so a curse or ability makes sense. Komachi is a bit different sort of psychopath than Tokiko but we have no evidence she's supernatural, though Komachi could be willing to facilitate murders and suicide. Satsuki and prez have been surrounded by deaths they could prevent, but it seemed like the number is even higher since high school. Maybe a third person can see bodies and the influence tripled? Or maybe Satsuki and prez have no pull towards deaths unless there's a third party involved (like VP).

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 5:20PM

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

We learned with Walk to Death that this author is really sadistic, I have the feel that he is building up President/VP's confidence and cockyness just so he can destroy it completly at some point with a really heavy turn of events

AngelsDoNotCry
Goat-removebg-preview%20(1)%20(2)
joined May 30, 2022

Welp, dang I was expecting some roundabout way for Michiru to survive. But she's actually dead.

Is this the start of an chain reaction where every one just starts dying now?

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 6:26PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

YES!!!

Also this story lowkey makes me think that the VicePrez is as dangerous if not more dangerous than the President himself because she actually seems to like seeing the deaths, is mesmerised by Kai’s power, and probably would coerce him to keep doing it because “you have to save others like you saved me” (boosting his sense of righteousness, or just creating a fake one tbh).

P.S: I really hope their relationship is not a romantic one, that’s a tiring trope. (“Does it because is in love”) The two of them being childhood friends and each fucked up in their own way with the same twisted sense of justice is way better than “Kai has the same power than Satsuki and could be using it for the good if he wasn’t in love”. Hate this idea, ngl.

We learned with Walk to Death that this author is really sadistic, I have the feel that he is building up President/VP's confidence and cockyness just so he can destroy it completly at some point with a really heavy turn of events

I am counting on this tbh.
Also to see both of them see how wrong their so-called ideals and feel this immense guilt would be a satisfying end for their arc. Although with VP being borderline a psycho probably means the only way to stop her would be death. Prez doesn’t deserve redemption, but death? Maybe not. Going absolutely crazy and breaking down completely? Yes.

(I don’t mean it in a “this would satisfy me” way, just that it would be an interesting way to see someone who used such power for evil: ending up alone, filled with guilt, and every time his power somehow manifests itself, he gets more and more unhinged, not to the cost of others’ safety tho. Maybe mental hospital? Too cliche? Idk)

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 7:05PM

Golden Mertens
Fr7bgrpvcaamcjc%20(1)%20(1)-1%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Jul 9, 2021

I think the actions of these two will eventually lead to one of them dying so that the other finally has a reality check, If this plot gets to a point where they both walk away unharmed with nothing serious happening to them after everything they did, it's going to be insanely unsatisfying

I really hope we're not facing a case of "writers' darlings" here, lol

joined Apr 19, 2020

Tinfoil theory: president is gonna kill the vp for getting overzealous and thus "evil", or he was leading her along the entire time because he's a psycho.

He even kinda looks like walk to deaths serial killer.

To reply you must either login or sign up.