Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

(for context, that bald man is a doctor and his wife got killed and his daughter got into coma from being severely beaten by a group of house invader, that guy he tortured was one of them)

"bald man" You know, you can say Bruce Willis, i think most people know who he is.

Trappista_cheese_original%20(1)
joined Apr 10, 2020

"bald man" You know, you can say Bruce Willis, i think most people know who he is.\

This was my first time seeing him in a movie, I wasn't much of a movie guy before.

Owo
joined Jun 17, 2018

Really didn’t expect to be involved in a discussion of why killing kids is wrong…..

Wait—what? Since when?

(Um, asking for a friend.)

I think they're talking about someone's posts justifying the prez's attempts to kill.. yikes

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

I am a bit late, but I think I’m able to conclude that Komachi’s personality revolves around a single motto:

“if that’s what you want, I will help you, no matter how twisted it is. If it’s not, I will help you realize what you want.”

1/ Komachi tells Satsuki to stop telling people they are going to die because she thinks Satsuki actually does not want to do it. She says “If you don’t like it, you shouldn’t have to do it. […] Even if not doing it meant something bad happens.”

However, right after Satsuki explains that what she wants is getting out of there and not wanting to make things worse, Komachi agrees to help right away, with the reason being “If that’s what you want, I will help you.”

-> Komachi does not care about doing "the right thing" but rather "the thing Satsuki wants."

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liar_satsuki_can_see_death_ch10#3

2/ Such helping proves to be fatal when Komachi almost killed Satsuki by “helping her die.” Komachi misunderstood Satsuki when she said “help me” as she understood it as “help me die.” She later realizes the misinterpretation and says “so you weren’t committing suicide.” It’s scary how she never apologized.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liar_satsuki_can_see_death_ch44#10

The true mysteries are:
1/ Who is Komachi willing to listen to?
2/ How did she become such a person?

Sorry for rambling about Komachi when the latest chapter has someone dying. lol

last edited at Aug 13, 2022 1:26PM

joined Apr 10, 2020

Akari ---> Satsuki
(Life Partners)

Come on author, just say they're girlfriend, just say it.

last edited at Aug 13, 2022 12:01PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The chart was made by the scanlator, not the author.

Image_push%20(3)
joined Nov 2, 2019

I am a bit late, but I think I’m able to conclude that Komachi’s personality revolves around a single motto:

“if that’s what you want, I will help you, no matter how twisted it is. If it’s not, I will help you realize what you want.”

A neatly caught motto. Especially as this motto takes into account the potential death of Komachi.

The true mysteries are:
1/ Who is Komachi willing to listen to?

Probably everyone, looking at Miho's case.

2/ How did she become such a person?

And this is the mystery that intrigues most. What shaped her in such a way and allows her to continue on this path.

Och, But it is always nice to read about Komachi xD

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

A neatly caught motto. Especially as this motto takes into account the potential death of Komachi.

Shoot, have we been thinking that Komachi will potentially die.. she's twisted but at this point I really want her to live lmao she's an enigma

Image_push%20(3)
joined Nov 2, 2019

Shoot, have we been thinking that Komachi will potentially die.. she's twisted but at this point I really want her to live lmao she's an enigma

Given that Komachi is, next to Satsuki, my favourite character, I would also have preferred her to survive. BUT it is Ryouko's manga after all. Anything is possible here. That's why I love it anyway ^__^

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

God damn I hate the student council prez so much. Read this whole manga in a few days since it was so interesting but now I’m left with a cliffhanger of rage.

joined Apr 10, 2020

Come on Scanlator, just say they're girlfriend, just say it, just say it.

last edited at Aug 13, 2022 3:29PM

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I think it's fairly safe to assume Michiru was speaking with Seo on the phone after her suspension:

I'm a little divided on the phone calls only because I'm not sure what to make of Seo yet. It'd be odd of her to fake memory loss from the moment she woke up, and it's unclear why she'd continue pitting Michiru against Satsuki. There's also the time Satsuki found Michiru by the school store in ch38, where she was seemingly luring Satsuki for the student council. And they did get her to help them now under the promise of getting revenge on Satsuki. But then again, Sayoko's reaction to Michiru in ch48 makes more sense if they were hardly involved with her. I do think you're on the right track. But things are really murky right now.

Since it's relevant again, I should also generally restate that, whenever Michiru mentioned her manipulator, it was always singular gender-neutral, あの人. I defaulted to "they" just in case, which was probably the best compromise. But it could be a mix of the 2. Seo might be the "they" who told her about the salad oil and how Miho still wanted Michiru back, while Kai was the one who called her to find out about Satsuki. Stuff like this would get a lot simpler if it was an anime and we could just hear the voice.

Hey, Komachi's one of the biggest ongoing mysteries even if she's been taking a backseat lately. She does seem fixated on words being taken at face value and simply wanting to be useful no matter the context. I always thought this page in ch24 was extremely significant if you take it literally. Komachi simply trusts Satsuki because that's what Satsuki wants, and puts those feelings above herself. She's obedient to just about anybody, except in certain conflicting moments where a greater authority's involved, yet she greatly admires Satsuki's independence. Considering the rest of the manga, I'd be shocked if she doesn't come from an abusive household. But given the narration in chapter 1, Komachi is key to causing the biggest disaster. I'm still not sure how literally to take that. Whether it's fate or natural consequence, and whether everyone dies at once or it's simply a cumulative metaphor.

Though here's a bit of tangential speculation on chapter 44. It sticks out how unnaturally excited she gets at the prospect of helping Satsuki kill herself. And the way she comforts her, saying she knows how scary it is to die. Ryouko was satisfied with how her expression turned out in that scene, saying "she looks just like a monster." And to anyone who's read Ryouko's previous manga, monster is a loaded term reserved for murderers. It's just something to think about, whether Komachi's had firsthand experience with death.

Ryouko also tweeted that chapter 51 marks a stopping point in the conflict between Satsuki and the student council, so maybe things will slow down now. The last 20 chapters have been relentless and Satsuki desperately needs a chance to recover. Hopefully this means both Komachi and Akira can take a more active role again, since they're the ones she confides in most.

Come on Scanlator, just say they're girlfriend, just say it, just say it.

Believe me I wish I could. But I can at least get away with some wishful thinking over Satsuki's excitement at having a partner she can depend on coupled with her (almost) dying wish to be with Akira forever.

Speaking of which, the end of chapter 38 is now even more ominous. The first death wasn't saved for Akira's arc. My biggest fear is Satsuki being fully responsible for Akira or her dad's death. There was already a tease of that with Satsuki accidentally triggering a death for Seo. And I don't want to know what it takes for future Satsuki to consider her current self too self-centered.

One last detail about this latest chapter; Satsuki immediately recognizes what Michiru's premonitory corpse disappearing means. There's no confusion in her shock. It's likely she's seen exactly that happen before, with her mom.

Owo
joined Jun 17, 2018

God damn I hate the student council prez so much. Read this whole manga in a few days since it was so interesting but now I’m left with a cliffhanger of rage.

Literally made me want to punch them

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

She's obedient to just about anybody, except in certain conflicting moments where a greater authority's involved, yet she greatly admires Satsuki's independence.

Nice catch. I was reading the past comments and people were mentioning that Komachi might be working under the stuCo. I wonder if Komachi has a hierachy of people she listens to. It would fit in with your catch.

Though here's a bit of tangential speculation on chapter 44. It sticks out how unnaturally excited she gets at the prospect of helping Satsuki kill herself. And the way she comforts her, saying she knows how scary it is to die. Ryouko was satisfied with how her expression turned out in that scene, saying "she looks just like a monster." And to anyone who's read Ryouko's previous manga, monster is a loaded term reserved for murderers. It's just something to think about, whether Komachi's had firsthand experience with death.

Oh snap, Ryouko said “she looks just like a monster”? Now this is interesting… We can start to see some similarities between Ryouko’s previous manga’s protag and Komachi: little/strange sense of survival instincts (Komachi smiling through her being bullied by Miho), and taking others’ wishes at face value.

Ryouko also tweeted that chapter 51 marks a stopping point in the conflict between Satsuki and the student council, so maybe things will slow down now. The last 20 chapters have been relentless and Satsuki desperately needs a chance to recover.

Nice! It has been way too violent for Satsuki. I want some calming moments for her, though most likely Komachi will somehow act up again lol.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Nice! It has been way too violent for Satsuki. I want some calming moments for her, though most likely Komachi will somehow act up again lol.

I have to wonder how possible it is for her to calm down now if Michiru really has died. I'd love some more light-hearted chapters but I feel like we're in for some somber ones first.

joined Apr 10, 2020

I have to wonder how possible it is for her to calm down now if Michiru really has died. I'd love some more light-hearted chapters but I feel like we're in for some somber ones first.

Every teenager must have that one emo phase, Satsuki will have this phase soon.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I shouldn't have read all 51 chapters in one go, now I am suffering. But here are my hot takes because I can't focus on studying unless I talk about them:

(bUNCH OF SPOILERS AHEAD BUT YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THAT!!!!!)

1.I really hope Satsuki opens up with someone about her mother's death and why she refuses to just ignore her premonitions soon. She has an extremely good reason to value all life indiscriminately and save it at all costs.
As her biggest ally, Akira would probably understand, despite the disagreement they had.

Given the flashback(s)*:
She saw her mom die in front of her eyes. She lost someone important, she doesn't want anyone to go through that if she can stop it. Is her delivery terrible? Yes, homegirl is socially inept.

*https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liar_satsuki_can_see_death_ch04#18 (glimpse of her seeing a premonition or the fact itself)
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/liar_satsuki_can_see_death_ch08#6 (creepy version of what probably happened, with her mom pleading and asking her why she didn't do anything if she knew)
I am too lazy to try finding others.

2.There is something wrong with Komako. Really wrong.
I think right now there are two antagonists, in a way. Student Council duo is the obvious one, and Komako... I don't think she is Satsuki's ally at all. But also I doubt she's involved with the Prez serial killing, despite being secretary. Whatever is up with her will probably be explored after the StudCo arc is kinda solved. She's an antagonist-in-the-making, I guess.

However, I don't think what was said on Chapter 1, with future Satsuki's commentary ending with "Komachi Komako should have died", meant that Komako is somehow directly involved with all the premonitions, most likely Satsuki at some point in the future will realize that her preventing the deaths causes a chain reaction. The phrase prior to that is proof:

(...) what I did then might have broken the perfectly fitting gears of fate. That small distortional spreads little by little, until it all starts falling out of place.

Why does it only attract more death? The president himself commented that ever since she enrolled the corpses have been showing up a lot, so her not letting fate follow the "natural" course of things is exacerbating the fatalities around her.
Someone has to die. Despite her not letting them die, that undeniable truth is still there. Maybe it spreads and makes other people victims, but the initial victims that didn't pass away the first time are still somehow pushed towards this fate. Without the villain president in the picture, Komako and Sae's second "deaths" only prove that something stronger — natural order of the universe? Don't know how to call it — is screaming, saying that they have to die, and most likely what will happen will be like a dam imploding: what was keeping all of the water from falling, the moment it breaks will cause it all to leak in one go.

(worst case scenario tho)

When she says that by doing what felt right that day would cause the worst to come, it makes me think something like that awaits.
I never read the other work by this author, but by what you guys are saying, page 3 of the first chapter can be a glimpse at the future.

Whatever supernatural force is "controlling" this, it wants people to die in this school (student body and staff alike). Be them good or evil. Satsuki going against it is tempering with something... (Even stopping the murder attempts is tempering with things beyond her power. "Fate" said that these people would die by the hands of serial killer Prez, the moment the dude decided to kill, it was determined they would die. Him seeing the future or not only adds for an interesting opposing force to Satsuki's forensics, but if he were just a regular murderer... Deaths were still "meant to be".)

I don't know how the possible death on ch. 51 will change this. Maybe that's why the next chapters are said to be a bit calmer. As if this threat was tamed a bit the moment one of the deaths could not be stopped.
(I still hope the girl survives tho. And gets therapy.)

3.Kai is the prefect antithesis for Satsuki's code because he doesn't use his power to prevent stuff, he turned to killing and uses it in his favor to propagate his f—d up morals, and probably started seeing the deaths as inevitable, not worth feeling pity for whoever died, be them good or bad. Probably seeing death as inevitable led him to the twisted perception that death with a justification is OK. Something like "if everyone dies some day, getting rid of evil people is actually good, because it's not like they never would, and with this any harm they cause can be stopped".

When he comments on Sensei's death and him not preventing it despite the victim being a good person just makes it clear that he's turned cynical about death.

Perfect villain, still want him to get beat up or flat-out exposed. He's a serial killer, for god's sake.
I don't think he will get exposed since he covered it up at middle school, so I will settle for him getting his ass whooped.

last edited at Aug 16, 2022 5:53PM

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

However, I don't think what was said on Chapter 1, with future Satsuki's commentary ending with "Komachi Komako should have died", meant that Komako is somehow directly involved with all the premonitions, most likely Satsuki at some point in the future will realize that her preventing the deaths causes a chain reaction. The phrase prior to that is proof:

(...) what I did then might have broken the perfectly fitting gears of fate. That small distortional spreads little by little, until it all starts falling out of place.

Why does it only attract more death? The president himself commented that ever since she enrolled the corpses have been showing up a lot, so her not letting fate follow the "natural" course of things is exacerbating the fatalities around her.

I agree about the chain reaction, considering Prez’s comment.

However, I also think that the statement “Komachi Komako should have died” has either little, or everything to do with the effects of the chain reaction.

Let’s assume that there is a chain reaction at school and its principles are as follow:

1/ The more deaths Satsuki prevents, the worse deaths will await.
2/ It does not matter who Satsuki save, the chain reaction starts, then goes on.

Assuming the above 2 principles, if Satsuki wishes that she could prevent such chain reaction, she would wish that she has never saved anyone at school in the first place. Because saving someone, anyone at all, would start the chain reaction.

However, we know 1 fact: Komachi is not the first person Satuski saved. Her nickname “liar satsuki” comes from the fact that she has already told several others that they would die, but they ended up not dying (because she saved them). Her nickname comes from the fact that she already saved other people at school before Komachi.

If she wishes for there to never be such chain reaction, she would instead state “I should have never saved anyone in the first place.” But Satsuki explicitly states “Komachi Komako should have died” instead.

Thus, there are 3 scenarios:
1/ The chain reaction is not started just by saving anyone, but started by saving Komachi. —> I think this is plausible, even though it sounds ridiculous. The biggest proof is Satsuki stating thinking back on it, what I did then might have broken one of the perfectly fitting gears of fate. This statement can be translated as: “Saving Komachi might have caused the gears to go wrong.”

2/ There is a chain reaction, and saving Komachi can be part of it, but the fact that Komachi is alive is what is problematic. The statement “Komachi Komako should have died” refers to something gone wrong, something even worse than the chain reaction. Maybe Komachi will do something terrible in the future? Or she’s already doing something terrible without us knowing? —-> I also think this is likely. The events surrounding Satsuki might push Komachi closer and closer to revealing her insanity. A scenario where mass murder can happen: Komachi going around and killing people because someone of authority ordered her. It can be simple as that.

3/ There is no chain reaction. Prez’s comment might actually can be interpreted in another way: “Satsuki’s appearance at school itself is causing deaths.” —-> I think this is unlikely, considering the context of the convo between vice prez and prez.

last edited at Aug 17, 2022 4:12PM

FreyjaWolfieN65
Yuu%20koito%203
joined Feb 8, 2022

huhh?? did she actually die??? omg wtf, i thought no one was gonna die or they were all gonna die at once wuuut OoO

Golden Mertens
Fr7bgrpvcaamcjc%20(1)%20(1)-1%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Jul 9, 2021

Guys, unrelated question but, Is Satsuki's eye color red or orange?

I just saw the new chapter and am just going to say this I want those 2 fucking monsters dead, I'm taking a break from reading this thing until that happens.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

So this will be the take? all of this bc of "we live in a society"? Fcking come on, the average teenager can easily be classified as a damn sociopath but those 2 were fk'd up from the beginning

Also, poor Satsuki, she will blame herself for this... Akira where you are!??

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 1:32AM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So Michiru really died? I wish the author would have at least dedicated a few pages more to that.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 1:50AM

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Aaaaaaaaaaaa fuck she actually died ;__;
Worst fucking part about it is that it's fucking lightning, which is to say it's sheer bad luck that killed her
Death is not enough for the fucking prez and his lackey
Aaaaaa it's not your fault Satsuki, you couldn't prevent it either way, don't blame yourself

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Aww, Michinaga truly died. I liked her character. She held too many clues, and was too able to be rehabilitated, for her not to be removed from the equation in some way. The scenes leading up to her death felt like a walk to an execution, and there's already Seo's survived-but-damaged plot so two was unlikely. The student council went as far as killing one of their own, and even worse they were around her as she was affected by bad influences, so Michinaga damns their whole good guy argument.

Vice pres seems to have mentally broken in elementary school... Pres is cynical and has a savior complex, but VP seems to enjoy suffering and is worshipful of the guy. At least we have an idea what their bond is now.

I'm curious how Satsuki will change in the wake of being unable to stop a murderer. Everything is happening while Satsuki has no backup and no emotional support. Eventually Akira is going to have a tragedy arc and won't be much help. I'm now guessing Akira won't die, but her dad could see her mom's location by Akira's GPS so her mom is likely going to be murdered.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 3:02AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.