Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Takasaki Reika
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Man ya’ll sure are good at turning fun gay comics into a total drag

me when I turn my brain off so I can enjoy content without problems (I'm dead)

joined Jan 14, 2020

We're still traumatized by Nettaigyo.

eh really ? i loved everything in this series tbh, it was pure bliss for me

It actually used "Isn't the moon beautiful?"!!! Among other subtext.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It actually used "Isn't the moon beautiful?"!!! Among other subtext.

Um, I know it's in obliqueness and ambiguity-loving Japan and all, so the demarcations between "text" and "subtext" aren't always as clear as they might be in other cultures, but:

Is that even subtext?

My%20project%20(4)
joined Jan 15, 2020

SHE KNOWSSSS!!! ABORT MISSION! SHIT IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN!!!!!

joined Jan 3, 2020

I would be willing to accept a straight-but-friends ending, but them dating would be 100x better.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

if she did come to the conclusion that Koga is listening to "Onii-san's" playlist because he sent it to her as well, I'm surprised she didn't come up with the more plausible one, which is that "Onii-san" and Koga are siblings. Hopefully this means she actually figured it out once and for all.

Nope, she connected the dots and now knows that Oni-san and Koga are the same person

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

It's actually kind of nice to see that we're not going to get the runaround of typical drama, the likes of which would assume that "Onii-san" and Koga were related. Good on her for making the direct connection that they're the same person instead.

Sayaka
joined Jan 27, 2020

So glad I came upon this series. It has such a unique visual style, concise but effective storytelling, and actually well-written, interesting characters--a real breath of fresh air!

It's surprising but welcome to see not only the big reveal happen already with this chapter, but also how it's dealt with in a serious manner and not flippantly or "just for laughs"--there's actual emotional weight behind the realization. IMO the series, its characters, and their relationships as they have been portrayed up to this point deserve such treatment.

The manga just keeps surprising me and I can only imagine it's going to get better. Can't wait to see how it continues to develop!

Screenshot%202022-08-23%20152346
joined Nov 3, 2018

No way... Is she finally realizing.

THAT THE GUY SHE WAS INTERESTED IN WASN'T A GUY AT AT ALL!

I'll leave now.

joined Mar 20, 2012

No way... Is she finally realizing.

THAT THE GUY SHE WAS INTERESTED IN WASN'T A GUY AT AT ALL!

I'll leave now.

You genius, I laughed so hard I scared my dog.

joined Feb 1, 2021

I liked almost all of it a lot, but as an earlier commenter said, the massive subtext almost overwhelmed the literal text, as if it took more effort to make it not yuri than it would have been to just follow the logic of the story and characters.

I was having a hard time pinning down my Nettaiygo thoughts and I think this comes pretty close to them. Like, it spent 8-10 chapters in the middle and end desperately trying to keep the 50-ton yuri boulder from rolling down the hill. The art was very good though, and the emphasis on loneliness was unique and memorable.

The Dynasty comment thread, though, did have some similarities to this one, in that it left no can of worms unopened. :P

joined Jan 14, 2015

I'm the sickos guy outside the window being so down for more "but if I felt all these things for a girl what does that mean??" for the next 5-10 chapters

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I'm the sickos guy outside the window being so down for more "but if I felt all these things for a girl what does that mean??" for the next 5-10 chapters

aren't we all???

joined Aug 22, 2022

Alright, let’s break this down for people arguing about honesty and consent and such.

Is she making a good decision in not revealing her identity? No. She knows that, we know it if we’re intellectually honest with ourselves.

If you’re a teenager who doesn’t reveal who you are to anyone at school and just found out you’re queer you’re gonna have difficulty knowing what to do. None of that is conducive to good decision making. If you have a crush and the only way to keep knowing for sure they feel the same is to keep up a façade… pretty common story. Way too common.

How easy is it for a loner to come out in an extremely heteronormative society, especially with all the above? Not very.

Mitsuki is in the wrong. This isn’t up for question. She feels guilty because she knows she is. However, she hasn’t committed a crime. They text and talk sometimes. That’s not assault or anything to do with lines of consent. It’s just a big mistake.

I’m old.
I’ve felt the feels both these girls are dealing with, and I’ve made mistakes. This is a matter that requires a conversation and apology. It’s not a crime.

It’s a work of fiction, and conflict that arises from misunderstanding and a tangled web woven is pretty common.
We know it ends happily.

And to the person who assumed the author is straight and fetishises lesbians? Where did that come from?! Why invent a problem to lash out? Only answer that to yourself.

joined Aug 22, 2022

What if yadda yadda yadda

These are not applicable in this situation. The similarities are superficial.

Mitsuki is a cis woman. It’s part of the ding dang title!!! She’s pretty butch, but she’s a woman. No reason to go further into that, because it’s moot.

Sexual orientation IS an issue, because they’re humans.
Saying someone is “attracted to [a certain] gender expression” implies that sexual orientation doesn’t relate to gender, but appearance.
Many people are attracted to people regardless of gender. This is not something to be assumed. We all know how to spell “assume”.

As a homosexual trans woman, I’m offended that you’ve acted like sexual orientation is irrelevant to discussion of romantic attraction in addition to bringing in trans issues when they have no place in the discussion. I have a gender and an orientation. I’m a woman who is attracted to women. These things matter.

Overall, this seems to have been an attempt to be über-progressive and looped back to regressive.
You seem intelligent and well-meaning, @Pyrrho
I’m confident you can get a handle on all this.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 10:15PM

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Same, still not just one of the best yuri manga I've ever read, but one of my absolute favorites regardless of genre.

I liked almost all of it a lot, but as an earlier commenter said, the massive subtext almost overwhelmed the literal text, as if it took more effort to make it not yuri than it would have been to just follow the logic of the story and characters.

Still an excellent read, though, with well-developed and appealing characters. And a prime example of creators meaning a variety of things when they say they don’t think of their story as being yuri.

The scars of Not a Lizard are deep indeed.

joined Dec 14, 2019

after months of build up,, finallyy

joined Dec 14, 2019

Alright, let’s break this down for people arguing about honesty and consent and such.

Is she making a good decision in not revealing her identity? No. She knows that, we know it if we’re intellectually honest with ourselves.

If you’re a teenager who doesn’t reveal who you are to anyone at school and just found out you’re queer you’re gonna have difficulty knowing what to do. None of that is conducive to good decision making. If you have a crush and the only way to keep knowing for sure they feel the same is to keep up a façade… pretty common story. Way too common.

How easy is it for a loner to come out in an extremely heteronormative society, especially with all the above? Not very.

Mitsuki is in the wrong. This isn’t up for question. She feels guilty because she knows she is. However, she hasn’t committed a crime. They text and talk sometimes. That’s not assault or anything to do with lines of consent. It’s just a big mistake.

I’m old.
I’ve felt the feels both these girls are dealing with, and I’ve made mistakes. This is a matter that requires a conversation and apology. It’s not a crime.

It’s a work of fiction, and conflict that arises from misunderstanding and a tangled web woven is pretty common.
We know it ends happily.

And to the person who assumed the author is straight and fetishises lesbians? Where did that come from?! Why invent a problem to lash out? Only answer that to yourself.

super sorry in advance but i really don't want to comb through this discussion to see what people are referring to by consent so can someone please summarize why people are criticizing this manga?

joined Apr 16, 2022

super sorry in advance but i really don't want to comb through this discussion to see what people are referring to by consent so can someone please summarize why people are criticizing this manga?

People are arguing about the extent to which Mitsuki had an obligation to tell Aya the truth about "onii-san." They're not really criticizing the manga, though perhaps some will in the future depending on how the current arc ends. "Consent" I think came up because the situation got compared to the question of whether a trans person has an obligation to tell the person they're dating that they're trans; I personally do not think it's a very helpful concept in this discussion.

joined Jan 14, 2020

They're saying music-girl has been improperly leading on gyaru-girl by not telling her that she is "onii-chan".

816lwpeqwgl._ac_uf894,1000_ql80_
joined Sep 22, 2021

She finally realized… SHE FINALLY REALIZED

Noodvatar100
joined Apr 13, 2021

I swear to god I'm gonna take away some user's privileges of using words like manipulation, consent, and toxicity until they learn what they actually mean. This is why I usually stay away from the comment's section.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

LETSGOOOOOOOOOOOO

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Can't we appreciate just how fucking long it took for her to realize that was the same person?
Like, they have the same height, build, mole and presumably the exact same voice(Unless she was talkin' in some kind of weird Bane voice while wearing that mask)

To reply you must either login or sign up.