Forum › Be Careful, Onee-san (Serialization) discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm not sure if my heart can take a third volume ... And yes, asspull is another nickname for Mr Miracle! xD

Onee sama... I like that ngl

Thank you for working on this full volume!! I love it

Dynasty9
joined Aug 21, 2016

uh oh... hang in there onee-san!

joined May 24, 2014

A bizarre love triangle begins.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

this is genuinely scary

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

With a love triangle like this she's definitely going to jail soon lmao

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

And now all Houjou-haters here will see the truth! ;)

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Definitely did not enjoy the second half of this volume. We've never even seen Houjou be friends with Mai-chan and Hitomi-chan, but "these two are all she's got". What about the two girls she was with a few chapters ago? I feel like it proves this character wasn't planned at all (and maybe an editor just told the author to up the drama in the 2nd volume), because if she were, she'd have been introduced way earlier as to actually build up a believable friendship with Mai-chan.
At least Hitomi-chan is great in every panel she's in.

last edited at Aug 18, 2022 3:43PM

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

At this point Mai definitely knows what she's doing.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Hmm?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

A serialized manga proves popular enough to continue and introduces a previously unseen character.

Whatever will they think of next?

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

this manga just keeps on providing twists and turns

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

A serialized manga proves popular enough to continue and introduces a previously unseen character.

Maybe they'll think of an unseen character whose "sympathy factor" won't rely on a backstory that doesn't really work (for me) if it was never mentioned. She could have had other reasons for being antagonistic towards Onee-san that didn't revolve around her supposedly being with friends with Mai-chan.

Or maybe they'll think of a new character who doesn't follow the predictable path of:
1. Being a brat.
2. Reveal the reason for being a brat.
3. Get along with everyone by the end.
And maybe even double-down on it and have her be a part of a love triangle between Mai-chan and Onee-san (although I didn't interpret it this way, but let's see where volume 3 takes us).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Maybe they'll think of an unseen character whose "sympathy factor" won't rely on a backstory that doesn't really work (for me) if it was never mentioned. She could have had other reasons for being antagonistic towards Onee-san that didn't revolve around her supposedly being with friends with Mai-chan.

Supplying in advance the backstory to a character we've never seen certainly would be a narrative innovation.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Supplying in advance the backstory to a character we've never seen certainly would be a narrative innovation.

I feel like the discussion would be more interesting if you'd actually engage in discussing the content of the story and characters instead of giving snarky replies, but at any rate, I don't think the combination of her being friends with Mai-chan and their friendship never being mentioned adds anything. She already has her "hating adults" thing, that could've been enough of a valid reason for her to cause conflict in the story. It would have been even more interesting if it didn't get solved within the same chapter it's explained. Maybe she could have been a sort of voice of reason to their relationship, and slowly warm up to them.

Tumblr_6092d594b3a92296a4d35bac1b1a474c_c2d1131f_400
joined Apr 4, 2022

that pool is becoming a fishing spot

joined May 29, 2021

So did Hitomi just want Azuma out of the way because she could intuit that Tae wanted have her hear to heart with Houjou or was she jealous Azuma was fawning over Houjou?

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

So did Hitomi just want Azuma out of the way because she could intuit that Tae wanted have her hear to heart with Houjou or was she jealous Azuma was fawning over Houjou?

I'm going with jealous.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

It’s also possible that she was protecting Houjou from Azuma given that Azuma was being a little much in the moment

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

No fucking way. she’s actually starting a harem of elementary school girls

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I feel like the discussion would be more interesting if you'd actually engage in discussing the content of the story and characters instead of giving snarky replies, but at any rate, I don't think the combination of her being friends with Mai-chan and their friendship never being mentioned adds anything. She already has her "hating adults" thing, that could've been enough of a valid reason for her to cause conflict in the story. It would have been even more interesting if it didn't get solved within the same chapter it's explained. Maybe she could have been a sort of voice of reason to their relationship, and slowly warm up to them.

You’re welcome to rewrite the story in your head any way you wish, but the objection that there’s a new character pretends like it isn’t bog-standard manga plotting to introduce new characters whenever the author feels it’s necessary. The fact that she’s friends with Mai but we’ve never heard of her before seems basically irrelevant—the story has never pretended to give us an exhaustive accounting of Mai’s school and home life.

The story has used very familiar tropes and at least mildly messed with them—Tae didn’t believe her “Mai hates you” lie for a moment, turned the “caught at school” issue around completely, and has not strung out the “brat tries to separate the MCs” thread. If that doesn’t meet your approval, that’s fine, but it’s hardly some unprecedented authorial breakdown or something that’s out of step with the entire series so far.

joined Apr 16, 2022

While this development was pretty quick, I think it was decently foreshadowed. I don't have a problem with Yuki's backstory, it was already established she's lonely and "Those two are all I have" can easily be taken as emotional exaggeration from a kid who doesn't seem to have any close friends (she mostly seems to hang around her two lackeys by default); I'm personally going to go with my headcanon that she was so attached to Mai precisely because Mai looks like an adult but is really a kid. And when all the adults she's ever known are pretentious pricks who can't be bothered to lower themselves to talking with a child, I can understand becoming quickly attached to the first adult who actually treats her as an equal. I do think this chapter could've used some tighter writing, maybe replaced some of the exposition with a few more pages showing Yuki's thought process, and it's certainly weaker than the last chapter of volume 1, but it's decent and I liked the Yuki arc overall because it demonstrated how much trust and mutual affection Tae and Mai have built for each other.

Anyway, now that the volume is over and we won't get new chapters for a while, I might as well say it: I'm one of the ones hoping for Mai and Tae to enter a genuine romantic relationship. I actually think this manga is in kind of a unique position to genuinely explore the consequences and implications of an adult dating a grade schooler. Unlike Kyoumi ga Arimasu, it's just grounded enough in reality for the characters to be taken seriously, while -- unlike Yuzumori-san -- it's still weird and absurd enough that I can suspend my disbelief and treat it as a fantasy world disconnected from real life. Plus, so far this hasn't been a "status quo" manga; Mai and Tae are gradually becoming closer in each chapter and if the manga doesn't get axed there's not much further for them to go while remaining friends.

joined May 1, 2015

Giga chad Tae chan.
Like. Who knew?

Brook
joined Jun 7, 2016

This is not at all what I suspected to happen with Yuki's character. But I love it.

joined May 29, 2022

I love it ;+;

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

...explore the consequences and implications of an adult dating a grade schooler...

That is one hell of a sentence, lawd almighty. This isn't me taking a dig at you, I'm simply amused. Seriously though, I get what you mean, and I'm not necessarily completely against the idea, but that's a very tall ask. There are a few very icky issues that simply cannot be properly tackled considering the established age gap, the topmost of them would probably be libido. I mean, you could go for a Lolitaesque story, but that's simply not the flavor here.

Which is also another thing, this simply isn't the manga's flavor. It's a lot more of a gag/comedy story using the juxtaposition between the two's status and ages as its engine than it is a serious (or even not really serious) romance story. Mai is anything but a normal grade-schooler, which is the crux of the humor in the series, and kinda fucks with your idea completely from the beginning.

Still, I generally agree that I'd like the two to end up together, and I agree about the "status quo" thing, since it does seem to be happening organically, it'd be much less of an issue if, for instance, the story followed them throughout the years or something like that.

As an aside and about the happenings of this chapter, I'm blanking out on the name right now, but there's another story which is somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine in which an older women unintentionally seduces three highschoolers thanks to her motherly nature (them girls got mommied is what I'm saying) that this chapter really reminded me of, and I would not necessarily be opposed to similar developments here. Seeing Mai pretty much asserting her dominance was very amusing.

Also as an aside, it's kinda late here and my vision isn't the sharpest as is, so I read "Onee-sama doesn't belong to you" as "Osama doesn't belong to you" and was very confused for a few seconds.

last edited at Aug 18, 2022 6:51PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.