Forum › I Won 300 Million Yen in a Lottery so I Started Raising a Freeloader Pretty Girl discussion

joined May 1, 2015

So the bum actually has money?
Not enough details to know for sure.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I’m guessing she ran away from home to avoid some strict expectations her rich dad expects from her. Children of rich families often face financial abuse if they go against their parents plans for their future.

Img_1857
joined Apr 4, 2021

If anything, isnt this type of discussion a good thing? Like, isnt it a sign that ppl are interested in the logic of the story, or how things will end up?

Dang Donkey Kong out here spitting facts

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Oh so she's a rich girl

Guess money won't be an issue once the hijinks is done

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

We were all expecting this development, of course, but... so soon???

Feels like the story's moving a bit too fast. I wonder if it's about to end or something.

2232-2
joined Nov 13, 2017

Very pleased that the artist did not stoop to giving her stockings with the maid outfit. :)

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I wonder if it's about to end or something.

I sure hope not.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

I'm not sure about the mood in this series. The wish-fulfillment stuff is sadly relatable, but it made me uncomfortable because we didn't know enough about Tenma to see things from her perspective yet. She's just suddenly there like a mascot or purchase. Having no home sucks and can be very dangerous, so it makes sense how Tenma is very desperate and thankful. It's easy to see Tenma as suspicious though, especially only reading a chapter once in a while and forgetting the bit of empathy I had for Tenma in the previous chapter. Mariya is a total saint, and sadly an aimless blank self-insert protagonist, so it would be easy for a cute girl to play her. I can't tell if the manga is setting up smart stuff or has good ideas it won't fully execute.

If this was originally a monthly release I would feel like the manga is wildly fighting for its life, like trying to grab attention with a gimmick each chapter, hoping to buy time for its main plot to get momentum. But because it's 1 volume of 12 chapters I guess it's just odd pacing.

last edited at Aug 11, 2022 9:36PM

joined Aug 11, 2022

Hello random people XD

Well our Freeloader seem to be a rich girl that has ran away due to family issues???...Also people seem to be really worried about the MC losing all her money lol. I am pretty sure MC does not have to worry too much unless she starts to buy bunch of cars, gambling and etc. or due to the author going silly slapstick comedy humor path XD

My theory about Tenma is that she is obviously a rich girl whom mother probably died young which might be a reason for her loneliness (Evidence in not knowing how to do housework and the spies looking for her.) Her father is probably very controlling, focus mostly on his work and likely put her in a arranged marriage thinking it is the best option for her but she obviously had enough of and ran away??? Anyways it seems the father(?) is going to be the conflict and MC is going to have to deal with him...

I am also a bit bored so I decide to try to calculate MC costs.

She has 300 million yen (Basically 3 million dollars + whatever else money she has saved up...probably something normal like maybe $15,000-20,000 at most which we don't care about).
3 Million dollars is like 60 years income of an average person salary.
Tracking her spending so far/Estimated costs:
Clothing cost of potentially buying like maybe 100+ different outfits for her new potential waifu:
100 different outfits X($50-100)=$5000-10,000 at worst case scenario.

An average price for rented apartment in japan can range from 50,000 to 100,000 yen (500-1000 dollars)...I know average price of rent in America is like maybe $800-1500 per month but that is not important. She move out her old small apartment for a nicer one.
New bigger luxury apartment: Let say the estimated price might be around [$2000-3500 per month/ $24,000 to 42,000 per year].
I am going to assume she rent a luxury apartment room and not the whole damn apartment...I mean technically not a horrible thing since you can still sell it if she actually somehow brought the whole apartment but I think that is too pricey and wasn't the case...

A plane trip vacation cost:
A planet ticket can cost from $350-600 and 1st class seats cost more.
-Let's assume we got two first class plane ticket so about maybe $(1000-2500) X 2= $2000-5000
They probably stay at a 5 star hotel for 2-3 days so can range from $800 to 1200 per night stay.
another $2000-5000 cost for 1st class plane seat trip back home.

Now to calculate and add up all the cost our MC spend so far. [Assuming about only a 1-1.5 month have passed]
300 million yen (3 Million dollars) - 2,710,000 million yen ($27,100 minus dollar this month) gives us 297,290,000 yen or 2.9729 million dollars left.
if we consider the food cost and new luxury apartment cost then:
Let's say a average food cost of 1000 to 1500 dollars per month for 2 people (16-32 dollars per day food price/12,000-18,000 dollars per year.)
and then minus $24,000 to 42,000 per year for apartment rent cost. We get a upkeep/minus 36,000-60,000 dollars spend per year meaning even after 10 years then MC money would only decrease by $360,000 in the best case and $600,000 in the worse case.

Basically MC can live carefree in the luxury apartment with her freeloader for about a maximum 50 years in the worst case. Put some money in savings or stocks like other comment said to earn some stable money back too.

But we have to consider other costs like Taxes, relatives or charity asking for money, medical costs for dental, costs for transportation/gasoline or insurance, phone bills, video game cost and etc. (and other stuff that gives people headaches...)

Basically really the MC does not have to worry too much for at least 15-20 years unless she starts buying expensive things or get scammed out of some of her money. Apologizes for the weird out of nowhere calculations people XD

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

This manga has just made me even more firm in my stance of "if I win a million dollars, I'll give it away." Ignoring my ideological principals, having someone entirely in your care is a scary thought, because they might end up feeling trapped by their financial dependence upon you. I'd buy a house though, won't be able to do that otherwise...

last edited at Aug 12, 2022 1:20AM

joined Feb 10, 2022

Knew that girl was sus and so she is the daughter of the owner/ceo/president of a huge company it seems

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

gasp a smooch'n'dash

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

That kiss wasn't romantic at all, just nervous. It got me a lot more curious! Mariya's feelings, when surprised, weren't all that deep - but Tenma seems to care for her.

Tenma has a fancy name but doesn't seem too attached to fancy lifestyles. Well if paying back Mariya is sharing your inheritance with her then I guess it's fair, though that probably-immanent plot is a bit too idyllic. Bring on the twists and turns.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

gasp a smooch'n'dash

clutches pearls

joined Mar 8, 2016

TL corrections:

p.55 - "Do we have anything to eat here right now?"

"Did" is the wrong tense and "again" is just not right here. I'm just guessing that the original means to convey something more like "right now."

p.59 - "Because I ran away...?" "Why did you run away?"

Verb tenses incorrect.

last edited at Aug 29, 2022 11:52PM

joined Apr 14, 2022

TL corrections:

"Did" is the wrong tense and "again" is just not right here. I'm just guessing that the original means to convey something more like "right now."

Is English perhaps not your native language? "Did we have anything to eat, again?" is a perfectly normal sentence, and your 'correction' changes the intended nuance. I'm not sure I can explain it very well, though. The original sentence is much more natural-sounding than what you proposed.

I guess if I were to try to explain... the "again" signifies that the speaker is trying to recall something they should already know. As in, "you already told me, but can you tell me again?". And "did we" is past tense because your question is technically about that past information, not about the current state of affairs, even though the former is also the latter. I'm not sure this explanation makes sense, but anyways, it's a common conversational phrase and the nuance is completely different because it puts emphasis on trying to remember something rather than simply asking outright.

Looking at the original manga, this translation is certainly correct. The Japanese text is also past-tense and uses 「っけ」, indicating that she's trying to remember.

p.59 - "Because I ran away...?" "Why did you run away?"

Verb tenses incorrect.

I looked at this page while I was at it, and while the translation is grammatically incorrect, I see how the mistake happened.

Both sentences are in present-tense. Accordingly, a correction more accurate to the original meaning would be:
"Because I'm running away...?"
"Why are you running away?"

last edited at Aug 30, 2022 7:24AM

joined Mar 8, 2016

Is English perhaps not your native language? "Did we have anything to eat, again?" is a perfectly normal sentence, and your 'correction' changes the intended nuance. I'm not sure I can explain it very well, though. The original sentence is much more natural-sounding than what you proposed.

I guess if I were to try to explain... the "again" signifies that the speaker is trying to recall something they should already know. As in, "you already told me, but can you tell me again?". And "did we" is past tense because your question is technically about that past information, not about the current state of affairs, even though the former is also the latter. I'm not sure this explanation makes sense, but anyways, it's a common conversational phrase and the nuance is completely different because it puts emphasis on trying to remember something rather than simply asking outright.

Nope, it's very very much my native language. Is English perhaps not YOUR native language?

They're coming home and she's trying to remember if they have anything to eat in the house, because as you see from the rest of the scene they haven't been going shopping or stocking up on anything lately. The sentence as written implies that she can't remember whether or not they ate food already, which would make no sense. And "again" either implies it's happened before (which would add to the strangeness) or it's a word meaning something like "tell me again whether X is true," X being the preceding phrase, but this would be very conversationally stilted in this context. You would use it more in a context like, "What's that guy's name, again?"

I can't imagine any native speaker ever using this sentence in this context, and the fact that you think it's common makes even less sense to me. I have never, ever heard anyone say "Did we have anything to eat?" meaning "Is there any food in the house?" "Do" is the only appropriate conjugation here because you are talking about the present state of the pantry/refrigerator. Otherwise "did" needs another verb to make it work. You could say "Did we buy anything to eat this week?" or "Did we keep those leftovers" or "Did we remember to stock up on produce?" but you can't say "Did we have anything to eat?" That sentence can ONLY be about having already physically consumed food.

Looking at the original manga, this translation is certainly correct. The Japanese text is also past-tense and uses 「っけ」, indicating that she's trying to remember.

Different languages can express different ideas in different ways, and utilize different conjugations sometimes to make the point. Part of translation and localization is not just literally transcribing the phrase but knowing enough about both languages and cultures to make the proper adjustments.

last edited at Aug 30, 2022 8:59AM

joined Apr 14, 2022

I can't imagine any native speaker ever using this sentence in this context, and the fact that you think it's common makes even less sense to me.

Well, I've heard it plenty. We have apparently had different experiences, as humans are wont to do. Arguing is not going to get us anywhere, since I don't know and don't care whether it's grammatically correct; my point was merely that it's normal in my experience, but it's not like I can show you my memories.

last edited at Aug 30, 2022 9:08AM

joined Apr 16, 2022

FWIW, I don't think the sentence is grammatically incorrect but it does sound a little awkward to my ears. I would probably have translated it to something like "I forget, do we have anything to eat?" I also think Tamahime is being a little overly aggressive.

joined Nov 22, 2019

I think "did we have anything" works if you think about it like Mariya asking if they had any food before they left, since, even though time has past since they left, they didn't go to the store, so the state of their food would be the same as when they left.

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

kisses each other
like in the gay way?

Img_1857
joined Apr 4, 2021

kisses each other
like in the gay way?

No, in a perfectly 100% platonic gal pal besties forever way of course!

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Mariya looks a lot like Katarina from Hamefura?

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

kisses each other
like in the gay way?

No, in a perfectly 100% platonic gal pal besties forever way of course!

I hate how people have to read that in to everything. She just has normal feelings!

Crying%20trash
joined Feb 8, 2018

Wtf just happened lmao

To reply you must either login or sign up.