Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

gosh this manga is actually just so full of wisdom. Like, yeah, the key to having a balanced attitude it not to have different parts of yourself suppressed but to bring them out in appropriate measure to the situation and have them inform each other.

I also love how this fits with the framing of her unfortunate transformation as a domme losing control, and needing to so some soul-searching so that she can reach the far shores of kink while also keeping things safe and on-track. Very cool.

I wonder who the “she” the two parts of Utena refer to is, though…

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Welp... that went Freudian really fast.

Rsz_1screenshot_2021-08-18_at_11-24-04_the_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_fr%c3%a9d%c3%a9rica_miyamoto_shiki_ichinose_%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc_-_pixiv
joined Apr 25, 2018

Yeah. I wonder who is she? I suspect it might be part of her power..? Hm...

Maybe it's Enormeeta...

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

gosh this manga is actually just so full of wisdom. Like, yeah, the key to having a balanced attitude it not to have different parts of yourself suppressed but to bring them out in appropriate measure to the situation and have them inform each other.

I also love how this fits with the framing of her unfortunate transformation as a domme losing control, and needing to so some soul-searching so that she can reach the far shores of kink while also keeping things safe and on-track. Very cool.

I think it's Vena, if you look at the long dark panel, his face appears.
So either the 'her' is a mistranslation, or Vena has been misgendered since the beginning.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Was hoping for more Utena/Sayo bonding time but watching Utena have a sex fight with herself was entertaining. Hopefully they’ll talk more next chapter, if the blush on Sayo’s face after seeing Utena standing there is any hope.

This series is doing a much better job of tackling puberty and coming to terms with your sexuality and desires than I ever thought it would.

last edited at Jun 20, 2022 11:54PM

yuriconnoisseur
joined Apr 26, 2022

Wait is she blushing cause she found out who she really is?

last edited at Jun 21, 2022 12:24AM

joined May 3, 2014

Was hoping for more Utena/Sayo bonding time but watching Utena have a sex fight with herself was entertaining. Hopefully they’ll talk more next chapter, if the blush on Sayo’s face after seeing Utena standing there is any hope.

This series is doing a much better job of tackling puberty and coming to terms with your sexuality and desires than I ever thought it would.

ain’t this more about BDSM/kink and Sexuality that “tackling puberty” cuz this way of “tackling puberty” is way to dramatic and it makes no sense.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

ain’t this more about BDSM/kink and Sexuality that “tackling puberty” cuz this way of “tackling puberty” is way to dramatic and it makes no sense.

I mean kinks are also part of puberty :v

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

I said puberty AND sexuality. They’re right around the age where they would be going through puberty. Their bodies are going through changes (La Veritas) and part of them gaining that “power-up” is accepting the changes and their sexuality and kinks. It’s all done with a BDSM theme though. It’s overly dramatic because it’s a manga about magical girls.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I mean kinks are also part of puberty :v

Yeah figuring out your kinks is part of puberty.

Plus so what if it's dramatic? That's fine. Art can be used to explore themes in a dramatic way. I also think it makes perfect sense, having an inner struggle between your reason and your lust, balancing it out. It's presented in a fairly straightforward way in my opinion.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The whole point of systems like a human mind is that the whole is more capable than all of its parts individually. If Utena does indeed learn to moderate her lust with reason without suppressing either, she will reach whole new heights of power and debauchery very, very soon. I am looking forward to that.

Also, has anyone else noticed that this is the first time ever that Utena has consciously accepted her identity as an "evil" leader?

That just proves that our trust in the author's writing skills has been well-placed. :-)

I think it's Vena, if you look at the long dark panel, his face appears.
So either the 'her' is a mistranslation, or Vena has been misgendered since the beginning.

It has to be Vena, since they conflict between them has been set up for a very long time. As for he/she, I am not even sure they have a gender in the human sense, so I cannot blame the translators for any gender confusion.

Welp... that went Freudian really fast.

You mean chapter 1? :P

I agree, more Utena x Sayo would have been appreciated, especially after the cover teased them growing closer. I am not sure what to make of Azul/Sayo's blush on the last page, but I am afraid that the shrine sequence is now completed, so we will have to wait for another opportunity for them to bond. :-(

I wonder how people would react if this ever got an anime adaptation.

That would be all sorts of banana pancakes awesome, but I doubt anything this risque would ever air on Japanese TV, so we'd have an OVA, at most, and even that will probably get axed before we ever got the full story. :-(

last edited at Jun 21, 2022 2:39AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The translators are just betting on the fact there's been zero males shown and Vena inevitably being turned into a human(oid) girl to be punished by Utena.

joined Sep 27, 2017

The translators are just betting on the fact there's been zero males shown and Vena inevitably being turned into a human(oid) girl to be punished by Utena.

You just put this image of a very feminine and voluptuous Kyubey being whipped into my brain lmao

__fujiwara_no_mokou_and_houraisan_kaguya_touhou_drawn_by_ootsuki_wataru__abfa356e1066a80ad94144d78ad40e5f%20-%20copia
joined Sep 22, 2019

I apreciate how Utena immediately starts treating Vena like an enemy to plan for without the slightest hesitation. There is no surprise at the "betrayal", she already saw them as an untrustworthy asshole, this is merely confirmation that they are an enemy she must eventually defeat.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

You just put this image of a very feminine and voluptuous Kyubey being whipped into my brain lmao

I'm not really joking by the way, we've seen that Vena's plush limbs are actually long sleeves covering up humanoid hands: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/looking_up_to_magical_girls_ch35#24 Knowing this series, I feel like it's inevitable.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I'm not really joking by the way, we've seen that Vena's plush limbs are actually long sleeves covering up humanoid hands: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/looking_up_to_magical_girls_ch35#24 Knowing this series, I feel like it's inevitable.

I actually missed the bit with the sleeves somehow, well, well, very interesting indeed. You're probably right, but it's still...an interesting mental image haha

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Memories of love, eh?

And Vena is going down. :D

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Don't you think this chapter hints at Shion having some connection to Lord? She already knows Utena is Baiser, has a grudge against her and Enormeeta and she gets angry when Randa tries to grab her ass. Maybe Lord's consciousness got sealed by Vena and Sister in the half-mask Shion wears?

joined Jun 9, 2022

Don't you think this chapter hints at Shion having some connection to Lord? She already knows Utena is Baiser, has a grudge against her and Enormeeta and she gets angry when Randa tries to grab her ass. Maybe Lord's consciousness got sealed by Vena and Sister in the half-mask Shion wears?

Honestly this chapter makes me think she is related to Lord but not Lord herself. She does not seem to have a real emotional reaction to Baiser.

Homura
joined Apr 30, 2021

So does that blush mean that she realizes who Utena is...?

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

God the Art of this series is just so good. I wonder what the new teams goal since they didn't attack them again.

Selfie
joined Aug 25, 2018

Wonder if there's a chance for a physical release in the west.

There is a french one, up to Vol.4 as for now

Fr*nce being based?!

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Hey, have we ever seen Alice smile like that outside of a “play” scene? Just genuinely happy and normal?

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

Ngl, this was in line to be one of my favorite manga like 10 chapters ago but anyone feel like it's kinda starting to drag on? Endless new characters, chapters where nothing basically happens. Just feels like the manga is in the serialization goop now, where its just stretching out chapters as long as possible and each chapter accomplishes less and less as a result. The momentum has been severely drained and the overall story doesn't feel as focused anymore.

last edited at Jul 19, 2022 3:40PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ngl, this was in line to be one of my favorite manga like 10 chapters ago but anyone feel like it's kinda starting to drag on? Endless new characters, chapters where nothing basically happens. Just feels like the manga is in the serialization goop now, where its just stretching out chapters as long as possible now and each chapter accomplishes less and less as a result.

I can see what you mean, but on the other hand, right now we simply seem to be in a phase introducing the new trio and their powers. Once Baiser has a grasp on who they are and what to do with them, things may get a bit more interesting again. Especially since the Shio-chans aren't even her end goal here - she's already decided to take down Vena as well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.