Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined Apr 17, 2022

green is cool but man do I just love alt girls

Alt girl sums her up style.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

But most of the comments are people bickering about rock and metal... :/

I'm not seeing any bickering, really. Mainly folks sharing their favorite sounds out of Japan. Love seeing folks being passionate about rock/metal, and also seeing a lot of names I've not encountered myself. I don't know that I'll ever have the time to check them all out, unfortunately, especially with literally hundreds of other albums I'd like to spin at some point in my life.

Stuff I do know about is Galneryus which were mentioned previously but I'd like to mention them again since they're pretty much the flagship of Japanese power metal, Desecravity, Intestine Baalism, Kyojin Daigyakusatsu, I cannot believe I forgot Ningen Isu... hm... been a while since I have heard any new Japanese music, really. I'll also recommend guitar player Masaaki Kishibe to any fan of fingerstyle guitar, one of the absolute best. I also know that neoclassical/shred/virtuoso rock/metal has been big in Japan to varying degrees for a good while, Michael Angelo Batio and Marty Friedman I specifically recall being huge over there.

To be completely honest, let me go on a little bit of a tangent myself: Japanese music in all forms is very uniquely flavored, to say the least, and there are a lot of acts with a lot of personality, for better or worse, and even the approach to (more) mainstream music writing can at sometimes be baffling to me, my greatest example would be what I believe is the opening theme for Release the Spyce, pretty awesome show by the way, which is a preppy-happy pop/rock tune (with uncharacteristically animated drum work,) that at some point bursts into a double-kick line and then into a goddamn blast beat, and it fucking works, for some reason! I find it incredibly interesting how the outside-the-box music structuring and composition are compared to western pop music's songwriting.

But one of the reasons that my musical sphere of influence doesn't reach Japanese music as much nowadays is that it is an absolute urethral needle to properly tag and catalog, which is something very important to me. By tag and catalog, I mean having the proper name of the band, proper name of their releases, proper track order, etc., and exactly because of the aforementioned unique flavor, there are a lot of bands with randomly capitalized names, completely nonsensical names, or names with goddamn emojis in them and it can be absolute goddamn ass to track and tag, especially if you're using something like Last.fm like I am, and on top of it all, there aren't many discography lists that are consistent in the information shown and stuff. It's a lot more prominent in pop music than in rock or metal - I'm a big fan of Yanagi Nagi (or Nagi Yanagi, however you'd prefer,) for instance, and the various listings of her discography, their inconsistencies, and lack of anything 'official' have made it very hard for me to track it and tag it properly throughout the years. Rant end. Goddamn, it feels good to get this out of my system.

last edited at May 10, 2022 8:33AM

joined Jan 3, 2020

Not a big music person, but I love this kind of story, where a romantically-assertive girl chases another one who didn't get a chance early on to clarify their gender (and doesn't correct the person later because they find they kind of like it).

Kind of like a coming of age story but with different cliches, so it feels fresher.

Also, the art style is fantastic. I really like how the artist manages to bring across the character's feelings without solely using blushing. The facial expressions are very emotive, and the light application of blushing (whereas many are heavy-handed with this) does so much more in my opinion to immerse the reader.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Not a big music person, but I love this kind of story, where a romantically-assertive girl chases another one who didn't get a chance early on to clarify their gender (and doesn't correct the person later because they find they kind of like it).

Kind of like a coming of age story but with different cliches, so it feels fresher.

Also, the art style is fantastic. I really like how the artist manages to bring across the character's feelings without solely using blushing. The facial expressions are very emotive, and the light application of blushing (whereas many are heavy-handed with this) does so much more in my opinion to immerse the reader.

100% agree. That was the best comment I've seen here.

To me the music aspect is a big bonus because I too am a rock fan among young people who do not listen to this genre a lot. Some people in this forum said that it was unrealistic that these teens were Nirvana and Foo Fighters fans but... y'all I'm 21 and that was the exact feeling I was experiencing 4 years ago as a "JK" obsessed with a 70s rock band not even my parents know of. I even had my Nirvana phase at ~13-14, supported by my rocker mom. So we do exist, specially with the internet that allows people from non-english speaking countries to find 70s-90s rock bands from the US and UK, and because of that the plot of two people bonding over listening to music that is not so popular with their peers is beautiful af.

The author has my thanks, I feel seen. And the art is incredible. You could feel what the uncle was feeling with his expressions alone in the last chapter. It takes some talent to do that and not be over the top.

last edited at May 10, 2022 12:35PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

To be completely honest, let me go on a little bit of a tangent myself: Japanese music in all forms is very uniquely flavored, to say the least, and there are a lot of acts with a lot of personality, for better or worse, and even the approach to (more) mainstream music writing can at sometimes be baffling to me, my greatest example would be what I believe is the opening theme for Release the Spyce, pretty awesome show by the way, which is a preppy-happy pop/rock tune (with uncharacteristically animated drum work,) that at some point bursts into a double-kick line and then into a goddamn blast beat, and it fucking works, for some reason! I find it incredibly interesting how the outside-the-box music structuring and composition are compared to western pop music's songwriting.

To me modern Japanese music is defined by Kuja's boss theme from Final Fantasy 9. It's a grand Organ accompanied by Classic Rock.

joined Apr 17, 2022

I keep re-reading this manga, the themes around music really resonate with me, reminding me of when i was growing up. At the risk of showing my age, i was a teen near the end of the grunge scene in the 90's, just replace Nirvana with Soundgarden as my band of choice. The music really resonated with us, the disillusioned in life. It really helped alleviate the teen angst while also solidifying it at the same time. These themes arent pushed in your face but they are there in the background of this manga.

last edited at May 10, 2022 7:03PM

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

OH BOY

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

If we just had one more chapter, green could dominate the "most popular" section of Dynasty's landing page.

joined Oct 22, 2020

Just roll with it Uncle-san, just roll with it.

onlyseulrene
joined Dec 14, 2019

yikes,, the way that this plot + art has a choke hold on me rn.. like my heart is tightening for no reason lmaoo

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

The artstyle is so Beautiful my eyes are glued on the screen!!!

B9236d1235202138436b1a383c5c82c8
joined Jan 26, 2021

Am I the only one that wondering why her uncle looks like Johnny Depp, lol.

last edited at May 12, 2022 9:04PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Great, now I can't unsee this.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Great, now I can't unsee this.

LOL! I wonder if the auntie looks like Amber Heard. XD

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

I really like the artstyle and their expressions. It's so gooooood. Never mind that I have the same taste in music or that I have piercings/tunnels and tats as well.

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

This!! By god, amazing style, nice dialogue, interesting frames and perspectives, the characters are SO SICK, the artist's hability is outstanding !! I hope this one lasts tbh, I'm rlly invested :D

Download
joined May 11, 2022

Reread this while waiting for new chapters to come out. I really love all the details that go into Mitsuki's design. Especially like how she tones down her style for school like taking her piercings out and covering the tattoo on her wrist. Really nice attention to detail on the author's part and I think it makes this whole misunderstanding trope slightly more realistic when she's actively not trying to stand out in school. I figure it's more of a personal choice on Mitsuki's part and not because of a strict dress code because all the other classmates have earrings, make up, and painted nails in school. It's this weird juxtaposition of not wanting to stand out or make friends, while acting surprisingly bold/confident with the girl she likes. Though I am wondering if she just paints her nails every day before work just to take it off for school idk seems like a force to me lol.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I figure it's more of a personal choice on Mitsuki's part and not because of a strict dress code because all the other classmates have earrings, make up, and painted nails in school.

The school could be strict tho. The only classmates we've seen are gyarus, and the common trope is that they don't exactly follow the school rules... Mistuki could be toning down her style and turning into a plain girl every morning because of the school rules while Gyaru-chan & Co. don't care and wear big earrings and make-up because... well, they are gals.

also, the mask Mitsuki wears at work could be related to strict school rules (forbidding students to have part-time jobs, therefore forcing her to hide her identity with a hoodie and mask).

last edited at May 14, 2022 9:01PM

joined Aug 13, 2021

Love the uncle originally being shocked by the lesbianism but now completely jumping the gun on them marrying.

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

YOOOO how are they feeding us so well? I turned my music off so I could really focus on the chapter.

Those numbers sure look smudged, pls let her not make a wrong phone call.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

is this mitski origin story

Enanano
joined Oct 16, 2020

The Johnny Depp looking uncle is a mood

Dynasty
joined Mar 17, 2022

Uncle already planning his Niece's wedding. Love it.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Love the uncle originally being shocked by the lesbianism but now completely jumping the gun on them marrying.

him coming to terms with the unavoidable yurification of his niece just like that makes him the best uncle in the world
uncle is the wingman confirmed

is this mitski origin story

LMFAO

last edited at May 15, 2022 11:18AM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Thank you for the birthday present

To reply you must either login or sign up.