Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined Sep 6, 2018

Art style and chapter length reminds me of mangaka Mikanuji. This manga is superbly done, would like to see chapters longer than four pages. Just out of curiosity, how long would it take for an artist to come up with four pages for a chapter?

I vaguely recall the artist who does “Pearls before Swine” say it takes most of the day for a single strip, and a whole weekend for Sunday comic strip (at his hangman art style, too). It’s daunting task to do four pages a week, by my amateur estimate.

I don’t think that phone number will be washed off, it will be tattooed on her skin “Memento”-style (backwards, so she can read it in a mirror’s reflection). Fun to see uncle’s reactions, kinda mirrors the reader’s reaction, too. Goth girl can easily pass off as her five o’clock shadowed uncle with a black permanent marker instead of girly makeup.

I’m not up on fashion so can someone tell me: Is Gothic a subset of grunge or is grunge a subset of gothic fashion?

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

That uncle is what I aspire to one day look like

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Goth girl can easily pass off as her five o’clock shadowed uncle with a black permanent marker instead of girly makeup.

I’m not up on fashion so can someone tell me: Is Gothic a subset of grunge or is grunge a subset of gothic fashion?

Without being able to see the color of her clothes, I don't think we can say she's a goth. I think rock girl fits better.

allmarbleslost
So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

I love this manga so much and this artist and her art style and and and -- [hyperventilates]

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Btw the moment I read 'Mistuki' at ch05 I yelled "AS IN MITSKI'S FIRST NAME???"
7/10 sure it's because of Mitski. Rock girlies, rise.

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

There are a lot of heavy rock / metal groups in Japan which also get quite a bit of attention internationally - ones that I like include:

Band Maid
Nemophila
Lovebites
Mary's Blood (though going on hiatus)
Mutant Monster

And Baby Metal. Don't forget Baby Metal. o3o

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This new Yuri Danshi chapter is looking good

Received_330739178846629
joined Jan 15, 2022

Uncle! Is uncle gonna be our comrade?!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Every chapter, the character design and facial expressions knock it straight out of the park. I love it!

Don't worry, uncle, you're absolutely correct.

Except, of course, that it wasn't, as you can clearly see from the Recently Added page showing them all together uploaded yesterday.

I usually look up the recently added on the prior pages on the main site. this is what I meant.

Main page shows chapters based on release dates, the recently added page lists them based on the dates they've been added to the site here, with release dates listed as well. In this case they all were added on the same day, but have three different release dates.

That's tripped me up before too. I wish it was the other way around, because I use the front page to see what's new on dynasty, so when it was actually released is much less important.

would have been infinitely better had the person been either trans man or trans woman tbh

Everything is always better with more queer rep thrown in the mix tbh

(not even remotely true, what with bad representation, but it's the thought that matters)

That woulda been a great story though, transmasc who's not out at school. But this still works, and is very cute and good.

Eh. Stories about trans characters are definitely nice, and there need to be more of them, but it's also good to have stories about androgenous characters or just characters who prefer to dress more like the opposite sex for comfort and aesthetic reasons, without actually being trans.

What about her VOICE? Does her voice changes as well when she changes her look?
I mean cos otherwise it should be easy to recognize her, after talking to her both at the store and at school.

Given that she was unintentionally speaking differently in general I wouldn't call it too far fetched to say she's probably speaking in a different tone of voice as well.

I mean hell, as someone that works in in a restaurant I absolutely speak to customers in a totally different way than I do when I'm just normally speaking to someone. I've also had coworkers tell me that I speak in a lower voice when I answer the phone.

It's also a confidence thing! People speak different when they're appearing the way they want to and in a space they're comfortable in.

She also wears a mask at the store, but not at school, which will muffle her voice a bit, and that might be enough to throw off someone who's doesn't hear her speak very often.

I know that DragonForce is quite big in Japan

Amusingly, to my knowledge, metal is pretty big in Japan in general and the scene is very lively, and power metal specifically is relatively mainstream, I think. In a way, I think I wouldn't be surprised if DragonForce would be considered more widespread than Foo Fighters or Nirvana.

In any case, I'm a big fan of everything this story has shown so far, and hopefully, it keeps with it. Loving the uncle/niece designs in particular.

Apologies in advance for going off at a tangent...

There are a lot of heavy rock / metal groups in Japan which also get quite a bit of attention internationally - ones that I like include:

Band Maid
Nemophila
Lovebites
Mutant Monster

Honourable mention to:
Kari Band (BOH and friends - more jazz/funk/fusion)
Esprit D'Air (UK based but definitely J-rock)

Anyway back on track... The uncle does have a little bit of a Dave Grohl look about him.
Really hoping that the story will continue after they get past the reveal.

Then there's MAN WITH A MISSION, a Japanese rock band that wears wolf masks when they perform and I'm just going to quote Wikipedia on their backstory:

"created as the "Ultimate Life Form" by Jimi Hendrix, who is described by the band as being the doctor of the guitar and master wolf biologist. They were then frozen in Antarctica for years. While they were frozen, they had been listening to all kinds of music from all around the world, before later escaping and emerging onto the Japanese music scene."

There website also mentions the Principality of Zeon, because of course Gundam is involved.

last edited at May 8, 2022 11:38PM

Tail_nap_by_twokinds-dc7pz78
joined Aug 11, 2016

Chad uncle

18992b47e3036da3324d1a85848e4b9e
joined Jul 16, 2019

For real, we have to "wingman" tag in dynasty reader

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

would have been infinitely better had the person been either trans man or trans woman tbh

Your nick is right, you're very silly.

Don't diss lesbians.

what, why shouldnt het trans dudes get love :(

last edited at May 9, 2022 2:11AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Look, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Nirvana or Foo Fighters, but

I've hardly listened to Nirvana so there's only like 1 song I like. That being "Something in the Way"...

BEGONE PLEBS

Nirvana is one of the greatest bands to ever exist, single handedly destroying 80's hair metal and giving us the greatest era of music to have ever exist in the history. Foo Fighters are the child birthed by great 90's rock and keeping the genre alive with their incredible sound no matter how many weak willed pop wannabe's state the death of rock every year.

Finally the time of the angry 90's teen has come, get out your oversized clothes and skate boards cause we back baby.

After reading this post while listening to Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton doing 'Can't find my way Home', I couldn't help chuckling. 90's had good music, so did the 80's, but late 60's into the 70's produced the best rock music EVER!!! This is sure to start some waves over music, but we all can agree that this is a good manga and look forward to more.

Bahh humbug, old music has the advantage that the good ones have already been identified. But modern rock/metal has by far the greatest soundscapes and higher instrumental proficiency

_______%20(12)
joined Feb 18, 2018

there is also similiar manga to this, the title is handsome girl and sheltered girl
the cute girl misunderstanding the tomboy as a boy, and start dating
even after the tomboy reveal her gender, the cute girl still loves her, accepted and have a sweet happy ending
I hope this one have a sweet story too to the end..

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

'mistaken for a guy' stories i can usually take or leave, but i do love a good dual identity story!

You just reminded me that I have been waiting for YEARS for the telling twins apart story to continue https://dynasty-scans.com/series/futakaku_kankei

Pfp2%20(3)
joined Apr 26, 2022

Look, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Nirvana or Foo Fighters, but

I've hardly listened to Nirvana so there's only like 1 song I like. That being "Something in the Way"...

BEGONE PLEBS

Nirvana is one of the greatest bands to ever exist, single handedly destroying 80's hair metal and giving us the greatest era of music to have ever exist in the history. Foo Fighters are the child birthed by great 90's rock and keeping the genre alive with their incredible sound no matter how many weak willed pop wannabe's state the death of rock every year.

Finally the time of the angry 90's teen has come, get out your oversized clothes and skate boards cause we back baby.

After reading this post while listening to Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton doing 'Can't find my way Home', I couldn't help chuckling. 90's had good music, so did the 80's, but late 60's into the 70's produced the best rock music EVER!!! This is sure to start some waves over music, but we all can agree that this is a good manga and look forward to more.

Bahh humbug, old music has the advantage that the good ones have already been identified. But modern rock/metal has by far the greatest soundscapes and higher instrumental proficiency

lol the album she gave her is thrash metal and while I don't hate grunge but it's just not hard enough for my tastes... anyway thank god we have alt girls who like thrash metal. I'm beyond happy

last edited at May 9, 2022 2:24AM

Pfp2%20(3)
joined Apr 26, 2022

Goth girl can easily pass off as her five o’clock shadowed uncle with a black permanent marker instead of girly makeup.

Without being able to see the color of her clothes, I don't think we can say she's a goth. I think rock girl fits better.

I would say she is a rocker at least but probably more of a metalhead based of off the black widow album and how heavy it is

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Everything is always better with more queer rep thrown in the mix tbh

(not even remotely true, what with bad representation, but it's the thought that matters)

That woulda been a great story though, transmasc who's not out at school. But this still works, and is very cute and good.

Eh. Stories about trans characters are definitely nice, and there need to be more of them, but it's also good to have stories about androgenous characters or just characters who prefer to dress more like the opposite sex for comfort and aesthetic reasons, without actually being trans.

What gets me about this is literal decades of this "not actually trans" androgynous or othered gender presentation has been present in manga. And it has been present while cozying up to / or sometimes blatantly for the purpose of, transphobia, to the point where you can't give them the benefit of the doubt that they are like, positively portraying diverse gender expression lol. I would actually need to see like markedly more trans narratives to begin with, just in like a niche little space for one, and then when like the few canonically trans characters in major shounen / mainstream anime do show up , their fanbases treat them as such, secondly. Otherwise, its still the status quo of trans people not actually existing (I'm still a man ad nauseam), where "comfort and aesthetic reasons" sounds like a permutation of "why cant you just be a feminine man" when it more clearly suggests an intersection of expression AND identity (given "comfort" in particular).

That's to say nothing to worry about here, but yeah, hard butch yuri is hard to come by regardless so happy to maybe see some of that at play here. apologies for autism paragraphing.

last edited at May 9, 2022 2:32AM

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

don't worry Uncle,she's on the right path

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

i hope the Uncle will join us

joined Jun 11, 2021

Given that we're talking about jp metal stuff, here's a dump of lesser known metal bands from jp i found over the years:
黒夜葬, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H
I tried to only put metal bands here, but some non-metal ones might have slipped by, also most of those are really hard to find. there are some pretty known ones tho. Some vocaloid stuff, some touhou stuff, some dead bands, sorted in no particular order, but most have at least something interesting to listen to.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

tbf, Japanese rock/metal culture seems to be more into a goth-adjacent style than elsewhere, generally. Bit of ye olde glam thrown in, too.

e: Not yuri, obviously, but Kachou Ouji has a nicesoundtrack. Thoroughly recommended, especially let you go let me go ;)

last edited at May 9, 2022 7:16AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

dule333 posted:

Given that we're talking about jp metal stuff, here's a dump of lesser known metal bands from jp i found over the years:
, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H
I tried to only put metal bands here, but some non-metal ones might have slipped by, also most of those are really hard to find. there are some pretty known ones tho. Some vocaloid stuff, some touhou stuff, some dead bands, sorted in no particular order, but most have at least something interesting to listen to.

There's also Unlucky Morpheus, Aldious, and LOVEBITES which are all great bands I never seem to see mentioned in conversations like this. exist†trace's older stuff was pretty decent but their newer stuff tends to be closer to pop due to their singer injuring her vocal cords. Also UtsuP is the best Vocaloid producer.

last edited at May 9, 2022 7:41AM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

This needs the wholesome tag, pretty please ;^;

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Astraea Hill posted:

Band Maid
Nemophila
Lovebites
Mutant Monster
[...]

dule333 posted:

, Galneryus, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, 5150, Denkare, Yousei Teikoku, Powerless/MuryokuP, UtsuP, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Matutinum Miserabilis, UI-70, まぐなむお~ぱす, Onmyo-za, Pearls Before Swine, Pizuya's Cell, Dragon Guardian, Yakui the Maid, Takamachi Walk, IRON ATTACK!, UNDEAD CORPORATION, i-chan, Unlucky Morpheus, Piece Of Rain, Vanitas Vanitatum, Caz, Diabolic Phantasma, Hone Your Sense, S.S.H

Alice Chesire posted:
There's also Unlucky Morpheus, Aldious, and LOVEBITES which are all great bands I never seem to see mentioned in conversations like this. [...]

Idk anything about this topic but just thought I'd point it out, might make you feel glad to see two of the bands you like have received recognition from earlier posts :)

To reply you must either login or sign up.