Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I may be more excited about this beach trip than they are.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

She's a bit younger than i thought - id of guessed 25,26. Im glad though, closer to matsuri's.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'll take being given that age information as a "look, they aren't too far apart for romantic involvement" hint.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'll take being given that age information as a "look, they aren't too far apart for romantic involvement" hint.

I don't remember how we did the math, but I thought that 23 was this forum's best guess on her age some time ago.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

"....who is this adorable creature?"

Hard agree Ayame-san. How can one be a Goddess and yet be so adorable?! Ahhh this was just about everything I wanted out of this chapter. And that second page illustration was beautiful! Thanks for translating and bringing us this wonderful work!

last edited at Apr 25, 2022 6:33PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"....who is this adorable creature?"

Hard agree Ayame-san. How can one be a Goddess and yet be so adorable?! Ahhh this was just about everything I wanted out of this chapter. And that second page illustration was beautiful! Thanks for translating and bringing us this wonderful work!

Ditto. About all I have is: so cute!

But that is enough.

joined Apr 5, 2022

Looks like they're trying to get Matsuri to make a move :3

Bikini Ms. Sunflower was lovely too (´・ω・) I'm always looking forward to more

last edited at Apr 25, 2022 8:13PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

So Himawari-san and her brother didn't have a happy childhood. That's interesting. I hope we'll get more details about that. If we haven't yet. Maybe we did and I just forgot. lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So Himawari-san and her brother didn't have a happy childhood. That's interesting. I hope we'll get more details about that. If we haven't yet. Maybe we did and I just forgot. lol

We did, but not a great deal of detail, iirc. (I seem to recall that it was the mom leaving, but I definitely could be misremembering that).

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Well, never expected a beach/swimsuit chapter for this series, but am not complaining.
Swimsuits! Cute!

Img_20190914_203449_543
joined Apr 14, 2020

When are they gonna smooch smooch?

joined May 1, 2015

Miss Sunflower gets cuter and cuter as time passes.
Matsuri needs to step up her game.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

A goddess has descended...

joined Feb 21, 2019

beach chapter = miss sunflower in a swimsuit = Matsuri-chan REALLY liked that xD

a lot of nice moments for the final chapter of volume 8:

fuuko physically outclassing everyone then meeting her match with nii-san xD lovely moment between Himawari and Ayame, Ami being everyone's wingman, ritsuko fangirling over Ayame, real nice sibling bonding time, s-tier expressions from miss sunflower, matsuri making her move on miss sunflower :D

last edited at Apr 26, 2022 8:28AM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Romance and the beach go hand-in-hand. I wonder why?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So I just re-read the entire series, and noted a few things, like a subtle retcon where the Sunflower Bookery was originally “in the middle” of the school grounds, then later “in front of” the school, a revision which makes more sense anyway.

Miss Sunflower & Onii-san’s family life: Both the mother and father worked a lot, and the mother walked out when Miss Sunflower was in grade school and the brother was in middle school. No real reason was given, although the father also seems to have been mostly physically and emotionally absent.

That left the two kids to take care of themselves to a large degree—Miss S. seems to have been in charge of meal prep and the household accounts at a young age, she rarely got new clothes, and she even celebrated her high school graduation with a different family (the couple who taught her how to run a bookstore). Onii-san moved out as soon as he graduated high school, indicating a lack of connection to the father, although later chapters suggest that it was about his grief at the death of the first Miss Sunflower.

Although the early depictions of the siblings’ family life suggested physical and emotional neglect, each parent got a bit of a rehab scene, in particular Miss Sunflower’s memory of her mother reading to her when she was sick. The father is shown as an almost compulsive reader, which still entails emotional distance and neglect, but reading is such a positive element in this series that he probably can’t be all bad.

The introduction of the first Miss Sunflower is where the series swings from being just a light SOL to something with greater emotional depth, and the development of how the older characters related to her and how she parallels and contrasts with the present-time events makes her the thematic pivot of the series—characters are always thinking of how others are or are not like the first Miss Sunflower.

And it’s almost (but not quite) not a joke to say that in certain respects this is the most offbeat harem manga ever, as shown by Miss Sunflower at the beach surrounded by her young worshippers.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

"No need for books where we're going."

"I understood every word in that sentence, but they don't make any sense when put in that order."

I know you say you understand all the words, but is english not your first language? To me it reads like a perfectly normal sentence that makes 100% sense?

She basically said ' (There is) no need of books where we are going'. - i.e the beach - the beach is for playing in the sand and sea not reading books! At least according to all but miss sunflower :)

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I know you say you understand all the words, but is english not your first language? To me it reads like a perfectly normal sentence that makes 100% sense?

... the point here is saying you cannot understand how there possibly can be a place where you don't read. It's not about literally not understanding a sentence, just hyperbole ^^;

joined Jan 14, 2020

Yes. And "I understood every word in that sentence, but they don't make any sense when put in that order." is a not un-common joke/meme.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ ^^ lol ok- Im not up on meme's etc and just took it literally.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Get a room, you two! Head-patting! What's next--hand-holding?

Lilisionnach
Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Well done indeed!! Well deserved head pats for Matsuri!

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Get a room, you two! Head-patting! What's next--hand-holding?

Behave, such lewd acts are too much for this series.

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Gah, this manga has been spoiling us (and Matsuri) with these Miss Sunflower costumes lately.
And it's good to see them growing ever closer, and more mature, as well.
Guess Blastaar was right about the focus on Matsuri developing into a fine young lady, one who can stay by her beloved Miss Sunflower's side forever.

last edited at May 10, 2022 12:10AM

joined Aug 21, 2017

This forum be like:

Gained some odd fans.

To reply you must either login or sign up.