Forum › I Wish Her Love Could Come True discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

it isn't 100% pointless to point out bad behavior.

Upon this we must agree to disagree.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Morality is only pointed out when it's about sex.

When it's about murder or theft, no one cares.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Doctor_Hoot posted:

I mean, murder and theft are considered crimes on their own, right? Sex is not.

No, but assault is.

In all cases, a crime is committed.

But I don't see many people saying "killing bad! Don't do this".

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 11:18AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean, murder and theft are considered crimes on their own, right? Sex is not. It's a highly personal topic for most people, so I don't think it's weird that it's there's more discourse around its fictional depiction. Although violent crime and property crime in fiction aren't exactly uncontroversial either in my experience.

To be clear, my objection (which has the same status as any other opinion) is not about debating depictions of morally ambiguous behavior in stories. It's to the inevitable "Don't do this at home!" lectures that move immediately out of the story to real life, "reminding" us that "bad thing is bad."

My corresponding "reminder" is that it's in the nature of stories, all of which involve some kind of conflict and often involving people behaving sub-optimally, that tons of things are depicted differently in their specific fictional contexts than they would appear in a real-life court of law or in a human-resources adjudication.

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Anyways. This does fall back into my usual ideal of "Boy howdy do I love awful girls and women" trope. Which is great. If she gets better about it, that's fine, if she doesn't even better.

Y'know. Be gay, do crimes and all.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Anyways. This does fall back into my usual ideal of "Boy howdy do I love awful girls and women" trope. Which is great. If she gets better about it, that's fine, if she doesn't even better.

For me it's more like, we've seen this basic trope of the "girl almost kisses her sleeping crush" a ton of times in yuri before, and the vast majority of the time it's averted at the last moment, usually by an attack of conscience (and most of the other times it's "crush is actually awake and wants the girl to go for it"--see That Time I Was Blackmailed by the Class Green Tea Bitch).

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DudeShesLikeInAComa

Going for it, and then going way further than that, is pretty rare in the yuri I've read, and I'll be interested to see how it's ultimately handled.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Hmmm let's see here. We have Aaaaaagst Love triangle Het and Yuri tags all in one story. My guess is that Misa's beloved sempi will be in love with Yoh. And Yoh will use that love to get between Misa and sempi. Yoh will probably even go as far as to have sex with the guy, to make Misa give up on him.

I hope I'm wrong I absolutely hate the "lesbian sleeping with the straight girl's boyfriend/crush, in order sabotage their relationship" trope. It just seems like such an obvious losing strategy for everybody involved.

Edit: What kind of sales pitch is, "That guy ignored you, and had sex with me. You should give up on that jerk and go out with me instead" anyway.

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 2:39PM

ZippyZapmeister
Yatsude_!
joined Jan 13, 2019

+1.

joined Dec 13, 2020

Well, not everyone reading the stuff on the site is an adult with a fully developed brain, a veteran forum member, or a literature major.

I've met a lot of rude people in these forums in the past—but I think this is the first time some guy has the cheek to say that anyone who likes the stuff he doesn't like is obviously not "an adult with a fully developed brain".

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

+1.

To put it in other words: I support women's rights; I support women's wrongs too.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, not everyone reading the stuff on the site is an adult with a fully developed brain, a veteran forum member, or a literature major.

I've met a lot of rude people in these forums in the past—but I think this is the first time some guy has the cheek to say that anyone who likes the stuff he doesn't like is obviously not "an adult with a fully developed brain".

To be fair, that's not what the poster was saying. As I understand it, they were defending the idea that it's not ridiculous for readers to post to the forum declaring that things being depicted in stories that are obviously bad are bad in real life, because some Dynasty readers may be too young, immature, or uneducated to know that, and therefore those "Don't do this at home" posters may be performing a public service by educating such readers.

joined Aug 6, 2021

This most certainly should be tagged with something like dick move or sexual harassment/groping/molestation.

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

This most certainly should be tagged with something like dick move or sexual harassment/groping/molestation.

It is.

23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

That sweet sweet... yuri molestation...

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Welp, I went and read the raws, and overall I thought it was pretty unsatisfying. Nothing ever happens between the MC and her friend because the manga was axed, and the only kiss we get is a forced kiss with the dude.

So yeah, not very satisfying.

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 7:17PM

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Welp, I went and read the raws, and overall I thought it was pretty unsatisfying. Nothing ever happens between the MC and her friend because the manga was axed, and the only kiss we get is a forced kiss with the dude.

Fastest drop you've ever seen right here.

2%20-%20jmdagff
joined Aug 31, 2014

It looks like it's going to make me suffer... something bittersweet maybe

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Why even bother translating a series that was axed before it's time I'm not complaining, I'm genuinely asking

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 9:33PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Why even bother translating a series that was axed before it's time I'm not complaining, I'm genuinely asking

Well, I heard the last volume has a bonus chapter. Maybe the author managed to give the story some sort of conclusion there. Not sure about that though. I only read the raws from the serialization.

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 10:03PM

ZippyZapmeister
Yatsude_!
joined Jan 13, 2019

+1.

To put it in other words: I support women's rights; I support women's wrongs too.

True feminism is reading yuri with the molestation tag with enthusiasm

joined Aug 7, 2020

Prepare for the wild ride folks, it's going down from here jk

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

That went from bittersweet, to a whole lotta NOPE!

My aare all the cute ones MAJOR CREEPS?

joined Sep 6, 2018

Well, I heard the last volume has a bonus chapter. Maybe the author managed to give the story some sort of conclusion there. Not sure about that though. I only read the raws from the serialization.

Considering this died on the vine before it’s time, I think I’d prefer just a single data dump of all the chapters at once onto this website. I’m not interested in reading the series over a whole year and end up getting majorly disappointed.

Edit: I do appreciate getting notice on how it was received across the pond, it helps enhance or discourage my enthusiasm for the manga beforehand.

last edited at Apr 18, 2022 7:08PM

joined Nov 11, 2010

Why even bother translating a series that was axed

Here's the author's blog post about vol 3 (the last)
https://kanalinapictures.wordpress.com/2021/07/17/3巻カバーデザイン/

Here she states that her contract was originally for 2 volumes and that she got it extended to 3 by persistent badgering of the editorial department. Continuing further might've been possible with more sales/popularity, but the story was composed from the start to wrap up in 3 volumes.

Amazon reviews for the series are mixed.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B09BN5RNHH/#customerReviews
One reader claims that it's a happy yuri end. Another says that while the end is uncertain, it provides hope.

In any case it is a shoujo work published under a non-yuri shoujo imprint. In other words, yuri for straight(?) girls. That understandably limits its audience, but I appreciate it.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So, it was never axed and the haters are just bullshitting.

Noted.

And I looked on MU: this is the only yuri work in that shoujo magazine.

last edited at Apr 19, 2022 2:25AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.