Forum › Accept My Fist of Love! discussion

PinkYellowBlueDragon
joined Aug 7, 2021

My thoughts exactly! Cute though

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Well, I really love but I'm a bit conflicted with the end. This best situation is that takebe is asexual and it just wasn't addressed in detail. But part of me just cant help feeling like this was written by a straight guy who doesnt understand that there actual sexual attraction between gay people and just wanted to right a yuri story. Takebe didnt have a single feeling of sexual attraction the whole story, and Soramori`s came off as more obsession than anything. That's what happens when 90% of "yuri" in eastern media is just fetishized queer baiting. It breaks my poor queer heart if that's the case. Ace people just aren't represented nearly enough despite being 5% of the population. Either way, it was good and I'm optimistic in my mind!

I know three different ace people who recommended this for being very true to their experience - they're the entire reason I read it. So...I dunno, I think it's better to just take the good and roll with it, rather than go too much into things we really have no idea about.

joined Mar 8, 2016

Well, I really love but I'm a bit conflicted with the end. This best situation is that takebe is asexual and it just wasn't addressed in detail. But part of me just cant help feeling like this was written by a straight guy who doesnt understand that there actual sexual attraction between gay people and just wanted to right a yuri story. Takebe didnt have a single feeling of sexual attraction the whole story, and Soramori`s came off as more obsession than anything. That's what happens when 90% of "yuri" in eastern media is just fetishized queer baiting. It breaks my poor queer heart if that's the case. Ace people just aren't represented nearly enough despite being 5% of the population. Either way, it was good and I'm optimistic in my mind!

I know three different ace people who recommended this for being very true to their experience - they're the entire reason I read it. So...I dunno, I think it's better to just take the good and roll with it, rather than go too much into things we really have no idea about.

100% agree! Thats really all we can do. Either way it was well done and I enjoyed it. Just think it should be tagged as ace at least. Just for the people who are sadly a bit more ignorant about these things. It's the only way they can start learning and whatnot.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

^ You know, I had been misreading the title as "Accept My First Love" (for months, even after reading it twice), which... didn't really seem odd since Takebe was Soramori's first love, right? So yeah, these comments were how I noticed that it was actually "Accept my Fist of Love", which is, like, a hundred times better and funnier as a title? How did I even not notice? I get the "fist" turned to "first" but I just went and omitted a whole word there?! lol

Anyway, this was a pretty nice manga, even with the wrong title lol. I couldn't get enough of Takebe's scowls.
And yes, I did feel like I understood asexual people a little bit better, so that was neat.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013
Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

catch these hands

Grindin-amp-kissing-cstvaemk37-540x312
joined Feb 22, 2021

^ You know, I had been misreading the title as "Accept My First Love" (for months, even after reading it twice), which... didn't really seem odd since Takebe was Soramori's first love, right? So yeah, these comments were how I noticed that it was actually "Accept my Fist of Love", which is, like, a hundred times better and funnier as a title? How did I even not notice? I get the "fist" turned to "first" but I just went and omitted a whole word there?! lol

Anyway, this was a pretty nice manga, even with the wrong title lol. I couldn't get enough of Takebe's scowls.
And yes, I did feel like I understood asexual people a little bit better, so that was neat.

Grindin-amp-kissing-cstvaemk37-540x312
joined Feb 22, 2021

Lol I was also misreading title, and the fact that this is my m fourth time re-reading this Manga

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I don't know why, but the Yen Press title for this series is the funniest damn thing to me. I giggle like an idiot every time I think about it.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Catch these hands huh

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I'm gray ace, and while I don't feel like this represents my personal experience especially closely, I can see how other ace people could feel it matches them accurately.
While I don't want to speak for aromantic or demisexual people, I also wonder if Takebe might resonate more for them than she did me.

The confusing thing about asexuality as compared to most other sexualities is it's a term that stands for a very wide range of experiences. It's difficult to define the absence or near absence of sexual desires, and oftentimes it comes with some minutiae or caveats that can be very different for different people.

Personally, it took me a very long time to really figure it out for myself, which I think would certainly have been easier if it was something people were given more of a chance to even know exists.
(Actually, it was only after seeing the term "gray-ace" on these very forums that I began finding out there's even a term for what I feel lol)

With that in mind, I'm very appreciative of people's readings of asexuality in this manga (and others), regardless of what the author may or may not have intended.

also fwiw I don't think there's a strong reason to give this an asexuality tag. There might be an ace protagonist, or perhaps two, but the work doesn't concern itself with that.

edit:

That's what happens when 90% of "yuri" in eastern media is just fetishized queer baiting. It breaks my poor queer heart if that's the case. Ace people just aren't represented nearly enough despite being 5% of the population. Either way, it was good and I'm optimistic in my mind!

Let's not pretend western media is much better at writing stories about queer people. Most of the time they can't even write stories about non-white people. :P
It's more like "that's what you get when the writers for all media disproportionately represent the majority" lol

I know three different ace people who recommended this for being very true to their experience - they're the entire reason I read it. So...I dunno, I think it's better to just take the good and roll with it, rather than go too much into things we really have no idea about

That's my general philosophy. I've found that speaking for other people tends to result in me sticking my foot in my mouth out of well-meaning ignorance.

last edited at Mar 2, 2022 8:09PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wish translators wouldn't use expressions like "I let the mask slip" as they did in one of these chapters. I mean I want to know what it REALLY says. I want to LEARN Japanese expressions, not see their American equivalents

That's a legitimate personal opinion, but I don't agree. Japanese idioms are often deeply embedded in cultural context and literary tradition and don't make any sense when ported directly into the target language without translator's notes explaining them, sometimes extensive ones. Part of the art of translation is dealing with stuff like that on a case-by-case basis.

Some of these idioms below would work literally translated into English, but I'd say most of them would be confusing at best and probably incomprehensible to most readers.

https://www.theintrepidguide.com/japanese-expressions-and-idioms/

Export202201160511213540
joined Jan 10, 2022

on some websites it's written, that Chapter 20 is the last, but that's not true, at least Ch. 20 from Dynasty is not the end. Maybe because some Chapters have more than one part, that this was mistaken.
Will it be still translated, or has the Scanlation Group dropped it?
I know, there's an official release, but some licensed Mangas are still translated, because e lot of people who read it in english are not from the US or GB ;o)

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

on some websites it's written, that Chapter 20 is the last, but that's not true, at least Ch. 20 from Dynasty is not the end. Maybe because some Chapters have more than one part, that this was mistaken.
Will it be still translated, or has the Scanlation Group dropped it?
I know, there's an official release, but some licensed Mangas are still translated, because e lot of people who read it in english are not from the US or GB ;o)

idk it's written The End at the last page, pretty explicit to me.

theonlinehero
Thumb-128070
joined May 3, 2022

How nice to come back to this after almost a year! Huge amounts of nostalgia hit me like a truck.

Trannosaurus
Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

This series was so great!!!

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

What a good little read. Was not felling it very much at the first two chapters, but by the last 2 i was crying (tought i have to confess that making me cry is not that hard). I would have loved to have more characters interacting with the couple, maybe another one with the parents and Takebe old gang, maybe im just being greedy.
Big thanks for everyone involved in scalantion and hosting. One these days i have to try and buy some of these, wonder if they deliver here in Brazil.

last edited at Aug 18, 2022 12:36PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.