Forum › My Mom's a Superstar discussion

01'4
joined Dec 20, 2018

This kid is a dynasty thread when subtext
I love this

joined Aug 1, 2019

this was made on the 10th this year... idk why people are making assumptions

Because they are Sinophobes.
You can find comparable poppycock in the comments section for every manhua in the forum.
It's sad.

It's not sinophobic to be worried about a government attempting to restrict LGBT representation. My worry is for the Chinese people that write & read this stuff. Apparently the government there has implemented new laws restricting LGBT representation in entertainment.

I don't know whether this was a Chinese or Taiwanese publication or how far those laws extend. I just wanted some context as to where this was published and it's relation to the new Chinese law.

LunaaSnow Uploader
Zephyr Scans
joined Oct 7, 2021

You can find comparable poppycock in the comments section for every manhua in the forum.
It's sad.

It's not sinophobic to be worried about a government attempting to restrict LGBT representation. My worry is for the Chinese people that write & read this stuff. Apparently the government there has implemented new laws restricting LGBT representation in entertainment.

I don't know whether this was a Chinese or Taiwanese publication or how far those laws extend. I just wanted some context as to where this was published and it's relation to the new Chinese law.

I get that you're coming from a good place, but your concern would be much better placed on irl LGBT rights NGOs rather than creators of gay manhuas on the internet. FYI, censorship is rampant in China and it's bad, but it only affects "mainstream" stuff like published books and TV series. But even then it just removes the explicit and steamy parts, the gay is still retained.

Just look at the sheer number of BL animations and manhuas that get published each year and you'll understand. (They bring in huge money) They can never kiss explicitly on screen, but every single audience knows that they're gay through keywords and tropes.

Also, it IS kind of irritating to see "China is bad and has banned all gay stuff so how can this exist?!" in every GL manhua in here so I hope you'll understand where our frustration stems from.

LunaaSnow Uploader
Zephyr Scans
joined Oct 7, 2021

(And no, these creators are never at risk for creating gay content. The worse that could happen is that we'll have to scroll down 20 pictures of memes before reaching the good parts.) Much less creators of cute and entirely sfw manhuas like Shi Yi Er.

LunaaSnow Uploader
Zephyr Scans
joined Oct 7, 2021

One last thing: if youve ever read about bl authors being allegedly jailed for simply writing bl, it's not true. Those are either 1) slander from antis of said author 2) fearmongering "china is terrible!" tactic targeted towards western ppl like you

Fdda5bf7eb53d241c2af3362cfcf1420-240x304
joined Oct 2, 2016

I don't buy the reason that it's just all for a show. Cause you won't bring a girl over to your home, with no paparazzi and are still all over each other in front of your daughter.

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

And no, these creators are never at risk for creating gay content.

The most they risk is becoming millionaires if their work is a huge success. XD

A series I really love is Mo Dao Zu Shi, it's xianxia and it's very gay, with extremely explicit descriptions of gay sex. The original novel was published on an online platform in 2015 and then printed as paper books in 2016 and reprinted in 2018. The ongoing manhua adaptation (started in 2017) is so popular it was awarded the Best Manhua award at the Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Festival. The audio drama based on the novel aired in three seasons from 2018 to 2020 and has such massive popularity (hundreds of millions of playbacks) it's still today in the top 3 most listened to series in the overall ranking for audio streaming websites. The anime adaptation also has three seasons (plus a Q spinoff); the third and final season aired a few months ago, from August to October, and of course the two mcs are just as gay as in the novel and get their happy gay ending in the last episode! (Squee!) And there's a live action series as well, 50 episodes of 40 minutes each, which was filmed in 2019-2020. I've found it on Youtube and just started watching it, it seems very well made and I'm liking it a lot! (Tho I'd say... Wangji's actor is too much of a pretty boy, he should look more strong and manly!!!)

This, I think, is a good example of how gay stories are not only quite common in Chinese media but also hugely popular—and widely acclaimed!

joined Aug 1, 2019

It's sad.

I get that you're coming from a good place, but your concern would be much better placed on irl LGBT rights NGOs rather than creators of gay manhuas on the internet. FYI, censorship is rampant in China and it's bad, but it only affects "mainstream" stuff like published books and TV series. But even then it just removes the explicit and steamy parts, the gay is still retained.

Just look at the sheer number of BL animations and manhuas that get published each year and you'll understand. (They bring in huge money) They can never kiss explicitly on screen, but every single audience knows that they're gay through keywords and tropes.

Also, it IS kind of irritating to see "China is bad and has banned all gay stuff so how can this exist?!" in every GL manhua in here so I hope you'll understand where our frustration stems from.

My worries are on the actual people, I just didn't think that was relevant to this Manhua's comment thread in particular. But I know Chinese law would be and I really don't understand it much. I asked hoping someone here would know about the publish location & how Chinese law affects production of these works, as that's relevant to the work itself.

last edited at Jan 15, 2022 5:01PM

joined May 24, 2019

My worries are on the actual people.

Wrong forum then. We're all about fictional people here.

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

It's sad.

My worries are on the actual people, I just didn't think that was relevant to this Manhua's comment thread in particular. But I know Chinese law would be and I really don't understand it much. I asked hoping someone here would know about the publish location & how Chinese law affects production of these works, as that's relevant to the work itself.

I believe the strip is posted on their weibo aka the Mainland Chinese equivalent of Twitter. So it’s not so mainstream as say a physical book published by a publishing house or say a tv show on broadcast TV (but not really sure how relevant it is because most of the popular shows are online shows only). Does it need to abide by local law yes, but at the same time it’s kind of like is anyone paying any attention to it (this strip)? It’s probably fine until as someone else has said, it becomes mainstream and or a billion people are following, commenting and discussing. Were the comic to take place in real life, a child holding up a fan that has a heart with two women in it would not be enough to be censored, it’s not as someone else has said “explicit” enough. It’s not like you display gay and then you’re whisked away to prison… if that happened in Mainland the camera operators (if they knew what it meant) may not even focus on it, and even if they did it’s “innocent” enough to not really flag on anyones radar.

To add more nuance to the background information there’s online comic readers like Kuai Kan that have Yuri (both Chinese and translated from Japanese and Korean), and they seem to be fine (probably because it’s a comic so it’s more niche). There’s a comic called Shuang Jing (which also has an online series, not sure which one came first) , about a female assassin and a female writer… I think it’s pretty obvious for those in the know but it would fly over other people’s heads for those not in the know (most other people)

TLDR, it’s more nuanced than display gay and go to jail.

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

what are you guys talking about?

let's just enjoy the story

wait,i forgot if this is Manhwa or Manhua

last edited at Jan 18, 2022 4:56AM

LunaaSnow Uploader
Zephyr Scans
joined Oct 7, 2021

wait,i forgot if this is Manhwa or Manhua

Manhua! Korean comics are called manhwa

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

A series I really love is Mo Dao Zu Shi, it's xianxia and it's very gay, with extremely explicit descriptions of gay sex. The original novel was published on an online platform in 2015 and then printed as paper books in 2016 and reprinted in 2018. The ongoing manhua adaptation (started in 2017) is so popular it was awarded the Best Manhua award at the Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Festival. The audio drama based on the novel aired in three seasons from 2018 to 2020 and has such massive popularity (hundreds of millions of playbacks) it's still today in the top 3 most listened to series in the overall ranking for audio streaming websites. The anime adaptation also has three seasons (plus a Q spinoff); the third and final season aired a few months ago, from August to October, and of course the two mcs are just as gay as in the novel and get their happy gay ending in the last episode! (Squee!) And there's a live action series as well, 50 episodes of 40 minutes each, which was filmed in 2019-2020. I've found it on Youtube and just started watching it, it seems very well made and I'm liking it a lot! (Tho I'd say... Wangji's actor is too much of a pretty boy, he should look more strong and manly!!!)

This, I think, is a good example of how gay stories are not only quite common in Chinese media but also hugely popular—and widely acclaimed!

I also love Mo Dao Zu Shi. ♡ It's a rather short webnovel (about 100 chapters) so it doesn't take too long to read, I recommend it! And if you liked it then you can move to the manga, anime, etc.

Keep in mind if you look for it that for some reason the translators can't make up their minds on the English title, I've seen it as "The founder of diabolism" and "The grandmaster of demonic cultivation" and even "The untamed" which is like wtf but oh well.

If you aren't into yaoi and would rather read something yuri, then there's Jing Wei Qing Shang or "Clear and muddy loss of love" (about 300 chapters) which everyone's been raving about lately. The plot mixes yuri romance and court politics in a Chinese-like empire, and the author herself provides these descriptors: revenge tale, mutual first and only love, slow burn, palace intrigue, emotional and physical angst, fabricated history (please don’t test for accuracy), happy ending. Oops I think the author just spoiled the ending to her readers, lol.

Maxresdefault2
joined Jan 31, 2018

Interesting premise, if it goes well this could be really fun so I'll give it a chance even though I was not going to, because the world of superstars can get pretty tiring. Pretty annoying to, yet again, find misinformed, red-scare, borderline-Sinophobic (if not Sinophobic) posts yet again, but best to ignore.

This will surely not go a mom-daughter route, hopefully, and it'll be really cool if both of them got girlfriends by the end of it plus bonding.

Maxresdefault2
joined Jan 31, 2018

I also love Mo Dao Zu Shi. ♡ It's a rather short webnovel (about 100 chapters) so it doesn't take too long to read, I recommend it! And if you liked it then you can move to the manga, anime, etc.

Keep in mind if you look for it that for some reason the translators can't make up their minds on the English title, I've seen it as "The founder of diabolism" and "The grandmaster of demonic cultivation" and even "The untamed" which is like wtf but oh well.

If you aren't into yaoi and would rather read something yuri, then there's Jing Wei Qing Shang or "Clear and muddy loss of love" (about 300 chapters) which everyone's been raving about lately. The plot mixes yuri romance and court politics in a Chinese-like empire, and the author herself provides these descriptors: revenge tale, mutual first and only love, slow burn, palace intrigue, emotional and physical angst, fabricated history (please don’t test for accuracy), happy ending. Oops I think the author just spoiled the ending to her readers, lol.

I want to get into JWQS, but man, it does seems really long huh. How are you liking it?

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

I want to get into JWQS, but man, it does seems really long huh. How are you liking it?

I'm a sucker for stories where the avenger of his/her family falls for the daughter of the enemy family so of course I'm loving it! ♡

last edited at Jan 18, 2022 8:40PM

joined Feb 16, 2020

Damn i was so excited because I've been reading baihe novels this past year because of the pandemic and my favorite premise is about entertainment industry, its a bummer that this only has 3 chapters (´;ω;`)

this is making me want to help the release of these manhuas lmfao

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

I'm a sucker for stories where the avenger of his/her family falls for the daughter of the enemy family so of course I'm loving it! ♡

I like this trope. Enemies to lovers. JWQS is soooo gooood. It is very lengthy but I can’t stop reading it and wanted more.

I read The Female General and the Eldest Princess first. Fell in love with the author’s works. I read all her translated works but sadly the others are not completely translated.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Oops I think the author just spoiled the ending to her readers, lol.

That's the same author who wrote the Female General and Eldest Princess, right? She also did it there (in an author's note or something, idk if she also had it in the description). Honestly, it annoyed me a bit. I get that some people would have liked to know in order to avoid stories with bad endings, but it kinda killed the suspense.

I bet she's the type of person who reads the ending of a book before the beginning lol

last edited at Jan 19, 2022 3:13PM

Maxresdefault2
joined Jan 31, 2018

So Chapter 3 is a story for when she was 6 years old? I'm a bit confused.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I can relate to this kid.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

GOD I Want to see that demonness movie too!! hahaha
Wow everyone here is so damn pretty!

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

love that the mom's friend is just "uh oh" :)
just immediately realises how this looks and thinks it's very funny

200069l%20(1)%20(1)
joined Dec 25, 2015

She's never going to clear up this misunderstanding.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Calling it now, the mom and friend are gonna fake date to appease little kiddo and then fall in love for real.

God I love this series its so funny and cute

To reply you must either login or sign up.