Forum › A Dream of Spring on a Tatami Mat discussion

joined Oct 25, 2010

What a sad yet powerful story that still feels like hope is possible!

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

spicy and dramatic , I actually liked the feelings in it but a bit dangerouus there

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

oof, pretty shitty situation to be in both for each person individually and for them as two people together because boy howdy, that's a pretty fucked up relationship it was creating

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

F

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Now that's depressing. Although I wouldn't mind "following" Hina to see just how she'd develop. It's that morbid curiosity.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Houzuki-sama reminds me of Saint-Juste-sama from Oniisama e.

joined Dec 17, 2021

Reminded me a bit of Uptown Girls. It's always nice when the loli is the aggresive one.

Also, I can't help but feel that the goodbye note was Houzuki being a bit petty *See? I'm not a child. I know latin!" But it works with the somewhat hopeful ending the author was going for.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

You know, this was actually very interesting. Almost skipped it because of the lolicon tag, glad I didn't. Hina reminded me of the protagonist of Aku no Hana, especially the part where she realised that she wasn't actually all that special or different from the rest. I liked how Houzuki was just a scumbag pretending to be all "cool and mysterious". Up until the very end (where I assume she's going back to college or work), she couldn't completely abandon that high-and-mighty attitude, could she? She was totally "being a bit petty" with that pretentious goodbye letter.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Sad, but still hopeful.

Spend%20(1)%20(1)
joined May 10, 2021

Timeskip sequel please.. sob

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Until they meet again.

Or until one of them accidently summons a demon when speaking Latin.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Also, I can't help but feel that the goodbye note was Houzuki being a bit petty *See? I'm not a child. I know latin!" But it works with the somewhat hopeful ending the author was going for.

That or more of her pretentious self trying to impress Hina

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I think she's mostly an edgy book nerd haha

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I think she's mostly an edgy book nerd haha

Yeah, she struck me as more of an Oscar Wilde-type of tryhard. Or like she was trying to be pretentious and obviously failing at it. I say this with no disrespect to them, but she reminds me quite a bit of the theater kids I knew back in high school and college interested in filling a persona

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 12:00AM

I%20(1)
joined Oct 9, 2021

;-;

joined May 1, 2015

Edgy girl will come back to rescue Hina.
She went back to college to become a "proper adult" and once she gets a job she will come back.
That is my head cannon.
If lucky science babies in the future.

Screenshot_726
joined Dec 2, 2017

Oof, I like this kinda depressing stories but it let me wanting for more. Maybe a sequel for them to finally be together idk. Still cute (For a moment I thinked it was Itou)

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

I’m kinda confused about why Houzuki even did all of in the first place… I’m not sure how she met Hina either, but I guess we’re not really supposed to know that. Anyway, it doesn’t seem like Houzuki’s getting any money from Hina or anything, so is she just so lonely she tricked some random little kid into falling in love with her or did I miss something here?

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 1:32AM

Download_20181110_194445-1-1
joined Feb 12, 2016

I feel like this one has some hope. I enjoyed

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

No staff members were harmed during the translation of this one-shot, except for benderboy, obviously.

joined Sep 1, 2021

I'd like to point out that at the end they're wearing inverted colours.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_dream_of_spring_on_a_tatami_mat#31

This has been my contribution to this discussion.

Tumblr_cee5b652f60d90ff709454b0003785ca_6809dc36_400-min
joined Sep 4, 2021

Timeskip sequel please.. sob

not related to the manga at all and i dont even know if you'll see this but can i ask where is the character in your profile picture is from? it looks so familiar... thanks in advance T_T

NotYourDoorknob
Onehundredthousandyears
joined Mar 27, 2021

I’m kinda confused about why Houzuki even did all of in the first place… I’m not sure how she met Hina either, but I guess we’re not really supposed to know that. Anyway, it doesn’t seem like Houzuki’s getting any money from Hina or anything, so is she just so lonely she tricked some random little kid into falling in love with her or did I miss something here?

Houzuki seems to be of wealthy lineage, which I get from the mention of 'her dad's company' on page 10/148, so she might get her money from her parents. And also, Houzuki seems to drown out her sorrows in alcohol as well as the company of a young girl. It's like that feeling of being 'cool' to someone when in reality you're not actually as sorted-out as you present yourself to be.

That's why she starts to break down a little bit when Hina comes back later and reveals that she knows what kind of person Houzuki is now; not the cool mysterious adult she presented herself as, but rather a scared and lonely person running away from her problems.

This leads to the ending where, now that her sole disciple, Hina, has seen through the illusion, she sucks up and accepts the fact that her only path to a better life is going back home and trying again with her life. Also, I think the 'make her fall in love' part was a side effect considering how aware Houzuki was of how groomer-ish their relationship looks on an objective level. She even looks scared on page 29/167 after they kiss, which to me reads as an expression of 'if anyone knew about this my life is over'.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 8:37AM

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

When a story is so strong, it harms the translator team.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

This leads to the ending where, now that her sole disciple, Hina, has seen through the illusion, she sucks up and accepts the fact that her only path to a better life is going back home and trying again with her life. Also, I think the 'make her fall in love' part was a side effect considering how aware Houzuki was of how groomer-ish their relationship looks on an objective level. She even looks scared on page 29/167 after they kiss, which to me reads as an expression of 'if anyone knew about this my life is over'.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

Something else to add, if we want to look at the "half-full" side of things. Is this low point what makes Houzuki go and fix herself up, possibly to give Hina a proper role model (posible partner) to look up to, of course we don't know how long that would take, let alone if they would ever meet again.

But at least, is not that somber of an ending for such a realistic one-shot.

To reply you must either login or sign up.