Forum › FAQ, Help, & Suggestions

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

bubuu posted:

Not sure if site performance is being negatively affected by random chaoter section, but if not, Id like the site to keep it. I did stumble upon some good stuff through this feature, and Im sure this is the only way some unknown stuff gets the spotlight at all.

Unfortunately every element on the front page has a significant negative impact on performance given that it fields such a high volume of requests. I'm hopeful we can bring back the random chapter section in another form in the near future.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Talking about the upload request page, would it be possible to make the title not be mandatory?
I understand it for series suggestions, but I don't always know what to use when I'm just suggesting images.

last edited at Jan 24, 2022 2:51PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Site Update

You may have noticed a wide variety of changes to the site's layout, including but not limited to: the removal of the random chapter section on the front page, the addition of a Pairings tab to doujinshi pages, a complete reformatting of directory pages at large, and probably a lot more.

While I understand that not all changes are positive for browsing, these are a cumulative beginning effort to improve site performance. Any and all feedback on the changes is welcome! Thanks.

Important Edit!

The tag suggestions feature has had a slight adjustment. Users may now insert notesregarding their suggestion for us to see. Any possibly helpful notes are welcome. The rarely used Series Description and Author Description tabs have been deprecated in favour of this - you may still use this section for any pertinent series or author notes! We'll implement and/or respond to them just the same as always.

Oof, those sure made it less convenient to browse the pairings. The obligatory addition of the pairings tab to dj's pages is great though. Looking forward to the rest of the improvements.

last edited at Jan 24, 2022 3:33PM

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Here's a tag I'm surprised hasn't been suggested yet. Hentai. I know there's already an NSFW tag, but I don't think it's indicative enough for things like the works of John K. Peta.

joined Aug 16, 2014

Here's a tag I'm surprised hasn't been suggested yet. Hentai. I know there's already an NSFW tag, but I don't think it's indicative enough for things like the works of John K. Peta.

Combined with What the fuck am I reading?, it's indicative enough imo.

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Okay, I just realized there's a Hardcore tag, but there's still some relatively lighter stuff that might warrant the distinction of being hentai.

joined Aug 16, 2014

Okay, I just realized there's a Hardcore tag, but there's still some relatively lighter stuff that might warrant the distinction of being hentai.

I think Lots of sex and Insane amounts of sex should already get those covered too.

Azure0285Reader
joined Jan 31, 2021

Does someone knows how to search a specific topic/tag/message in a forum without searching message one by one?
Exemple: I want to search "touhou" in a forum and filter all messages that have this topic
How do I do that?

Azure0285Reader
joined Jan 31, 2021

You seem to have gotten the wrong thread. This thread is in regards to the site itself.

I'm really sorry about this. I don't know where to place this message and have answers. I'm new to this forum, I may have misplaced this one. I shall delete this message and place in another part of the forum.

joined Aug 16, 2014

Does someone knows how to search a specific topic/tag/message in a forum without searching message one by one?
Exemple: I want to search "touhou" in a forum and filter all messages that have this topic
How do I do that?

Forum searchs aren't possible at the moment. The best you can do is adding "site:dynasty-scans.com/forum" to a Google search.

last edited at Jan 24, 2022 6:31PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Yeah, the directories being split into pages does make things awkward to browse, namely because it's pot luck as far as to which page the entry you want is on. If there's a way to add buttons to skip to specific letter groups, that might make things a bit more user friendly. That, and the way the lists are ordered alphabetically (ie. ⬇↗⬇↗⬇↗) is a little disorienting imo.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, the directories being split into pages does make things awkward to browse, namely because it's pot luck as far as to which page the entry you want is on. If there's a way to add buttons to skip to specific letter groups, that might make things a bit more user friendly. That, and the way the lists are ordered alphabetically (ie. ⬇↗⬇↗⬇↗) is a little disorienting imo.

While I appreciate the efforts and needs, I have to agree with this. I'd rather have a link for each letter than have 85 pages where it's not even possible to tell which page we want, much less any way to navigate there directly.

For the "Authors" directory, I'm sure many of them are only associated with the Image gallery and don't have actual stories on the site. It might be worth splitting the list into Authors and Artists (although some would end up in both lists). I also clicked on a couple that didn't have any site content associated; not sure what to make of those.

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

I'll just echo what the others have said and mention that directories are pretty stinky, but just having buttons for the letters would go a long way to rectify it. That being said, my use case of directories was always to just open the "main" page and control f for a partial search, which doesn't work anymore and that wouldn't solve it either, but I suppose some sacrifices have to be made.

Also while clicking randomly I found this case where it seems to not be alphabetically ordered.

https://files.catbox.moe/2c22rq.png

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Talking about the upload request page, would it be possible to make the title not be mandatory?
I understand it for series suggestions, but I don't always know what to use when I'm just suggesting images.

Whenever I suggest images, I usually just put the pairing tag name as the title, ie "Ganyu x Keqing picture", which works fine. If it's an artist's OC's I just put "Original yuri picture". The title doesn't have to be anything specific really, as long as it lets the uploader (or whoever sees the requests) know what you're requesting.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Whenever I suggest images, I usually just put the pairing tag name as the title, ie "Ganyu x Keqing picture", which works fine. If it's an artist's OC's I just put "Original yuri picture". The title doesn't have to be anything specific really, as long as it lets the uploader (or whoever sees the requests) know what you're requesting.

Essentially this. You put in the name of the franchise and the pairing (Genshin Impact, Ganyu/Keqing), it helps the staffer in charge of the image section to easily and more speedily sift through the requests.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I get a bit confused when it's multiple ships lol

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Essentially this. You put in the name of the franchise and the pairing (Genshin Impact, Ganyu/Keqing), it helps the staffer in charge of the image section to easily and more speedily sift through the requests.

I've usually just used the actual title of the pixiv post, but this sounds like a much better idea.

A8579f88-3796-4c80-9233-af508afff917
joined Jul 27, 2019

There seems to be an issue with the directory where the first item(s) of a section is/are also the last item(s) of the section before it. For example, author a+1 is listed twice, once under # and once under A. This can also be seen with Anthologies, Doujins, Series, Scanlators, and Tags.

Edit: This happens on Safari on iOS 15.2, but doesn't happen on Firefox (96.0, desktop). May investigate further.

last edited at Jan 29, 2022 10:33AM

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

I'm definitely not a fan of the new directories, because I have a long to read list and like to pick randomly from it. I guess I might have to manually make my own to keep doing that.

joined Jan 16, 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure this the good place to post that but i don't know where i could post it. Remove it if this not allowed.

I have a strange bug and i was wondering what i could do to fix it or if i was the only one with this problem.

In my "to Read" list i have some chapter but whenever i click on it this say "No chapters have been added to this list." and i don't know how to remove that. If i add something in my to read list this still work normally but i can't see the other chapters...

i don't know if this help but i don't have any blacklisted tag and i have the same problems in every devices i use.

I would show the screenshot but i don't know how to show them without being flagged as a spam link and i try to look around in the forum to see how to put image but im not even sure this allowed regardless. This the first time im really using the forum.

last edited at Jan 29, 2022 11:27PM

joined Jan 31, 2021

Good Day
I have a suggestion about "Lists" and how chapters are organized.
Could the chapters saved on lists be organized alphabetical from A to Z in this order? This would turn life easier to find chapters

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Tag suggestion: Science (or, for Girl Genius fans: SCIENCE!)

This would cover stories where characters are engaged in scientific research, inventing, or engineering.

Example stories:

Stardust Telepath for rocketry
Afterschool Girl for chemistry
Linkage for robotics

F1f9580760e2f010c7d05e82a45c2fa9fa60836f7c2cbd4dff4ad54834c9eeab-min
joined Aug 26, 2020

I'm definitely not a fan of the new directories, because I have a long to read list and like to pick randomly from it. I guess I might have to manually make my own to keep doing that.

I second this. Would it be possible for the new directory setup to not affect user lists? Or to have the option to toggle it? I know the new changes are only a partial implementation of a larger vision to improve site performance, but I hope usability is not sacrificed to achieve this. While it may have improved performance, I find the site in its current state to be far less friendly to navigate.

last edited at Jan 31, 2022 12:34AM

Zigv3uyqlg0hih2ixcp8saivs99g-ehejzp51vcc89w
joined Feb 8, 2018

To start - I have absolutely no clue about what tech stack do you use at dynasty, or what infrastructure you have. I also believe you already tried it, but maybe for some areas like pairings, authors, where content is not changing very frequently, maybe you could just cache those requests? (assuming they're mostly GET - that wouldn't be very tricky I think)

For example, authors are chached and entry is invalidated every 24h or something, or by your action when you update the list (e.g. add new author). That way you could probably keep old UI and also reduce amount of stress you put on your data store (I imagine getting all this stuff in single request hurts performance a lot).

Also do not take this^ as me trying to tell you what's better, I'm just open to talk about any design/implementation choices you face to help keeping my favorite place in the internet up and running :)

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Replies From January 24th-present

All comments on the database are noted. That's all I have to say for now. Other specific replies are below.

Tags

Mr. Zilla posted:

Hmm I do think there's some space for a wider usage of the Hardcore tag and perhaps an accompaniment, but I'm not too sure about the Hentai distinction. To the best of our abilities, we do try to stay away from value judgements where possible. This probably warrants some more discussion, though.

MZH posted:

Tag suggestion: Science (or, for Girl Genius fans: SCIENCE!)

Considered!

Bugs

pseudosmug posted:

There seems to be an issue with the directory where the first item(s) of a section is/are also the last item(s) of the section before it. For example, author a+1 is listed twice, once under # and once under A. This can also be seen with Anthologies, Doujins, Series, Scanlators, and Tags.

Edit: This happens on Safari on iOS 15.2, but doesn't happen on Firefox (96.0, desktop). May investigate further.

I was unable to replicate this at all over the course of a few days. If you find anything else, please let me know.

majorawake posted:

Hi,

I'm not sure this the good place to post that but i don't know where i could post it. Remove it if this not allowed.

I have a strange bug and i was wondering what i could do to fix it or if i was the only one with this problem.

In my "to Read" list i have some chapter but whenever i click on it this say "No chapters have been added to this list." and i don't know how to remove that. If i add something in my to read list this still work normally but i can't see the other chapters...

Hey, thanks a bunch for posting. This is definitely the right place! Hmm, I've had no luck on my end seeing this problem as well. You should be clear of the spam filter now, so if you see this please pop back in and share screenshots of what you're seeing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.