Forum › School Zone discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

Okay, I don't know if this was already discussed at one point but I really have gut-feeling that Kaname and Yatsude know each other/were a thing at some point in the past.
CHapter 39: Kaname made a 180° turn + her expression after the older twin showed what club shes talking about. Pretty sus.
Chapter 77: Yatsude being all mysterious about know a similar situation like our main pair.
Chaper 82: Kaname talks about her preferences. Someone who looks stern and angry alot. Yatsude open-eye expression is the perfect example of this.

Sure was. Basically immediately when each of those chapters came out as the dots to connect are fairly conspicuous.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

All that and we still dont know what Hiragis problem is

...the general gist of it really should be fairly obvious by this point. But I'd say the lower right frame here encapsulates an important part of it.

A broken feeling of superiority over her sister is unlikely to be the whole story

"The one who's not Tsubaki" is the key phrase there.

Even at that point she is being treated Better than Tsubaki was when she wasnt performing

Tsubaki was "the sister"
Hiragii later was "the still very smart sister"

And if Hiragii hates Tsubaki for not being her inferior then thats just makes her Terrible, which isnt something that would fit this story

joined Jul 26, 2016

Even at that point she is being treated Better than Tsubaki was when she wasnt performing

Tsubaki was "the sister"

And if Hiragii hates Tsubaki for not being her inferior then thats just makes her Terrible, which isnt something that would fit this story

I'm getting a distinct impression we have not been reading the same chapters.

joined Jan 3, 2020

All that and we still dont know what Hiragis problem is

...the general gist of it really should be fairly obvious by this point. But I'd say the lower right frame here encapsulates an important part of it.

A broken feeling of superiority over her sister is unlikely to be the whole story

"The one who's not Tsubaki" is the key phrase there.

Tsubaki was "the sister"

It is probably something really dumb in order to redeem her character. Like... Hiragii lost her purpose in life when Tsubaki wasn't as dependent on her anymore and now she hates herself for being inferior and bringing Tsubaki down, so she decides to leave Tsubaki's side for her own good so that Tsubaki isn't associated with such a failure or something.

That's the sort of tortured rationale you need in a manga to appear as though you are a bad person.

joined May 23, 2017

If this chapter has the angst tag I hope chapter 49 has it too

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

I'm gonna be honest, Hiiragi didn't really do anything wrong, it would have all gone to shit even if she had told her to back off considering Tsubaki was completely obssesed with her. It's one of those situations where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I'm gonna be honest, Hiiragi didn't really do anything wrong, it would have all gone to shit even if she had told her to back off considering Tsubaki was completely obssesed with her. It's one of those situations where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't

Giving a reason for your sudden drastic change in relationship is the Least you can do, But the one thing we know about Hiragii is that She isnt sociable so...

joined Jul 26, 2016

Giving a reason for your sudden drastic change in relationship is the Least you can do, But the one thing we know about Hiragii is that She isnt sociable so...

It's bit of a plot point in the twins' larger character arc that their insular co-dependence growing up has left both with badly underdeveloped social skills, though in contrasting ways that play on their wider Sibling Yin-Yang themes.

Tsubaki is shy, timid and can just about go into panic attacks around strangers - but once the initial ice is broken actually very sociable and open, and seems to find it naturally easy to establish meaningful relationships with others. She's also something of a fascinated observer of people though normally too shy and timid to ask personal questions; she was positively rapturous when she had an explicit permission to do so during the sleepover with the gyaru pair.

Contrariwise, Hiiragi is willful and outspoken but also extremely reticient and "closed off" - by her own agonized admission she doesn't have the slightest idea what a friend even is never mind now how you'd go about making one. (Utsugi definitely had to do all the heavy lifting there, and Akutami-sensei still had to spell it out to her...) Compare how Tsubaki could lay out the whole mess to Yatsude literally on their first meeting while it took Hiiragi months of familiarity and hitting critical mass rock-bottom self-loathing depression to unburden herself at Akutami who was basically the closest thing she had to a confidant at the time. And even after she got the worst of her personal demons exorcised and accepted Utsugi's overtures for what they are she, tellingly, appears to have a very consistent "don't ask, don't tell" approach to personal matters much to the shorter girl's frustration - not that Utsugi herself was exactly volunteering such details mind you. (It's been rather implied the Manic Pixie Dream Girl has her own baggage.) One rather gets the impression Hiiragi just baseline isn't interested in other peoples' business - though she's an astute observer when she has a reason to pay attention, something of a shared trait of the twins - and accepts them, or doesn't, as-is.

'Course it hardly helps matters that by all indications by the end of middle school Hiiragi was basically a bitter, depressed, self-loathing wreck who just desperately needed to get away from her sister one way or another. Niceties were far and away the very last thing on her mind, all the more so as given she was just as co-dependent forcing the very much necessary break oughta been about the emotional equivalent of gnawing off a trapped limb if you pardon the gruesome analog. Note how for all the carefully studied poker face she's in her Dull Eyes of Anguish mode through that entire scene.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It wasn't actually all that "sudden and drastic change" by the by. If you look at the narration it's clear Hiiragi's behaviour and attitude were changing quite noticeably over time, growing increasingly distant and irritable in ways that scream trouble.

Tsubaki just failed - or unconsciously refused - to pick up on that because for all her astuteness she has a MASSIVE blind spot when it comes to her sister, something she's these days aware of on the intellectual-analytic level. Doesn't really translate into the emotional-intuitive level or behaviour though, which is the proximate cause of most of their fights in the narrative present.

My theory is a lot of that is wound up in that bizarre self-depreciating hero-worship thing she still has going (and which triggers ALL of her twin's issues like nothing else). In a pretty real sense when she looks at Hiiragi she isn't seeing her actual flesh-and-blood sibling but the idealized fantasy that's on a pedestal inside her head and this dissonance is a major factor in a lot of the trouble between them.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

it is just talking nonsense

It's not. Go match up the Unicode and Shift-JIS representations of the characters in the original text and you'll find out what it says. If anything, the way I made my text corruption is way easier to decipher especially since I pasted the whole text up there.

So are we allowed to just ask what this means yet? I have no idea what you are even talking about. I literally spent an hour trying to do whatever it is you're telling us to do and I got

Ebllcspsaetll!aIsplspv°'emesp!Ebllcspsaetll~a

So can you please grace us with the meaning of this sentence?

Ezisrudvkaylvds
joined Jan 19, 2021

For those who didn't manage to convert yokoe's gibberish from ch88p11 she says "Bell Castella! I love'em! Bell Castella~"

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Any chance of a translation of the new relationship chart or is that only for people who purchase volume 4?

Far out this chapter gave me post manga depression and its not even finished lol.

joined Sep 30, 2018

just noticed: shouldn't chapter 59 have a "pocky game" tag? she's stealthy, but from page 71 through page 74, kaname seems to be playing (toying?) with piyoko.

joined Jul 26, 2016

she's stealthy, but from page 71 through page 74, kaname seems to be playing (toying?) with piyoko.

...not sure what's supposed to be "stealthy" about Kana's regular flagrant yanking of Piyo's chain. It's front and center enough that Tsubaki called her out on it, a conversation that tells us that A) Kana is a hueg troll in case there was any doubt about it before B) the elder Hinase really needs to develop a bullshit detector one of these days.

joined Mar 31, 2017

Any chance of a translation of the new relationship chart or is that only for people who purchase volume 4?

No, it's free for everyone. This'll be part of the eventual next extras compilation.

joined Jul 26, 2016

pet

sounds about right lmao

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

No, it's free for everyone. This'll be part of the eventual next extras compilation.

It amuses me that Tsubaki is the one with the most links

And I also like that Piyo's arrow towards Tsubaki is "red", I'll take what I can get for this ship

last edited at Dec 23, 2021 3:42PM

joined Apr 4, 2014

Yo thanks Mycro. Yea Tsubaki has a lot of connections but Utsugis one is purple O_O. Also found it funny that Fujis one towards Yatsude is reverence. She is just too pure for this world lol don't revere someone that gropes and spanks your ass Fuji!

joined Jul 26, 2016

Also found it funny that Fujis one towards Yatsude is reverence. She is just too pure for this world lol don't revere someone that gropes and spanks your ass Fuji!

Even Tsubaki realizes senpai might be kinda like that lel (bonus points for Piyo's amazingly tsundere rant with a side order of Montypythonesque non sequitur about hamsters btw)

But, y'know. This does sound just like Fuji.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

interesting that Yatsude and Kaname who have not interacted onscreen at all have a connection even if it is a mystery ??? on both sides

joined Jul 26, 2016

(https://i.imgur.com/Ms1Y4o7.png)

interesting that Yatsude and Kaname who have not interacted onscreen at all have a connection even if it is a mystery ??? on both sides

See top of the page. Kaname's said a fair bit of stuff that makes it clear to the attentive reader she has some sort of as-yet undisclosed past with the demon AzukiaraiYatsude - and seems to be actively trying to avoid crossing paths with her for that matter.

Considering the nature of the series it's no doubt something weird and very gay. :P

last edited at Dec 25, 2021 7:32PM

Pat%20dixon3
joined Nov 6, 2021

I would stab someone for a Fuji Matsuri and Kishiya spin off series about now

joined Apr 4, 2014

(https://i.imgur.com/Ms1Y4o7.png)

See top of the page. Kaname's said a fair bit of stuff that makes it clear to the attentive reader she has some sort of as-yet undisclosed past with the demon AzukiaraiYatsude - and seems to be actively trying to avoid crossing paths with her for that matter.

Considering the nature of the series it's no doubt something weird and very gay. :P

Yea their connection is hinted quite a bit but im not sure about the very gay part. I Also wonder about the other ??? Relationship between Akutami and Utsugi. I don't think there's any need for side stories because it's all incorporated in the main story so well, maybe Akutami's younger days or seirin academy?

I wonder if the Kendo story would impact School Zone.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Yea their connection is hinted quite a bit but im not sure about the very gay part.

Kaname basically described Yatsude when asked for her "type". And it's not exactly subtle that Yatsude, who has on several occasions implied she has prior experience with relationships and breakups, is into girls...

Sounds like prity ghey implications to me owo

I Also wonder about the other ??? Relationship between Akutami and Utsugi. I don't think there's any need for side stories because it's all incorporated in the main story so well, maybe Akutami's younger days or seirin academy?

More like she recognized Utsugi from the student files and seems to be generally concerned about the kid. Which considering Akutami is the school nurse likely implies she's been briefed Utsugi is someone who may need keeping an eye on in general due to as-yet unspecified issues (that mugshot certainly didn't look like a very happy child...). All the more so as she's now hooked up with the volatile and rather obviously troubled Hiiragi.

joined Sep 16, 2017

Didn't Utsugi's character profile somewhere list her as having low stamina? Maybe she has a health condition?
Anyway, just binged this series over the last few days after watching a YT video about it. Everyone's so aggresively fucking stupid and I would protect them with my life.

To reply you must either login or sign up.