Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I actually expected her to ask for advice on confessing at first when I saw her there.

From my reading, I suspect it's much more likely that Manager-chan will do the confessing. Mai seemed pretty oblivious to Manager-chan's unrequited feelings when Mai rejoined the basketball club.

True enough, although on the other hand, we don't really know how things have progressed since the last time we saw them.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

The only line is the next one to cross!

Sheenah_the_Dino
Hetero%20vibes
joined Sep 25, 2021

Oh my god
Finally
Someone they can be open with and rest easy with
Hopefully the rest of their friends can follow behind, but for now it's an amazing and wonderful start
Baby steps, one at a time

Yeah it definitely feels like the moment they will tell their friends is getting closer. Chidori already misspoke around their friends before, and now that they are able to act lovey-dovey around someone else, I suspect it will happen more often.
Then again, since it's been dragged out for this long, and the end of their school time together is drawing nearer, I suspect they will wait to tell their friends around graduation, and then the manga will most likely end (though I hope it might continue after that like with Asagao to Kase-san).

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

I can't believe I missed this. That brief moment where Nanoha got unleashed. Mai being there is the only thing stopping her.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I can't believe I missed this. That brief moment where Nanoha got unleashed. Mai being there is the only thing stopping her.

Quite true, but don’t sell our “Still Waters Run Deep” Chidori short, either—she walked around the cultural festival as a boiling pot of sapphic lust after crouching up against Nanoha for hours while they hid in the haunted house.

I don’t expect this series to ever go full-on NSFW—but a person can dream, can’t they?

Sheenah_the_Dino
Hetero%20vibes
joined Sep 25, 2021

she walked around the cultural festival as a boiling pot of sapphic lust

Bless you for this visual, I can't stop laughing

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

she walked around the cultural festival as a boiling pot of sapphic lust

Bless you for this visual, I can't stop laughing

Same

Rsz_uzfg
joined May 24, 2014

Quite true, but don’t sell our “Still Waters Run Deep” Chidori short, either—she walked around the cultural festival as a boiling pot of sapphic lust after crouching up against Nanoha for hours while they hid in the haunted house.

I don’t expect this series to ever go full-on NSFW—but a person can dream, can’t they?

LOL I thought that about YagaKimi at first too but then they banged LOL

Kanistorshik_octavia_portrait_wallpaper
joined May 9, 2011

YAY! I really wanted Mai to reappear and now she has. Is it weird that I think Mai to be one of the best side characters? I really liked her arc as well.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Called it a week ago:

My headcanon: Mai and the manager are now an item.

It didn't exactly take the powers of Nostradamus, and they aren't actually an item yet, but where mutual doki-dokis are, there yuri is.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Gays and sports teams go together like chedder and broccoli

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And Chidori was an exemplary advice-giver: she didn’t give her opinion about what Mai was feeling or what she should do; she asked about how Mai felt and gave her a way to think about things.

Good sempai.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

So cute. Can we follow these two for the rest of their lives, Room for Two style?

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

This makes me feel so warm and fluffy that I have to take my sweater off lest I get heatstroke
I am rooting for her so hard, hopefully her dreams and aspirations are realized

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Just overflowing with happy feelings. ^_^

Also, called it! :D

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Awwww good for her ^_^ Falling in love really is amazing, although those first moments can be pretty nerve-racking as well :-P It's all part of the experience though ! Good on Chidori for giving legit good advice .

last edited at Nov 17, 2021 8:51AM

joined Sep 7, 2021

girl, you're gay

joined Feb 18, 2015

Just too flipping cute!

joined Mar 20, 2012

This chapter was so romantic, this manga just keeps getting better and better. I can't believe I didn't like it when it was just beginning.

So cute. Can we follow these two for the rest of their lives, Room for Two style?

I hope that it does continue like that, I want to see their relationship go on until they are grey and old together <3

6631e8220bec2737023f64d8a2b36b99
joined Jul 20, 2020

This is simply one of the BEST mangas of all time. I hope it gets an official English copy, because I would love to own this physically.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

About the current chapter: To be called by a name instead of a role is truly the sweetest Valentine's gift. Good for you manager Miyuki. I've figured that Mai-chan would go after her all the way back when Miyuki was introduced. It's good to see just how supportive Chidori is too, it's clear she wants the best for her and always did. I never saw this as a triangle, because NanoChido wanted her to be happy and would never waver. It's extremely wonderful.

Now... Reading all of this in one go is probably not how it's intended, but it gave me all kinds of emotions. The art is too amazingly expressive, the relationship is sweet as diabetes and every interaction is priceless. Honestly, what a brilliant manga.

But that doesnt mean it doesnt have issues. Above all that hiding the relationship never had a legitimate reason.If there was any reason at all, it would at least be good if either of them finally talked about the how and why. From the very start Chidori just said "We have to keep it secret" and that was it. There was not even a single reason given. She continues to be paranoid of PDA even in places with only strangers and reduced their closeness to a standard below their original friendship pre-confession. At the very beginning I was kinda on board due to Chidori still suffering from her ex-crush's "We're both girls" PTSD, but that was exorcized alongside said senpai's screen time. They have resolved themselves to be "more honest about their feelings" and to value their friends more, but they aren't even close to doing that. Fears and pessimism are one thing, but to keep this from their friends and constantly lie to them is no good. Not to mention how they constantly hurt their own relationship this way. To have to act like friends in romantic times, to even forcing Nanoha to pretend she has a secret "boyfriend"... this is a migraine that marrs a good thing.

Homophobia is clearly not an issue at this point and while having to limit their interactions outside of their friend circle is still annoying (teachers and parents may not be remotely as understanding of same-sex relationships after all), it would have helped during about 6 different outings by now if at least their immediate circle knew. The friends also would be more considerate of them if they didn't act like spazzes.
If the fear is that the friendship circle will be broken... they all were 100% supportive of glasses girl getting a boyfriend. They all constantly talk about wanting partners, this is clearly not an issue the friends concern themselves with, so it's unfair to act like Nanoha and Chidori would be a different case.
To be plain, people who would not accept their relationship are not real friends. And lying to friends is not what real friends do either. This plot point has run its course about 50 chapters ago. I get that it was a big draw and causes a lot of "heartpounding" situations, but it is cheap drama entirely unneeded with writing of this caliber.

What irks me is that they got several dozen opportunities for an epiphany moment to resolve this issue, like meeting Abe who is literally in the same boat, but exposed (and it clearly works) to the friends giving them about twenty seperate hints that they are open to anything. Not to mention Mai-chan who had every reason to be antagonistic being super supportive of their relationship.
If the anti-PDA angle has to be kept, I would much rather it was based on something like pure shyness (which does seem to factor in sometimes already). At the very least they could still plan with their friends based on mutual understanding if they are out.

last edited at Jan 7, 2022 4:43PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ I think it is pure shyness in-text, especially on Chidori's part, and simply the conceit (premise) of the story outside of the text, and you're making way too much of it.

I don't think it's that they don't trust their friends to accept them or are afraid of their reactions, but that they don't want to break up the dynamic of the group, as almost inevitably happens when two people in a group of friends pair off--they start acting differently and being treated differently.

As far as the art goes, I do agree that the facial expressions and body language in this manga are as good as I've ever seen--absolutely world-class.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

^ I think it is pure shyness in-text, especially on Chidori's part, and simply the conceit (premise) of the story outside of the text, and you're making way too much of it.

I don't think it's that they don't trust their friends to accept them or are afraid of their reactions, but that they don't want to break up the dynamic of the group, as almost inevitably happens when two people in a group of friends pair off--they start acting differently and being treated differently.

As far as the art goes, I do agree that the facial expressions and body language in this manga are as good as I've ever seen--absolutely world-class.

No offense Blastaar, but can you actually base this interpretation on anything said or expressed by the characters themselves? Because I can't. Ironically this feels a bit like your usual conundrum of "People filling in plot points for the author". I can logically understand that such worries could exist, but neither Chidori nor Nanoha have ever given a hint that their fear lies in ruining the group's dynamic. All they've been doing all manga is be annoyed that they have to hide it and tried to find excuses to ditch their friends for alone time, with the only conclusion being "Yeah being with friends can also be fulfilling in its own way (even if I really want to make out with my girlfriend instead)".

While shyness is certainly a factor as these two blush over the slightest thing even when alone, Nanoha has always been pushing the boundaries and Chidori has given zero reason for why she is so adamant about it outside her initial fear of being rejected by other people for being different. Or to put it differently... if either of them had a boyfriend, do you really think they would act this secretive about it? I don't think so. This is definitely not about shyness alone, but because it is them.
The manga started on a premise that existed for forced drama/thrill, but has failed to actually back it up... and eventually it just became the accepted status quo. All I ask for is that characters have clear motivations for actions, something this manga generally excells at in every other regard.

On a more positive note, I absolutely adore the consistency of their matching bracelets. I've been paying close attention to it and Nanoha has basically never taken it off for even a single chapter. She wears it when she showers, during sports, in her alone time, everywhere. Chidori's is far less consistent, because she wears it on her ankle and the bulge is not visible under her sock in a lot of chapters. But it does occasionally appear anyway, like during the beach chapters where she wore several ankle bracelets in the shower (a subtle detail showing how she hid they are matching with just visuals, brilliant). And of course in the recent New Years chapter she is wearing it after coming out of the baths... though on the left leg for some reason.

It's this effort that separates the manga from a lot of others.

last edited at Jan 7, 2022 11:29PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

No offense Blastaar, but can you actually base this interpretation on anything said or expressed by the characters themselves? Because I can't. Ironically this feels a bit like your usual conundrum of "People filling in plot points for the author". I can logically understand that such worries could exist, but neither Chidori nor Nanoha have ever given a hint that their fear lies in ruining the group's dynamic.

That’s fair enough, but all we have to do is connect the initial confession scene with their later conversation with Abe-chan to infer their basic reasons for keeping their relationship secret:

When the other girls heard that Abe-chan had confessed to Yoshida-sempai, their first reaction was, “Let’s all go over there and tease her!” And that scene is literally repeated when Nonoha and Chidori reveal that they know about Abe-chan’s relationship on the Tokyo trip, and she says, “Of course! Those damn rumours!”, indicating that the two of them have also been keeping their relationship at least somewhat quiet.

So avoiding “teasing” by their friends may not literally be about changing the group dynamic, it’s certainly reason enough for a private person like Chidori to want to keep things private from their immediate circle of friends.

And it’s a reasonable inference that Abe-chan’s remark about “rumours” relates to, at least, the generalized societal homophobia they would face if their relationship became known. Igarashi-senpai’s own internalized homophobia made that point clearly enough.

But I think the extra-textual element is by far the most significant one—the “they’re keeping their relationship a secret” premise may have worn out its welcome with some, perhaps many, readers, but, as is the case with many episodic slice-of-life romantic comedies where readers are anxious for game-changing “progress,” to remove it requires that the author turn this into a different series. Perhaps a plausible continuation of this one, but not the same one, and a change that I can understand why the author of a successful series would be hesitant to make.

last edited at Jan 8, 2022 1:00AM

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

That’s fair enough, but all we have to do is connect the initial confession scene with their later conversation with Abe-chan to infer their basic reasons for keeping their relationship secret:

When the other girls heard that Abe-chan had confessed to Yoshida-sempai, their first reaction was, “Let’s all go over there and tease her!” And that scene is literally repeated when Nonoha and Chidori reveal that they know about Abe-chan’s relationship on the Tokyo trip, and she says, “Of course! Those damn rumours!”, indicating that the two of them have also been keeping their relationship at least somewhat quiet.

So avoiding “teasing” by their friends may not literally be about changing the group dynamic, it’s certainly reason enough for a private person like Chidori to want to keep things private from their immediate circle of friends.

I also thought about that teasing line ever since it happened, because that was the moment they decided to keep quiet, but it feels... very lackluster. No amount of teasing from their friends could compare to the trials and pain they've accumulated for a ridiculous act like this. The reason it becomes less and less acceptable with time is that their friendship with the others has grown so strong that it is impossible to believe they would have averse reactions or overdo it with the teasing at this point (not to mention they were okay with Abe/Yoshida from the start).

What is important here is that I am not saying they should announce to the entire world they are a couple. Just to their immediate closest friends who can keep a secret if you reason with them. Abe and Yoshida most likely didn't put the writing on the wall, but they are obviously not hiding their relationship either. The fact that this spreads throughout the school as rumors is to be expected I suppose.

And it’s a reasonable inference that Abe-chan’s remark about “rumours” relates to, at least, the generalized societal homophobia they would face if their relationship became known. Igarashi-senpai’s own internalized homophobia made that point clearly enough.

Yes, homophobia in general is an issue and always will be, which is why I admitted they have to keep it a secret from teachers and family most likely. But the friends showed no sign of homophobia until now, so there is little weight behind that part, unless they don't trust them to keep quiet about it in front of strangers.

But I think the extra-textual element is by far the most significant one—the “they’re keeping their relationship a secret” premise may have worn out its welcome with some, perhaps many, readers, but, as is the case with many episodic slice-of-life romantic comedies where readers are anxious for game-changing “progress,” to remove it requires that the author turn this into a different series. Perhaps a plausible continuation of this one, but not the same one, and a change that I can understand why the author of a successful series would be hesitant to make.

Of course on a meta level it is clear why this worn out premise does not get put to rest, it's the same reason why it was used in the first place... drama/thrill. But I think the author is doing a disservice to their writing skills here. There have been several very strong character arcs and developments in this manga that were nearly completely disconnected from the secrecy aspect. And it's not like it has to be dropped entirely (again, family/teachers/other classmates still should not be aware of it, that is plenty for secrecy content). All I am asking for is the courage to change the status quo in a way that serves the story, not because I desperately need them to move to the next level of their relationship, but because I can't stand sloppily applied tropes in what I consider one of the best yuri manga I've read.

In the first place my patience for this dragged out idea would be so much higher with proper motivation and consideration . I am not asking for much there I think. NanoChido have exhaustively discussed so many aspects of their relationship, yet they haven't said one word about the most important thing that constantly dictactes their actions? It's hard to swallow.

last edited at Jan 8, 2022 1:42AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.