Forum › Yuri Manga Recommendations

so i want a series with the Moe up the butt tag with no yuri, no yaoi and no het, like K-ON or Nukoduke!.

i am not fine with any series that revolve around a couple nor somebody who has a crush on the same/opposite sex because like i said, no yuri, no yaoi, no het. well, hope you have a good day!

Urara Meirochou

ight il check this one out. thanks!

joined Sep 11, 2015

Any reccomendations for old yuri from like the 90s or just has that particular non moe artsyle?

joined Apr 17, 2018

Hello; I was directed here from a reply posted to a different forum I've initiated, as listed below:

I am currently seeking works-of-fiction (ie. anime, manga, video games) whose casts include a female character who's in a relationship with another female character. Whether they start out in a relationship or enter one down the line is irrelevant. The work in-question, however, should preferably be of a genre that's NOT predominantly Yuri, nor have what I know as the trope, a "Cast Full of Gay". Additionally, I'd prefer if said-casts had characters of BOTH genders.

Would anyone happen to know any manga that meets these qualifications?

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

any mangas like My Unrequited Love? i love dramas like that

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I'm not sure if you're looking for something that involves cohabitation, but Haru and Midori was nice. And the setting is similar to My Unrequited Love in the sense that it has both an age gap and cohabitation.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

I'm not sure if you're looking for something that involves cohabitation, but Haru and Midori was nice. And the setting is similar to My Unrequited Love in the sense that it has both an age gap and cohabitation.

Thanks! I'm so into angsty age gaps (≧◡≦)

so i want a series with the Moe up the butt tag with no yuri, no yaoi and no het, like K-ON or Nukoduke!.

i am not fine with any series that revolve around a couple nor somebody who has a crush on the same/opposite sex because like i said, no yuri, no yaoi, no het. well, hope you have a good day!

i should also add that i am fine with supernatural or fantasy stuff. i like those. but i'm particularly interested in tags like Cross-dressing or Maid, kinda of like Can a Guy Like Me Be a Maid?.

i'm actually pretty fine with things without the Moe up the butt honestly. i also enjoyed Urara Meirochou, so the last post i made on here was kinda oddly specific so i'm here to clear up things a little bit.

last edited at Sep 6, 2021 11:34PM by

Eripiyomybeloved
joined Jul 12, 2021

After I went through all 33 pages in this thread and read many of the recommendations, I need more

I've only read a moderate amount of manga so I'm also looking for anything else like anime, visual novel and even fanfiction. What I love is SFW pure and innocent stories, no sexual lust preferably. Some examples:
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/their_story
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/crescent_moon_and_doughnuts
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/accept_my_fist_of_love
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/adachi_and_shimamura
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/out_of_the_blue

I don't see anything wrong with NSFW but it's not for me, I just love some pure yuri to fill the void. Please throw everything you know at me, if you have a list or something to share I would be very happy

Bbg
joined Dec 19, 2014

After I went through all 33 pages in this thread and read many of the recommendations, I need more

I've only read a moderate amount of manga so I'm also looking for anything else like anime, visual novel and even fanfiction. What I love is SFW pure and innocent stories, no sexual lust preferably. Some examples:

I don't see anything wrong with NSFW but it's not for me, I just love some pure yuri to fill the void. Please throw everything you know at me, if you have a list or something to share I would be very happy

Bloom into You
Girl Friends
Soulmate (not on dynasty)
Hino-san no Baka (slightly NSFW, but still extremely cute)
Heart of the Woods (VN, there's an optional NSFW patch)
Melancholy Love (VN)
Perfect Gold (VN)
Kindred Spirits on the Roof (VN)
Today I'll Make You Confess
That Time I Was Blackmailed By the Class's Green Tea Bitch (quite wholesome despite the title)

You can also search for works without the NSFW tag.

Eripiyomybeloved
joined Jul 12, 2021

Bloom into You
Girl Friends
Soulmate (not on dynasty)
Hino-san no Baka (slightly NSFW, but still extremely cute)
Heart of the Woods (VN, there's an optional NSFW patch)
Melancholy Love (VN)
Perfect Gold (VN)
Kindred Spirits on the Roof (VN)
Today I'll Make You Confess
That Time I Was Blackmailed By the Class's Green Tea Bitch (quite wholesome despite the title)

You can also search for works without the NSFW tag.

Thanks, I'll check Soulmate and Today I'll Make You Confess as I've already read the others. I've never read a VN but I guess it's the next step as I don't have many manga or anime left, so thanks for the recommends

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

i've already tried Haru and Midori and i think i need more. whether it's age gap or not, i need more angsty and drama but not to the point as Depressing as fuck yuri

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

i've already tried Haru and Midori and i think i need more. whether it's age gap or not, i need more angsty and drama but not to the point as Depressing as fuck yuri

Run Away With Me, Girl?

I don't know if it will be to your taste, but it's definitely very angsty and (in my opinion) well-worth your time.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

Run Away With Me, Girl?

I don't know if it will be to your taste, but it's definitely very angsty and (in my opinion) well-worth your time.

once again, thank u. may the yuri goddess bless your soul.

joined Dec 14, 2019

hey y’all.. enemies to lovers oneshots / completed works? something ab the dynamic just >>>

joined Dec 14, 2019

any stuffs with love-making instead of just sex?
gentle pulse is a gold standard

finally someone who speaks my language,, wholesome nsfw is where it’s at !

anyway,,

all time fav original works:
my sugar cat
crochet rest + yellow drops (related works)

doujins:
xxx

& honestly? anything from takano saku

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I've got a bunch to say about VN's, but I should preface them by saying that I usually prefer ones with some amount of drama. If you want absolutely zero drama many of my recommendations probably aren't going to help. That said, from the examples you provided you should be fine with most of these.
I'm gonna provide links to things where I can and will try to list the places you can get them.

First off I'm going to start with a couple addendums to the previous list:

Kindred Spirits on the Roof does have some NSFW scenes, but I don't consider them particularly graphic. They're included in the story for actual reasons and are never placed there just for the sake of having horny stuff. Genitals are never explicitly shown but are, naturally, referred to in the text. The most explicit nudity you'll see is bare boobs and/or butts. As far as "pure" goes, this is about as pure as you'll get without outright ignoring the existence of sex. There may be trace amounts of handholding though.

Kindred Spirits on the Roof is available on Steam, GOG and Mangagamer

The devs of Heart of the Woods also made Highway Blossoms, which is SFW with a NSFW patch. The NSFW patch is completely optional and adds maybe 2 short scenes.

Highway Blossoms is available on Steam and GOG. Same goes for Heart of the Woods

Now for other VNs, in no particular order:

• Ebihime makes yuri visual novels, too many to talk about them individually, and I've only played a handful, but they all seemed fine.

• All of the titles in the Flowers series, available on Steam and J-List. These links go to the first in the series.

• Rising Angels: Hope and Rising Angels: Reborn

• Hope is all yuri iirc. Reborn has yuri or het but it's not hard to figure out which is which.
    • Chronologically they take place in that order (Hope, then Reborn) and a couple characters from Hope return in Reborn, but both titles are very standalone-friendly. I played Reborn first and liked it a lot more, also it's free. IIRC Hope is a remake of the first game in the series, and I feel like it really shows in both the writing and the art. I recommend skipping Hope, or maybe reading a synopsis or watching a lets play or something.
    • There's another game in the works that's a direct sequel to reborn but it sounds pretty ambitious so I'm not sure if it'll ever happen. I hope it does though!
    • Both Rising Angels: Hope and and Rising Angels: Reborn are available on Steam.
  • VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

• Not a "yuri VN" per se, but the main character is bi and you could say there's yuri in it. I mention it mostly because it's just excellent overall.
    • The music in this game is SO GODDAMN GOOD.
    • There's a sequel in the works called N1RV Ann-A whose release date has been pushed from 2020 to "when it's done" because of Reasons™.
    • Available on Steam and itch.io (Get the itch.io version though, it includes a key for the steam version and you get a bunch of other cool stuff as well.)
  • Juniper's Knot

• Again, not explicitly yuri, but it's like an hour long, free, and there's not NOT lesbians.
    • on steam and somewhere else where I first played it but I can't for the life of me remember where that was. It might have just been a list of VN's made in ren'py or something like that.
  • The Reject Demon: Toko Chapter 0

• Kind of silly and dumb but that's fine because it knows it's kind of silly and dumb. Also has a good soundtrack. Ends on a cliffhanger and supposedly there will eventually be more to the series but I'm not holding my breath.
    • It's on steam.

Now then, if you don't mind extra, extra drama:

• Analog: A Hate Story (you're given choices for gender, as far as I know they all play out the same way.)
  • Hate Plus (the sequel to Analog. Play Analog first as that one is self contained, and Hate Plus wouldn't be nearly as good without knowledge of the first game.)
    • These are both very dark at times, but I really can't recommend them highly enough.
    • Available on Steam.

Aaaand I've got recommendations for non-yuri VN's but you've already specified yuri so I'll leave those out unless you're dying to hear them.

As far as yuri mangoes go I've got a good number that you may or may not have read, most of which have been uploaded here.

Here's a list of authors I like:

• Neji does good work, my favorites including:
  • Tamamusi is another great author.
  • Takemiya Jin is a prolific author whose work I love but might be too dramatic for what you want. But still, they keep my adult yuri cravings fed.
  • Morishima Akiko has a very distinctive art style, and did the manga adaptation of Yuri Kuma Arashi which earns points in my book.
  • Mochi Au Lait is popular 'round these parts. There's a lotta incest there but I'm not one to judge. I enjoy their work plenty.

And now individual series:

• Miss Sunflower is a nice age-gap-ish story.
  • Kase-san is very popular around here.
    • as is the follow-up series, Yamada to Kase-san
    • Heartwarming, tooth-rotting fluff with the occasional dose of mild angst.
  • Husky and Medley, a very sweet biographical story.
  • I'd be remiss in my duties not to mention Lily Love. The author, Ratana Satis, actually worked with the people that scanlated it to make an official, physical, English release. I own the first volume.
  • Last but not least Still Sick is one of my absolute favorites, not just of recent times but of all time.

...oh, also

• Dowman Sayman's work is an... aquired taste, being one of the few authors here with the prestigious What the fuck am I reading? tag applied directly to his page, but I love his work.
    • Oddman 11 is my favorite and arguably the best of his work uploaded here, and it's the closest to what could be called a yuri manga, oddly enough. (Pun 100% intended)
    • If you do feel like branching out though, Nickelodeon (named for the theaters, not the cartoon channel... I hope?) is comprised of a bunch of mostly unrelated short stories and it's one hell of a ride from start to finish. A good example of what he's about, that's for sure.

Now for doujinshi/derivative works:

• I don't even like Yuru Yuri but I love Amahima-Sakusaku ~13 Years After .
  • If I tried to list every Love Live! doujin I've ever enjoyed, we'd probably be here all day. I'll do some greatest hits though.
  • As the page says "There's an assload of touhou, even in the yuri niche."
    • You'll never run out of Touhou doujins to read and it ranges from the yuri-est of Yuri to some real What the fuck am I reading? shit.
    • I'm not gonna give any specific suggestions here, just pick a pairing or author or whatever and go wild. The most popular pairings are probably Marisa x Reimu and Alice x Marisa, but I can't say I've taken a census.
    • The best pairing is Meiling x Sakuya though. I don't make the rules.
    • (I make the rules)

I could maybe also go into some fanfic stuff, but that really depends on what fandoms you're interested in. If any of those are Persona (especially Persona 5) or Fire Emblem: Three Houses then boy have I got some treats for you. Otherwise, I dunno, there's a bit of Love Live! stuff I'm fond of that I could dig up for you. Mostly focused on a handful of pairings (NicoMaki and a few less common ones like EliUmi and NicoTori).

The one thing you'll find if you really get into fanfic is that yuri is not that popular, relatively speaking. Outside of fandoms for things like Love Live! and Touhou where men basically don't exist, things almost always go yaoi > het > yuri. That said, there's so much fanfic out there you'll still be able to find pretty much anything you want.

If you're interested, AO3 is the best place to go. The search and filter options are very robust.

...Just don't get into any petty fandom bullshit. The people who read and write fanfic are occasionally very... "passionate" about their preferred configurations of certain relationships of particular characters.

last edited at Sep 17, 2021 1:34PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018
  • Juniper's Knot
    • Again, not explicitly yuri, but it's like an hour long, free, and there's not NOT lesbians.
    • on steam and somewhere else where I first played it but I can't for the life of me remember where that was. It might have just been a list of VN's made in ren'py or something like that.

If you don't like Steam, it can be found on the developer's own site in various languages, plus extras like the soundtrack and art.

• Yamada to Kase-san is very popular around here.
    • as is the follow-up series, Kase-san

Switch those, Yamada to Kase-san is the sequel.

joined Jul 18, 2021

Hello! Was wondering if anyone could recommend any yuri manga series with OLs as main character? I've read the more common ones like Still Sick, Crescent Moon and Doughnuts, Fusoroi No Renri, etc. Also that one by Morishima Akiko, I forgot the title. It can be NSFW or not, but I'd prefer a series to one shots since I want a good, developed story. Oh, and on an unrelated note , if there are any yuri manga series related to food? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!

last edited at Sep 15, 2021 9:08AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Hello! Was wondering if anyone could recommend any yuri manga series with OLs as main character? I've read the more common ones like Still Sick, Crescent Moon and Doughnuts, Fusoroi No Renri, etc. Also that one by Morishima Akiko, I forgot the title. It can be NSFW or not, but I'd prefer a series to one shots since I want a good, developed story. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!

I'm assuming the "more common ones" also includes Teiji ni Agaretara?

A suggestion for the food-related yuri series you edited in as I was posting this would be Suito-to!.

last edited at Sep 15, 2021 9:16AM

joined Jul 18, 2021

Hello! Was wondering if anyone could recommend any yuri manga series with OLs as main character? I've read the more common ones like Still Sick, Crescent Moon and Doughnuts, Fusoroi No Renri, etc. Also that one by Morishima Akiko, I forgot the title. It can be NSFW or not, but I'd prefer a series to one shots since I want a good, developed story. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!

I'm assuming the "more common ones" also includes Teiji ni Agaretara?

A suggestion for the food-related yuri series you edited in as I was posting this would be Suito-to!.

Yes I've read Teiji ni Agaretara already. I'll check out Suito-to. Thank you!

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015
  • Yamada to Kase-san is very popular around here.
    • as is the follow-up series, Kase-san

Switch those, Yamada to Kase-san is the sequel.

Whoops, so it is. Thanks for the correction, fixed it.

Eripiyomybeloved
joined Jul 12, 2021

(I'm quoting SushiKnight on September 14, page 33, I haven't properly figured how forums works so...)

Here's a very delayed reply. Thank you so much for the long post so here's another to you, I'll be cropping your quotes to save space

*VNs

I do enjoy a little of drama! That's a lot of VNs recommendations and I will remember it all, Kindred Spirits on the Roof is the first I plan to play

*mangoes

Here's some thoughts:

I've read Kase-San and it's sequel; I lost Miss Sunflower off my list a good while ago, you reminded me to add it back; By the way you say it's one of your favorite of all time, I'll give another chance to Still Sick, I ended dropping it on chapter 21; I also added to my list some of these that seems more light for my taste... aww man I just have specific taste and can't enjoy everything

I guess I should have mentioned shoujo-ai instead of yuri but it's still too confusing so anyway, sexual lust is always a turn down for me, I wonder what is my problem, better not think too hard about it

And I'm not getting in What The Fuck I'm Reading now o_O, if it's not yuri I really enjoy the Psychological genre, or just melancholic stuff

*doujinshi

You're making me die inside wanting to read some of these, I'll talk a little more about it in the end, and I'm adding Amahima-Sakusaku ~13 Years After

*fanfic

You're right, I can't get some proper recommendation without telling a fandom interest... and I guess I can't say of any, the most exploitable anime I've taken a liking was Hibike Euphonium and K-ON, can't tell of any manga. I did read a good fanfic of Hibike but didn't search for more

If you're interested, AO3 is the best place to go. The search and filter options are very robust.

I didn't know of this site, thanks

...Just don't get into any petty fandom bullshit. The people who read and write fanfic are occasionally very... "passionate" about their preferred configurations of certain relationships of particular characters.

I know exactly what you mean and I've being doing my best to not get in any

I wish I could enjoy Touhou or Love Live as there's an insane amount of fan work of these. I will eventually try to read the Love Live manga as I think it should be way calmer than the anime, I can't take too much brightness and cheeriness. Do tell me if you know of any doujinshi or fanfic that I can read with no context

Again, thanks a lot and sorry for the long delayed reply

last edited at Sep 29, 2021 3:22AM

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

That's a lot of VNs recommendations and I will remember it all, Kindred Spirits on the Roof is the first I plan to play

Yeah, I'm a bit of a fanatic. I've even been dabbling in Ren'Py to make my own, though I'm a total programming newb and I'm not making a huge effort to learn quickly. It's mostly just for fun.

I've read Kase-San and it's sequel; I lost Miss Sunflower off my list a good while ago, you reminded me to add it back; By the way you say it's one of your favorite of all time, I'll give another chance to Still Sick, I ended dropping it on chapter 21; I also added to my list some of these that seems more light for my taste... aww man I just have specific taste and can't enjoy everything

Don't worry about having very specific taste. My interests were much, much narrower 5 years ago than they are now. Feel free to stick with what you like for as long as you like. Your taste might change over time, or maybe not, and that's fine either way. We all enjoy what we enjoy.

Also don't feel pressured to read something just because it's among someone else's favorites. There's a lot that I really love that just isn't for most people.

...even if I do have impeccable taste. :P

I guess I should have mentioned shoujo-ai instead of yuri but it's still too confusing so anyway, sexual lust is always a turn down for me, I wonder what is my problem, better not think too hard about it

I'll just go ahead and have "the talk" myself so nobody else has to:

Shoujo-ai is a term that was created in the west to separate SFW yuri from NSFW yuri. It's derived from translating "Girls Love" from English to Japanese (a decision I'll never understand) very literally. Basically, "shoujo-ai" doesn't mean in Japan what it means here (it's not even really a term at all), and it's falling out of use. It's not a taboo or anything to say it, but people around here and various places elsewhere use yuri for both SFW and NSFW. Shoujo-ai is still used on a lot of big sites, like MAL, mangadex, etc. simply because that's what was done at the time, is what a lot of people are already familiar with, and it would be a massive pain in the ass to change it. It can still be useful for categorization though, even if it's not a "real" term. Language do be like that.

And seriously, there's zero problem with not liking NSFW stuff. I totally get it.

And I'm not getting in What The Fuck I'm Reading now o_O, if it's not yuri I really enjoy the Psychological genre, or just melancholic stuff

Yeah, I'm not gonna suggest you dip your toe in that right now, if ever. :P
It's not for everyone, and not everything within it is for everyone that wants to read things tagged with it. I just happen to be one of those weird people who enjoys a lot of them for one reason or another.

You're right, I can't get some proper recommendation without telling a fandom interest... and I guess I can't say of any, the most exploitable anime I've taken a liking was Hibike Euphonium and K-ON, can't tell of any manga. I did read a good fanfic of Hibike but didn't search for more

There's probably someone here who can come up with something for those specific series. When I want to read fanfic I generally just browse through things on AO3. The tagging system there is also incredibly robust. It can sometimes be frustrating to find the right combination of tags to include and/or exclude to find exactly what you want, but it's usually not necessary to fiddle around with it much. You'd probably have to do very little for a series like K-ON where people are generally only focused on a handful of characters.

(I myself have a few issues with the way tags are handled, but they're very minor things and fixing them would cause other problems. So that's neither here nor there.)

I didn't know of this site, thanks

There's also fanfiction.net and various others, but a lot of people are just migrating to AO3, some sites even choosing to merge into it.

It's run by the Organization for Transformative Works. A non-profit that works to protect creators of fanfiction and other fanworks from having to deal with abusive copyright bullshit, among other things. As far as I've ever been able to tell they're very legit, and the fact that there's an ad-free fanfiction site as good as AO3 is already a blessing.

I wish I could enjoy Touhou or Love Live as there's an insane amount of fan work of these. I will eventually try to read the Love Live manga as I think it should be way calmer than the anime, I can't take too much brightness and cheeriness. Do tell me if you know of any doujinshi or fanfic that I can read with no context

Honestly? I read a lot of doujinshi for things I'm not very familiar with. I've barely watched any of the Love Live anime, but I've read a ton of the doujins and fanfic. Almost all my knowledge of the franchise is second-hand.

Same thing went for Touhou at first, and I think most people that get deep into the Touhou hole get started just by stumbling across something random from the series and asking "what is this from?". You might miss some in-jokes at first, but all-in-all you can just start with anything somewhat related to Touhou and you'll get stuck with it eventually.

TONS of people have discovered the series through the music alone, whether it's the soundtracks or one of the many, many, MANY fan remixes. It's an enormous fandom that you can't avoid stumbling across sooner or later. I think my first experience was one of IOSYS's songs. It was probably Marisa Stole the Precious Thing.

Again, thanks a lot and sorry for the long delayed reply

Don't worry about it. I'm just doing my duty...
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
...for a kindred spirit.

YEAHHHHHHH!

I can't believe the CSI: Miami meme is more than a decade old... Where has the time gone?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Shoujo-ai is a term that was created in the west to separate SFW yuri from NSFW yuri. It's derived from translating "Girls Love" from English to Japanese (a decision I'll never understand) very literally. Basically, "shoujo-ai" doesn't mean in Japan what it means here (it's not even really a term at all), and it's falling out of use. It's not a taboo or anything to say it, but people around here and various places elsewhere use yuri for both SFW and NSFW. Shoujo-ai is still used on a lot of big sites, like MAL, mangadex, etc. simply because that's what was done at the time, is what a lot of people are already familiar with, and it would be a massive pain in the ass to change it. It can still be useful for categorization though, even if it's not a "real" term. Language do be like that.

Fun fact - even MAL is no longer using it after the recent genres overhaul.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Fun fact - even MAL is no longer using it after the recent genres overhaul.

I never go there myself, so that's good to know.

To reply you must either login or sign up.