Forum › My Girlfriend's Not Here Today discussion

joined Mar 8, 2019

I think some of the stigma may come from the “I would never do that” mentality. Some readers are unable to separate their actions from characters actions, believing characters are unrealistic or terrible because the reader feels they would behave differently when faced with a similar situation.

I understand the impulse but it creates unnecessary frustration because the reader starts to feel everything about the story is wrong.

I know characters are meant to relate to every day life people but relating does not mean the character is you. But some readers are inclined to force their own ideals with fictional characters.

Of course there are also some that are unable to pick up on subtext so they miss insinuations and foreshadowing.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I don't know if I'll continue reading this....

The best part in height gap couples is *obviously* the difference in the bending of the elbow when holding hands (example). I mean, there are other benefits too, but the bending of the elbow should, without a doubt, be one of the main points of focus. And then the author just goes and adds these yukata sleeves, concealing all the elbow action...!

Authors who don't appreciate the things that need to be appreciated frustrate me.

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

I don't know if I'll continue reading this....

The best part in height gap couples is *obviously* the difference in the bending of the elbow when holding hands (example). I mean, there are other benefits too, but the bending of the elbow should, without a doubt, be one of the main points of focus. And then the author just goes and adds these yukata sleeves, concealing all the elbow action...!

Authors who don't appreciate the things that need to be appreciated frustrate me.

Excuse me... what?

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Excuse me... what?

...I was joking.

Though my appreciation for the elbow bending was real, ngl XD
I just find it cute, cause it accentuates the difference in height... Obviously, it's not mandatory-main-point-of-focus cute, but cute nonetheless.
Yeah, I'm weird like that...

Edit: Also, it's something I wouldn't have paid attention to myself, so it's cool to see artists take note of details like that.

last edited at Aug 21, 2021 3:27PM

7c3371fc-1218-42e3-9009-8520d7f626fa
joined Sep 15, 2020

I don’t really get what the issue is here about the characters at all, they’re a pretty accurate depiction of the mess that are teenagers. I’d say there would be issues with the characters if the same premise but they were in their mid 30s instead, but they’re teens probably experiencing their first relationship, they’re bound to be prone to making mistakes. Even Fuuko’s realistic, some people just want to ruin what others, either to have it for themselves or for the sake of just ruining it for everyone else, just look at Twitter for example. But teens can be pretty dysfunctional, confused, and dumb, especially if they don’t bother talking to others or real adults about what’s going on or what’s wrong that they might need help with.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Wait how the actual fuck did Fuuko not only know exactly where they were but also get there in time to see that when we saw her in class???

That wasn't class, that was cram school.
Remember, it was late in the evening or early in the night, and the high schools are closed at that time.
Fuuko was in cram school and about to get out. She guessed they were at the festival because of the yukata. She ran and arrived in time to stalk them and take pics. An hour or so had passed from the moment mc posted the photo with her and gf holding hands, so it's reasonable.

NTR yuri lover
joined Aug 21, 2021

Looking forward for this manga!

joined Apr 15, 2020

Big Caterpillar Chungus

Yes

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Wait how the actual fuck did Fuuko not only know exactly where they were but also get there in time to see that when we saw her in class???

That wasn't class, that was cram school.
Remember, it was late in the evening or early in the night, and the high schools are closed at that time.

Yeah, Yuni and Nanase have several wide-shot scenes where you can see the stars in the night sky over the roofs of the festival stands. And Fuuko is at a private cram school, they show us the facade of the building and you can see the school name painted on the windows.

On another subject: I'm always impressed by the extraordinary quality of the art in this author's manga. It's not just the all-around solidity and attention to detail; the use of field sizes, angles and transitions to visually express ideas and capture emotionally-charged moments is totally awesome. I especially loved certain close-ups from Yuni's pov: there aren't many artists who can get right such a difficult perspective.

On yet another subject: Yuni is never going to learn that she gotta stop livetweeting her secrets for the whole world to know, is she?

Okay%20magge
joined Mar 5, 2021

i swear if yuni won't handle this like a true chad like she claimed how she's not that weak and ignore the blackmail, but knowing the author it will clearly go that way lmao she really loves creating love triangles.

and that sudden kiss.

also based fuuko.

last edited at Aug 21, 2021 11:35PM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying "some people read stories wrong".

Then they shouldn't read the story wrong.

Being serious though, you can read any way you want. But if you try to discuss the story and want to persuade other readers, the first method is not the way to go because you're not using the actual manga at hand to make your points. How can someone else respond without a common talking point?

Is that why we are here? To convince others they are wrong? Are comments like "Fuuko is so dope" and "damn I love me some good drama" somehow more persuasive arguments on the other end of this scale that you put readers on?

In fact, when people here argue that the characters feel like realistic teenagers in support of them and the story, they are then also judging from an outside perspective relating to their own experiences as/with teenagers in their life. When others complain that Fuuko feels like a manic pixie dream girl in relation to the other characters, they are then using the internal logic and "ethos" as was said to compare and base that opinion on. Seems to me some of you are trying to forcefully pigeonhole people in an effort to undermine their opinions.

At the end of the day some will like the manga, some will dislike the manga, we all have our reasons and, indeed, backgrounds to feel how we feel no matter how hard we try to separate real world from NTR fantasy land. And that is where we personally speaking seem to be with this story so far; a fairly bog standard trio of characters with the usual setup, just Nanase and Fuuko happen to be women too which does not really make the story that much more interesting. If Nanase was, say, a diligent guy in the student council wanting to keep his image pristine or whatever, while Fuuko was a freespirited playboy with his blonde hair about to expand some horizons for the MC (with a side of blackmail even), it would amount to basically the same thing. Forced? Sure, but then people are here arguing that Nanase's actual reasonings are not that much better.

Now it is of course possible that this story will make some kind of twist or turn and end up somewhere completely different, or at least get there in a different way I suppose. But until then we can only work with what we know, and what we know is just kind of... eh? And if you think this story is super interesting and engaging then all the power to you, have a great time, I can't agree but that's just the way it goes.

joined Apr 4, 2017

The sound I made when she said "I'm fine with being your number 2 girl if you want" out loud

joined Apr 4, 2017

omg... chapter 3..... the drama of it all /)///7///(\

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying "some people read stories wrong".

Then they shouldn't read the story wrong.

Being serious though, you can read any way you want. But if you try to discuss the story and want to persuade other readers, the first method is not the way to go because you're not using the actual manga at hand to make your points. How can someone else respond without a common talking point?

Is that why we are here? To convince others they are wrong? Are comments like "Fuuko is so dope" and "damn I love me some good drama" somehow more persuasive arguments on the other end of this scale that you put readers on?

In fact, when people here argue that the characters feel like realistic teenagers in support of them and the story, they are then also judging from an outside perspective relating to their own experiences as/with teenagers in their life. When others complain that Fuuko feels like a manic pixie dream girl in relation to the other characters, they are then using the internal logic and "ethos" as was said to compare and base that opinion on. Seems to me some of you are trying to forcefully pigeonhole people in an effort to undermine their opinions.

At the end of the day some will like the manga, some will dislike the manga, we all have our reasons and, indeed, backgrounds to feel how we feel no matter how hard we try to separate real world from NTR fantasy land. And that is where we personally speaking seem to be with this story so far; a fairly bog standard trio of characters with the usual setup, just Nanase and Fuuko happen to be women too which does not really make the story that much more interesting. If Nanase was, say, a diligent guy in the student council wanting to keep his image pristine or whatever, while Fuuko was a freespirited playboy with his blonde hair about to expand some horizons for the MC (with a side of blackmail even), it would amount to basically the same thing. Forced? Sure, but then people are here arguing that Nanase's actual reasonings are not that much better.

Now it is of course possible that this story will make some kind of twist or turn and end up somewhere completely different, or at least get there in a different way I suppose. But until then we can only work with what we know, and what we know is just kind of... eh? And if you think this story is super interesting and engaging then all the power to you, have a great time, I can't agree but that's just the way it goes.

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying “whatever.”

joined Jan 1, 2021

I think the route the author will go is showing nanase is cheating on yuni!!! Not blackmailing yuni.... now tht fuko knows who her girlfriend is... nanase has a ntr protagonist vibe. Fuuko will show nanase is cheating on her an say.... why can't you keep a side chick too.

joined Jan 1, 2021

my ntr instinct telling me that nanase girl cheating the MC.

just break up with that kind of girl seriously the ntr aura on that nanase is STROOONG!!!

I agree.... fuuko will probably expose the cheating.

last edited at Aug 22, 2021 9:38AM

just break up with that kind of girl seriously the ntr aura on that nanase is STROOONG!!!

I agee too... I keep getting this nagging feeling that Nanase is doing something behind Yuni's back, & Fuuko knows that & will probably will find proof that Nanase is cheating on Yuni.

joined Jan 1, 2021

I agee too... I keep getting this nagging feeling that Nanase is doing something behind Yuni's back, & Fuuko knows that & will probably will find proof that Nanase is cheating on Yuni.

Thank you it is nice to see ppl who can see the authors implications.... An i agree to on social media she will say it is because she didnt call me cute today.... But in real life it is becuase of nanase cheating and neglect.... why she cheats.... plot twist will be when yuni alt acct is found by nanase!!! tht will probably be the climax!!!

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying “whatever.”

Weeell, maybe you simply did not read it as a construction, with its own ethos and logic?

You know what? Fair. Plus you made me chuckle which is probably a good mood to end on, heh.

joined Jan 1, 2021

My girlfriend's not here today..... is to show nanase cheating.... and get proven by fuuko.

last edited at Aug 22, 2021 2:38PM

Noodvatar100
joined Apr 13, 2021

Man I want to like Fuuko because the not-date from the previous chapter really had some potential, but that blackmailing/stalker move is such a red flag.

joined Mar 29, 2021

Hey Fuuko, leave her alone!

And Yuni better treat Nanase better or she's gonna lose her.

last edited at Aug 23, 2021 1:57AM

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

And Yuni better treat Nanase better or she's gonna lose her.

I thought for a long time trying to figure your angle. It struck me as a really original take on the story.

Then I thought that maybe you got the names of Yuni and Nanase mixed up, lol.

joined Jan 30, 2021

SPICYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

joined Jan 1, 2021

Yuni has no self esteem, Nanase is a manipulator, and Fuuko rocks. I am sure Yuni cannot break up with Nanase because Nanase is good in bed. Anybody who has any self esteem would dump Nanase right there and then. Obviously Nanase actually does not mind being seen as a lesbian, because she is close to other girls, including holding hands. Somehow she does not want to associate with Yuni. At the end of the day. Yuni is just a fu**buddy of Nanase.

Yuni hasn't done anything wrong ( yet )to be honest. Yeah she's being a doormat but she's a fucking highschool girl in what might be her first relationship and navigating being gay in a society that doesn't particularily accept ain't easy, cut her some slack. Fuuko is going into very dangerous territory to get her way with Yuni. Nanase is not being a good for sure, but so far I wouldn't go as far as to call her manipulative. If we find out later on she's hiding something, which might very well be possible then sure. But seriously, Yuni hasn't done anything bad beyond liking her GF and hoping she'd get loved back.

Best thing yuni could do is lay out all out to Nanase and then either they make it work out or break up and then she can look elsewhere but yuuko certainly ain't a good choice lol.

Nanase is cheating

To reply you must either login or sign up.