Forum › The Moon on a Rainy Night discussion

joined Mar 20, 2021

I've always thought of Kuzushiro as an author who ends their stories with unsatisfying open endedness until I realized it's literally because I haven't read an ending to a manga by them even once.

joined Mar 1, 2018

Here comes the slow burn

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Honestly really enjoyed the first chapter, I'm here for the slow burn. The shut down on the girl making assumptions was hilariously brutal. I imagine her hearing disability will factor in something to do with the Piano, given the current setup.

Edit: And thanks for the translation! <3

last edited at Jun 15, 2021 1:38AM

joined Oct 14, 2020

Not bad. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

Kuzushiro's artstyle has always been so eye-catching. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this manga, thank you for uploading!

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

This looks like it’s gonna be really good, I’m looking forward to it!

Also good luck with your financial situation, I hope you can get some kind of unemployment

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Oof. That was a painful introduction but at least teacher tried.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Wow, Kuzushiro surprising me for good again. I really love Ani no yome and I can't help but think I will love this manga too, given how good the first chapter was. Kuzushiro is definitely turning into one of my favorites authors

Also good luck with finding a job soon Omni

joined Apr 6, 2021

Yo I got a real good felling about this one

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

This looks good. Please no drama

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

I've had a hearing loss my whole life and the number of people who have claimed it wasn't real always befuddled me. I never understood why they thought that. It never occurred to me it that it might be because they can't see it. I figured it was just my bad luck I ran into so many people like that so I'm surprised to see this phenomenon described in this manga.

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

A lesbian using the piano lesson as an excuse to see her beautiful piano teacher. Sounds familiar.
Kek. But anyway, I really like this kind of stories, I'm fine if it's gonna be a little dramatic and bullying as long as they would come to acknowledge each other's feelings and so

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

yeesh, someone's got an attitude

joined Mar 26, 2021

I love Kuzushiro artstyle, also love the stories of this author. Feel like this will be a slow burn manga but hope its not as slow as Ani no Yome. The thing that make me a little worried is this subtext tag, same as in Ani no yome I will be wondering if there be something more between two Mc's girls

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Seems really interesting, but I'm not feeling how much the deaf girl goes off on long-winded and pretentious speeches that no one in real life would just sit there and listen to. Even for someone speaking in japanese (which is a very structured language), all her dialogue so far is just weirdly long and unnaturally precise.

Hoping she gets less preachy and more authentic as the story goes.

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

I had a similar experience to the protagonist. One of my classmates was autistic and although sometimes I and my other classmates helped him with certain tasks or we always avoided making a lot of noise so that he wouldn't feel disturbed, his existence felt like a fantasy.
We were middle schoolers and he suddenly appeared in the classroom and the teacher told us that he was autistic and that we had to be super super super nice to him and we didn't understand the situation very well we had never met someone like him before, it felt out of place...

Geez, I really wish they had taught us more about people with disabilities :(

joined Sep 27, 2017

I've had a hearing loss my whole life and the number of people who have claimed it wasn't real always befuddled me. I never understood why they thought that. It never occurred to me it that it might be because they can't see it. I figured it was just my bad luck I ran into so many people like that so I'm surprised to see this phenomenon described in this manga.

Yeah I think people have a hard time accepting things that are out of their personal "norm", especially if they can't see them. You get this with things outside of disability as well, homosexuality is a big one. There's a lot of "you're not REALLY interested in people of the same sex" that goes around, along with other phrases like people saying homosexuality is "just a phase".

Oh and depression is commonly dismissed, and still unfortunately not taken seriously a lot of the time. Heck though I think some people are even dismissive of things they can see, like telling someone in a wheelchair to get up and stop faking it. Dismissive behavior like this is very frustrating and unfortunate.

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

Seems really interesting, but I'm not feeling how much the deaf girl goes off on long-winded and pretentious speeches that no one in real life would just sit there and listen to. Even for someone speaking in japanese (which is a very structured language), all her dialogue so far is just weirdly long and unnaturally precise.

To me it felt more like she has memorized a script to use in these kind of situations. Keeps people away so she wont have to deal with them.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I echo the sentiment of really unnatural dialogue, and I think it's more likely just author's writing than any in-universe explanation :P

And I dunno, from the whole chapter I get that feeling of everything being slightly artificial, characters explaining exactly how they feel and why (whether in internal monologues or directly) etc. It's just enough of this stuff to slightly irk me, but it might be interesting nonetheless.

joined Oct 10, 2016

Honestly it can be anything. I have no idea who the author is but they seem to be known here. With Kanon's bitter and snarky "I need no help" personality it may end in cliches. We'll see.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

To me it felt more like she has memorized a script to use in these kind of situations. Keeps people away so she wont have to deal with them.

That is precisely what I meant, only phrased better.

I get the distinct impression it's more that the author is failing to translate the sentiments they want the character to express into natural-ish dialogue, than the character intentionally quoting a paragraph of memorized text.

It's the kind of writing I'd expect to see from a teenaged newbie writer trying to write their first edgy character, but due to their inexperience, it just comes out as a pretentious "someone who understands humans and society better than anyone else but no one understands them, so they're tortured but super brave and cool and intelligent and only the main character understands how much they understand about everything" character.

joined Apr 8, 2021

You mean you guys don't launch into a monologue about human nature whenever someone approaches you? I might be doing something wrong.

(It sure does look like a mouthful when written out)

Say, Saki. Has anyone ever told you? "Always think about what it's like to be in another person's shoes". I seriously wonder if there are people in this world who actually abide by that saying. At the very least, it's impossible for me. As the years go by, it becomes increasingly harder for me to understand the feelings of those that can hear "normally". Just like how you can't understand the feelings of people who can't hear. I mean, it's not like we have a way to measure how another person feels. It's impossible for two people who don't understand each other to begin with to get along. Don't concern yourself with me.

last edited at Jun 15, 2021 10:21AM

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Disability, but also subtext
Looks like a finger on my monkey paw just curled

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Is it me or the main character seems already aware of her own orientation?
Like, she gushed over how pretty the girl she bumped into was and the mom didn't seem that surprised, as if that was a common occurrence.

Yes, I know this should be seen as normal, I am pointing that out from a narrative perspective, because to make the MC first notice she has feelings for another girl, especially in Japanese media. It would be an interesting change of pace to make her already aware of her preferences.

As for the second MC, at first, it seems her detachment is a bit excessive, but again we have to remember the place this story comes from, in japan, being different from is not a good thing. To the point segregation is a regular response from society (Just watch "The sound of her voice" for an example) thus her being a bit cynical about MC trying to befriend her is not that much of a stretch, plus whatever other baggage she may have.

For now, I think this has the potential for a good story and look forward to what will happen.

Also: I never heard that saying before, to see the moon in the rain.
I will remember it.

joined Sep 27, 2017

That is precisely what I meant, only phrased better.

I get the distinct impression it's more that the author is failing to translate the sentiments they want the character to express into natural-ish dialogue, than the character intentionally quoting a paragraph of memorized text.

It's the kind of writing I'd expect to see from a teenaged newbie writer trying to write their first edgy character, but due to their inexperience, it just comes out as a pretentious "someone who understands humans and society better than anyone else but no one understands them, so they're tortured but super brave and cool and intelligent and only the main character understands how much they understand about everything" character.

I might be wrong, but I think the person you're responding to is saying that some people DO memorize scripts. It can be really frustrating to be repeatedly asked things, have people assume things, and have some try to take pity on you. So people in some cases like this DO sometimes memorizes scripts that they don't have to think about, and it's an easy way to keep people at an arm's length.

Personally I think you're going way too hard on the author. People keep mentioning how she has unnatural way of speaking, when IRL (and sometimes online) I'm often told that my way of speaking is far too mechanical and polite, even with close friends and family. So while the writing in this might not be the best thing ever, and some of it even angsty and edgy, people that don't speak "naturally" do exist.

last edited at Jun 15, 2021 11:35AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.