Forum › She Came Back For Me (True Story) discussion

2021-02-06%2003_35_00-window
joined Aug 12, 2018

Cute but what was even the point of breaking up in the first place

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

10 years wasted for nothing? Hm...shame. Still cute.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Err, Ive zero clue what she broke up with her for- how was them not being able to marry relevant? Tons of straight couples dont bother marrying either! You cant have a loving relatioship without marriage?

What was she doing for those 10 years and where? She sure as hell didnt rush her ass back to her much missed GF- who was a moron to wait that long and 99% of people would NOT. So then they are back together- in exactly the same situation as before those 10 pointless years?

Or maybe the older girl actually meant she wanted to go sleep around as much as posible for 10 years, then when it was time to become more settled she'd go back to the sap she knew would always wait?

last edited at May 10, 2021 2:18AM

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

uhmm what's the point of the break-up?

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Exactly lol

last edited at May 10, 2021 2:23AM

Img_20200823_190728_421
joined Nov 2, 2020

Maybe the break up might have been bc of their age gap, there might have been more things that led up to the break up too. There's nothing wrong with age gap, but i mean she was like 18 and the teacher was probably in her 20s? Maybe one of them was still closeted or they might have not been ready for a serious relationship. Since this is based off a true experience, perhaps the mangaka probably didn't want to include too much on what led up to the break up? Overall, i think it was a nice read ^^

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Sure there can be many reasons why a couple breaks up.. Reasons a story has to TELL you to count. Otherwise its just random nonsense out of nowhere without justification.

It would have made as much sense if she had suddenly pulled out a gun and shot her gf out of nowhere and then it ended- I could imagine many reasons THAT might happen too.. And I'd still be going.. wtf?

last edited at May 10, 2021 2:56AM

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Also coming back to meet my previous student/ex gf back when I was a practice teacher. Lol just for catching up tho. It's been almost 10 years as well.haha

last edited at May 10, 2021 3:13AM

joined Jul 22, 2014

What a waste of time.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

^ Sure there can be many reasons why a couple breaks up.. Reasons a story has to TELL you to count. Otherwise its just random nonsense out of nowhere without justification.

It would have made as much sense if she had suddenly pulled out a gun and shot her gf out of nowhere and then it ended- I could imagine many reasons THAT might happen too.. And I'd still be going.. wtf?

The problem with the story is listed in the tags, it's biographical, not autobiographical. This means a 3rd party is writing about the events in question with incomplete information and reality is oftentimes stranger and less consistent than fiction. Expecting it to follow standard story beats doesn't work 'cause reality never follows those standard beats in my experience.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I forgot it was meant to be biographical- which makes it more sad if that really happened! The problem remains though that her gf made no effort to justify her break up in the story. Maybe part of the problem was its so short- and Im sure there were much more complex reasons in reaity- still- even in another single page, the mangaka could have done a MUCH better job conveying those reasons.

last edited at May 10, 2021 3:45AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

A late happy ending is better than no happy ending at all.

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

That credits page

sleepingugly
joined May 18, 2020

Maybe the artist just wants to tell the world about their story, good for them tho

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Good they ended up together but lol I don’t understand the point of breaking up.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yea. Pretty much entire breaking up thing was pointless and just wasting 10 years they could have been dating instead. It might be biographical, but we can still criticize it just like any other story, especially if it doesn't actually include explanation for character's actions. "We can't get legally married" Who cares? "How we'd explain it to your parents?" You mean lack of marriage or being same-sex couple? "Whoever you'll be with in the future, I want you to smile happy" Yea, because she'll be much happier with some random dude she doesn't care about and isn't attracted to than with person she loves. And if you mean another women then what's the point of breaking up with her, because you're a woman then!?. All in all, happy she did get back for her, but not really sure what the point of all of this was and she came off as someone who didn't really care about her that much. Shame, cos beginning was really cute.

And well, if you want to write biographical story about someone else than you and don't have enough info to actually turn it into the story or for story to make sense and you don't want to add fiction to it then maybe... don't?

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

...I'd have told her to get fucked even I was still single.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Have to totally agree lol. Like I'd give a damn about someone who naffed off for 10 YEARS and thought I'd still care.

joined Mar 5, 2016

the impression i get is that the older lady thought she couldn't put the younger girl through the difficulties of being in a homosexual relationship in a society that doesn't welcome them. she's, what, 16 or 17? whereas the other lady must be like 20 or 25 ish? it's not explicitly stated but it's what i think is the explanation

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Fallacious reasoning to break up, but I do like the faces.

joined Jan 22, 2017

the impression i get is that the older lady thought she couldn't put the younger girl through the difficulties of being in a homosexual relationship in a society that doesn't welcome them.

That's what i felt too, that the teacher was concerned to protect her from social challenges or make sure she explored her options while she was young. Maybe even the teacher (who is also young) is still battling with her own sexuality crisis, and feels that yearning in her heart still (or pressure from her family) for a commitment that she knows the two cannot easily make?

Not enough detail is in the manga itself (it's so short), but the line, "Please don't cry, you'll see..." is I think important to help read between the lines. And one thing you DON'T see is Hana objecting that marriage or her parents are not as important to her as this relationship. (Again, it's short, and Hana is in shock, but we can only go by what's on the page, or rather not on the page.)

last edited at May 10, 2021 12:07PM

joined Jan 22, 2017

Something also to think about: this manga could be based in a city that began recognizing same-sex unions?

Japanese courts only introduced a constitution challenge to the national ban in March of this year (this manga was written in 2019), but since 2015 a number of major cities have broken away to recognize domestic partnerships in the de facto/hand-wave way many nations started with before making it legal. This is a "true" story, so it's not some hopeful glimpse of the future we are seeing, but maybe it was written in memory of some local victories that were meaningful to the real Hana?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56425002

...It is a little sweeter though if it isn't about rules and just is simply a story of the two finally realizing they had to be together no matter what.

last edited at May 10, 2021 12:04PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Rather than "we can't get married," my focus was definitely on "How would we explain this to your parents?" MC is still a kid, and the teacher isn't. Having been on both sides of (smaller, but similar) an age gap, I can sympathise with the teacher's unwillingness to drag a kid into a relationship they're "not ready for." Just being on the opposite side of higher education is already a massive gap in life experience.

Of course anyone is welcome to criticise the story on their own terms, but these are meant to be snapshots of reality. I think this functions just fine as one. In real life, there aren't easy character motivations or backstories that explain serious events. Sometimes things happen and there's no good answer why they happened that way.

I'm glad Hana found her happiness. Hopefully it lasts the second time around.

last edited at May 10, 2021 1:15PM

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

idk man

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Can someone explain to me why the joke in the credits basically calls the mc an idiot, when she was the one who didn't want to break up?

To reply you must either login or sign up.