Forum › Posts by BoskyHoss

joined Jan 22, 2017

The word used is "Ikemen" which technically applies to men only (the woman equivalent would be Ikeonna). Since it echoes her line in the first page, I kept it as is.

iirc I've heard some Japanese sources advocate for it being inherently (vs colloquially) gender-neutral based on the idea it's 面 rather than メンズ or something, but that seems to be splitting hairs since it's obvious in context and the "handsome" implication seems to be baked in either way. I do run into/like イケ女 (as イケジョ) occasionally and which apparently predates イケメン but it seems less common.

If "ikemen" has the concept of handsomeness built in, then it seems like "handsome hottie" or something like that could have worked instead of "hot guy". That'd be something that tends to imply masculinity on first read (and it is accurate in her first use of it) but then defies assumptions and broadens in meaning in the second use. Let the reader (and character) redefine the term as the story goes along.

But it's fine, readers get it (though some minor triggers could come from some irritated from having been misgendered or insulted,) and anyway, I don't think this character is quite so considerate in how she speaks until the moment hits her.

last edited at Apr 8, 2024 1:50PM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

Yeaaah no this story doesn't work. The personae are all wrong.

The main character met this cute girl Ellie; they hit it off, went for drinks, enjoyed a pleasant evening together, and kissed before they said goodbye.

The reasonable next move is obviously the mc calling a U-haul. Duh!

And then her heel gets stuck in a grate on the way home one night together, and here comes Truck-kun...

Honestly, I've had people like Ellie, who breeze into people's lives but are just made to keep flitting. Not had surprise kisses like that to confuse things, but there's been nights out where you imagine you'll be doing this with this person every weekend, but you know deep down why this night was what it was, and then a little while goes by until you're running into them with others and cordially chatting about vague plans to do something again sometime...

They made a moment, not a match. Moments are still valuable to make.

last edited at Jan 12, 2024 1:00PM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

Fingering the trigger..

joined Jan 22, 2017

The credits page makes fun of the timing, but I actually love that there are a few COVID-related manga!

I keep a disc of some COVID era entertainment, as a reminder of what this unique time (hopefully...) was like, what we were feeling, how we coped, and where we found our strength to persevere and look forward to a future.

last edited at Jun 7, 2023 1:58AM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

...this would be one of those stories where you give an extra 1 page to show the two women get it together in a much more wholesome way.

Naw, a good conversation at a bar can be it's own bit of romance. You don't have to go home together to have a moment of connection and insight and even passion.

last edited at May 18, 2023 4:05PM

joined Jan 22, 2017

Sweet, the series is complete. Thanks for working on all three chapters.

joined Jan 22, 2017

It is cute, for sure... But a Chocolate Almond? No, it's not going to break like that!
Be careful out there, young lovers, not everything in real life works the way it does in Yuri manga.

last edited at Feb 13, 2023 2:29AM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

motormind posted:

Are we being punished now we finally got a sex scene out of this?

Wait, you consider short chapters in between a kind of punishment?

I think it's just that the minis are coming right as things have gotten juicy. Hundreds of chapters fly by with a lot of teasing of possible moments, a moment finally hits, and next -- oh, hey, look at this other stuff for a bit...

I'm really liking the minis though. (I'm actually way behind, so I'm spoiled in this thread on what's in recent chapters... Virgin's Empire had a sex scene?!) The minis have been quick quips that I can get some of the author's take without committing to 260 other chapters.

last edited at Jan 27, 2023 8:36PM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

I admittedly rushed the translation, so it's more likely my fault. I'll revise the page when I get a chance.

Small suggestion if you do (maybe not worth it?) is if there's any other word besides "sake" in the last panel that would work, try a different translation? I spent a foolish bit reading the last line and thinking, "Wait, why are they talking about 'saké' all the sudden..."

...Or maybe I just read to much Japanese stuff and need to remember English words still exist?

joined Jan 22, 2017

So, that is Gelato Pique they're wearing at the end in the last panel, right?

... Is it just me, or do those look like rather uncomfortable pajamas?

last edited at Oct 29, 2022 3:08AM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

Dark stuff. And barely a metaphor with the bugs, just a creepy kind of wish fulfillment of murder for love.

...An aside, but I'm still having trouble convincing myself that the Long Strip works as a format? It's cool when it's used stylistically (like when the blood of the vermin flows down to congeal in her outline) or as a shorthand to keep conversations going without a page break, but often in this manhua, two scenes continued on into each other on a page or dramatic beats were not separated for suspense. It just made me feel every time, why not stop and flip the page right here? It's digital, break up your pages where page breaks feel right.

last edited at Oct 24, 2022 11:10PM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017
97111348_p1

... Are they about to makeout in the kiddie area of a water park?

joined Jan 22, 2017

...She put a top ON to get in bed together?

Extra shy.

joined Jan 22, 2017

Well, it felt real enough to me (though I don't follow Bang Dream and don't know the characters), so it worked either way. But a fun tradition continues...

BTW, link to last time:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_pussy_and_me

joined Jan 22, 2017

Not to be beggy, just checking, does anybody knows what the status is on the Epilogue being posted here? It's been a little while, it's unclear if this scanlator has plans to work on the Epilogue themselves, or is it best to just finish this off elsewhere?
(As mentioned earlier, princess_daphie posted a translation on Mangadex; I didn't see any status update from /U/ who did what we have here on Dynasty)

last edited at Jan 5, 2022 12:08PM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

The shallow depth-of-field foreground/background focus blur is so cool to mix with the SD artstyle here, that's a great drawing effect! Looks neat, plus also draws your eyes to the character's viewpoint (in a story of mistaken views) and has a romantic feel to it.

joined Jan 22, 2017

RPPuzzle posted:
What does it mean completed and ongoing?

It means that the raw manga is already finished and all published, but the scanlation is still ongoing

Huh, somehow I never knew that, most manga I read completed have an ending. I guess that's just usually down to scantilator speed.

Would be nice if Dynasty has a marker for when a chapter is the last, like a 'finale' tag. it can be tough to know just from the index or your Lists archive. I guess there's issues with that though, since extra chapters sometimes appear.

Was just about to start Kanade-san, thought it was short and done, but I guess we'll get there.

last edited at Aug 24, 2021 10:31PM

joined Jan 22, 2017

Feeling incredibly gay repressed and depressed as of late so take my irritation with a grain of salt but I can’t understand why y’all wouldn’t understand the 10 year gap. This is biographical. You can’t understand how societal push can cause a break up like that?? Seriously? A lot happens in ten years growth wise. I’m in an area more accepting about lgbt ppl and I still separated from the girl I loved in high school bc of societal pressure and fear. I’m just happy the irl couple was able to get back together and be happy.

People seem to get it, and that is an important and impactful matter to explore in a gay manga love story.

It's just that the structure here doesn't make it easy to connect the dots of it's themes. It is short, but the writer could have used those few pages differently if they wanted to really explore lgbt fear and pressure and happiness.

It's great that you felt a personal and warming connection to the manga; maybe that was part of the author's intent, to not go in to much detail of the relationship so that readers could bring their own experience to it?

(*Apologies ahead of time if breaking it down below feels unfair to the mangaka's irl story or what it meant to you, but here's how I saw it...)

There are three pages of 'Confession Connundrum' (which is cute, but typical and written more like a comedy manga; it's not even about the complexity of gay anxiety, both Hanna and her classmate make no big fuss about same-sex crushes.) Then there's one panel showing the relationship (not even a page, just one box saying they were happy. Then, suddenly, the breakup. And the breakup is the only part that mentions social pressure or fear, with one sharp but cryptic line that, "same-sex couples can't get married legally." (Were they talking of marriage? Were things getting serious and they were contemplating the future? Had Hana not told her parents she was dating? Was Hana graduating or the teacher moving on, and they were at a crossroads?) Then, ten years pass, and the only thing we learn about Hana's life over that time is that she never forgot that relationship... and that she she grew her hair out. Then they come back together (did they plan to meet again, it did they suddenly see each other on the street and sparks flew again?), and we get half a page showing that everything is fine. They still can't get married, it is still a world where being gay has challenges, and they lost ten years of time with each other (or maybe they had ten years of other relationships that prepared them to make it work this time? we don't know,) but Teach is back in Hana's life and she looks cool. The end.

Of all the stories in Ryo Tsuzura's True Yuri Stories collection, this is one that could be well served some day by longer serialization (although Tsuzura's mostly does very comedy, so maybe it's best to leave it short like to, and read into it what we may...)

last edited at May 13, 2021 12:49PM

joined Jan 22, 2017

Something also to think about: this manga could be based in a city that began recognizing same-sex unions?

Japanese courts only introduced a constitution challenge to the national ban in March of this year (this manga was written in 2019), but since 2015 a number of major cities have broken away to recognize domestic partnerships in the de facto/hand-wave way many nations started with before making it legal. This is a "true" story, so it's not some hopeful glimpse of the future we are seeing, but maybe it was written in memory of some local victories that were meaningful to the real Hana?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56425002

...It is a little sweeter though if it isn't about rules and just is simply a story of the two finally realizing they had to be together no matter what.

last edited at May 10, 2021 12:04PM

joined Jan 22, 2017

the impression i get is that the older lady thought she couldn't put the younger girl through the difficulties of being in a homosexual relationship in a society that doesn't welcome them.

That's what i felt too, that the teacher was concerned to protect her from social challenges or make sure she explored her options while she was young. Maybe even the teacher (who is also young) is still battling with her own sexuality crisis, and feels that yearning in her heart still (or pressure from her family) for a commitment that she knows the two cannot easily make?

Not enough detail is in the manga itself (it's so short), but the line, "Please don't cry, you'll see..." is I think important to help read between the lines. And one thing you DON'T see is Hana objecting that marriage or her parents are not as important to her as this relationship. (Again, it's short, and Hana is in shock, but we can only go by what's on the page, or rather not on the page.)

last edited at May 10, 2021 12:07PM

BoskyHoss
joined Jan 22, 2017

Should we add Insane amounts of hand-holding? Or is it a spoiler

It's my favorite tag on there. "INSANE amounts of hand-holding, in four pages, how?" Oh, witness the insanity...

joined Jan 22, 2017

Dropped?!

Oh, sad, these were great little snippets, and the presence of alcohol meant that these stories had to be about adults (...or more like the reality of characters come to find out about "adulting", at least,) which I appreciate.

It was nice to have while it lasted, cheers!

last edited at Jan 23, 2021 12:32PM

joined Jan 22, 2017

Whoa, Chi really got pretty. She looks good with longer hair and no bags under her eyes.

Yes, it was nice to see a visual transformation of her radiating her growing confidence and success.

I do think it might have been good, though, for her to change in her clothes rather than face/hair. Less so that it's bothersome she becomes less butch when she gets happy (although fair criticism if that's something that snags for you,) moreso because it'd parallel what Nagi said to her, "I think cute dresses would suit you too, Chi-chan."

joined Jan 22, 2017

Finding myself wishing the author was more interested in the cross-dressing side characters who "don't pass" than the fairly familiar harem / gay-panic aspects this manga centers on.

Not only are these other characters adorably drawn in all their manly femininity / ladylike masculinity, but IMO they are potentially more interesting as a broad comedy attempt at exploring gender fluidity and social norms than just a guy going, "That person is a male, but they're also in a dress, so should I try to hump 'em or not?!" They are the joy I take from this manga, so thrilled and comfortable to embrace and explore presentation despite not being extraordinarily skilled at it.

Granted, these three are not complex or virtuous allies, necessarily. (I could have done without them all suddenly pining for a boyfriend... if some in the class found themselves free to explore latent/repressed homosexuality in this less-restrictive environment, then great! Or even if the classmates were so excited by what they learned about themselves and others while cross-dressing that they were open to try casual dating for further understanding of gender experiences, maybe? But this manga takes the more standard approach of 'everyone in pants wants to bang everyone in a skirt and vice-versa', which is pretty stale as comedy goes even without the larger social discussion here.) I just like how these three peripheral characters look and how much they seem to enjoy their newly-widening view on society, and wish there was a whole manga just about them.

Thanks to the scantilation team and the mangaka all the same. Will keep reading, but mostly for bits with my three faves.

last edited at Dec 30, 2020 3:02PM

joined Jan 22, 2017

Does those bullies have X-ray eyes?

Actually, some very specific details in Pandacorya's art jumped out to me on just that first page that immediately rendered the character as looking "different".

Oda's posture and the hang of her clothes, also the way the panels were directed, there were details that made the character design seem opposite of typical manga. (It almost looked like that slight off-feeling look you get from flipped manga to me; I wonder if the artist drew the panels in the layout and then reversed some of the art?)

It's hard for me to see what rang up to me as different again going back to it a second time (which itself is a bit of a poetic reaction), but I felt the art was intentionally askew even before I read the first panel. I felt it before she said it. Anybody else feel that?

last edited at Jan 31, 2021 12:01PM