Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

joined Sep 13, 2018

fug , i will have to wait an eternity for the battle againts rei.

joined Oct 22, 2020

Hang on a minute, if they're mock-battling each other, doesn't that mean our heroine loses either way? If she loses, she loses the bet and has to leave. If she wins, Lady Claire doesn't make the cut, whereas Rei DOES have to make the cut in order to win the bet. . . . wouldn't that mean they'd be separated?
Unless it's a round robin of some sort . . . I'm kind of assuming two rounds of fights, each eliminating half so that from 20 you go down to 5.

It's been a bit since I last read the LN, but if I remember right there's basically 'style points' in the voting. Flair and skill as well as winning is important, and the points are what matter rather than fundamental duel outcomes, otherwise it would be vastly unfair based on people's elemental skill types.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

Can't wait to meet the other characters in the LN :>

joined Jan 3, 2020

Hang on a minute, if they're mock-battling each other, doesn't that mean our heroine loses either way? If she loses, she loses the bet and has to leave. If she wins, Lady Claire doesn't make the cut, whereas Rei DOES have to make the cut in order to win the bet. . . . wouldn't that mean they'd be separated?
Unless it's a round robin of some sort . . . I'm kind of assuming two rounds of fights, each eliminating half so that from 20 you go down to 5.

It's been a bit since I last read the LN, but if I remember right there's basically 'style points' in the voting. Flair and skill as well as winning is important, and the points are what matter rather than fundamental duel outcomes, otherwise it would be vastly unfair based on people's elemental skill types.

Yeah, based on the WN and LN, honestly it doesn't seem like winning is strongly considered at all - it's about the skill shown in the battle.

This is probably because it would be unfair if, for example, the two most powerful people got matched up and one eliminated another even though they both would be top 5 normally.

LilyScentedBubbleBath
Img_20200913_125333_706
joined Sep 15, 2020

I mean "Reire" would've been cool but fine have it your way ig- /j

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

Relaire is so cute~

joined Jan 6, 2017

The terms for how someone makes the cut for the battle portion were never actually laid out, which is very tricky!

Regarding the magic system, this isn't your standard isekai so the magic system is secondary in the story. As such, it wasn't spelled out in detail in chapter one or early on. (spelling out the magic system via exposition is poor storytelling and a cheap shortcut anywho.) To add on to that, despite the author's intent through both arcs of IFTV to add clear and concrete rules to the system to make it a hard magic system, I think the magic system ends up being a soft magic system that can just adapt to the plot as needed.

Hard and soft magic systems are more of a scale than a binary and I'd say this meets somewhere in the middle

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Hard and soft magic systems are more of a scale than a binary and I'd say this meets somewhere in the middle

I'd say that rather than a binary or a scale, hard and soft magic systems are the difference between narrative functions of magic in the story: a hard MS is a tool for characters to clear obstacles and to resolve conflict, while a soft MS is a chaotic impulse that introduces a sense of wonder, of "what's going to happen next?" to the story. From this point of view (and without having read the WN), the magic system in this manga is neither hard, nor soft so far, but mostly just another attribute to characterize the protagonists by their affinities to different elements. Neither Rei, nor Claire utilize magic to advance their respective story arcs in any significant capacity (as they would if it truly were a hard MS), but neither is it a major source of new plot points (like a soft MS would).

I guess my point is that rather than sitting between hard and soft MS, this story's magic is neither in equal measure, as it could have been removed altogether without affecting the essential plot lines very much (again, with the caveats "so far" and "I haven't read the WN").

last edited at Apr 26, 2021 3:58AM

Steam-community-screenshot-dream-team-demon,-witch-
joined Nov 15, 2016

Aaahhh
Dragon quest reference
Makes me happy

joined Jan 6, 2017

I'd say that rather than a binary or a scale, hard and soft magic systems are the difference between narrative functions of magic in the story: a hard MS is a tool for characters to clear obstacles and to resolve conflict, while a soft MS is a chaotic impulse that introduces a sense of wonder, of "what's going to happen next?" to the story. From this point of view (and without having read the WN), the magic system in this manga is neither hard, nor soft so far, but mostly just another attribute to characterize the protagonists by their affinities to different elements. Neither Rei, nor Claire utilize magic to advance their respective story arcs in any significant capacity (as they would if it truly were a hard MS), but neither is it a major source of new plot points (like a soft MS would).

I guess my point is that rather than sitting between hard and soft MS, this story's magic is neither in equal measure, as it could have been removed altogether without affecting the essential plot lines very much (again, with the caveats "so far" and "I haven't read the WN").

For me that doesn't quite work since I like world building but have never written stories. So I've made a couple magic systems that I classify based on how many rules they have.

20200119_124434
joined Jan 19, 2020

LN spoiler Not fucking Lambert aaaaaahhhh I hate that guy and his story and his ship with all my heart

I am glad that we finally got to see the little slimey daughter I love her so much

joined Jan 6, 2017

LN spoiler Not fucking Lambert aaaaaahhhh I hate that guy and his story and his ship with all my heart

I am glad that we finally got to see the little slimey daughter I love her so much

Why the Lambert hate? I thought he was neat (although not developed enough)

joined Feb 21, 2021

Is Lambert, Lene's brother? His face is far from how imagine him to be

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

A family can be a tsundere, an isekai protagonist and their slime child.

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Rei has the ultime defense against Claire: "Joke is on you. I am into (you) that shit". Well...almost ultimate.

And I must say Claire is no Ace Attorney.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

For me that doesn't quite work since I like world building but have never written stories. So I've made a couple magic systems that I classify based on how many rules they have.

My "definition" is actually a simplified explanation given by Brandon Sanderson in his online lectures, and he never precisely correlates the number of rules with system hardness, instead zooming in on their narrative functions. :-)

last edited at Apr 26, 2021 8:50AM

joined Jan 6, 2017

My "definition" is actually a simplified explanation given by Brandon Sanderson in his online lectures, and he never precisely correlates the number of rules with system hardness, instead zooming in on their narrative functions. :-)

It's definitely a great way to look at them, but I always look at how the magic actually does and what it takes to use. And that's simply because I like making stuff like magic systems etc without ever tying them to naratives so I have the same thought process when looking at other people's creations.

joined Apr 8, 2021

I just read his essays about magic. It was pretty interesting, a lot of food for thought.

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

"That's exactly what I want!"
Oh Rei, you such a freak. I love your little innuendos.

joined Jul 28, 2020

Seeing Relaire's official design after getting so used to seeing a typical blue slime for fanart feels weird, but gladly it's very cute.

pumpkinmonster
Ea068ec8502133f96ff1a1123008a767
joined Mar 26, 2020

i am gay for lady-claire

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

i am gay for lady-claire

We're all "in lesbians" with Claire-sama.

joined Aug 14, 2018

I don't know but I think it's because of the fear/hate of incest thing. that's actually not a reason to hate him

WN Spoiler: He's not that bad compared to Manaria. Thankfully, the story gets better again after her arc. I still love this story overall, don't get me wrong. Highly recommend to people.

joined Jan 6, 2017

I don't know but I think it's because of the fear/hate of incest thing. that's actually not a reason to hate him

WN Spoiler: He's not that bad compared to Manaria. Thankfully, the story gets better again after her arc. I still love this story overall, don't get me wrong. Highly recommend to people.

I love Manaria. She was really fun and her arc is one of the best ones for Rei and Claire's relationship.

pumpkinmonster
Ea068ec8502133f96ff1a1123008a767
joined Mar 26, 2020

I love Manaria. She was really fun and her arc is one of the best ones for Rei and Claire's relationship.

where i can read the novel? am curious about these spoilers

To reply you must either login or sign up.