Forum › The Nighthawk Drifts About discussion

joined Jul 21, 2020

People are really prompt at throwing stones at Yukako I see.

Everyone knows that lesbians should be strong and fierce and never waver in front on social pressure...

Otherwise, they are just "trash"

/s

I'm mad af with every single person who wrote in this thread to insult Yukako.

Yes yes every lesbian in the world who ever caved in to heteronormative patriarchal social coercion is an evil rotten bitch and deserves lots bad things to happen to her. /s

Wanna me to tell you where you all can shove your victim-blaming?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Lilliwyt posted:

Pack it up boys and girls, the big brains squad has spoken, there is no need to say what you want to say about what happen in the manga because you're all stupid to be upset about fictional characters.

I never said anything about fiction, au contraire.

You can find Yukako pathetic, or be upset by her behavior, but what the author probably wants is for you to be able to be in her shoes and understand that her choices, however bad they were, were a product of an environment, her upbringing and a lot of factors that were out of her control at the time.

So, myself, I can understand both Chinami and Yukako points of view. There's no right and no wrong here. Only circumstances and character.

Well, you can berate the husband though. He seems shitty enough.

Screen%20shot%202020-10-06%20at%203.36.22%20pm
joined Jun 18, 2020

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Master123456789
95931515_120449516298022_3562867537458757632_n
joined May 28, 2020

I was laughing at the start of chapter 4 but now I'm crying at the end

joined Jan 10, 2021

Sadness just sandness

joined May 26, 2016

Everyone knows that lesbians should be strong and fierce and never waver in front on social pressure...

Otherwise, they are just "trash"

/s

Yes yes every lesbian in the world who ever caved in to heteronormative patriarchal social coercion is an evil rotten bitch and deserves lots bad things to happen to her. /s

Lol victim blaming? Man is your arm ok with all that reaching

last edited at Jan 29, 2021 4:26PM

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

pain

joined Sep 13, 2018

Yeah, the part about clothes is just weird, she isn't even dressing all that masculine, it's just pants, pretty feminine looking pants too. I don't really know what the point is.

Yeah lmao, like c'mon, the first chapter is about how their lipsticks mixed, she's hardly 'dressing like a man'

1. I'm not a fan of the trying to dress like a man thing, but I don't think it is necessarily something aimed at stereotypical lesbian ... Yurako would think she would look cute in.

I mean, I just can't really see the logic in it. Like Chinami doesn't even necessarily think Yukako is only attracted to men, just that she chose a man over her, meanwhile Yukako was seduced by a pretty feminine Chinami at the reunion, has said Chinami would look cute in skirts, and as someone else pointed out she's not even dressing that masculine. So just the whole deal of 'I hate dressing like a man!!' feels weird and I just jump that assumption because I've seen the 'Oh lesbians dress like men to attract women' deal before.

Yeah frankly, like I get not liking her, but the tendency i see people to go 'hope she dies in a gutter' because they hurt someone else is like real weird imho. Gets even weirder with the 'Oh boy, here we go, there's gonna be 50 people talking about how the girl is an uwu angel who does nothing wrong!'

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah frankly, like I get not liking her, but the tendency i see people to go 'hope she dies in a gutter' because they hurt someone else is like real weird imho. Gets even weirder with the 'Oh boy, here we go, there's gonna be 50 people talking about how the girl is an uwu angel who does nothing wrong!'

I never get the extensive energy people put into railing about which characters are right and which ones are wrong (generally under the assumption that a story will have at least one of each).

This is a story where all the people are trapped by their bad choices stemming from a combination of societal pressures/expectations and their own character flaws, and I’m interested in seeing how the situation works itself out.

last edited at Jan 30, 2021 12:05PM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

to read this is like getting stabbed multiple times

joined Oct 17, 2015

Loveless sham marriages are common among all people in East Asian cultures, not just gay and lesbian people. This is because while marriage is never exactly forced on anyone, who marries who is not considered a personal affair but the interests of the family and race to continue a lineage, which makes marriage almost an obligation. This also makes divorce a kind of failure so it often happens that families break down and the marriage continues only by formality even when the two should have separated a long time ago. Younger generations are changing things, but only gradually.

Well, an obligation except to those who are already in such a marriage. They'd probably say "don't you ever marry" or something.

last edited at Feb 26, 2021 6:17PM

Images
joined Sep 20, 2016

the most hurt ive ever felt in my whole reading yuri life i think...

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

God it hurts. It's like reading my own life story. Are there more? Yuri must win.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

p7

I can still remmeber
remember

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

She is a bitch though. Victim of societal pressure or not she is making all the wrong decisions. She doesn't want to tell them she didn't want to get married (it's a pain having to repeat yourself so often but it's not going to be the end of the world to do so), so she gets married to someone she has never once loved and effectively involves others in her lie. Divorce is a pretty big black mark over there, too. Then she finds the person she snubbed earlier in life that she actually liked, and tries to rekindle things with her, effectively cheating on the husband, not realizing the bed she's getting in is not as nice and clean as she was hoping for.

I do NOT want this yuri couple to get together, but I do want her to get divorced and live her own damn life. Live the way you want, but don't drag people down with you because you're afraid to tell your parents "no"

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Existential Crisis of Yukako.

Nothing a good beating by her husband can't cure. /s.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

"Holy shit" is what I could think of the moment Yukako pressed her brain's nuke codes.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

Huh, story is moving faster than I thought. I'm used to stories delaying the big reveals for dozens of chapters, My Unrequited Love style.

You know, life is short, I'm down.

E1a622a074370732fc4a098daef9fabe
joined Mar 26, 2021

I have a feeling the husband will not react kindly... But dudes pretty miserable himself so maybe he will just be ok with it? yeah probably not...

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

The dude should have known from the start, they are sleeping in different beds. Hahaha.

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Oh shit. I am not sure I am ready for the rest. This shit is an anxiety supernova.

joined Mar 15, 2015

The dude should have known from the start, they are sleeping in different beds. Hahaha.

I've actually heard that this is relatively common for (happily) married Japanese couples to do, with only 29.2% of couples polled in the survey in the link below sleeping in the same bed.

https://tokyofamilies.net/2017/11/japanese-couples-sleep-in-separate-beds-seldom-kiss-each-other-but-many-are-happy-in-their-marriages-says-new-survey/

Then again, the article does have some things that strike me as rather surprising, such as how many couples never kiss; I'm aware that the Japanese refrain from public displays of affection, but I find it a bit odd that so many couples don't kiss at all.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's the case in a lot of countries that married couples don't sleep in the same bed.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

EDIT: There’s actually one more chapter and then an extra, sorry my bad

Also PSA for Yukako, and anyone else out there, DON’T HAVE CHILDREN TO TRY TO SAVE YOUR FAILING MARRIAGE. Honestly thank fuck she finally snapped, because if she had actually gotten pregnant and ended up trying to raise a child in that environment that’s really fucked up for the kid(s).

That whole wedding scene was super uncomfortable, and the fact that Yukako’s first thought was “how is a marriage without kids any different from a lesbian relationship” says a lot about where she was at. The only tiny thread still holding her heteronormative mask together was her “desire” to have children. A desire that she tried so hard to actually want, but when the time came for her husband to act on what she kept asking for, the thought of having a child with him literally made her gag.

I hope the epilogue gives us some kind of closure for each of these characters, and shows them all move on with their life. Let the guy find a job he really cares about, let Chinami find a girlfriend who will treat her right, and let Yukako get some therapy for all that internalized homophobia, and something she can be honestly passionate about, whether thats a relationship or something else.

I really don’t want Yukako and Chinami to get back together, too much has happened between them.

last edited at Apr 6, 2021 1:08PM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I've actually heard that this is relatively common for (happily) married Japanese couples to do, with only 29.2% of couples polled in the survey in the link below sleeping in the same bed.

https://tokyofamilies.net/2017/11/japanese-couples-sleep-in-separate-beds-seldom-kiss-each-other-but-many-are-happy-in-their-marriages-says-new-survey/

Then again, the article does have some things that strike me as rather surprising, such as how many couples never kiss; I'm aware that the Japanese refrain from public displays of affection, but I find it a bit odd that so many couples don't kiss at all.

Honestly I feel like a lot of people sleep on different beds just because it can be uncomfortable to sleep with someone, especially if they roll around a lot or something

To reply you must either login or sign up.