Forum › Vampire and Maid Yuri discussion

joined Jun 13, 2020

Never really understood the whole "being immortal is terrible" as if you couldn't find things to do and people to love being immortal for thousands of years.

I think the problem is being surrounded by mortals and not being able to relate to anyone anymore. Honestly, an immortal life would only be fun in a setting with space travel. One planet feels too small for an immortal, but being able to travel the galaxy without worry of life span would be neat.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

AnoymousYurIdentity posted:

@Nevri Really enjoyed ur text. Is see some vague paralleles to my own thoughtprocess about this topic.

Thanks! I'm not set in stone about everything and I'm open to discussing and adjusting my opinions. It's all just speculations and hypotheticals after all, since nobody ever experienced immortality or anything close to it, so we can't know how people would actually react. I just think there's much more to discuss and consider about it than simply dismissing entire thing as bad because of death of universe or because we, right now, can't imagine living so long. As I said, most people aren't aware or don't even think about our universe ending, so it's not something they consider when saying they want to be immortal, but I'm sure if they were they'd agree it's a problem that has to be addressed.

And its nice to see another fellow kurzgesagt viewer here

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but their video was recommended in comments of different video I watched, so I didn't see any of their other videos. I only saw that one ^ ^"

last edited at Mar 21, 2021 4:28PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Thats some final destination stuff with that Death scene

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

The tags warned me but the middle part still got me...I’m glad it ends with a happy ever after (literally) though!

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Okay. So don't scrub the carpets so clean they get slippery, and don't wear big crosses with very sharp pointy ends. Oh. And don't be delusional.

Ak12-an94
joined Mar 10, 2018

OMG SO SWEET!! ♥3♥ Eternal life is a cruel fate if you see all the people you love dying one after another. There's a lot to do and to discover that even eternal life won't be enough

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

ender357 posted:

Never really understood the whole "being immortal is terrible" as if you couldn't find things to do and people to love being immortal for thousands of years.

But if the world ended and the earth was no longer inhabitable there would be nothing to do.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

Great story. The evil maid being crucified was satisfying.

Just one problem. She complains throughout the story that she can't die; yet the story started with her desperately avoiding sunlight. SMH

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

She complains throughout the story that she can't die; yet the story started with her desperately avoiding sunlight. SMH

It just makes her weaker, it doesn't kill her. (Incidentally, that's just like in the original Bram Stoker's Dracula!)

Maxresdefault-1
joined Mar 24, 2021

thats a pretty stupid way to die

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

This is always a pleasant read, no matter how many times I re-read it. Such a fantastic story and art.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Old people in decent, or even not so decent, health, tend to still enjoy their lives. If 110 year olds have no particular desire to die, I don't think it's safe to assume that would be a common thing, especially with eternal youth and health.

Being the only immortal might suck in a way, especially if you have to keep it secret, but that's loneliness sucking, not immortality.

Likewise having to start a "new life" as part of secrecy could be annoying, but if you're regular at it then it's another chore like laundry, except a bigger and rarer deal; alternatively it might be an exciting new challenge, how to re-invent yourself this century. Either way, it's an aspect of a particular context of immortality, not immortality itself.

joined Jan 3, 2022

Old people in decent, or even not so decent, health, tend to still enjoy their lives. If 110 year olds have no particular desire to die, I don't think it's safe to assume that would be a common thing, especially with eternal youth and health.

Being the only immortal might suck in a way, especially if you have to keep it secret, but that's loneliness sucking, not immortality.

Likewise having to start a "new life" as part of secrecy could be annoying, but if you're regular at it then it's another chore like laundry, except a bigger and rarer deal; alternatively it might be an exciting new challenge, how to re-invent yourself this century. Either way, it's an aspect of a particular context of immortality, not immortality itself.

Living for 110 years is completely different from living for 10,000 or 1,000,000 or even 1,000,000,000 years.

Things would probs get tiring after years of dealing with it. Plus, technology advances, wouldn't someone find out sooner or later?
How would the government respond?

Immortality seems so bothersome and high maintenance, and like, life just wouldn't mean that much when you can't die? Maybe?

joined Jul 21, 2021

the counterculture "immortality is cool again actually" and its inverse are both primarily fought on 3 main fronts

Loneliness is awful; therefore eternal loneliness is worse, and it is fundamentally impossible to lose people and make new connections forever

eventually every planet you go to will be reduced to unusable inert dust and the entire universe will reach its heat death with you stuck floating there.

and lastly, and perhaps most debatable; the idea that our lives being finite is what gives them meaning.
the frankly asinine implication that an immortal lifespan would make all our accomplishments meaningless as we watched them crumble to dust in our hands. Artwork, family monuments all gone in a century.

I'm going to address that last one first because I think its frankly insulting to the concept of creation.
the argument goes (I think) that anything we make art or otherwise will lose all value by means of its language being forgotten and its pages/pillars/posts/prerequisites all being obliterated and lost to time would mean that it would be better to have never created in the first place, because there can be no "meaningful" changes in an infinite lifetime.

First off, this is wrong and anyone who makes this argument is also wrong, this point is not up for debate. the things we create and do are lost/forgotten in our own lifetime except for in the most literal sense of our cause/effect on this universe and second, to imply that action has no meaning beyond its function is to imply that things like reading and writing only exist for that short dopamine hit, that to write a poem and then burn its only copy would be a meaningless activity. I sincerely hope this argument stands for itself because if not the rest of this is going to be a tough sell

the second one is... correct-ish? I'd assume that the immortality in this hypothetical is irrevocable otherwise it kinda defeats the point and the obvious answer is just wait until a sufficiently advanced civilization frees you of your curse.
Barring that however, the universe will end but I don't think that anything that the theoretical immortal has to worry about?
If they're like kagu-moku getting sent into space wouldn't cause them to die and respawn indefinitely because they would run out oxygen in their blood in their sleep over, and over until they landed somewhere habitable.
Like a really bad cryosleep, they would wake up on some isolated star system with breathable air or that could never happen but either way no hair off their back.

Finally, the first point I made: loneliness is awful.
This one is admittedly hard. I'm going to exclude the theoretically valid "remove the pain of loneliness through brain surgery" option because if our immortal could do that they could probably lobotomize themselves and that dodges the question.

basically: yes loneliness is awful. One of the most awful things actually, and its easy to believe that after a while one would get sick of repeating that over, and over, and over however, I think its silly to imply they would give up on people "forever" I don't think thats possible. (until heat death, wherein idea 2 gets applied) but there's another option that people don't consider.

Immortality =/= perfect memory.

now depending on your perspective this might turn this from a defense of immortality into psychological horror but there is a likely chance that the immortal could live their life well into heat death without infinite suffering because they simply don't remember the million people they've met and promises they've made.
I'd argue that (in this instance) this is not only a good thing but the only way that living could function, we barely remember minor details throughout our lifetimes and ours are notable not infinite. An immortal would not only have nothing to gain from a perfect memory but it would actually almost guarantee that they could never enjoy immortal life without a literal unbreakable will.

TLDR: people give immortality too hard a time but it would be difficult as its life (which is hard but good) forever.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Seems like Paderapollo started a full serialization of this recently! I hope someone picks this up, the oneshot was great
https://storia.takeshobo.co.jp/manga/goshujinsamaniha/

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Think it depends on your emotional capacity... like what if you found people you loved but you kept outliving them? What if you lived for so many years that even when you pull up your journals and diaries you weren't able to remember them or the feelings you had during those events?

Outliving people you love can definitely feel like a burden. Time likely eases the pain, but i honestly can't imagine losing people again and again throughout my lifetime. Major survivors guilt if they didn't pass naturally too.

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

So the title is a complete lie, I felt betrayed and disappointed. 0/10

With that out of the way, the oneshot was pretty cool. If only it could achieve greatness by pacing itself a bit better. Sadly it had the usual oneshot issue of jumping too far ahead in a span of a page.

The first chapter of the serialization looks... Promising. It has a different approach to things. Clearly, the vampirism rules were changed since she was bitten but weren't outright changed. Unless the original had the same rule(s) and I just missed that. With so many characters (since I assume the ghost maids will be characters) around it's guaranteed to turn hectic and hopefully fun. The first two pages gave me a feeling like I was about to read a manhua (or however you spell it). Something about the way it was colored.

I'll nitpick and say that Matilda claimed that this was the only opportunity she had for work and when given 3 simple rules she immediately broke them. Clearly, she went full out on her curiosity disadvantage or just failed a normal roll.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I'm the only one here to find the death of the other maid stupid ? I mean, she got her neck impaled by her own cross necklace so not only the thing had to go behind her neck when she fall but had to be perfectly aligned with her neck and also be sharp enough to pierce though it. I know we talking about vampire so in term of realism, we're already out but come on.

it's symbolically god punishing her for her wickedness, for trying to take more than that which was given to her by god in her own words, and doing so ironically by puncturing her neck ass he had demanded the vampire do

possibly a bit over the top to include it in a comic that starts the way this does but criticising it for being unrealistic is the wrong way to view it

Yeah, she was a straight christian who shot a lesbian for the sake of a man. Being stabbed by a cross feels pretty poetic. It's like Final Destination for homophobes

To reply you must either login or sign up.