Forum › Ms. Kuzuryu's Favorite is Small discussion

B317d5337236dc7a4d6785c89a6164b7c373ff6av2_hq
joined Sep 16, 2017

Cool backstory

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

Using horizontal style speech bubbles to indicate that they're speaking English is pretty clever.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Wow, I can't believe hamster-chan just let them take pics of her massive dumptruck like that!

This manga has an animal for everyone, and that director is my spirit animal

Could you not mock my people by misusing the phrase "spirit animal" please?

That's not mockery, chill.

Madame_Firenze
76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

Is Kuzuryu a rokurokubi

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

Wow, I can't believe hamster-chan just let them take pics of her massive dumptruck like that!

Lmao now I’m imagining her posing for that pic in human form

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Urg, Shark Vader...

Still beats the Disney trilogy, tho.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Urg, Shark Vader...

Still beats the Disney trilogy, tho.

Ugh! Don't bring that debate here!

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

https://www.spiralnature.com/spirituality/spirit-animal-cultural-appropriation/

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Nice opinion-piece you linked there, still nonsense.
Someone using "spirit animal" as a joke on the internet doesn't stop you or anyone else from using the term properly nor does it negate the cultural significance and meaning it has to your people. Stop taking offense from something harmless just because you don't like it.

Please crusade for something constructive instead, like helping the poor.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

Tenchou is some kind of druid, confirmed.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

So, did anyone spot the other crossover?

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Ah yes. The crocodile. That most famous of small animals.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

To be fair, he is quite small... for a crocodile.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

To be fair, he is quite small... for a crocodile.

Most crocodiles are small until they get out of the swamp

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

The SW ref is reminding me of the ‘there are two of them’ joke, that’s exactly how Hana and the director were in the restaurant. I also love Tenchou and Hana’s first meeting, so Wholesome!

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Bird!

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

BoobTwinkler posted:

Nice opinion-piece you linked there, still nonsense.
Someone using "spirit animal" as a joke on the internet doesn't stop you or anyone else from using the term properly nor does it negate the cultural significance and meaning it has to your people. Stop taking offense from something harmless just because you don't like it.

Yeah, let's not do this. It might be a harmless joke but there are problems with this sort of thing. Most notably this:

Someone using "spirit animal" as a joke on the internet doesn't stop you or anyone else from using the term properly nor does it negate the cultural significance and meaning it has to your people.

Is in fact not true and the reason why people started getting pissy about cultural appropriation in the first place.

Also this was completely unnecessary and borders on violating rule #1.

Being overly aggressive, insulting, or generally a jerk is against the rules.

This part is easily construed as some condescending bullshit attempt to try and negate 2SpiritCherokeePrincess's point.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Yeah, let's not do this. It might be a harmless joke but there are problems with this sort of thing. Most notably this:

Someone using "spirit animal" as a joke on the internet doesn't stop you or anyone else from using the term properly nor does it negate the cultural significance and meaning it has to your people.

Is in fact not true and the reason why people started getting pissy about cultural appropriation in the first place.

You are entirely wrong. Just because an idea has an original meaning with the people who came up with it, does NOT mean that other people are not allowed to use the same word. Just because someone else uses a cultural word differently does not in any way shape or form hinder you, the original users, from continuing to use it in your way nor does it diminish your ability to do so. YOU are not being oppressed or forced to change anything at all.
Other people just using a word differently from the original users is not the same thing as forcing them to change it or taking it from them, acting like it is by default is ridiculous.

Also this was completely unnecessary and borders on violating rule #1.

It was not completely unnecessary because they are, in essence, crusading a stance on an issue that has nothing to do with this forum and requesting that another user conforms their interactions here to it, which is unbelievably rude.

I was simply making the point that if you're going to crusade your opinions on random things online, you're better off focusing your attention on doing something that actually makes change happen, such as physically helping poor people instead of shaming some random internet user for making a harmless joke.

I just didn't want to put it in quite so many words because it's too much text. (An effort wasted at this point.)

Being overly aggressive, insulting, or generally a jerk is against the rules.

You mean like randomly dropping by a forum thread exclusively to tell someone they're bad for making a simple inoffensive joke when it has nothing at all to do with the thread or the forum and it's, at best, a debatable claim even if it WAS relevant?
You know, literally shaming someone who just tried to bring a smile to people's faces? You don't think that's insulting and being a general jerk to someone randomly out of the blue?

This part is easily construed as some condescending bullshit attempt to try and negate 2SpiritCherokeePrincess's point.

Condescending? Not intentionally, but I'll concede it probably ended up that way and I'm sorry for the excess sarcasm.
I will however fully stand by my point that 2SpiritCherokeePrincess doesn't have a legitimate point in this context and is mainly at fault for showing up out of nowhere just to demand that another user conforms to their stance on an issue that is both debatable and entirely unrelated to this forum and thread.

It's rude, has no relevance to this discussion and essentially just invites a fight about the issue. Unintentional baiting, I would call it.

And to make clear; I have not at any point intended to imply that cultural appropriation does not exist nor that it does no harm, merely that the situation that ChrokeePrincess was reacting to here was not really a harmful example of such and therefor that their reaction was overreactive, misguided, unconstructive and rude.

Now, can we please get back to talking about the big-butt hamster yuri?

last edited at Mar 15, 2021 10:31PM

joined Dec 13, 2020

Now, can we please get back to talking about the big-butt hamster yuri?

Yes. Please.
Whether a group of people can appropiate two common words of the English language and forbid everyone else to use those words in any way but their own makes for an interesting discussion, but this is not the right place. Let's preserve the relaxed ambience of this forum as a haven for free and friendly talk.

last edited at Mar 16, 2021 5:09PM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Perogi Pet Shop would have been funnier.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

That was my first thought too, that they named the place after a food stall and that's hilarious!

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

That was my first thought too, that they named the place after a food stall and that's hilarious!

Perogi is some kind of eatery? I didn't know that.

Naming a pet shop after that would be like naming your pet dog Menchi.

(Old-ass reference nobody's gonna understand...)

last edited at Mar 17, 2021 10:49AM

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Naming a pet shop after that would be like naming your pet dog Menchi.

(Old-ass reference nobody's gonna understand...)

Perogi are eastern-European dumplings, generally about fist-sized, typically filled with some form of savory meat.

...A hamster or small bird would be about the right size. <:D

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BoobTwinkler posted:

Perogi are eastern-European dumplings, generally about fist-sized, typically filled with some form of savory meat.

Fist-size? That'd be 1 hella huge pierog. The ones I eat are usually around 5 centimeters big max.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

...A hamster or small bird would be about the right size. <:D

I'm really tempted to post that GIF again.

To reply you must either login or sign up.