joined Jan 13, 2018

What is the point of this tag..?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

primeElephant posted:

What is the point of this tag..?

To mark stories that use the omegaverse rules?

Image_4_ccb91292-b094-4c06-985b-82ce9a646547_700x-removebg-preview_100x100[1]
joined Jan 13, 2018

What is an omegaverse though

joined Mar 5, 2016

people are people but also some are "alphas" and some are "omegas". alphas are ultra horny and can impregnate anyone, omegas are ultra horny and submissive and can be knocked up by anyone. this is outside of the usual male/female thing so you got dudes getting pregnant.

big overlap with like werewolf fanfic or something, people go into heat and everything, also very big on incorporating characters from all sorts of shows.

it's odd taken as fiction but perfectly explicable when you realise it's just made to center a few kinks (mpreg, medically uncontrollable lust, domination/submission fex)

B317d5337236dc7a4d6785c89a6164b7c373ff6av2_hq
joined Sep 16, 2017

people are people but also some are "alphas" and some are "omegas". alphas are ultra horny and can impregnate anyone, omegas are ultra horny and submissive and can be knocked up by anyone. this is outside of the usual male/female thing so you got dudes getting pregnant.

big overlap with like werewolf fanfic or something, people go into heat and everything, also very big on incorporating characters from all sorts of shows.

it's odd taken as fiction but perfectly explicable when you realise it's just made to center a few kinks (mpreg, medically uncontrollable lust, domination/submission fex)

What the fuck

joined Nov 21, 2018

I always thought this was a yaoi/fujoshi thing....

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Would Love DNA XX qualify for this?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Goggled Anon posted:

Would Love DNA XX qualify for this?

No. Omega has specific rules. They're separate species alpha, omega and beta. Also in yuri version of omega, alphas have dicks.

joined Aug 28, 2016

It started out that way but then yuri artists got into it too. Even some big names like Mikanuji and Takemiya Jin have drawn omegaverse stuff.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

LilyBlack posted:

It started out that way but then yuri artists got into it too. Even some big names like Mikanuji and Takemiya Jin have drawn omegaverse stuff.

And there's het omegaverse too.

joined Mar 5, 2016

What the fuck

yes. it blew up for some reason. maybe it was just a matter of the right time and place for it? i guess all the supernatural fanfic writers needed to spice things up a little

joined Dec 18, 2020

Omegaverse just kinda creeps me out, even though I'm fine with stuff that I feel from an objective level is worse. I don't exactly know why.

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

didn't expect omegaverse to make it over to the western side of things, nice

Saki4
joined Jun 3, 2020

didn't expect omegaverse to make it over to the western side of things, nice

eh i've seen a lot of omegaverse in fanfics, though as for yuri images and comics, not so much

Saki4
joined Jun 3, 2020

that being said, the power dynamics of omegaverse and abo also creeps me out; i feel that it's just extreme misogyny but now men are included
whenever i read content with these tags, i always end feeling sick and angry idk
however, if people like it, i'm not stopping them

last edited at Mar 14, 2021 11:57PM

joined Dec 24, 2019

oh god i cant believe im finally an ""expert"" on one of these.

Omegaverse, or A/B/O, was originally a fanfic trope that started out in the Supernatural fandom at its peak. It gained vast amounts of popularity due to the Superwholock boom at the time.

The basic building blocks of Omegaverse were as follows:
-Huamns having a secondary sex, (Alpha, Beta, Omega) which determines their position in sex and how dominant they are. Alphas are the most dominant, Omegas the least, and Betas in the middle.
-Omegas go through a regular heat cycle that can (sometimes) be fixed after being dominated by one of the other Alignments. Alphas will fly into their own heat-like state after smelling the scent of an omega in heat, and cannot control themselves. Betas are not affected by an Omega's heat.
-Alphas have knots on the penis. I dont know why this was the one wolf anatomy thing they decided to keep but whatever.
-During sex, the dominant can mark their partner with a bite, marking the Omega as their mate, and keeping other Alphas away from them.
-Mpreg.

Since Omegaverse was originally created in a M/M dominated fanspace, there were never any specific rules on how this applied to female or intersex people, and the Beta Alignment was usually thrown off to the side in favor of an Uke/Seme dynamic.

Most works containing Omegaverse contain their own rules, as well as deviating from the original ones. What's important to remember is that this all started because some teenage girl decided her incest fic needed some wolf erotica.

Dynasty%20avatar
joined Sep 15, 2014

I feel that this trope has rapey energy. the Omega sometimes fights and the Alpha just about force themselves onto them. Or if not that, the omega is "weak" with her lust to be penetrated. It's very animalistic. Very dog behavior. Wolf. They can smell the scents of the other a mile away. Keen hearing. Have possessive instinct. Will fight other alphas to the death if there is competition. Force themselves onto the omega they desire. And finally biting them to mark them as property, that no one else can touch.

It's an acquired dynamic. But some would agree that it makes for very hot story telling.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Disgusting crap. I don't mind some supernatural dominance tropes, but this entire setting is a toxic pile of rubbish ... and bad writing. Blergh, blergh, blergh.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

kino posted:

-Alphas have knots on the penis. I dont know why this was the one wolf anatomy thing they decided to keep but whatever.

I guess some people find it/idea hot?

Since Omegaverse was originally created in a M/M dominated fanspace, there were never any specific rules on how this applied to female
Most works containing Omegaverse contain their own rules, as well as deviating from the original ones.

I randomly saw 1 omegaverse yuri doujinshi and at the end it had entire page explaining rules, so I thought they were universal, but it'd make sense that everyone makes up their own version of them.

last edited at Mar 15, 2021 8:03AM

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

I can't help feeling that, if it's just girl-on-girl, all of this background information is pointless and unnecessary. Especially if you have to include an entire page of notes explaining how exactly your Omegaverse differs from the other guy's Omegaverse, when all you really need to do is give one or both of them a penis and let things follow their natural course.

7a067e9e6fb1c92210174e64e9f1e23d
joined Jun 19, 2013

The F/F omegaverse is actually really interesting because I know a ton of nb wlw use it to deal with gender dysphoria (raises hand), Supercorp ABO fanfics especially. I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea and it can be badly done (Omegaverse Sisters, etc), but it's actually really been a balm on my soul. F/F omegaverse also seems to be much less rapey and if there is rape in the story it's usually very "we know we're here for the noncon kink we're not kidding ourselves".

I guess some people find it/idea hot?

For me it's the idea of being intimately linked to a partner and also because ABO knotting is meant to keep semen inside the receiving partner (ala reality) / usually coincides with increased fertility. I'm in that early-30s biological clock phase and the idea of making sure your semen stays in so that your gf/wife can get pregnant is insanely hot..

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

The extent of my knowledge about omegaverse comes from those two Lindsay Ellis videos. Those are great.

Lbeingrllygay
36002568_1838354376215521_8722944858664206336_n
joined Jan 21, 2019

no fucking way. when did this happen.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

In the immortal words of Color_LES, creator of Mage and Demon Queen, "Yeah, it's good. I like how they poop child in omegaverse."

joined Dec 30, 2018

In the immortal words of Color_LES, creator of Mage and Demon Queen, "Yeah, it's good. I like how they poop child in omegaverse."

omg when did she say it?? do you have the link or smth

To reply you must either login or sign up.