Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

The comedy tag is for the unintentional comedy that comes from how overwrought the dramatic scenes in this manga are.

ParasyticGhoul
Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

Bye guys cya in 3 weeks

I hope it's just 3 weeks again.
Thanks translators-sama for the fast delivery!

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

So, that prediction I made after the last chapter turned out to be WAY off the mark, but oh well. Gonna be honest, Aki was the last character I expected to help progress the plot after last chapter, but I think it fit pretty well. Now adjust wonder how the mean girls are going to fit into all of this. I’m hopeful they’ll manage to redeem themselves by helping to push the main couple back together, but...

Oh boy, time to finally tackle Kurokawa’s whole inferiority complex thing. It’s about time that finally got brought into the light. Also, I get why some folks are calling Kurokawa’s whole but this chapter a bit over dramatic, but honestly, I thought it was a pretty fitting depiction of a grade-a mental breakdown.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

may be a good idea to change some of the series' tags so people know what they're getting into

you can suggest tag changes for moderators to approve. im not sure the entire series deserves the aaaangst tag, but we will see what the consensus is as the series continues.

joined Feb 22, 2018

I don't think you guys are quite grasping the gist of Kanade's perception of her relative position to Nanaki. It's not that she has some deep seated psychological trauma that gives her fatal self doubt: as far as I've seen she's rather ordinary. Rather the problem is that she idealizes Nanaki too much, to the point of perfection. She treats her like an angelic figure in a Renaissance painting, seated at the right hand of the Almighty with her face covered in a halo, while a Cherubim passes the mashed potatoes to her. When she tells her that she doesn't deserve her, she's telling her she belongs on an art gallery wall to be similarly idolized by a worshipful throng. And she lacks the selfishness to seize that portrait for herself, as she's too much of a conformist. Defusing this situation will take every gram of Nanaki's tact and empathy to resolve.

last edited at Mar 6, 2021 8:11AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I suspect this'll sting a lot more for readers just coming off that recent If You Could See Love chapter where love trouble between two girls who don't think they're worthy for each other because of their social status gets solved in one chapter. But then again, as the scanlators say, this outcome does fit the context laid out throughout the series.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I don't think you guys are quite grasping the gist of Kanade's perception of her relative position to Nanaki. It's not that she has some deep seated psychological trauma that gives her fatal self doubt: as far as I've seen she's rather ordinary. Rather the problem is that she idealizes Nanaki too much, to the point of perfection. She treats her like an angelic figure in a Renaissance painting, seated at the right hand of the Almighty with her face covered in a halo, while a Cherubim passes the mashed potatoes to her. When she tells her that she doesn't deserve her, she's telling her she belongs on an art gallery wall to be similarly idolized by a worshipful throng. And she lacks the selfishness to seize that portrait for herself, as she's too much of a conformist. Defusing this situation will take every gram of Nanaki's tact and empathy to resolve.

This is certainly part of it to an extent, but she does also have a problem with her self-worth stemming from having been told since young that she's unfit to become a princess. Even after Fujishiro's makeover and being recognized as being just as beautiful by others, inside she's still the same little girl who resigned to play the horse for the rest of her life.

last edited at Mar 6, 2021 8:43AM

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

Damn just stab her in the heart then twist it why don’t you.

I wonder how nanaki will react, she didn’t straight out reject her via “no gay with you for me please” instead she says what she said which implies she probably likes her too but she has a inferiority complex. Which could be worked when. However then she went on to say she wished they were never friends to avoid this outcome so like damn nanaki what’d are you gonna do?

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

This is certainly part of it to an extent, but she does also have a problem with her self-worth stemming from having been told since young that she's unfit to become a princess. Even after Fujishiro's makeover and being recognized as being just as beautiful by others, inside she's still the same little girl who resigned to play the horse for the rest of her life.

I know there’s symbolism and all that but getting to the princess in your sentence made me laugh.

joined Apr 29, 2018

So I guess going by this logic it isn't really a good thing, but... honestly my thoughts were "hell yeah, bring back the glasses!" haha

i understand this feeling.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I know there’s symbolism and all that but getting to be the princess in your sentence made me laugh.

Well, it is quite literally the word used in that first case that became the source of her trauma due to the play, and the word she constantly uses to describe Fujishiro.

last edited at Mar 6, 2021 8:55AM

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Damn.

Imgonline-com-ua-compressed-x85kp90svyulj
joined Jul 21, 2017

Finally they played that card!!! I was waiting this shit. Now give me some popcorn, I'm gonna watch some useless ̶l̶e̶s̶b̶i̶a̶n̶s̶ princess.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Never seen someone self-destruct that hard. Holy SHIT!

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

p.s. the proofreader message at the end is not from me. usually, the only people i tell to go fuck themselves are bigots.

Just let the proofreader know, then, that a hell of a lot of us subscribe to his opinion.

Chibi%20flustered%20shizuku%20giving%20eris%20a%20bento
joined Jun 19, 2020

I’ve been waiting for this but I just never knew when it would happen. Hopefully they can help her realize that she isn’t inferior, that she’s deserving of being loved, and help her have more confidence in herself and not put herself down. They also have to worry about Nanaki’s friends possibly spreading rumors and stuff. Thank you so much for the translation! Can’t wait for the next chapter!

Download
joined May 10, 2016

Noooooooo this is so sad I'm crying QnQ it hurt so badly to see them being this much hurt QnQ

Hqdefault
joined Sep 13, 2020

"See, now that's some bullshit" - Nick Fury

joined Jun 30, 2016

wow kurokawa its such a imbecile, just wow...

Ak12-an94
joined Mar 10, 2018

Did... Did she really just say it? Omg

joined Dec 13, 2020

Shattering tropes: the manga!

This time, we shatter the trope where one character says "Suki!" or "Suki da!" (which means "I love!" but doesn't specify who or what) and the other character thinks the first one means they love rainy days, or evenings, or pastries, or kitties, or any other thing around them.

Or thinks the first character is using the word "suki" with a different meaning (it seems there's a lot of stuff in Japanese that can be said with "suki" and some of these meanings are very rude and aggressive).

Or understands that yes the first character does mean "love" and yes is telling it to them, but thinks that the love at issue must be friend-like love or sibling-like love or parent-like love.

In this chapter, one girl says "Suki!" and the other one, next time they are alone, demands an exact explanation of the meaning of this declaration. Because she's prudent and levelheaded and absolutely doesn't want to get it wrong.

In this way, no misunderstanding is possible. Trope: shattered.

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

Shattering tropes: the manga!

This time, we shatter the trope where one character says "Suki!" or "Suki da!" (which means "I love!" but doesn't specify who or what) and the other character thinks the first one means they love rainy days, or evenings, or pastries, or kitties, or any other thing around them.

Or thinks the first character is using the word "suki" with a different meaning (it seems there's a lot of stuff in Japanese that can be said with "suki" and some of these meanings are very rude and aggressive).

Or understands that yes the first character does mean "love" and yes is telling it to them, but thinks that the love at issue must be friend-like love or sibling-like love or parent-like love.

In this chapter, one girl says "Suki!" and the other one, next time they are alone, demands an exact explanation of the meaning of this declaration. Because she's prudent and levelheaded and absolutely doesn't want to get it wrong.

In this way, no misunderstanding is possible. Trope: shattered.

I kinda understand what you're saying but I'm still confused on the trope shattering part. What do you mean by trope: shattered?

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Because she's prudent and levelheaded and absolutely doesn't want to get it wrong.

Are you really going to call her level-headed after this chapter?

I kinda understand what you're saying but I'm still confused on the trope shattering part. What do you mean by trope: shattered?

Most of the post you just read describes the classic trope of misunderstanding 'suki'/'like' means because of the nuances of the language. The trope itself is played straight when there are misunderstandings--for either comedy or drama.

But instead of letting the misunderstandings play out, Kurokawa was confrontational about it. That "shatters" (ie: denies/breaks the flow of) that misunderstanding trope.

Does that help?

joined Jan 24, 2021

Man, I was just waiting for her to blow up. There’s a lot of people going “haaahhhh” and getting all tired of it but... isn’t this what we’ve been building up to? All the hints dropped? Then we get the explosion! Yes!

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

I thought things were wrapping up nicely, boy was I wrong. Goddamn just when I thought they were making some good progress... Well progress is still progress I suppose. 2 steps forward 1 step back you know what I mean?

last edited at Mar 6, 2021 11:46AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.