Forum › It's a Detached Relationship. discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Haruki: "It feels like I'm doing something really messed up."

LOL Ya think?

I'm usually not a fan of emotional-trainwreck yuri, but I'm kinda loving this one. I just hope the "who's a good person" readers don't blow a gasket trying to identify the admirable moral center character in this situation.

(❋⊙‿⊙❋)
Blastaar-san, did I mention that you write the bestest posts? 'cause you do.

Thanks—I’m glad you think so. I seem to do best with those who share my “stories as artistic constructions” orientation as opposed to the “stories only as transparent windows into the lives of imaginary human beings” readers.

I have enough real-life people to get pissed off about without adding any fictional ones to the queue.

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

Forgot to post this earlier, but... typo on page 16 fixed.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

LOL Ya think?

I'm usually not a fan of emotional-trainwreck yuri, but I'm kinda loving this one. I just hope the "who's a good person" readers don't blow a gasket trying to identify the admirable moral center character in this situation.

If someone is searching a good character, they have picked the wrong manga. The only good character so far is the male teacher and i don't think he is suposs to have much importance beside for Mochida.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

LOL Ya think?

If someone is searching a good character, they have picked the wrong manga. The only good character so far is the male teacher and i don't think he is suposs to have much importance beside for Mochida.

People do seem to have an easier time just sitting back and reveling in an “everybody’s messed up” story when it’s a fantasy world or a thriller. As long as bad choices keep leading to interesting scenes, I say keep ‘em coming. (Or not, as with Haruki this time out.)

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Well I'll be damned

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This is getting better and better.

Everyone gets messed up, it's like an unstoppable train wreck.

I love it.

joined Sep 4, 2016

This is going to end really badly for someone. Scissors in the neck kind of bad.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This is going to end really badly for someone. Scissors in the neck kind of bad.

In a nice boat way I'd say.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Egh, I know all the characters here are supposed to be sick one way or another, but Haruki doing the deed while Aya quickly crawled like a spider to her room to catch her in action is just ridiculous and hilarious. It removed that knot in the stomach feeling I usually have when reading this story.
The characters have sunk so low, that the story feels like the Scary Movie version of a horror movie.

last edited at Feb 22, 2021 11:36AM

joined Feb 18, 2015

LOL Ya think?

I don't know... Aya's mother is probably not totally messed up... she's just clueless about how messed up her daughter is. But... also not very important...

last edited at Feb 22, 2021 1:34PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Egh, I know all the characters here are supposed to be sick one way or another, but Haruki doing the deed while Aya quickly crawled like a spider to her room to catch her in action is just ridiculous and hilarious. It removed that knot in the stomach feeling I usually have when reading this story.
The characters have sunk so low, that the story feels like the Scary Movie version of a horror movie.

Worst part is that she didn't do a backflip (or frontflip) like in Sakura trick while jumping.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Worst part is that she didn't do a backflip (or frontflip) like in Sakura trick while jumping.

You need two girls for that.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ah right, yuri physics are only possible with active yuri

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 17, pg 16, "It's to late" -> "It's too late"

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

wtf was this chapter....lmao

joined Aug 29, 2019

LOL Ya think?

People do seem to have an easier time just sitting back and reveling in an “everybody’s messed up” story when it’s a fantasy world or a thriller. As long as bad choices keep leading to interesting scenes, I say keep ‘em coming. (Or not, as with Haruki this time out.)

I did not read the entire discussion up to this point, but I want to get my opinions and thoughts out in the open and off my chest, because I've been having so much fun with this.

1. Blastaar writes the bestest posts I've seen on the entire forum. I'll gladly echo White Rose in that regard.

2. Yep, Hosonocchi-sensei is the only one I'd describe as a "mostly functional human being that's not actively hurting those around him" (barring Mochida's unrequited love, but he's completely unaware of that). Honestly, though, there's great destructive potential Hosonocchi, too. Just needs a little push in the wrong direction and he'll go off the deep end, just like the others. He also isn't much of a moral center, given that, out of all the named characters, he's the furthest removed from the center.
    Haruki's attempt to be a knight in shining armor fell flat on its face and she came out just as broken as the others. Her dignity's pretty much in the gutter. Aya will probably try to control Haruki the same way Sei did with her.
    Speaking of which, Aya's discovered that topping and being dominant does indeed give her some sense of empowerment. Great. Unfortunately it seems to manifest in an unhealthy way. Welp.
    Sei's probably an utter mess now, in every regard. I'm so curious to see where she's at right now.
    Mochida's infatuated with her teacher so much that she'd destroy another teacher's life to just keep that person away from him, her own chances be damned. And now she's both traumatized (to an extent) and fascinated by Sei's assault on her.
    Wow, just... wow.

3. All (five?) other named characters have serious issues in some way or another and they just keep breaking in new and exciting ways. Is this the fascination that villains like Bondrewd from Made in Abyss feel when they perform their messed up experiments? It's okay if we do this with thought experiments, right?
    I did not expect to get a gleeful grin, to laugh and get all giddy with every messed up twist, but I'm loving this.

4. I love the character development for most of the cast so far. Both Aya and Sei as well as their relationship are fascinating(ly fucked up). They mirror the high school Sei+Yoru-dynamic so much that I involuntarily ended up reading at least Yoru with the voice adult Sei has in my head. Then there's the shift in the dynamic between Aya and Sei, which I would trace back to the very moment Aya took charge in bed for the first time. In terms of her acting as well as how she's being portrayed she really changed in that moment. We've seen what it led to, she's on the verge of repeating the cycle for the third time, though I have a feeling that the resistance has grown with each cycle.
    They're all so morally grey. Sei, for example, was being such a manipulative b!tch in the beginning and her actions were absolutely condemnable, while at the same time having that crazy obsession with Yoru she just can't cope with. That can't excuse her behaviour, but did keep me interested and sympathetic to her failings. Now she's apparently pretty wrecked, I'm curious to see what's currently going on with her.
    I just don't know which character to root for in this series! They're all so cute and endearing in their own way. They all need cuddles, but I'm so looking forward to seeing how much worse it will get for them before it gets better.

5. The horny is so strong with this manga. I love it. An Ecchi manga where people actually do stuff instead of repeating ye olde "eek they saw me naked, better bonk them really hard" routine, and not only that, it is all tied into the story and makes fucking sense (literally!). I'm not used to "serious"/Drama-Ecchi, only comedy.

Also the art is amazing. I particularly love Aya's character design and style, though I'd say her waist looked disproportionately narrow in her first full body shot (chapter 5, page 8).

Granted, this is my first serious foray into "emotional-trainwerck yuri", so I'd wager many of the "tropes" are still fresh enough to work for me and not just make me sigh. Still, I think I chose a strong entry point, because I've been superbly entertained ever since I discovered it... yesterday. Now I've seen the release schedule. FUCK (is it okay to cuss in the context of this particular series?)
I'm so looking forward to watching Scum's Wish once the dub is out for legal streaming in May, I expect similar levels of broken from it. Please don't crucify me for that statement.

last edited at Feb 22, 2021 10:01PM

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

Thus manga really showcases how limited we are in terms of genre we have when it comes to yuri. Almost every yuri manga, especially in yuri hime, is just overly dramatic and filled with angst. I'm good with a few of them being like this but it just feels like almost every yuri manga is like this. I'm starting to feel like authors believe should should be nothing but drama and more drama.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Thus manga really showcases how limited we are in terms of genre we have when it comes to yuri. Almost every yuri manga, especially in yuri hime, is just overly dramatic and filled with angst. I'm good with a few of them being like this but it just feels like almost every yuri manga is like this. I'm starting to feel like authors believe should should be nothing but drama and more drama.

There are a few out there, but stories without drama don't sell as much as stories with drama. Yuri Hime and such are commercial products. What do you expect?

It's like how in the news they never report that a train arrived on time.

Yamada to Kase-san is an example. There's very little drama (or quickly solved), but there's always a bit of it to keep the readers interested.

And it's not as if lots of gay people don't have issues in reality. Because we live in a society.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Not gonna lie, the last few chapters did feel quite a bit more melodramatic (in wording and presentation) compared to the initial volume. Meh. Still fun.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

I mean, I agree in principle that there's definitely too many overly dramatic things out there, but I feel like there's way more overly fluffy things out there these days albeit with some light drama sprinkled in like Nya-chan said. I generally don't like yuri drama when it's just completely out of the blue, but this has been built up over a while and I'd say this one is pretty unique since there are not many yuri manga out there that depict genuinely fucked up relationships like this one does... maybe stuff like Happy Sugar Life and all, but yeah (if there are any more, please point me toward them!)

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

maybe stuff like Happy Sugar Life and all, but yeah (if there are any more, please point me toward them!)

The Feelings We All Must Endure
Bokura No Hentai
Happy End (lol)

joined Aug 29, 2019

I generally don't like yuri drama when it's just completely out of the blue,

You mean like "so we're kinda getting to the point where we can overcome the big hurdle we've had and are on the cusp of finally being honest and good to each other, OH NO, here's a new character just in time to cause new drama and delay the current development"?
Yep, that tends to be annoying, especially if it drags on. If it gets resolved quickly to demonstrate how our characters have grown it can still be a good element, but I guess that's not what usually happens.

Thankfully this manga seems to be playing the long game in that regard rather than trying to pull out ever-unexpected new plot devices from out of nowhere. There's plenty of messed up drama to deal with as it stands, no need to keep adding to it. Yoru's visit may have been sudden, but she'd been introduced as an important character early on, so it's kinda only natural that she would come into play sooner or later. May even have had to, we'll see how Sei copes with her apparently leaving for good this time. I'm a bit worried that she might still come back once more, what with the divorce and all. Would be a testament to Sei's corrupting influence.

last edited at Feb 23, 2021 9:15AM

Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

It's always a joy when a new chapter of this drops, hell yea

joined Mar 24, 2021

i can say this whole series is the best for "student x teacher" genre. the romance plot is also interesting, never saw like this before. keep up the good work flowerchild!!

There will be a new chapter this month.

To reply you must either login or sign up.