Forum › A Love Letter for the Marching Puppy discussion

joined Aug 8, 2020

Yea drop out of the military and elope to the countryside!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, in that case, it seems it was an order from someone who doesn't like them being too close, for whatever reason.

Also, as long as it's not to commit a crime, a soldier indeed has to obey orders without discussion.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

"It is your job to figure out what lies behind an order..."

Ah so that is why Japan lost the war.

They won WWI

Yeah, this manga does take place at some unspecified point between the end of the Russo-Japanese and the beginning of the First World War. And Japan won both.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

They won WWI

Yeah, this manga does take place at some unspecified point between the end of the Russo-Japanese and the beginning of the First World War. And Japan won both.

Back to my original point—in real life an Indou would probably lose a few teeth for asking her question, to be further beaten up and ostracized by her squad mates for shaming the unit, and both Ooba and Kagami would most likely be in for some punishment for failing to train Indou properly as well.

The only real sign that this Japanese military runs according to an Imperial Rescript is that they keep quoting one.

last edited at Jan 24, 2021 8:07AM

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I think it basically translates as “Shut up and obey the order. If you can’t figure out the reason for it, that’s your problem.”

Which is not exactly a great thing. She does not even have the information to understand the order. How is that going to teach her anything? They are students so shouldn't the "teacher" explain the orders so the students understand why the orders are issued?

joined Mar 19, 2020

I think it basically translates as “Shut up and obey the order. If you can’t figure out the reason for it, that’s your problem.”

Which is not exactly a great thing. She does not even have the information to understand the order. How is that going to teach her anything? They are students so shouldn't the "teacher" explain the orders so the students understand why the orders are issued?

Ya but she’s probably not sure either so she’s just saying that to keep up authority or something.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Ya but she’s probably not sure either so she’s just saying that to keep up authority or something.

Very much so. The teacher’s response in the story is the mildest possible reaction that would still be in line with the cultural values of the Japanese military (and, it’s worth noting, it’s pretty much the harshest rebuke we’ve seen in the story—in a real-life such setting Indou would at least have been undergoing harsh physical punishment all along if she were not already kicked out in disgrace.)

People have been pointing out all along the enormous distance between the ideology of the storyworld presented in this series and the actuality of the Japanese early-20th century military—rigidly hierarchical, paternalistically authoritarian, masculinist (a school for female military officers is beyond fantastical), and quite often extremely physically violent from superiors to inferiors in rank.

Questioning authority, and superiors justifying their orders to a subordinate, are both very, very close to the top of the list of Things That Simply Are Not Done.

(Don’t get me wrong—I love this story and think the characters are adorable. But the attempt to fit the values of this storyworld into a version of the historical time period leads to some very weird disjunctions.)

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I just found Kagami a bit dumb to not understand or at least have a little clue about who is behind the change.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

(Don’t get me wrong—I love this story and think the characters are adorable. But the attempt to fit the values of this storyworld into a version of the historical time period leads to some very weird disjunctions.)

In the end it is just a setting for the story to happen in. A very modified setting that resembles our modern world values more then any 100 years old ones.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

In the end it is just a setting for the story to happen in. A very modified setting that resembles our modern world values more then any 100 years old ones.

Well, of course. But given the givens, there’s always going to be a major case of Hogan’s Heroes Syndrome sending out values interference around the edges.

joined Mar 15, 2015

This chapter makes me wonder if Iindou would be better off just quitting, since this isn't the first time she's had trouble with military discipline (complaining about Kagami in a letter comes to mind). She doesn't seem to be like the sort to follow orders without questioning them, and I can foresee her trouble with this part of military life only getting worse with time.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This chapter makes me wonder if Iindou would be better off just quitting, since this isn't the first time she's had trouble with military discipline (complaining about Kagami in a letter comes to mind). She doesn't seem to be like the sort to follow orders without questioning them, and I can foresee her trouble with this part of military life only getting worse with time.

But remember, there's been this (rather muted) theme that she's actually an ace in the field, implicitly tied to her rough and tumble upbringing, as well as being physically brave and wildly charismatic. Remember, she'd sooner eat a snake than run from it, and her first impulse was to stand her ground against the boar.

I've been expecting some kind of situation that would bring those qualities to the fore and impress her superiors.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Well, of course. But given the givens, there’s always going to be a major case of Hogan’s Heroes Syndrome sending out values interference around the edges.

I take back the Spanish inquisition inquisitors suggestion and replace it entirely with Hogan's Heroes' Nazis

But what ARE we supposed to make of the storyworld? Combat and deployment don't seem relevant other than they're other places where romance can be found. There's a kind of pride in being a proper soldier. There's a relatively stricter hierarchy than non-military girls schools, but it's still tame. Basically, I don't feel like I'm being invited to consider or judge any of the military aspects of the story. I guess what I'm asking is, what is the setting doing for themes or story? It has to be more than just a vehicle for the plot

Edit: looks like you answered some of it above

last edited at Jan 24, 2021 5:09PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

But remember, there's been this (rather muted) theme that she's actually an ace in the field, implicitly tied to her rough and tumble upbringing, as well as being physically brave and wildly charismatic. Remember, she'd sooner eat a snake than run from it, and her first impulse was to stand her ground against the boar.

I've been expecting some kind of situation that would bring those qualities to the fore and impress her superiors.

And even without that, the whole reason she came here is that she quite literally had nowhere else to go.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But what ARE we supposed to make of the storyworld?

That’s been an open question from the very beginning of the story—among the primary things it seems to accomplish are:

• Make for some sharp tsundere action—nobody does tough love like a non-commissioned officer

• Cute outfits—the skirt and boots are quite adorable

Combat and deployment don't seem relevant other than they're other places where romance can be found.

But the combat is definitely real enough—Russian-san lost her lover and was wounded in battle herself, so it’s not all just girl-crushes and snacks (not that there’s anything wrong . . .).

Again, my point is not a complaint about the setting, just noting (as it seems you are also) the weird vibes the historical setting puts out in relation to a fairly fluffy story.

joined Dec 13, 2018

clearly the fluffy ahistorical femininity and relative softness is just to kill us into complacency for the first mustard gas attack

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Don't they look fine in their full-color uniforms on the cover!

joined Jan 27, 2021

I just read this manga... at Ch 21 (latest in English in the site that Im reading it).. but because of the simplicity and lightness of the story, Ive searched the remaining chapters in google...eventhough I did not understand the language, I just browsed the comic strip... this is how I appreciate it

joined Feb 5, 2021

omg国外也有人在翻译这个!它已经完结了,哎

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Kagami holding Indou's hand......SO BOLD AND LEWD @w@

joined Mar 15, 2015

I find it interesting that when Iindou asked Suzuka about the reason behind the order, she got chewed out, but when Kagami asked the Major about the order, the Major actually answered the question. I wonder if it was because of how Kagami phrased her question, or who she asked.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

To me it seems like Toyooka is just very soft on cadets. Probably part of her popularity comes from her being a Chill Commanding Officer.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I find it interesting that when Iindou asked Suzuka about the reason behind the order, she got chewed out, but when Kagami asked the Major about the order, the Major actually answered the question. I wonder if it was because of how Kagami phrased her question, or who she asked.

I think the difference can be explained by the pretty obvious fact that Kagami’s mom was some kind of significant figure when she was in the military, so Kagami (who, until she went ga-ga for our puppy, also seemed to be an exemplary soldier) gets the kid-glove treatment herself.

On the other hand, no one except Kagami and her mother seem to be aware of Indou’s connection to the apparently legendary Chiyo (Indou’s mom), and Indou is just a raw recruit at the bottom of the totem pole anyway.

Who Chiyo was, what happened to her, and what her relationship was with Kagami and her mother are the outstanding mysteries of the series. (Well, we assume Indou had a father as well, but this seems to be a yuri world where males do exist, but don’t matter to the story very much.)

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I'm thinking Chiyo was in love with Indou's Mom, and clearly Indou's Mom is straight or forced to be. Maybe both were forced to be. Chiyo held back Indou's Mom in battle, and it's her fault such a good soldier died. So she sees the same romantic feelings and wants to stop it so Indou can be a good soldier, and Kagami won't get hurt like Chiyo did.

I'm actually hoping this isn't the case because it's so cliche and predictable it hurts. Life kinda is cliche and predictable though.

last edited at Mar 1, 2021 6:13PM

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

It's getting really suspenseful...

To reply you must either login or sign up.