Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Although, didn't VE have a german publication ? Wonder how they will translate that ?

You mean, besides correctly?

I mean the german part of the chapter

I don't know what you're even trying to ask. Why would a German publisher translate the German part into anything?

I don't know if you're really don't understand what i meant or you're just trolling me.The whole dialogue in german won't make sense in german because well, they were already speaking in german. Here it make sense because it's in english and in the raws because it was in Japanese and Mask-senpai talk to Kaoru in a foreign language but if the foreign language she is suposs to use is the same as the language in which the manga is translated, that kinda lose its purpose. I don't know if it's really clear.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 10:24PM

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

If you're asking how are they going to make it clear that she's actually speaking in German, most of the time there's a different font used, or a note on the page, or both. That's how actual publications I've seen in English go about it. I'm just assuming the publishers who do German localization do something similar.

last edited at Dec 28, 2020 12:06AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's not a stupid question, because some publishers, when there is a part in their own language, choose to translate it into some other foreign language, like French or Spanish, so as to keep the thing "natural" instead of adding notes. It happens. Maybe less now, since most readers by now learned to read in the right-to-left Japanese mode, so publishers are trying less hard to please a "large" public, because the connoisseur public has become a lot larger.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

IIRC, in Azumanga Daioh the bits that were originally in English were rendered into Spanish, which felt strange to me, but probably only because French was the default foreign language when I was at school. A German publisher might well change the German into English, though to preserve the feeling of the original it should probably be something the readers would find a bit more obscure. Japanese would be weird, though.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

In the Azumanga Daioh English localization, the English is...in English, but in a different font and with a footnote. The reason Kaoru learned German in the first place is because of the time she spent with a German foreign exchange student. Changing that part of the story and having her speak in an entirely different language when they could just put the German in a different font and/or include a note seems pretty unnecessary, but it's ultimately up to the publishers. I think it would be pretty cool for German readers if they knew she was speaking their language.

last edited at Dec 28, 2020 9:29AM

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

so guys have you all knew right from the start MahiMahi aren't twins? is it just me who got it just recently?

I think it was when we discovered they are pseudo twins and have different last names

well I'm only 155 chapters late
could be worse.. or not ))
thanks)

joined Jun 28, 2018

Kaoru fuckin kills me, lol...

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

In the Azumanga Daioh English localization, the English is...in English, but in a different font and with a footnote. The reason Kaoru learned German in the first place is because of the time she spent with a German foreign exchange student. Changing that part of the story and having her speak in an entirely different language when they could just put the German in a different font and/or include a note seems pretty unnecessary, but it's ultimately up to the publishers. I think it would be pretty cool for German readers if they knew she was speaking their language.

It seems I recall incorrectly. I found one page where Osaka speaks Spanish, but that's because a foreigner spoke to her... in German. Must have been some other manga with a school setting. I'll get back to you when I've re-read everything on my bookshelf; it shouldn't take more than twenty years at the outside.

I also failed to recall that Kaoru had a specific reason to know German, as opposed to (say) Swahili... Yes, probably best not to change that, in case it becomes an important plot point later on. You never know.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I also failed to recall that Kaoru had a specific reason to know German, as opposed to (say) Swahili... Yes, probably best not to change that, in case it becomes an important plot point later on. You never know.

I'm already counting chapters until when we'll be introduced to this friend.

It's also a curious parallel to Honoka and Elisha - the Yamada sisters seem to be similar in unexpected ways. :P

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Ahh, the lewds be back

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

Ahh, the lewds be back

No Uncensored Nipples tho, like before

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

In the Azumanga Daioh English localization, the English is...in English, but in a different font and with a footnote.

There are two localizations of the Azumanga Daioh manga, so you're both right:

1. The ADV publication of the manga converted the English in lessons into Spanish, and
  2. The Yen Press omnibus used the quoting / different font in English (although I think the localizers cleaned up the English a little bit).

I think the former is less confusing to readers who don't spend all their time reading manga, and the latter feels more authentic to readers well-versed in manga conventions. Based on what little I know of European tendencies when localizing stuff, I would expect them to follow the Yen Press approach.

In other news, Ai and Chie have come so far since the beginning of the story. Ai's Yankee image is completely at odds with how sweet and romantic she's become.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

There are two localizations of the Azumanga Daioh manga, so you're both right:

1. The ADV publication of the manga converted the English in lessons into Spanish, and
  2. The Yen Press omnibus used the quoting / different font in English (although I think the localizers cleaned up the English a little bit).

The YP Omnibus is the one I have. I let my dad borrow it a few years ago, and he liked it and said it was really funny. This from a man whose main focus in reading is spirituality and history. It definitely has a kind of universal appeal, I think, and is a great gateway into the manga world.

Anyhoo, back on topic: Three Squeals for Ai's fantasy dream! Make it come true, baby!

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

Nice color page :)

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I think both dreams will come true.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Question and I am honestly asking: how is Ai no longer a useless lesbian anymore?

joined Dec 5, 2019

Question and I am honestly asking: how is Ai no longer a useless lesbian anymore?

I think now she aknowledges that she wants to fuck Chie's brains out instead of going "oh! What is this? Why id my heart beating so fast!?....what could be this feeling?!?!?!"

Unnamed
joined Sep 11, 2019

Those colored pages are a kindly touch to the hear
Come to think of it, Chie wanted to touch Ai's boobs first, they relationship sure have grown

last edited at Jan 16, 2021 3:57PM

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

NaruZombie posted:

I think now she aknowledges that she wants to fuck Chie's brains out instead of going "oh! What is this? Why id my heart beating so fast!?....what could be this feeling?!?!?!"

I see you are a person of culture

joined Jul 21, 2020

The op has a point. It's ok to realize/accept your desires, but until you act on them you're still useless.
The touchstone for determining the graduation from uselessness is sex; surrogates like wet dreams or shlick-shlick usually don't count.

last edited at Jan 16, 2021 4:03PM

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Akiji posted:

The op has a point. It's ok to realize/accept your desires, but until you act on them you're still useless.
The touchstone for determining the graduation from uselessness is sex; surrogates like wet dreams or shlick-shlick usually don't count.

The useless lesbian is by definition the lesbian that is interpreting everything as a sign of friendship.
More than this is just plain lesbians.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

What a lewd first dream

Who is the top tho?

B317d5337236dc7a4d6785c89a6164b7c373ff6av2_hq
joined Sep 16, 2017

A

Buzzstyle
joined Feb 10, 2013

VE Couples Sex Predictions:
AixChie: They will be the first of the main couples to be shown having sex.
AyanoxMiyoshi: They will realize they love each other but say nothing for fear of ruining their friendship.
MichiruxAiri: Already having sex.
HonokaxEllie: Second couple to be shown having sex. Honoka will top.
KanaexHaruka: Confess and kiss before graduation, sex after graduation.
YuuxMari: Already having sex.
MidorixHibiki: No confession. No sex.
MahiruxMahiro: Will have sweet candy-coated sex. Move to US, get married, will still be lovey-dovey when they die together age 104.
NaoxOniba: Oniba will encourage Nao’s exhibitionism. Oniba will become a famous mangaka, Nao will be her lover and muse.
NonononxYumimi: Sex before graduation, Yumimi will be a devil in bed.
KaoruxMask: They will become a couple with a public perception of Kaoru=top and Mask=bottom, but in the bedroom it will be reversed.
ShizukaxMio: Will soon have sex, Mio will learn she loves to top, and Shizuka will learn she loves to bottom.
ShizukaxKaoru (former relationship): They were fuckin’.

Chie and Ai will switch! And I am solely basing that on the picture we got.

To reply you must either login or sign up.