Forum › A Handsome Tanned Girlfriend Who's Easy to Please discussion

20220104_023724
joined Feb 11, 2013

After reading it again it seems that there are more signs for them liking each other but not being in a relationship (yet), especially after this chapter
So yeah classic gal pals ;)

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I really like that she made the concious decision to become handsome and worked at it to achieve it, it's nice

best imaginable setting for Training Montage

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

Body dysmorphia isn't very cute.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

But I mean the name of manga means they are a couple right?

The translator took a bit of liberty with the title. The original title described her as "女子", which simply means "girl".

On the other hand, it explicitly says it's yuri, so there's nothing to worry about.

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

C8 was quite wholesome <3

Psx_20210526_201147
joined Jun 5, 2019

this series just insulting , girl DONT need be a man to love other lady, so burn in hell

joined May 11, 2018

Um what

Body dysmorphia isn't very cute.

Agree 100%. This chapter is fucked up.

joined Oct 27, 2018

How did some of y'all come away from reading this and think she has body dysmorphia? Simply changing your look is not body dysmorphia.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Yeah, a haircut and deciding to get fit is pretty far off from actual body dysmorphia. That being said, only doing it because you think the person you like will only appreciate you afterward is rather problematic.

A
joined May 24, 2013

This sucks. She should be handsome because she enjoys it, not because of some weird complex.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

She wants her crush to find her attractive, thats normal.

Is this a new age internet Troll?

last edited at Jan 3, 2021 8:05PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah, a haircut and deciding to get fit is pretty far off from actual body dysmorphia. That being said, only doing it because you think the person you like will only appreciate you afterward is rather problematic.

It sounds exceedingly normal to me. How many yuri stories feature adolescent characters changing their look, style, or affect to match up with the style or preferences of the person they like?

It’s not like she’s cutting herself or becoming a heroin addict in order to impress her crush.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

It’s not like she’s cutting herself or becoming a heroin addict in order to impress her crush.

I really want to know what kind of person would be impressed by either of those things

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I really want to know what kind of person would be impressed by either of those things

People who are into cutting or are heroin addicts.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

It sounds exceedingly normal to me. How many yuri stories feature adolescent characters changing their look, style, or affect to match up with the style or preferences of the person they like?

Yes, people do all sorts of things that they wouldn't ordinarily do in order to make their object of affection notice them, and society does consider it normal. That doesn't change how problematic some of these things can be, especially when they're related to superficial things like appearance.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yes, people do all sorts of things that they wouldn't ordinarily do in order to make their object of affection notice them, and society does consider it normal. That doesn't change how problematic some of these things can be, especially when they're related to superficial things like appearance.

“Can be problematic” (or, depending on the particular situation, can actually be helpful to a person’s self-esteem, whether the crush responds positively or not) is, as you said, a hell of a long way from “100% fucked-up body dysmorphia.”

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

A child or adolescent trying an image change to be noticed isn't that different from, say, picking up a hobby, for similarly "superficial" reasons. It doubles as experimentation with what kind of a person she wants to be. With moderation, I think this is pretty harmless. This kind of negotiation between wanting to be something that others like, and wanting to be authentic, is something everyone has to deal with, and a 3-page Twitter mini manga should not be expected to unpack all of this.

I would add that Kaho's girlfriend calls her cute in the present. Whether this is the same girl from Kaho's childhood, or not, this implies that she doesn't just see Kaho as a prince-replacement (though the chapters before should have proved this), so the whole relationship doesn't entirely hinge on Kaho's looks.

last edited at Jan 11, 2021 1:31PM

Trappista_cheese_original%20(1)
joined Apr 10, 2020

Well, this is kinda depressing

last edited at Jan 4, 2021 6:53AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I think you missed the point entirely. Blastaar will correct me if I am wrong, but what he was likely driving at was that she is not doing anything harmful or even that radical to herself, and thus her choices hardly merit to be called "problematic". Getting a haircut is completely normal, and adopting a moderate workout regimen is actually beneficial for her health.

last edited at Jan 4, 2021 7:27AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think you missed the point entirely. Blastaar will correct me if I am wrong, but what he was likely driving at was that she is not doing anything harmful or even that radical to herself, and thus her choices hardly merit to be called "problematic". Getting a haircut is completely normal, and adopting a moderate workout regimen is actually beneficial for her health.

Bingo. And thanks.

And furthermore, the implicit idea in the term “problematic” that a person should “be who they are” rather than change themselves according to the standards of others is undercut (to some extent) by the fact that one major job of teenagers is to find out “who they are,” which inevitably entails experimentation with style, personal affect, etc.

The original invocation of “body dysmorphia” ignored the fundamental idea behind that concept: that the dysmorphic person finds that their attitude toward their body or physical features causes them distress and hinders their functioning in the world.

I doubt that I’m unique in being able to think off the top of my head of a half dozen people, in high school and later, who undertook major makeovers (physical and otherwise) and seemed considerably happier for it. And, to be sure, a couple who changed for the worse (hence my cutting and addiction examples).

To return to the story, we’ve seen more than one example of yuri stories where girls felt forced into the “prince” role in high school because of their physique or natural affect; this may turn out to be one of those. And there is a somewhat restricting attitude about gender roles when girls are praised for being “manly,” etc. But I don’t think the concept of “body dysmorphia” gets us anywhere near what’s happening in this story, at least so far.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

My point with the "problematic" angle was really only if she thought there was no other way her crush would like her other than to change herself - which actually does seem to be the case. Experimenting with looks or behaviors is fine if it's of your own volition, but doing it solely because you think you won't be accepted for who you are can lead to even more problems later in life with identity and codependency issues. "She won't love me if I'm not a prince" seems pretty clear that she's convinced her crush would have zero interest in her otherwise. I'm sure this thought isn't actually true since this is a sweet story, but it is affecting her decisions and can't be easily dismissed as irrelevant.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

My point with the "problematic" angle was really only if she thought there was no other way her crush would like her other than to change herself - which actually does seem to be the case. Experimenting with looks or behaviors is fine if it's of your own volition, but doing it solely because you think you won't be accepted for who you are can lead to even more problems later in life with identity and codependency issues. "She won't love me if I'm not a prince" seems pretty clear that she's convinced her crush would have zero interest in her otherwise. I'm sure this thought isn't actually true since this is a sweet story, but it is affecting her decisions and can't be easily dismissed as irrelevant.

No, your basic point is certainly right. But I think it’s also important that in adolescence “who you are” is a concept that’s inherently in flux, and it’s not so easy (or sometimes even necessary) to parse out the difference between changes “of your volition” and changes made due to the expectations of others.

I can think of a couple of classmates who needed (and now that I think of it, one of them later made) a significant upgrade in personal hygiene in order to meet “the expectations of others.”

I know there have been at least three or four other “reluctant prince” stories on Dynasty, but I have not the brainpower at the moment to recall which ones they are.

Sawyerboredsquarebkgdoutline250
joined Nov 14, 2018

And here I was thinking this girl was mixed race, but no, she's just incredibly tanned and did so for this other girl's attention. Don't really know how to feel about this one any more. I'm half Black Caribbean half Causasian myself and I thought I was finally getting some representation :(

Pooooog103139
joined Nov 12, 2020

oh well, dynasty forums being dynasty forums are usual

To reply you must either login or sign up.