Forum › The Heroine's Capture Target is... discussion

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Kirin - this is a one shot so no next chapter. Unless you mean of the anthology- i.e the next story?
If this is indeed an anthology of Isekai yuri, which it seems, then They are all gonna have that element I guess.

It's not a fundementally bad thing imo. The fact your MC comes from earth lets you do a lot of stuff you couldnt otherwise - and some stuff is much easier to do like relating your readers to the MC etc- I dont think it means the writers all think the MC has to come from Japan etc- and at least in part is probably just because isekai are so popular they think they need the concept.

My only problem with it is if they dont DO anything with it- or just the same old things. Like in this story, it was an irrelevance. If you are gonna do Isekai, at least make use of it in the story in some interesting ways!

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 11:15AM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

I'd love it if there were more translated isekai yuri novels, but tbh I don't really see enough of them for me to feel anywhere near tired of it. Is there any sites that host any Japanese web novels anyone knows of? I usually read Chinese web novels from jjwxc and there's toooons of yuri isekai-adjacent novels but I genuinely don't think I've seen many Japanese isekai ones that aren't gender bender.

I'm not sure just how popular it is, but https://syosetu.com/ seems to be the main Japanese web novel site - its where I Favor the Villainess was originally posted, probably alongside other light novels. Searching "Yuri + Isekai" got me 744 works, though I haven't read them at all so I can't comment on the quality.

joined Mar 22, 2020

Wholesome...
If only katarina & maria would end up together...
But katarina will end up with the boring prince.
Always the same shit

Rsz_0642646002c7e23a9b0c50ea92cc124d_2
joined Jul 26, 2020

I'm not sure just how popular it is, but https://syosetu.com/ seems to be the main Japanese web novel site - its where I Favor the Villainess was originally posted, probably alongside other light novels. Searching "Yuri + Isekai" got me 744 works, though I haven't read them at all so I can't comment on the quality.

Interesting... I'll check it out once I finish reading the CN novels I'm currently reading. The best thing about web novels compared to comics is that you can google translate instead of waiting for a translator to pick it up. The quality of the translations are definitely sketchy, but they make sense for the most part so I recommend it for anyone who thirsts for good yuri.

Also an interesting thing I noticed is that villainess redemption plots are really popular with yuri fans regardless of whether they're in Japan or China cause there's a lot of those. Most of the popular CN transmigration novels I read have something to do with a villainess and I Favor the Villainess was the same. Based on the titles of the works I'm seeing right now, there's a lot of that on syosetu too. Guess there's just something about villainesses that attract lesbians...

joined Jan 5, 2020

Ahhh... Sugar :3

Img_20190130_105529
joined Jan 29, 2019

計画通り :D

joined Jun 11, 2016

cliché

In what way? Ignoring the irrelevant isekai mention.

Is there a single other story on the site with the same premise? Or even close?

Yes, actually. Several.

My Next Life as a Villainess and I Favour the Villainess

The first one is a harem, that will obviously end with a HET ending if you read the damn novel. It's fucking yuri bait ffs.

The second one is literally the only one that is a true yuri isekai manga/novel.

Also, since when did several mean just 2 series? List at least 5 series that is truly yuri that use this trope then that's several.

And yes, the isekai trope is overused, but it isn't common in yuri series. Stop calling things you don't like cliché people.

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 1:03PM

Cromartie%20highscool
joined Jun 7, 2014

I remember seeing something similar but it was a knight with a protagonist, really wished there was a doujin on that...

joined May 29, 2019

nice, but that prince was making some hella ugly expressions bro

joined Jul 8, 2019

I will echo the sentiment that the ending that basically says "oh btw the reason I'm so cunning is because I played videogames in my previous life" feels extremely out of place, anthology or not.

You are not alone in that echoing. The "all according to keikaku" moment is sweet, but the "lol gamer" was cringeworthy

Screen%20shot%202020-07-16%20at%209.34.01%20pm
joined Mar 25, 2020

f

joined Jul 22, 2014

Nice though Nelly looks a bit wild with her hair flying all over the place.

joined Jul 4, 2015

Who's the cover by?

joined Apr 16, 2020

Its great but- what was the point in the sudden Isekai pop up? It had zero baring and played no part in the story?
It all worked perfectly fine without mentioning it. In fact it just needlessly comlicates a simple, good, story idea.

Seemed very odd to suddenly just throw in a couple of irrelevant panels that are like 'btw its Isekai'.

If you removed the couple of bubbles that mention the idea the rest all plays out the same-

2 girls in a fantasy setting are in love- to get the prince to annul his engagment with one of them, the other sutbley gets his attention without blatantly encouraging it so he will cast the first girl aside in favor of her- turn the arrogant fool down, and then they can both run off together back to her kingdom.

There is just no need or impact of the 'btw Isekai' ?

Agree, the isekai part ruined it for me.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

cliché

Yes, actually. Several.

The first one is a harem, that will obviously end with a HET ending if you read the damn novel. It's fucking yuri bait ffs.

The second one is literally the only one that is a true yuri isekai manga/novel.

Also, since when did several mean just 2 series? List at least 5 series that is truly yuri that use this trope then that's several.

And yes, the isekai trope is overused, but it isn't common in yuri series. Stop calling things you don't like cliché people.

There’s also “Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady,” which is definitely gay. And cool.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Where if anywhere can you read those 2 translated?

last edited at Nov 4, 2020 9:57AM

joined Feb 18, 2015

cliché

Yes, actually. Several.

But I don't recall any of those where the "heroine" concocted a plan, in advance, to woo away her love interest's fiancee so he would break the engagement and free the two of them to be together and move back to her home country. That is actually a wonderful twist and not a cliché story at all. It is possible to use tropes and subvert them or use them in novel ways without being cliché.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Thats what i was saying too. The 'story' is nothing like those 2 vns AT ALL. You cant call it cliche just because it mentions isekai nonsense and is yuri fantasy- thats just the setting.

last edited at Nov 4, 2020 2:11PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

^ Where if anywhere can you read those 2 translated?

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady is just one series with an absurdly lon title (like a lot of web novels and light novels). The light novel can be read here, and the manga version is already on Dynasty.

13320157_522707027938643_73759181_n
joined Mar 31, 2018

Yes YES I LOVE THIS

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Norainhere Thanks for the link to the web novel. It says its based off the LN - I will assume thats not translated?

So the LN has 2 volumes, the web novel 204 chapters and is finished- shame the english is only up to ch 13- this will take a few years to finish i guess and I already want to read it all right now lol!

Why don't web novels and LNs like this and i favour the villainess ever get made into anime?? They would be way better than most of the rubbish they put out each season.

last edited at Nov 5, 2020 8:28AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Why don't web novels and LNs like this and i favour the villainess ever get made into anime?? They would be way better than most of the rubbish they put out each season.

I'm almost certain that I Favor the Villainess will get an anime. YagaKimi sold a million copies and the anime BDs also did quite well, and considering the decided uptick in yuri-show adaptations after that (AdaShima and Urasekai Picnic in less than six months?!), I'm pretty sure studio execs have realized that there's a fanbase out there for yuri that's willing to pay good money. All you really need is one really good anime adaptation that sells- Yuri on Ice, for instance, led to a decided uptick in yaoi anime adaptations, with Given this year and Umibe no Etranger next year, also propelled by a general softening in Japan's attitudes towards openly LGBT content.

This is a double-edged sword, of course, because money-hungry studio execs tend to run potentially lucrative ideas into the ground, giving us stuff like Assault Lily Bouquet, which might be the most cynically pandering attempt to create yuri for straight men that I have ever seen, since they constitute a much larger market than lesbians (HoloLive, incidentally, is also guilty of this). Still, as long as they're adapting from good source material, of which there is a metric ton, I think we'll be seeing a decent rise in excellent yuri anime in the next decade. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

This is a masterpiece

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

@Norainhere Thanks for the link to the web novel. It says its based off the LN - I will assume thats not translated?

No, some of the light novel is translated. Chapters for that can be read in the section labeled “Latest Release”.

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

The prince is pretty hot though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.