Forum › Stretch discussion

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Oh wow, how awesome would it be for Takemiya Jin to do Stretch fanart?

Soft moaning here.
Ahem, sorry.

Anyway, for those who think Shou cares about what people on this forum want; it's the japanese readers that make his money, not us. But then, if you feed the comments on his webpage to google translate the words lesbian and lily pop up. So not only Takemiya is interested.

I bet comments there are similar to the ones here.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Oh wow, how awesome would it be for Takemiya Jin to do Stretch fanart?

Soft moaning here.
Ahem, sorry.

Anyway, for those who think Shou cares about what people on this forum want; it's the japanese readers that make his money, not us. But then, if you feed the comments on his webpage to google translate the words lesbian and lily pop up. So not only Takemiya is interested.

Just putting it out there that I wasn't talking about Shou caring about the fanbase on Dynasty, but in Japan. I'm not stupid enough to expect he'd even know this site exists.

Which web-page are you referring to, his blog? Because that doesn't even appear to have a commenting function...? If you're talking about the dedicated Yawaraka Spirits page, though, there are certainly some references to yuri in the comments, but only a very low proportion - less than twenty in one thousand entries (I was simply searching for the term itself, so more subtle allusions would have escaped me). Those who do refer to it generally mention it in the context of "this feels yuri", "this chapter was particularly yuri", "it'd be nice if there was more yuri", and "I thought it was yuri, but it wasn't"... So basically yes, the same as us. Interestingly, I did a search on Twitter, again looking for explicit mentions of yuri, and found a much higher proportion - around 10% (18 or 19 of about 145) of the tweets seemed to contain the term, despite the fact that a large number were "blank tweets" containing only the default tweet text, without any further commentary. The reference frame I used was from present back until November 8th, since that's as far back it would allow me to go.

It's certainly not enough to say that a majority of the readers are looking for yuri in it, but we know at least that there are Japanese fans out there seeing the same things we are, and that those tweeting about it are more interested in the yuri than those on the site for whatever reason.

Also, yuri manga-ka and active doujinshi-ka Kitao Taki tweeted about the mildly infamous chapter 25, jokingly calling it a 'special for those who like yuri (?) lol', so Takemiya's definitely not the first yuri creator who's interested...

last edited at Nov 4, 2014 7:06PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Just a general assumption about how it was received.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

I wonder to which extent the Japanese artists are actually ignorant about the fans outside the country? I mean, yeah of course it's in English.. not to mention they are less likely to pay... but this could still be valuable feedback, interesting ideas, etc. So what are the odds Akili reads this thread? Is it really that close to 0 as we think?

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I wonder to which extent the Japanese artists are actually ignorant about the fans outside the country?

There is - surprisingly - some degree of ignorance surrounding scanlations (referring to the final question), but I think it's safe to assume many artists are aware of their overseas fanbase, and to some degree the places they gather.

Of artists featured on this site, two that stand out in memory are Dowman Sayman, who's re-blogged numerous translations of his work on tumblr, and Ogu (loli warning) has re-tweeted translations of his work and also gave the scanlation group's logo a cameo appearance in one chapter. There are other pretty cool instances of this, but I can't think of them at the moment.

There are more than a few artists who display a decent grasp of English on twitter/pixiv, and they seem to at least know of sites like danbooru or MAL.

I mean, yeah of course it's in English.. not to mention they are less likely to pay... but this could still be valuable feedback, interesting ideas, etc. So what are the odds Akili reads this thread? Is it really that close to 0 as we think?

It's still probably pretty close to 0. I'm sure he's a busy person!

last edited at Nov 5, 2014 6:01PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Given Takemiya Jin is active on Twitter, I'm sure she's aware that there are a lot of Western fans following her work. Certainly she'd be seeing a lot of non-Japanese names following her.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Ogu (loli warning)

At first i was all: why does loli need a warning?
then i realized which manga this guy makes, i need more brain bleach now.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I wonder to which extent the Japanese artists are actually ignorant about the fans outside the country?

There is - surprisingly - some degree of ignorance surrounding scanlations (referring to the final question), but I think it's safe to assume many artists are aware of their overseas fanbase, and to some degree the places they gather.

Of artists featured on this site, two that stand out in memory are Dowman Sayman, who's re-blogged numerous translations of his work on tumblr, and Ogu (loli warning) has re-tweeted translations of his work and also gave the scanlation group's logo a cameo appearance in one chapter. There are other pretty cool instances of this, but I can't think of them at the moment.

There are more than a few artists who display a decent grasp of English on twitter/pixiv, and they seem to at least know of sites like danbooru or MAL.

That's true, but you've got to admit that while they may be aware of the existence of scanlations to some extent, the idea that they would know this specific site - which, let's face it, is probably not all that well-known among people who aren't interested in yuri - is a bit unlikely to me. "Decent grasp of English" must also be qualified: I've seen people replying in English, but the responses are rarely long enough to display anything beyond a very basic knowledge of the language. And I can't think of any instances which involved slightly more complex ideas, either. Naturally, levels vary, but on the whole the Japanese education system has been rather poor at teaching people English.

I mean, yeah of course it's in English.. not to mention they are less likely to pay... but this could still be valuable feedback, interesting ideas, etc. So what are the odds Akili reads this thread? Is it really that close to 0 as we think?

It's still probably pretty close to 0. I'm sure he's a busy person!

You can probably guess what I'd say judging by my earlier comments, but I think it's next to zero. Even if he did know of this website, even if he did know of this thread, I really doubt he'd be reading through forty-five pages of messages written in a language he is likely to be fairly unfamiliar with. It would take too much time and effort to do so.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

More like totes. And in Keiko's case, the spicy curry seemed to have lost its spiciness after that phone cal

omg. I laughed so hard at this.
Actually though. Keiko seemed like she was fishing for an excuse to call

^those goggles are awesome.

And wow, the yuri got dangerously close to canon this chapter. "There you go acting like it's none of your business", huh? Now just why would it be Keiko's business? And then when Keiko doesn't seem to get what Ran's implying, Ran hangs up quickly, as if her feelings were hurt.

^ this

Wow, that was hard core. I mean, they got her drunk and pliable and then two of them were stuffing their meat into her at the same time while she ineffectually moaned "Not all at once..." and the onlookers got all hot and aroused by the intense action.

Well, when you put it like that ...

fans self
I thought this too though.
Random question: That doesn't seem like a formal reunion. It's not the school funded type, I think? Cos those usually happen every 10 years, right?

Also, to whomever who brought up the whole "first thing Ran did was check her phone and then she immediately got on a bullet train back home to Keiko": Yes. Thank you for pointing that out.

joined Nov 30, 2011

As a great eeerrr master of the force once said, "the yuri is strong with this one." Maybe in the next few chapters we will finally see the yuri awakening.

Norae
joined Oct 16, 2014

I'm starting to discourage the evolution of their relationship.
Too much time

Norae
joined Oct 16, 2014

anyway funny as always

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I curse the shortness of the chapters each and every time.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

hahahahaha, I'm curious how this is going to be translated from Japanese. I'm sure there's a play on words: yuurei (ghost) vs yuri. And the word mame for "beans" might as well have a naughty meaning xDD
The possible indirect kiss via a juice bottle was nice! Although I don't quite get what's Ran exactly talking - it's as if she repeats the phrases from some juice commercial.
And it's now 3rd of February... 11 days till something awesome happens. Chapter 29? Or chapter 30?

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Boon's translation is up, he is amazingly fast. But not a very interesting chapter. Ran must be a masochist though; another spanking.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, we might soon need a bdsm tag. XD

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Just putting it out there that I wasn't talking about Shou caring about the fanbase on Dynasty, but in Japan. I'm not stupid enough to expect he'd even know this site exists.

Sorry didn't mean to be impolite or personal.

Which web-page are you referring to, his blog? Because that doesn't even appear to have a commenting function...? If you're talking about the dedicated Yawaraka Spirits page,

That's the one. Never tried to find his blog as computer translation from Japanese is as good as useless.

though, there are certainly some references to yuri in the comments, but only a very low proportion - less than twenty in one thousand entries (I was simply searching for the term itself, so more subtle allusions would have escaped me). Those who do refer to it generally mention it in the context of "this feels yuri", "this chapter was particularly yuri", "it'd be nice if there was more yuri", and "I thought it was yuri, but it wasn't"... So basically yes, the same as us.
Interestingly, I did a search on Twitter, again looking for explicit mentions of yuri, and found a much higher proportion - around 10% (18 or 19 of about 145) of the tweets seemed to contain the term, despite the fact that a large number were "blank tweets" containing only the default tweet text, without any further commentary. The reference frame I used was from present back until November 8th, since that's as far back it would allow me to go.

It's certainly not enough to say that a majority of the readers are looking for yuri in it, but we know at least that there are Japanese fans out there seeing the same things we are, and that those tweeting about it are more interested in the yuri than those on the site for whatever reason.

Well then at least he knows what is expected of him :)

Also, yuri manga-ka and active doujinshi-ka Kitao Taki tweeted about the mildly infamous chapter 25, jokingly calling it a 'special for those who like yuri (?) lol', so Takemiya's definitely not the first yuri creator who's interested...

Now if he just puts a Paypal donation button on his site, he might get interested in his western readers :)

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Ran is such a troll xD

joined Nov 14, 2013

How the hell does this series have 1100 frickin comments???

Ran for #BestONI2014

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's very complicated, tied in with the Earth's magnetic field although sunspots do have an effect.

joined Apr 6, 2013

Because we are all masochists waiting for the hit that will never come, but the torturous waiting is almost as good.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

It's very complicated, tied in with the Earth's magnetic field although sunspots do have an effect.

Also heard the occasional solar flare and magnetic pull of Jupiter does something as well.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

..........I am interested in the spanking.

To reply you must either login or sign up.