Forum › Parallel World discussion

joined May 24, 2015

Well, that was something.
Real interesting on how the "spell" was basically a monkey's paw-like situation; where the simple wish had very serious unknown consequences from being wished upon (aka killing Nico's dream)
Very interesting read!

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Wow really refreshing take using the gender bender concept. I really liked how the message wasn't really about whether or not Maki would love Nico as a man or a woman, but about how changing Nico's sex affected an important part of her life because of society's rules for men and women. I enjoyed it!

joined Oct 27, 2020

I know people probably won't like this one because "Het" and all that, but I thought it was cute. I'm a little confused as to whether or not the whole thing was supposed to be a dream, or if it actually happened and everyone forgot. The "confession" at the end was very nice as well.

Villains
joined May 1, 2015

I thought this one was pretty weak. It mixes the two issues of "male Nico can't be an idol" and "male Nico is the wrong fucking sex" in order to sidestep the question of whether the swap was a good thing. Obviously it's a bad thing if it destroys Nico's dream, but what if Maki's wish wasn't so stupid-malicious and made her into a man without killing her dream? Male idols already exist, even.

I dunno, seemed like a very shallow and weak exploration of the concept.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Not pictured: Girl Nico being transported to the other world and meeting boy-band Muse, hilarity ensuing.

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

Wait, can't boys be idols??

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

At first I was hesitant from the tags and the first page but in the end I think it was a good read.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

They can, I mean just take a look at K-POP boybands, although alot of people still think that being an idol isn't very "masculine" for a man, even though it's 2020.

joined Oct 27, 2020

They can, I mean just take a look at K-POP boybands, although alot of people still think that being an idol isn't very "masculine" for a man, even though it's 2020.

Maybe its implying he can't be a part of Muse specifically, since they are a female group? However, I do remember reading a previous genderbend doujin where Nico was both male and part of Muse, so idk.

Yuriisthebestest
joined Sep 4, 2020

The last panel I wonder what happened?

identification-projection-preheterosexuality
Please%20actually
joined Mar 13, 2018

Come back, zinc! Come back!

Tumblr_inline_mnt4g3zxm31qz4rgp
joined Jul 23, 2017

They can, but it's not exactly the same? For example there isn't really a strong cute image male idol group while there are lots of the like in female idol groups like Twice (Guy groups can have cute songs but it's generally not their image if that makes sense). Mixed gender idols groups are also not taken very well by the market, since it ruins the "purity" of members and similar nonsense. If Nico was a guy and in muse the fans would most likely hate him for ruining their all-girl paradise

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

So, I think it actually happened, they just don't remember it because of whatever power that made it happen. I think Nico's last line at the end implies she's aware of what happened?

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

Maybe its implying he can't be a part of Muse specifically, since they are a female group? However, I do remember reading a previous genderbend doujin where Nico was both male and part of Muse, so idk.

That's how I took it, it's less about Nico not being able to be an idol and more about not being the idol he wants to be.
I'm all for cute boys but not everyone thinks the same.

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

Yeah, I thought in BTS, so when I finished reading this I was like: ???
Well that's K-POP, but is it the same in J-pop??

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

Cute boys are the best

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

That's how I took it, it's less about Nico not being able to be an idol and more about not being the idol he wants to be.

It's definitely about Nico being unable to be part of a group with a cutesy concept like muse since society would never accept it. I think coming form Nico's perspective he sees it as something that's just a dream that would never come true since it's looked heavily down upon so he's sad about it, I guess it's why he's so happy to dance and sing with Maki in this because it's the closest he'll ever get to his dream coming true in this universe.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Wait, isn't their school an all girls school?

Img-0219%20(1)
joined Apr 7, 2020

Wow, this took me back to 2015 where I was obsessed with LL. Genderbender concepts are usually so poorly-done, but this made me actually feel something.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I love it when genderbending explores gender. Like, they can’t be as affectionate as they want because it’s a wlw relationship, but at the same time they get to both be in that idol group together and be accepted that way. It made her question which thing was more important, and how gender roles hold people back from their dreams in different ways.

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Oh wow this was really good. I didn't expect this from a love live doujin im glad I read it i normally steer clear of most maki x nico because most of them are so repetitive.

joined May 30, 2015

yuri gender bender yay

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

They can, but it's not exactly the same? For example there isn't really a strong cute image male idol group while there are lots of the like in female idol groups like Twice (Guy groups can have cute songs but it's generally not their image if that makes sense). Mixed gender idols groups are also not taken very well by the market, since it ruins the "purity" of members and similar nonsense. If Nico was a guy and in muse the fans would most likely hate him for ruining their all-girl paradise

I like that you typed this with the username you have.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

I'm not sure I like the insinuation that the only way for them to be able to be lovey-dovey in public is...for them to be a heterosexual couple. Like it's out of the question for the wish to make it so same-sex couples can show affection in public without worry. Maki's like, "I killed her dream", but she didn't wish for Nico to become male at all. Idk, I know that's probably not the point, but that's just the vibe I got.

last edited at Nov 1, 2020 1:17AM

934c158f-6d10-4800-a176-151cb1c96d1b
joined Dec 23, 2019

I don’t watch Love Live, but if I’m not mistaken they go to an girls only school right? Does that mean that with Maki’s wish (dream) even the setting changed? Wow.
Anyways I really enjoyed this.

To reply you must either login or sign up.