Forum › Citrus + discussion

joined Jan 11, 2018

So... once again we readers are left to form conjectures on how Matsuri suddenly has a baby bro AND WHY.

Her parents had sex :v

Again

I-is THAT how is babby made? :o

How is babby formed? How girl get pragnent?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The booby lady... :D

Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

Haha, cute little bro. Don't leave him alone!

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

So... once again we readers are left to form conjectures on how Matsuri suddenly has a baby bro AND WHY.

Again

I-is THAT how is babby made? :o

How is babby formed? How girl get pragnent?

I thought babies came from storks :00

joined Oct 21, 2020

So... I took a look at the comments and there are readers saying that Harumin and Matsuri have zero/negative chemistry???

I'm guessing that there's a lot of stuff lost in translation or wasn't translated correctly to give off the same nuances as the original Japanese comic?

I don't usually read scans, I'm just here to compare the translation with the original. It's... translated fairly differently... some contexts were cut out to fit the conversation into the speech bubbles and others were lost in translation. And I think that might be why some readers seem to think there's no chemistry between them. There's alot of reading between the lines in Japanese even because when it comes to Matsuri and Harumin they are implied to have A LOT of interaction 'away from camera', like hanging out together (alone) and texting each other regularly. But in English with the context removed or translated wrongly, I see why most people say they have no chemistry.

In 30th June the last few panels where Harumin remembers Matsuri saying "all prez does is magically solve things from afar..." is actually a mistranslation. This scene is Harumin remembering Matsuri's words in that scene from June 21st "People who've only used magic to heal from a distance..." and is actually a jab at Harumin, and while it's not the whole reason, it ends up being one of the reasons it propelled her to be the one to visit Matsuri instead of leaving it to Yuzu and sitting on the sidelines as usual.

In other words, the first time Harumin has decided of her own will to get involved in something 'troublesome and Matsuri related'.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

In 30th June the last few panels where Harumin remembers Matsuri saying "all prez does is magically solve things from afar..." is actually a mistranslation. This scene is Harumin remembering Matsuri's words in that scene from June 21st "People who've only used magic to heal from a distance..." and is actually a jab at Harumin, and while it's not the whole reason, it ends up being one of the reasons it propelled her to be the one to visit Matsuri instead of leaving it to Yuzu and sitting on the sidelines as usual.

In other words, the first time Harumin has decided of her own will to get involved in something 'troublesome and Matsuri related'.

That makes a lot more sense.

Anyways, have some pointless trivia caught by Latin American fans on FB

Harumi bought the Dorayakis at the Saburota store :v

joined Apr 28, 2019

Harumin always looking good uwu

Bubbles
joined Oct 1, 2020

I don't usually read scans, I'm just here to compare the translation with the original. It's... translated fairly differently... some contexts were cut out to fit the conversation into the speech bubbles and others were lost in translation. And I think that might be why some readers seem to think there's no chemistry between them. There's alot of reading between the lines in Japanese even because when it comes to Matsuri and Harumin they are implied to have A LOT of interaction 'away from camera', like hanging out together (alone) and texting each other regularly. But in English with the context removed or translated wrongly, I see why most people say they have no chemistry.

I surely didn't get that. Thanks for posting. Now it makes more sense.

It reminds me of vol 4 of Citrus, where the most important dialogue of the volume was inverted. And not just a bubble with a different nuance, the entire thing is the opposite of the official translation, making Mei seem to act at random. I'm still not sure about buying Citrus+, and this horrible translation surely doesn't help. I wonder how many other things they got wrong.

joined Oct 21, 2020

I wonder how many other things they got wrong.

Just in this chapter alone:

"Uhh...The wrong sibling...?" Is actually
"Eh... SHE SHRUNK!?"

The dialogue when Matsuri is scolding Inori "what did I tell you? when you're alone at home and someone buzzes in, you're to never leave the house" is actually
''when you're alone at home and someone comes over, you're not to leave the house no matter who it is. Those are the rules right?"

To me I feel like Matsuri's 'no matter who it is' part was supposed to be emphasised to make Harumin feel unwelcome, as you see from her expression in the background during that scene. The fact that this line was removed in the scans made me feel as though this scene didn't have as much impact in English as it did when I read it raw.

The last part is not so much as a "let's... talk in my room" as it is a "senpai... can we talk in my room?" Because Matsuri is being extremely formal, even more than usual. Which is a nuance that is very hard to replicate in english cuz by being overly formal in Japanese is a way to express anger, sarcasm, indifference, sadness etc...

Also, this is actually VERY VERY MUCH lost in translation. But Matsuri speaks to Harumin ONLY in keigo (Japanese polite speech). True that she uses it very casually and lightly dragging her intonations with "de-su" and "ma-su". With everyone else, Yuzu, Mei, Nene, she switches between casual and polite speech. But she has never once used casual speech when talking directly with Harumin, even when she's furious or throwing a tantrum, not even if it's only the two of them alone together. Harumin is also the only person she has never referred to by first name or nickname in the presence of others. Only EVER referring her "Taniguchi senpai" or "senpai", or the ever occassional "boobs" ONLY when they're alone and she's trying to poke at Harumin. Even then despite how long they've known each other compared to other side characters, she's NEVER once referred to Harumi by her first name nor by only her last name without honorifics (which I have seen in the translations and this can be interpreted as 'casual speech')

It's these small things that have made me give up on reading scans other than to compare translations or to explain to my friends the actual meaning of the scene in Japanese. Cuz so much stuff is just lost in translation and it's just really sad that the translators are unable to replicate the nuances or at least something close to the original Japanese raws.

last edited at Oct 23, 2020 8:33AM

Matsurimizusawa2
joined Sep 27, 2020

LOL sure XD

joined Oct 21, 2020

In other words, the first time Harumin has decided of her own will to get involved in something
'troublesome and Matsuri related'.

June 30th

From June 21st Scene

June 30th:

Citrus Vol 3 Special

last edited at Oct 23, 2020 9:46AM

Matsurimizusawa2
joined Sep 27, 2020

An interesting point. I wonder what scanlators/uploaders can say about this.

Although I am not one of those who say they have zero chemistry, for me they can hit it off together like best buddies instead of lovers (cuz for me, zero chemistry means two uber-contrasting personalities that are irreconcilable no matter the circumstance, they can't even become friends). I just think they have Yuzu as a common factor coupled with their interactions in the og series.

I asked some manhwa/webcomic readers on an FB forum if there had been mistranslated panels of their favorites and they too had the same "lost in translation" peeves. Then one of them just said "Anyhow, it's all pirated so can you really complain". I just never got to ask if they had the same problems with legit webcomics.

joined Oct 21, 2020

FYI May 30th Omake:

Harumin lost:the 'game'

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Everything you say is very interesting and certainly expands on the relationships and character dynamics but this part finally addresses the one issue I had with the chapter.

"Eh... SHE SHRUNK!?"

So Harumin did get surprised by the little bro.

353310-my_neighbor_totoro-totoro-studio_ghibli-anime-748x598
joined Jul 16, 2013

Also, this is actually VERY VERY MUCH lost in translation. But Matsuri speaks to Harumin ONLY in keigo (Japanese polite speech). True that she uses it very casually and lightly dragging her intonations with "de-su" and "ma-su". With everyone else, Yuzu, Mei, Nene, she switches between casual and polite speech. But she has never once used casual speech when talking directly with Harumin, even when she's furious or throwing a tantrum, not even if it's only the two of them alone together. Harumin is also the only person she has never referred to by first name or nickname in the presence of others. Only EVER referring her "Taniguchi senpai" or "senpai", or the ever occassional "boobs" ONLY when they're alone and she's trying to poke at Harumin. Even then despite how long they've known each other compared to other side characters, she's NEVER once referred to Harumi by her first name nor by only her last name without honorifics (which I have seen in the translations and this can be interpreted as 'casual speech')

It's these small things that have made me give up on reading scans other than to compare translations or to explain to my friends the actual meaning of the scene in Japanese. Cuz so much stuff is just lost in translation and it's just really sad that the translators are unable to replicate the nuances or at least something close to the original Japanese raws.

Wow thank you for clearing things up ! Im shipping these two even harder than before haha
Hope you will be around for the next chapter !

Bubbles
joined Oct 1, 2020

"Eh... SHE SHRUNK!?"

Hahaha, sadly it doesn't surprise me that they wrote something that it has nothing to do with the original.

The last part is not so much as a "let's... talk in my room" as it is a "senpai... can we talk in my room?" Because Matsuri is being extremely formal, even more than usual. Which is a nuance that is very hard to replicate in english cuz by being overly formal in Japanese is a way to express anger, sarcasm, indifference, sadness etc...

Well, in English you can be rather formal, it depends on how much indirect you are. I'm not a native speaker, but from what I know "Senpai. I wonder if it would be fine if we talked in my room." is a rather formal/polite way of saying that phrase. You can be shorter/less formal, but it's possible in English too. Otherwise, you can use the usual 'old' English to seem formal without lengthening the text. As per the effect of being formal, that happens pretty much anywhere, even if it's not used as much as in Japanese.

Also, this is actually VERY VERY MUCH lost in translation.

Yeah, but there is way and way to translate. Citrus, ch 14, official (bold in the original):

I... / really like you... Mei. / As sisters... / as family. / I feel like it's my job to look after you...

Current translation on dynasty (from Yuri Project):

I... I... / I do love you... Mei. / Disregarding we are sisters, / disregarding we are family... / I cherish you, personally, an incredible amount!

I've no idea what is the original, but one of the two is clearly wrong, and the other fits more with the overall images and events.

But Matsuri speaks to Harumin ONLY in keigo (Japanese polite speech). True that [...]

Oh, I didn't know she spoke in formal speech. How interesting. I never actually noticed that she has always called Harumin formally, probably because I didn't expect it from her. I mean, there is a "Hey, you there with the boobs." In the official translation of ch 31. Don't know how it is in the original.

[...] Cuz so much stuff is just lost in translation and it's just really sad that the translators are unable to replicate the nuances or at least something close to the original Japanese raws.

You could get close if they put translation notices to explain everything, like they do for the bible and other ancient texts. Or at least the first time someone appears to describe how they talk. No one thinks the reader cares, so they won't do it. Still, no hope in getting the nuances if they get whole phrases wrong.

[imgs]

Woah, I've no idea what's written, but it's exactly the same characters. 'How fascinating.'

last edited at Oct 23, 2020 12:53PM

joined Oct 21, 2020

Woah, I've no idea what's written, but it's exactly the same characters. 'How fascinating.'

The translation are the ones in English, just a comparison of how different the translations for the scenes were despite the words being the exact same in Japanese in two completely separate scenes. Spoiler: They were ALL jabs at Harumin.

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

"Eh... SHE SHRUNK!?"

Hahaha, sadly it doesn't surprise me that they wrote something that it has nothing to do with the original.

Well, in English you can be rather formal, it depends on how much indirect you are. I'm not a native speaker, but from what I know "Senpai. I wonder if it would be fine if we talked in my room." is a rather formal/polite way of saying that phrase. You can be shorter/less formal, but it's possible in English too. Otherwise, you can use the usual 'old' English to seem formal without lengthening the text. As per the effect of being formal, that happens pretty much anywhere, even if it's not used as much as in Japanese.

Also, this is actually VERY VERY MUCH lost in translation.

Yeah, but there is way and way to translate. Citrus, ch 14, official (bold in the original):

I... / really like you... Mei. / As sisters... / as family. / I feel like it's my job to look after you...

I... I... / I do love you... Mei. / Disregarding we are sisters, / disregarding we are family... / I cherish you, personally, an incredible amount!

I've no idea what is the original, but one of the two is clearly wrong, and the other fits more with the overall images and events.

But Matsuri speaks to Harumin ONLY in keigo (Japanese polite speech). True that [...]

Oh, I didn't know she spoke in formal speech. How interesting. I never actually noticed that she has always called Harumin formally, probably because I didn't expect it from her. I mean, there is a "Hey, you there with the boobs." In the official translation of ch 31. Don't know how it is in the original.

[...] Cuz so much stuff is just lost in translation and it's just really sad that the translators are unable to replicate the nuances or at least something close to the original Japanese raws.

You could get close if they put translation notices to explain everything, like they do for the bible and other ancient texts. Or at least the first time someone appears to describe how they talk. No one thinks the reader cares, so they won't do it. Still, no hope in getting the nuances if they get whole phrases wrong.

[imgs]

Chapter 14 was translated by yuri project

joined Oct 21, 2020

Okay I took a look at the Original

It’s a mixture of both, in a way... but #2 is definitely way off on the first half...

So this is my direct translation:
I... / really like you... Mei. / As sisters... / as family. / You’re really important to me... / and I...

I don’t understand why ‘sisters’ and ‘family’ are bolded In the original Nor why they chose to use the word ‘job’, cuz it makes it sound like Yuzu is obligated to like Mei.

But I would bold ‘ really ’ in my version because Yuzu uses the word ‘meccha’ in this dialogue, which means ‘very’, or ‘extremely’.

last edited at Oct 23, 2020 8:58PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Some titles on mangadex have two groups working in parallel. It's interesting to compare the translations. Sometimes complete reversals...

Bubbles
joined Oct 1, 2020

Chapter 14 was translated by yuri project

Yeah... that's why I pointed it out too.

So this is my direct translation:
I... / really like you... Mei. / As sisters... / as family. / You’re really important to me... / and I...

I don’t understand why ‘sisters’ and ‘family’ are bolded In the original Nor why they chose to use the word ‘job’, cuz it makes it sound like Yuzu is obligated to like Mei.

But I would bold ‘ really ’ in my version because Yuzu uses the word ‘meccha’ in this dialogue, which means ‘very’, or ‘extremely’.

Thanks for the translation.

I checked, and it seems they put words in bold because that's what the listener focuses on, or to make the core of the message visible at first glance. Considering Mei's reaction I think it makes sense, even if I don't agree with pointing it out. Also, they use italics to codify the emphasis in the intonation of the speaker, and in this case it's on 'family'. I tried to read it, and it make sense as it's a clarification between a suspension and a full stop. Not sure it was needed, or where it comes from.

As per the source of 'job', it's probably because at the start Yuzu tried hard to behave like a big sister, and tried to take care of Mei. That's probably what they meant with 'I feel like it's my job to look after you'. Also, both 'sister' and 'family' come from vol 2 (in particular ch 6-7) as Yuzu never changed her mind since then. It was the arc of Mei's father, and Yuzu thought that what Mei needed is a sister and a family. My guess is that they wanted to make sure the reason for Mei's reaction was obvious, so they added a random thing from back then, even if it was already clear from the first half of the phrase.

I would have preferred if they didn't make things up, tho, as it makes Yuzu look worse, and it changes the way she thinks about Mei. At least it's not as bad as the scan, where Mei turns her down at random.

joined Mar 19, 2020

Inori is adorable.

I’ll never ship these two though, haruhixyuzu is what should’ve happened! My poor heart.

joined Oct 21, 2020

Hmm... since the YuzuMei Dynamic started with a kiss...
Am I the only one day dreaming that the next chapter will have Matsuri pinning Harumin against the room door or against her bed pretending to intimidate her and force a kiss onto Harumin hoping that she can make Harumin hate her and push her away or slap her?

I mean right now, Harumin is the only person left in the main cast that Matsuri hasn’t kissed LOL
Though tbh, the really sweet cliche of a romantic comedy accidental kiss is also too good to pass up...

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

I'm sorry. Inori looks is an adorable brat I get it. This gives me Bandori (Lisa) moment flashback and it's not good.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I'm sorry. Inori looks is an adorable brat I get it. This gives me Bandori (Lisa) moment flashback and it's not good.

What do you mean?

To reply you must either login or sign up.