Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Am I the only one who thinks Shimamura and Adachi make a horrible couple? To begin with, Shimamura isn't even really in love with Adachi, as she said in volume 7. Sure, it was a dream, but that's why we know those are Shimamura's real feelings: the unconscious mind doesn't lie. On the other hand we have Adachi who is way too immature to have a functional romantic relationship. She's clearly not ready. She should be trying to make friends or something instead.

All in all, Iruma is just not doing enough to sell the relationship. If anything, there's more stuff suggesting it just doesn't work.

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 12:12AM

joined Aug 29, 2016

Okay, so the anime is now airing.

And my idea of how Adachi acts is a lot different. She seems to be a lot more talkative and expressive. She definitely doesnt get along with others. At least in the beginning. And the way Adachi steals glances at Shimamura is pretty much the same. But somehow, Shimamura shows more interest in Adachi than I thought she did at the start. I mean for sure, Shimamura sticks around Adachi because she admires how Adachi tries so hard to overcome her social issues and does think Adachi is cute.

Interesting that Shimamura was the first narrator in this episode. I wonder if they’ll switch back and forth like in the novels. But something I interpreted was that Adachi, while is very shy, and even possessive of Shimamura (of course as the chapters unfold), is supposed to have random bold moments that Shimamura makes fun of Adachi for. Meaning her shyness and bold behavior should really emphasize the contrast. But if Adachi did start to speak out, well idk. Maybe Adachi only became shy because she started to notice feelings. But I don’t remember what chapter that was. It was before the bowling, though.

I wonder how far the anime will take the story. Probably to where the 4-koma version ends. Although I like where the Moke version is now. Well probably never see Adachi’s festival confession where blood spews out at Shima since she had bitten her lip running away. Well, not a lot of things phase Shima. Even the bath scene when Adachi wants to look at her chest. Hmm I suppose she was always that type of person. Idk. Im spewing out thoughts now haha.

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 12:33AM

joined Aug 29, 2016

Am I the only one who thinks Shimamura and Adachi make a horrible couple? To begin with, Shimamura isn't even really in love with Adachi, as she said in volume 7. Sure, it was a dream, but that's why we know those are Shimamura's real feelings: the unconscious mind doesn't lie. On the other hand we have Adachi who is way too immature to have a functional romantic relationship. She's clearly not ready. She should be trying to make friends or something instead.

All in all, Iruma is just not doing enough to sell the relationship. If anything, there's more stuff suggesting it just doesn't work.

Hmm, Kaze-kun, I think there are relationships where it starts off with an unrequited love. And perhaps they aren't the best versions of themselves right now. But what we do know is that Adachi is trying to be less possessive and continues to try to be social and kind to others. Shimamura admires that. Shimamura is sort of similar, where she knows that relationships are bothersome and she doesn't try to make them meaningful. They just fall away. But Shima does want to change, and she does pay close attention to Adachi. They do know each other well enough. Although I wouldn't be as patient as Shima is with Adachi’s constant calling,

knows that Adachi is a pain, but wants to try. And she reminds her of Gon, her dog so. Idk. Both aren't really socially adept.

But I think its fine that Shima isn't in love yet. I mean she could be partly asexual like me. Like im demisexual, so the way Adachi is attracted to Shima’s physique and body (physical attraction) is maybe something Shima doesn't have. Demisexual and/or demiromantics only have secondary attraction: attraction through character and the strength of the relationship bond. It’s sort of weird when you know someone is in love with you or looks at you sexually, but you don’t return it BUT it also doesn't bother you. That’s how Shima seems to be.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

And that's why they don't work as a couple. Adachi is a mess. Too immature for romance. And the more obsessed with Shimamura she becomes, the less likely she is to form important connections with other people. She needs a shrink rather than romance. lol She might be trying to change, but the results are minimal.
And while Shimamura might admire the effort Adachi is supposedly making, admiration isn't love.

As for whether Shimamura is asexual and whatnot, I don't think so. Mangaka and light novel writers don't really explore those kind of themes. I still remember how lots of people though Yuu from Bloom Into You was asexual, and they were dead wrong. Shimamura simply isn't in love with Adachi. Maybe she will later on, but at that point I will lose interest.

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 12:44AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Maybe Adachi only became shy because she started to notice feelings. But I don’t remember what chapter that was. It was before the bowling, though.

Her behavior around Shimamura begins to change around the time she has a dream where she kisses her, which happens next episode according to the preview.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

And that's why they don't work as a couple. Adachi is a mess. Too immature for romance.

Almost like it's her first experience in romance and she is a teenager, oh wait it is. You can't expect a 15/16 yo girl with no prior experience in love or hell, even in relationship in particular to be mature for that.

And the more obsessed with Shimamura she becomes, the less likely she is to form important connections with other people. She needs a shrink rather than romance. lol She might be trying to change, but the results are minimal.

That's what Shimamura should be stepping in and help her. Shima is not a kid, if she think Adachi should be more open and less obsessed then she should talk with her.

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 5:16AM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Almost like it's her first experience in romance and she is a teenager, oh wait it is. You can't expect a 15/16 yo girl with no prior experience in love or hell, even in relationship in particular to be mature for that.

Except she doesn't act like a normal 15yo kid experiencing her first romance. She acts like someone with some severe social issues. And she should deal with those issues before getting into romance. The way she clings to Shimamura is pretty unhealthy, and it's exactly because she doesn't have anyone else close to her to socialize with.

That's what Shimamura should be stepping in and help her. Shima is not a kid, if she think Adachi should be more open and less obsessed then she should talk with her.

It's not working like that though. Their relationship generally takes the form of Adachi selfishly demanding shit from Shimamura and Shimamura generally giving in to her demands or treating Adachi like little kid. It's an unhealthy relationship no matter how you look at it.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

It's not working like that though. Their relationship generally takes the form of Adachi selfishly demanding shit from Shimamura and Shimamura generally giving in to her demands or treating Adachi like little kid. It's an unhealthy relationship no matter how you look at it.

That sound like Shima is at fault as well.

Except she doesn't act like a normal 15yo kid experiencing her first romance. She acts like someone with some severe social issues.

How do you know how a normal 15yo girl experience her first romance ? What is normal ? Nobody react the same way. Just because you didn't react this way mean the way Adachi react is not normal. And yeah she havesocial issue, she didn't act them, she have them.

The way she clings to Shimamura is pretty unhealthy

And i don't recall anyboy saying the opposite.

Except she doesn't act like a normal 15yo kid experiencing her first romance. She acts like someone with some severe social issues. And she should deal with those issues before getting into romance. The way she clings to Shimamura is pretty unhealthy, and it's exactly because she doesn't have anyone else close to her to socialize with.

Some very apathetic people, like Adachi, are fine with just having one special person in their life. They have their person, job and hobbies, so what she needs to stop revolving around Shimamura and that would suit her personality some more are some hobbies, and maybe she'll meet some people through them or maybe not, you can't really socialize with people you couldn't care less for.

We have all said their relationship isn't healthy, at this point in time. Most young relationships aren't always the healthiest, as they're young, immature and tend to have bad communication, like said young people in them, and yes Adachi is terribly clingy having barely received love and affection from those she wanted it the most and feeling hated by them or well just her mom, Adachi doesn't want that to happen with Shimamura, so she knows she has to change and stop being so demanding and Shimamura knows she can't keep giving-in. Growth in relationships takes time and communication and they have barely just started, so yes they both suck it at right now, but it's unavoidable as those thoughts creep in the back of their minds, they'll have to have a conversation about their relationship or something if they want to keep being together.

last edited at Oct 11, 2020 7:42AM by

joined Jan 25, 2017

Adachi is Cute, IMO

joined Oct 5, 2016

those were such great chapters!! i loved how pancho was alright with them being girlfriends and just overall being so understanding(maybe suspiciously so...?). also huge shoutout to yashiro for helping shima find her girlfriend, that scene was so sweet

Yeah that whole conversation felt like Pancho was asking for herself, not just out of idle curiosity.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

those were such great chapters!! i loved how pancho was alright with them being girlfriends and just overall being so understanding(maybe suspiciously so...?). also huge shoutout to yashiro for helping shima find her girlfriend, that scene was so sweet

Yeah that whole conversation felt like Pancho was asking for herself, not just out of idle curiosity.

Oh for sure, Pancho absolutely has a crush on someone and her reactions and questions seem to indicate that the person in question is another girl....

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Oh for sure, Pancho absolutely has a crush on someone and her reactions and questions seem to indicate that the person in question is another girl....

I thought the same. Maybe it's one of the other two girls in her trio.

joined Aug 29, 2016

And that's why they don't work as a couple. Adachi is a mess. Too immature for romance. And the more obsessed with Shimamura she becomes, the less likely she is to form important connections with other people. She needs a shrink rather than romance. lol She might be trying to change, but the results are minimal.
And while Shimamura might admire the effort Adachi is supposedly making, admiration isn't love.

As for whether Shimamura is asexual and whatnot, I don't think so. Mangaka and light novel writers don't really explore those kind of themes. I still remember how lots of people though Yuu from Bloom Into You was asexual, and they were dead wrong. Shimamura simply isn't in love with Adachi. Maybe she will later on, but at that point I will lose interest.

Woah woah woah. Yuu IS ASEXUAL. She’s on the asexual spectrum. I think she’s demisexual. Maki is the full asexual. You realize that it’s difficult when grey-aces first try to analyze attraction, cause it’ll normally happen at an older age than most?

Where are you getting your resources from? There is no joke using “asexual” and “allosexual”. But I guess we’re not here to talk about attraction since this is just a fictional lesbian yuri story. Just sayin tho.... Yuu is asexual. On the asexual spectrum. I think Shimamura is too. Doesn’t seem to ever had crushes before or even thought about romance. While a lot of people (somehow) figure it out before teenage years.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2019/04/19-1/bloom-into-you-and-exploring-asexuality

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 4:35PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BlueStallion44 posted:

Yuu IS ASEXUAL.

That's why she has sex?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Doesn’t seem to ever had crushes before or even thought about romance.

If at all, that would make her aromantic, not asexual. Same with Yuu, although she clearly proves otherwise before the manga gets even to the halfway point.

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 5:04PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

The way I see it, Yuu is demiromantic demisexual and more than likely lesbian (I mean, she certainly sways that way, we just don't know if she does sway any other way too).

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 5:14PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Haha, yeah, Yuu clearly just lets senpai give her tongue for five minutes straight just to be nice, she's not into it at all.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Volume 9 came out like an hour ago, so I'm now working on that.

I've been obnoxiously nitpicking grammar and spelling on this now since March of last year... when this latest volume is done, what am I gonna do for shits, giggles, and evil cackling?? D:<

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

You find another yuri LN series to work on?

Doesn’t seem to ever had crushes before or even thought about romance.

Didn't she kinda like Tarumi as a kid or am I remembering that wrong? (I might need to go back and read)

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

The way I see it, Yuu is demiromantic demisexual and more than likely lesbian (I mean, she certainly sways that way, we just don't know if she does sway any other way too).

I laughed, so many labels... She was just not in love before that's all... She's not demi or I don't know lol
But yeah "The way I see it" that's your opinion

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Woah woah woah. Yuu IS ASEXUAL.

Yuu feels sexual attraction. In fact, she starts feeling sexual attraction for Touko before she falls in love. Back when they were making out during the sport festival Yuu was already getting all hot and bothered when doing lewd stuff with Touko.

If you didn't realize that by her behavior you weren't paying any attention.

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 9:59PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

That sound like Shima is at fault as well.

Yeah, you're right.

How do you know how a normal 15yo girl experience her first romance ? What is normal ? Nobody react the same way. Just because you didn't react this way mean the way Adachi react is not normal. And yeah she havesocial issue, she didn't act them, she have them.

Don't get hand up on the word normal, dude. That's not the point. The point is a healthy kid makes friends and acquaintances and such. Adachi is not like that, and while she claims she's fine being a loner, we know she's like that due to family issues (specially her screwed up relationship with her mother). Basically, the point is she has severe social issues and is clearly not ready for romance.

And i don't recall anyboy saying the opposite.

Then you don't have to ague with me, right?

last edited at Oct 10, 2020 10:06PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Basically, the point is she has severe social issues and is clearly not ready for romance.

Or, she have someone she trust a lot and that someone can make her socialize and i remember Shimamure have try to do so already.

Then you don't have to ague with me, right?

Well except that wasn't the point we were arguing on.

To reply you must either login or sign up.