Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Kozakuramin%20copy%20(phone)
joined Jul 6, 2018

^I feel like Yashiro exerts some kind of influence that makes others take her presence for granted as one of her supernatural traits. Though I don't think what her deal is will ever be fully explained, her mysteriousness is part of the joke/charm.

It was fun at first as far as I'm concerned, now for me, it's just starting to really really wear off :\ and I don't even think she particularily adds anything to the story, although I was waiting for her to have some kind of importance.

i didn't particularly MIND her til this last chapter. i mean, COME ON who doesn't notice a whole fucking (scuse the language but reading that was really stupid >.>) CHILD in their bag??? and how the hell is she just carrying her around???? i know they mention she's light, but not THAT light, and you CAN'T just hide the angles of her body!! jesus christ lol. it REALLY pulled you out of the amazing mood of that last chapter. really disappointed that was put in there.

She is an alien lol. Guess she can bend her joints however she wants or something like that.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Shimamura did mention several times before that Yashiro feels extremely light to hold up.

By the way, it felt weird seeing a Demon Slayer reference since I just assumed the series' timeline matched up with when the series started (so 2012-2013) rather than being simply "the present day", but props to the author for writing it in way before its popularity exploded with the anime.

last edited at Aug 31, 2020 5:44AM

joined Aug 15, 2020

^I feel like Yashiro exerts some kind of influence that makes others take her presence for granted as one of her supernatural traits. Though I don't think what her deal is will ever be fully explained, her mysteriousness is part of the joke/charm.

It was fun at first as far as I'm concerned, now for me, it's just starting to really really wear off :\ and I don't even think she particularily adds anything to the story, although I was waiting for her to have some kind of importance.

i didn't particularly MIND her til this last chapter. i mean, COME ON who doesn't notice a whole fucking (scuse the language but reading that was really stupid >.>) CHILD in their bag??? and how the hell is she just carrying her around???? i know they mention she's light, but not THAT light, and you CAN'T just hide the angles of her body!! jesus christ lol. it REALLY pulled you out of the amazing mood of that last chapter. really disappointed that was put in there.

She is an alien lol. Guess she can bend her joints however she wants or something like that.

Even though, why did it have to be thing in the first place? What exactly did that do for the story? So she mend herself around Shimamura's stuff why exactly? How was there a need for her to be on that trip?

I completely agree, it killed the whole, for the lack of a better word, immersion. It's like the story gets turned into a gag manga story about some weird alien creature around humans and I don't care for it :\

I completely agree, it killed the whole, for the lack of a better word, immersion. It's like the story gets turned into a gag manga story about some weird alien creature around humans and I don't care for it :\

Well she kind of is a gag character from his other series in this, though I agree she didn't really add anything to this chapter, like the previous one, but it was kinda cute and silly how she was like Nezuko though.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Eh. I don't think this chapter really needed Yashiro's presence, but also it's hard for me to say she took much away when we still had pages and pages of stuff like the bath scene or Shimamura monologuing to herself or Adachi nearly outing them both and all that other good gay shit I'm here for.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Eh. I don't think this chapter really needed Yashiro's presence, but also it's hard for me to say she took much away when we still had pages and pages of stuff like the bath scene or Shimamura monologuing to herself or Adachi nearly outing them both and all that other good gay shit I'm here for.

Yeah. Why are people focusing on the irrelevant stuff when the chapter have bath scene? Shimamura is so tolerant. If Adachi would want to do it, I feel like Shimamura wouldn't mind.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XbVLVBWyc4

I don't recall anything from beyond the first two novels in this PV, though I assume it will at least cover the third one as well.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I've got a fairly strong hunch the anime'll stop at the end of V3.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Yeah probably this chapter doesn’t need Yashiro. But Yashiro needs to be present on their school trip. That’s it.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Shimamura's M.O. has always been to pretend like she has no idea how gay this all is, but then to subtly freak out and worry that people are staring at them when they're together. Like you can go back to almost any of their previous dates-that-aren't-officially-dates and at some point Shimamura will be noticing how all the other couples are hetero, or that people are looking at them, or how they don't really fit in.i

So instead she's just been like, uhh, well if I don't think at all about how this is totally gay then I can just pretend it's not an issue and maybe it'll go away on its own.

joined Aug 15, 2020

Yeah probably this chapter doesn’t need Yashiro. But Yashiro needs to be present on their school trip. That’s it.

No. No, she doesn't need to be present on the trip. That's one of the issues.

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

Yet she goes anyway. Yashiro is fun and I'm totally okay with her being there in this novel.

Img_4897
joined Oct 27, 2017

i didn't particularly MIND her til this last chapter. i mean, COME ON who doesn't notice a whole CHILD in their bag??? and how the hell is she just carrying her around???? i know they mention she's light, but not THAT light

Reminds me of Remote Island Syndrome from Haruhi, where Kyon picks up his bag and says “wait, this feels about 50 pounds heavier than it should be” and it’s his little sister trying to tag along.

Fun fact, in the books he just says “you’re staying home” and she doesn’t come along. The anime let her come so they could conveniently write out the “high school freshmen get drunk” part of the story

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Oh man. I Don’t want to spoil. Better wait for the next chap. Yashiro is not an issue, i’m enjoying her being there, she’s cute though.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

lol somehow this has become a yashiro discussion.

Errr I do want to ask if anyone remembers if Shimamura being a girl was ever an issue for Adachi ?

Like with Shimamura I quite remember her stating a couple of times when they were on dates about how Adachi's clinginess might give people the wrong idea and as SadDoctor said she just kinda blocked out any gay connotations Adachi's actions had and maybe that's also why it took her a long time to realize what Adachi felt for her, still even in volume 6 and at the confession, Shimamura did give voice to how them both being girls was a bit weird and she gave serious thought to the problems it'd bring and that if she really, really loved Adachi shed have no trouble with riding out any issues that might arise to be with Adachi, and well that's about all she wrote right lol ? thank god.

But with Adachi I don't quite remember if she ever had any problems with Shima being a girl and the whole lesbian aspect I just remember she really wanted to express her love, well it did take her like 4? Volumes to realize she was in love, I remember people being mad cuz she came to the realization "I love Shimamura" twice it felt like lol, but her problem was just that she didn't understand what "love" was with her limited understanding of relationships, and she just had to accept that she loves someone, but yeah did she ever think the Yuri thing was a problem ? Anyone remember ?

Well even now Shima still has a bit of anxiety at showing that she's a lesbian and Adachi as always feels like she's just too preocupied with having shima pamper and return her love to care about silly things like others opinions of heir gay love.

last edited at Sep 2, 2020 4:43AM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I'm pretty sure the only times the fact they're both girls came into consideration were from Shimamura's perspective. I don't remember Adachi ever thinking about societal norms aside from her relationship with her parents.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, not in these exact words, but I'd say that was exactly the reason she was in denial about her own feelings for quite a while, trying to explain them as everything other than love. Once she accepted that she indeed was in love with Shima, though, any worries about how she may be perceived by others went out of the window and getting Shima to love her back became her sole focus.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

i didn't particularly MIND her til this last chapter. i mean, COME ON who doesn't notice a whole fucking (scuse the language but reading that was really stupid >.>) CHILD in their bag??? and how the hell is she just carrying her around???? i know they mention she's light, but not THAT light,

I mean, yes she is. She literally is. This has come up before, whenever anybody lifts her up, it's like she's barely even there. She's impossibly light.

I think a lot of people here are suddenly realizing that no, the joke is not that Yashiro is a reasonably normal girl with blue hair that claims to be an alien.

Yashiro is a bizarre freak of nature who defies all understandings of physics and biology. Simply by getting inside Shimamura's bag, she has transformed it into a sort of bag of holding, from which she can easily retrieve any object asked for and store any object given. She probably literally swims around in the space inside. It's like a Tardis in there right now, is my point.

and you CAN'T just hide the angles of her body!! jesus christ lol. it REALLY pulled you out of the amazing mood of that last chapter. really disappointed that was put in there.

I vaguely remember reading some cultural commentary when I was first getting into anime, which suggested that because of the sort of open, malleable structure of the classical shinto religion, and the way the country was rebuilt after WWII and incorporated bits and bobs of western culture alongside Japanese traditionalism, Japanese people don't really have any problem blending seemingly disparate elements into a larger whole. Modern and ancient, Grounded and fantastical, realistic and cartoonish, there's no sense of dissonance in that culture. Or maybe even the dissonance is literally part of the culture. This is why so many anime have this weird, fundamentally distinct combination of sex appeal, existential angst, slapstick humor, visceral tragedy, etc.

It's part of what makes anime and manga (along with japanese video games) so distinct, and it means, basically, if you're gonna keep enjoying this stuff, sometimes you have to just be aware that occasionally your cute grounded slice of life coming of age lesbian romcom is going to have weird aliens that can hide in luggage without being noticed.

last edited at Sep 2, 2020 12:55PM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

"sometimes you have to just be aware that occasionally your cute grounded slice of life coming of age lesbian romcom is going to have weird aliens that can hide in luggage without being noticed"

lol

But yes I totally agree with that, tbh even though I don't particularly like Yashiro I've personally just taken Shimamuras stance on this, just don't think about it too hard, she's there and she's not going away the author has a hard on for putting aliens into the story for whatever reason and even though she does kinda ... Well I don't want to say ruin cuz its a strong word, but she stops the flow of the story at times it's whatever at this point I just hope she keeps being a side thing.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

"but I'd say that was exactly the reason she was in denial about her own feelings for quite a while, trying to explain them as everything other than love."

Well to me it feels like it's more she was in shock of having someone she loved in the first place not necessarily that she was a girl, we know just how much she disliked people before Shima (well even now really) cuz of how her life has gone and truly it just felt like she couldn't believe she had found someone she could have so much affection for, since to her it truly felt like she'd never be able to love anyone.

But hey who knows maybe there was a bit of Shima being a girl that was also stopping her, could be really, but unlike Shima who is just kinda recently awakening a more physical attraction towards Adachi (whoa that bath scene), Adachi started realizing she might be in love cuz she had a dream where she kissed Shima, so yeah lol.

last edited at Sep 3, 2020 8:34AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I mean, the first thing she does after that dream is thinking "I wasn't like that". And repeating it again and again.

last edited at Sep 3, 2020 8:37AM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Oh you're right, she's been gay so long that specific paragraph just slipped my mind lol, you're right bud that line does make it seem like she struggled with that a bit, damn good call.

Indeed at the very start she does seem to have been a bit worried about both of them being girls, but well as Shimamura always says her straightforwardness just let her forget it when she accepted she was in love I guess.

last edited at Sep 3, 2020 9:18PM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

God I wanted to wanted to wait for the full volume before reading but I just couldn't hold myself back, everyone had been saying vol 8 was good and that it was their favorite and my God they weren't wrong this volume opens up so strong with these 2 chapters that it's also probably gonna end up being my favorite, sorry vol 6.

Err just some points I really liked, wall of text guys sorry I just have to gush about how much I liked it and I can only do it here lol none of my rl friends like light novels or Yuri for that matter.

-Showing us their future together, a rare occurrence for sure since most series end on just right after the relationship forms or when they've just dated for a bit so a whole 10 years into the future and seeing how they're doing was great, I'm not a fan of how much the author dicks around at times with the different timelines and what ifs since it feels like it's just some wasted time but this one was real good, helps that it's directly tied to the story not some weird stuff.

-Fortune teller lady, though she might be shady I like how she's helped out Adachi every time we've seen them together, and well it's what Adachi needs someone to talk to and bounce of ideas with, I know we joke about how "crazy" some of Adachi's ideas and actions are but it's just that she really is just experiencing relationships now and doesn't know how to do a lot of basic social stuff, doesn't help she doesn't want to get other friends and is satisfied with Shima but she needs help to learn about how to interact with others and what's normal but she can't ask Shima cuz there's be no point then, lol quite a conundrum.

-Shimamura and how she's been slowly noticing Adachi more and more as a girlfriend, and this is even if she's not quite sure if she's doing a good job as a girlfriend, the number of times Shima looks at Adachi and thinks "how cute" or "she's adorable" is staggering coming from Shima and how she had been till now, also how she handled Adachi's pouting and told her to just enjoy the trip was real nice what a mature moment, also how she's just looking out for Adachi Ina girlfriend type of way now.

-Shima needing to decide if Adachi is all she needs and openly showing their relationship, tbh it was quite painful reading how much she's troubled what others might think of their love and still not being sure how much she wants to show, but at the same time it's pretty darn interesting seeing her come to a decision, Adachi as always is in Dreamland and she's fully accepted the Yuri thing, doesn't even care about it, but seeing Shima worry is interesting, looking forward to how that will go down now that they're being so affectionate and Sancho's de Los Pancho's are unto them.

-The bath scene, my God that was just ... Nice lol Shima wanting to not think about it too much but then just going all out asking what Adachi wants to do, letting her check her out, looking at Adachi plenty herself, welp I know that it was already known Shima is into girls since she accepted Adachi's confession and has been saying how good Adachi looks since vol 1 but this really drove home that Shima appreciates a beautiful body as much as any man of culture out there lol and wanting to ask what Adachi thought of her body, ahhh some real first relationship type of stuff there being all self conscious about every little thing, seeing your partner naked is a big thing and Shima handled it as well as you'd think, and it was somehow great that even though it's usually Adachi moving things forward, this time it was Shima who was just straight as an arrow "do you want to see", my God Shima I love you so much lol.

-Going to sleep while holding hands, it was wholesome af and made a nice contrast after what had just happened in the bath lol.

Overall every volume this series just continues to improve and I just end up loving it more, it's truly become my favorite Yuri series and favorite romance as well.

last edited at Sep 4, 2020 11:44PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah Adachi struggles a good bit with The Gay in the earlier volumes. She repeatedly tries to justify how she's not actually Like That, and then she's got a long period where she hasn't fully admitted it to herself, but she mostly worries about if Shimamura will hate her if she finds out. She mostly kinda decides that well, she doesn't know about the big picture, but she knows she likes Shimamura and she wants her to like her back. But she regularly backtracks at random depending on how anxious she is about things. Until Shimamura drags the girlfriend word out of her I dont think Adachi is ever willing to actually think it, she just thinks how well it'd be cool if they were super duper best friends who go on dates and y'know maybe shimamura might randomly try to kiss her someday.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Yeah I recently re-read the books but it was only from vol 4 up, guess that's why I kind of forgot how Adachi was pretty in denial at first about bit being Like That as you said.

lol that last part sounds pretty Adachi, indeed she was just hoping they'd be especially good friends that will always be together and just maybe have a kiss here or there, but well it is due to her anxiety about what Shimamura will do when she sees just how Adachi sees her.

That's an interesting point as well up to the confession scene it's Shima that has to drag the words "I want to go out with you/be my girlfriend" out of Adachi, even if she had realized she loved Shima and wanted to tell her, she never really fantasised about Shima being her gf, guess it's her pessimism at work ? Not even thinking about it cuz she's be too sad if it all went to hell ?

To reply you must either login or sign up.