Forum › Sakana no Miru Yume discussion

joined Aug 11, 2014

I'm not entirely sure what happened, and I still don't really understand any of the characters, but the ending still felt somehow fulfilling? Maybe it's just because the story was already so strange and uncertain from the beginning, but with the epilogue, it feels complete. I have no idea whether I enjoyed this series at all, but it's not that often that I'm still this interested in a story even after it's finished, so I guess that's something. I'll read this again, after it settles down a bit in my head.

joined Jul 23, 2013

The last few chapters were just too rushed.

It skips 3 months of time in which we barely get to see Tomoe and Mikage's changed relation, the subplot involving their father is never resolved (what was the point of showing Mikage and her dad if you're never going to show what came out of it anyway?), Takayanagi just disappears from the plot, the part involving Kujou feels like an asspull because the lack of any foreshadowing, the relationship between the sisters in the end doesn't seem ambivalent, more simply swept under the carpet because we're never shown what Tomoe's answer ultimately was. I'm all for ambivalent endings, but too much things were unresolved. I think the story could have used at least one more volume

It's a bit frustrating because I thought it was quite good up to the 8th chapter. But still I did enjoy what I read for the most part. Thanks, Yuri Project

last edited at Oct 18, 2014 5:26PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Everything would've worked adding two lines and the middle and the end.

"Good Bye... Biiitch" and "they fucked" .... or a least a kiss right? RIGHT?! Oh well, I'm good, not grossed out like with "happy end" or totally dissapointed like with Limonade. There could be a history where both sister live together and Mikage heals Tomoe's heart, but I hate to think about it myself. A last comparision would be one of my favorite mangas "Notes from the garden of lilies" with an afterword that leaves everything clear :D. I'm just saying... IS NOT HARD! YOU'RE NOT BREAKING ANY RULE! then why won't you make things clear? sigh Hmmmm 7,4/10 ? The lack of romance was hurtful

joined Aug 1, 2013

I'm so mad Takayanagi lost.
You don't even know.

Dude.. I know,

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

yeeesssssss!!!!! tomoe x mikage for life!!!

does celebration dance

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Finally it's completed! Was kinda hard to keep up so i dropped temporarily but now i can finall-Oh looks like i didn't miss much, alright then

last edited at Oct 18, 2014 8:22PM

joined Nov 11, 2010

I dunno about you guys but it looks like Takayanagi won to me? http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sakana_no_miru_yume_ch12#8

Takayanagi's crush on Mikage was the cutest thing ever though so I'm pretty happy with this end. I don't really care if Tomoe and Mikage's relationship is ambiguous or if they end up going the incest route later on, so long as Mikage doesn't reject Takayanagi's feelings I would call it a good end.

Incidentally the story is not that hard to understand; like the author said Tomoe and Mikage's relationship was about confronting their real selves and (re)constructing a broken family from scratch. Maybe not the standard "and then they got together and fucked" conclusion yuri fans are always looking for but it was a worthwhile enough story for me.

edit:

Thing is I'm pretty doubtful Mikage still even needs or wants a sexual relationship with Tomoe at all. The crux of this story's conflict was that on account of their pasts with their father, Tomoe had dedicated her life to protecting Mikage and placed her at the center of her life in order to (psychologically) protect her own self. Mikage's efforts to break out of the tidy role Tomoe had constructed for her (by sexualizing herself) ultimately came from the fact that Tomoe wasn't really looking at her. When Takayanagi's confession made Mikage realize that she was pushing her feelings onto Tomoe, she realized that what they both really needed was to confront each other's real feelings and accept each other, which they did. Now that Tomoe and Mikage have constructed a proper relationship, I'm not sure a sexual component between them is even still necessary so perhaps Mikage has in fact accepted Takayanagi as her partner in the romantic component of her life.

last edited at Oct 18, 2014 9:06PM

joined Apr 13, 2012

the fact is that i'll never know for certain whether Takayanagi won or what... i don't like that...
to be honest i didn't even understand that well the story, i know i need to reread it but i won't be doing that soon, last chapters made my head spin, i'll go enjoy some fluffy yuri to recover.

As always, thank you, yuri project

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

Thing is I'm pretty doubtful Mikage still even needs or wants a sexual relationship with Tomoe at all.

Seeing as Mikage is neither asexual nor does she look like she wants a platonic relationship, I am betting Mikage definitely still wants the sex with Tomoe. But maybe, just maybe, she's trying to take it slow with Tomoe (pure speculation). Mikage wants Tomoe to think only of her and in a romantic way and not just like family.

Ch10 P133 (here is when Mikage says she doesn't want to be seen just as a convenient little sister for tomoe to protect/ look after)

CH10 P138 (where mikage tells tomoe she should look only at her)

The crux of this story's conflict was that on account of their pasts with their father, Tomoe had dedicated her life to protecting Mikage and placed her at the center of her life in order to (psychologically) protect her own self.

I think after their mother dies, it all went downhill for Tomoe. She wasn't trying to protect herself (yes, indirectly probably) but mostly her family which consists of only Mikage (and herself). She wanted to be in that tiny little bubble which she built around the two of them which she sees as "family" (and she's right. They are familym but her little sister is a sociopath and complicates things). Tomoe felt like she had to be strong for both mikage and herself.

CH10 P136 (This is the part where we see Tomoe breaks down and says why she feels like she could never express her true feelings like when she's sad or lonely)

But after meeting Kujou, she felt like she no longer needs to. Thats why she planned to go to a university far from their place. Then Kujou went all kinds of crazy just so that Tomoe will have her forever igrained in her memory... B-b-b-*tches be crazy!

Mikage's efforts to break out of the tidy role Tomoe had constructed for her (by sexualizing herself) ultimately came from the fact that Tomoe wasn't really looking at her.

Well, if you say she is "sexualizing herself" then she must have had a partner, and I can only think of her dad. So, Mikage and her dad did have sexual relations. But after sometime, Mikage and her dad doesn't do stuff anymore and She just goes to his place purely for helping his dad with his art by being the model, is what I think.

When Takayanagi's confession made Mikage realize that she was pushing her feelings onto Tomoe, she realized that what they both really needed was to confront each other's real feelings and accept each other, which they did. Now that Tomoe and Mikage have constructed a proper relationship, I'm not sure a sexual component between them is even still necessary

Maybe. But it all depends on how they feel, and the manga was inconclusive on the part where Tomoe and mikage got together. We have NO CLUE whether their relationship was sexual or purely platonic. We can only speculate and deduce from the past chapters of how they would be when they get together. Based on the epilogue, I thought the dialogue was subtly giving hints about their sex lives or this is just me being totally crazy (like Kujou lol) or they were really just describing what they thought of summer (sticky and oppressive) and winter (crushed by something huge you cant see)

so perhaps Mikage has in fact accepted Takayanagi as her partner in the romantic component of her life.

IF Mikage sees Takayanagi as her girlfriend or as a romantic component of her life, I don't think she would still go on that trip with Tomoe. The whole story was about two sisters, one being a yandere and some other drama inserted onto the story they had to deal with. Ultimately, the story was mainly focusing on Tomoe and Mikage's feelings towards each other.

I think Takayanagi has a chance with Mikage, but not at this point yet, because Mikage is still trying to recuperate her onee-chan's heart (which was mostly damaged by Mikage herself, oooh the irony, and Krazy-Kujou)

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Ya know. That was a surprisingly satisfying ending.

I can understand the wish for Takayanagi to win...but she wouldn't win with Mikage. And honestly I was rather satisfied with where they left of. Mikage saw her mistakes with her (don't misread that Im referring to entertaining her feelings not to her friendship with her), and learned and recompensed for it. Both are still great friends, and their relationship feels deep and accepting.

Sure, we coulda had a couple extra chapters or so to help clarify things and give all the elements of the story more body and more development, but there wasn't much that was particularly *under*developed. Take a breath, and interpret things a little closer, and you'll see that this was a good story with a well-developed plot with well-executed elements.

Not amazing. But it was really good and I don't regret reading it one bit. I just wish all the other people who ditched early stuck around to the end...these are meant to be read cover to cover with short breaks after all.

Thank you Yuri Project for your continued devotion to translation.

last edited at Oct 18, 2014 11:18PM

joined Apr 1, 2014

It's a complete mystery to me thinking of all the things in this site that are ongoing (last chapter: 2011) and incomplete and yet this total garbage got translated all the way through. There really is no accounting for taste.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

It's a complete mystery to me thinking of all the things in this site that are ongoing (last chapter: 2011) and incomplete and yet this total garbage got translated all the way through. There really is no accounting for taste.

for every manga, one shot, serial, or doujinshi I've hated, there have been plenty of people that liked them and vice-versa. so to each his or her own.

well, at least we know what you won't be rereading.

joined Feb 15, 2013

I think the ending is fairly satisfied. A kiss would be nice, but i doubt Mikage will be content for just one. Let's just leave it to our imagination on what they will do next. Hope that collar in Chapter 1 will play a part in it

Kujou is actually just a mild case of yandere really. She was (assumingly) moving oversea so won't have a way to keep constant contact with Tomoe anymore. But instead of stabbing Tomoe so Tomoe will belong to her forever. She tried to become the object of resentment so Tomoe will forever remember her confession. But chicken out in the end and still leave Tomoe a day to send in late application.

I really like this author way of drawing character and their emotions through. Hope he has more works like this

last edited at Oct 19, 2014 12:19AM

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

Speak for yourself. I thought this one was one hell of a ride!
Thanks YP! You guys are osm! :)

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

I dunno about you guys but it looks like Takayanagi won to me? http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sakana_no_miru_yume_ch12#8

thats only there cuz takayanagi is ogawa's waifu.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sakana_no_miru_yume_ch05#35

id say going on a trip together (and not telling your friends), sharing a bed, and gazing at the snow while holding each other close is a bigger indication of winning than a sketch in the omake.

plus that super lewd hand holding they partook in.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Fuckin really....fizzled like a firework snake....laaaame

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Hmmmm, I don't really like the ambiguous 'are the sisters together or not' end, but I can understand it, as Tomoe didn't really want to be in a relationship with her sister and just wanted her sister to BE her sister, but then of course we know Mikage wanted it the other way around, so just sort of alluding to them being together was obviously the compromise.

I did love how Tomoe dealt with Kujou though. The only thing that would've made it perf for me, would be Tomoe and Mikage actually talking about and dealing with their issues instead of just going on some trip, and then something that alludes to Mikage and Takayanagi being together, or trying to start something, idk. I get its more about rebuilding their familiy, but c'mon those two were a waaay better pair than the sisters hahaa

Abe415bc-3706-4b66-a10e-07e744434b9e
joined Feb 3, 2013

The only thing that made this yuri manga was Natsu and President couple. I came to read for them just a few pages and dropped this one immediately. I didn't smell any Yuri scene at all (label it as incest doesn't help~nah). No wonder why this one is the most drawn-out manga on Tsubomi.

AquarianDemocrat
Retry
joined Jan 23, 2012

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

joined Apr 23, 2014

This was kinda disappointing, the story entirely I mean. The only good thing about the ending is that it didn't try to destroy a Yuri ending completely. But as you can read in the Afterword, the story was centered on a "Rebuilding family" rather then "girls love" incest or no incest.

I dunno, the story felt like a sugar-driven car salesman: He offers a awesome deal before showing us the actual price.
Chapter 1, possibly Ch2 and others, left a impression of a Yuri tale of incest before switching to a unrequited side couple that ended sour and a screen time deprived side character couple, and finally the only Yuri in the end was the side characters.

Neat story, but man, way to waste my time. I was fine with the slice of life vibes until the end because God knows how many of those I've watched or read.

Conclusion: Interesting story stays interesting at the cost of Yuri, which was possible without incest, and a change of behaviour at the end by a character we never cared about until then not to mention it felt like the yandre bit in the last few chappies was a trait pulled straight out its own a$$, a ability that many slice of lifes use to get interest/reactions/money/emotions/etc.

Final Verdict: 6.8 of 10. Great story pulled too much out of its rear end to get to where it wanted, destroying almost all the yuri in the end. Author's afterword clearly says nothing about yuri, so there you go.

last edited at Oct 19, 2014 9:59AM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

wow better than happy end cough* i mean bad end!
yes rebuilding family by becoming each other waifu.

886f8d05.m
joined Mar 26, 2014

wait ... that's it? oh... ok.

joined Apr 26, 2014

can't wait for season 2~

joined Feb 15, 2013

Loled at this :D

last edited at Oct 19, 2014 11:58PM

joined Mar 30, 2012

with goggles on, rebuilding family obviously means they got together, come on.

I gotta read it all again to understand...

Yeah it felt all over the place and after so long I can't really remember what happened in the earlier chapters either

To reply you must either login or sign up.