Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

Img_9245
joined Mar 14, 2018

I love Chidori but her forehead got its own orbit. I must roast her with care.

Little%20ghost
joined Jan 4, 2019

I love Chidori but her forehead got its own orbit. I must roast her with care.

what! i love her forehead :(
she's gorgeous and we must protect her :)

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I love Chidori but her forehead got its own orbit.

And her breasts have their own galaxy

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I love Chidori but her forehead got its own orbit.

And her breasts have their own galaxy

Each.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I think that the point of Chidori encouraging Mai to confess wasn't so much for Mai as it was for Nanoha. Chidori could tell that Mai's intention was to avoid Nanoha like the plague and pretty much disappear from her life, very much like Igarashi did to her back when she was a freshman. I think she felt like, even though she was happier dating Nanoha, she never really got closure with Igarashi until Nanoha forced the issue earlier in the year. And it was clear that Nanoha was starting to feel that way as she sent texts to Mai that went unanswered.

So my take on it was that Chidori was trying to prevent Nanoha from feeling like her friend had abandoned her without any idea why and Mai not having regrets and getting closure was a byproduct of that.

last edited at Jun 16, 2020 5:48PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So my take on it was that Chidori was trying to prevent Nanoha from feeling like her friend had abandoned her without any idea why and Mai not having regrets and getting closure was a byproduct of that.

Bingo. (Although Chidori being a kind person and Mai being basically a good egg herself made that intervention possible.)

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Am I the only one that bothered by the fact that Senpai is spelled as "Sempai"?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

It's common localization of it. When spoken, Senpai is read as Sempai, so to make it easier for readers to read properly, I guess, it's often written as Sempai. As far as I know at least, translator here could have different reason to write it like that.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Am I the only one that bothered by the fact that Senpai is spelled as "Sempai"?

I spell it as "sempai" because that's how it's pronounced. ん isn't the same as "n". The moraic nasal is pronounced differently depending on the following sound. Before the bilabial consonants, "m", "b", and "p", it takes the form of the bilabial nasal, "m". That's why "tempura" is the standard spelling, not "tenpura".

It's common localization of it. When spoken, Senpai is read as Sempai, so to make it easier for readers to read properly, I guess, it's often written as Sempai. As far as I know at least, translator here could have different reason to write it like that.

It's not a "localization", it's a choice of romanization. Different romanization systems have different priorities. Some always render ん as "n" for the sake of allowing consistent transliteration between kana and the roman alphabet. That's an important consideration in translation textbooks or academic papers on linguistics, but it's completely unnecessary in fiction translations aimed for an English-speaking audience. Other romanization systems change how ん is rendered for the sake of informing readers how words are pronounced, and I think this is a much higher priority in these types of translations. Ultimately, there is no perfect romanization system, so I go with what I think best fulfills the needs of manga readers.

Also, so far as I know, basically no scanlators consistently follow any of the formal romanization systems. According to the Kunreisiki system, "senpai" is correct, but "shi" and "chi" are wrong (し is "si", and ち is "ti). According to the Hepburn system, "sempai" is correct, as are "shi" and "chi". Over the years, lots of people have told me that "sempai" is wrong and I should be writing it as "senpai", but I've never seen anyone complain that "chan" is wrong and I'm supposed to be writing it as "tyan". According to these complaints, the right way to transliterate Japanese is to follow most of the rules of Hepburn, except for the one that says that ん should be written as "m" before bilabial consonants. Oh, and Hepburn uses vowels macrons for extended vowels, while Kunreisiki uses accents, but no scanlators use either.

last edited at Jun 18, 2020 11:56PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm aware that there are different way to romanizing and no one is really "correct" or "official". That's the way I was taught, so I stick to it.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

I feel like what Chidori did in Ch 81 was completely unnecessary. Why would she tell Mai to tell Nanoha(her girlfriend) her true feeling? Somethings are better left unsaid. And now drama (which could’ve been avoided easily) happened. And it’s not only Mai who would be hurt hurt. Nanoha also would be hurt too.

Yeah no, those kinds of things are better to be told. At least Mai would have a proper answer to her feelings and can move on from that rejection. She is not bound by her love for Nanoha. And the drama has in fact been avoided by making the confession,

Mai already know that she doesn't stand a chance and while getting clear answer make easier for people to move on, it's still up to people. Many people move on without getting rejected. And some people couldn't move on even after getting rejected clearly. The most important thing is that they WANT to move on. But that's not my main problem here. My main problem is that Chidori is the one who tell Mai to confess to Nanoha. As I said in my last post, you just DON'T tell someone to confess their feeling to your girlfriend no matter how much you trust your girlfriend.

It that's what she wants to do, let her do it. I don't see an issue with this. There's no one way to be in a relationship.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Hey all, if you're a fan of the series and would like to see it continue, please consider purchasing a copy of the latest volume! Her recent tweets seem to indicate that the series is at significant risk of cancellation: https://twitter.com/kovachi_luka/status/1273874683549462530

You can purchase the latest volume of the series here: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4098501325/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ISQTEbRBGDTE5

If purchasing a copy is something you're interested in, but you don't know how to go about making an Amazon.jp account, feel free to reply here or message me on discord (Martin#4987) and I'll help you figure out the details!

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

igenetycs posted:

Hey all, if you're a fan of the series and would like to see it continue, please consider purchasing a copy of the latest volume! Her recent tweets seem to indicate that the series is at significant risk of cancellation: https://twitter.com/kovachi_luka/status/1273874683549462530

I'm not certain that suggests it's at risk of cancellation so much as she can't simply keep writing until they're completely through high school. At the pace they're going that'd be like 200-300 chapters or more and the story progression wouldn't really be able to keep up with that.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

igenetycs posted:

I'm not certain that suggests it's at risk of cancellation so much as she can't simply keep writing until they're completely through high school. At the pace they're going that'd be like 200-300 chapters or more and the story progression wouldn't really be able to keep up with that.

"I really want to keep writing this till they graduate. If you haven't bought the tankoubon yet, I really wish you would" seems to imply that one of those things is related to the other.

But who knows. It's not like she comes right out and says they're going to cancel it. Maybe she just wants people to buy her manga, a common and reasonable desire for a mangaka to have.

last edited at Jun 27, 2020 8:39AM

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Surprise! It's a basketball! With LEGS!! Level UP!

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

LOLL nice gift haha

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Surprise! It's a basketball! With LEGS!! Level UP!

LOL!

joined Feb 23, 2016

So happy we are getting more

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

"Secretly from everyone, the two of them are dating."

Never thought I'd be so glad to see those words again. Resume the fluffiness!

joined May 15, 2019

I spell it as "sempai" because that's how it's pronounced. ん isn't the same as "n". The moraic nasal is pronounced differently depending on the following sound. Before the bilabial consonants, "m", "b", and "p", it takes the form of the bilabial nasal, "m". That's why "tempura" is the standard spelling, not "tenpura".

This is also why "grandpa" becomes "gramps" instead of "granps"

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

See you fall, i'll miss you folks ;_;

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I hadn't thought of that one. The example I would use is something like how the same prefix is "in" in "invincible" but "im" in "imperfect".

But that's sorta a different issue, since there is a single accepted English spelling for most English words. When you're spelling out Japanese words, there are several competing standards, and sometimes people ignore all the standards and just go off and do their own thing. Kovachi Luka is not the "right" way to romanize 古鉢るか by any standard, but that's how she spells her name.

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

I hadn't thought of that one. The example I would use is something like how the same prefix is "in" in "invincible" but "im" in "imperfect".

But that's sorta a different issue, since there is a single accepted English spelling for most English words. When you're spelling out Japanese words, there are several competing standards, and sometimes people ignore all the standards and just go off and do their own thing. Kovachi Luka is not the "right" way to romanize 古鉢るか by any standard, but that's how she spells her name.

It's not just that you have competing standards for romanizing Japanese words, but the standards for converting kanji to kana have only been established in relatively recent time. Between regionalism and the desire to preserve tradition, it can be a somewhat contentious topic. Most of the reforms happened between 1920 and 1960-something. (They never really "completed" the reforms so much as threw their hands up and said, "Good enough.") For a period of ~250 years, the Japanese language didn't even distinguish between /n/ and /m/ sounds. In fact ん (n) is a fairly recent addition, and the character む (mu) was used for the syllabic nasal until the early 20th century. This is the case for the poem Iroha, which is sometimes used for the ordering of kana, similar to our ABCs.

last edited at Jul 1, 2020 4:32PM

joined Jul 20, 2020

I wish there’ll be more of this:3

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

The manager is a nice girl and a qt.

You can purchase the latest volume of the series here: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4098501325/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ISQTEbRBGDTE5

If purchasing a copy is something you're interested in, but you don't know how to go about making an Amazon.jp account, feel free to reply here or message me on discord (Martin#4987) and I'll help you figure out the details!

Do they sell them digitally anywhere? I don't feel like dealing with overseas book shipping costs considering I can't even read them, but I'd definitely like to support the author.

To reply you must either login or sign up.