Forum › Secret of the Princess discussion

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

What a wonderful story. I was waiting for it to be finished before I read it and I made the right decision.

One thing that got to me though, did anyone find it excessive that Miu was just about to freaking jump off the school building? Like if a person does that let alone your lover, wouldn't it mean that their mental stability is a little off.

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

One thing that got to me though, did anyone find it excessive that Miu was just about to freaking jump off the school building?

Did anyone not find it excessive? Is it even possible? That's the sort of thing that gets you sent to the loony bin.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Except she wasn't about to jump. Her thoughts tell you she wasn't. Its still kinda over the top yes but i'm pretty sure she wouldn't have. She was panicking and running not really suicidal (see earlier comments)

last edited at Jun 10, 2015 8:59AM

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Except she wasn't about to jump. Her thoughts tell you she wasn't. Its was still kinda over the top yes but im pretty sure she wouldn't have. She was panicking and running not really suicidal (see earlier comments)

Why did she go to the top of the building, to enjoy the nice view? Regardless if she had suicidal intentions from the beginning, she could have died if she had slipped. It was extremely dangerous especially since she wasn't in the right frame of mind.

Also the first place one would think to run, to get away from the person they want to avoid won't be the edge of a building would it?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Except she wasn't about to jump. Her thoughts tell you she wasn't. Its was still kinda over the top yes but im pretty sure she wouldn't have. She was panicking and running not really suicidal (see earlier comments)

Why did she go to the top of the building, to enjoy the nice view? Regardless if she had suicidal intentions from the beginning, she could have died if she had slipped. It was extremely dangerous especially since she wasn't in the right frame of mind.

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? Looking at where she is, the roof is only three stories up at most, and above large bushes. So even if she did jump, at most she might break an arm or get scratched up, but I doubt she'd die.

Yes, a dramatic location for a dramatic climax, but the whole thing was kind of done in broad, deliberately meolodramatic strokes as high school stuff goes. It fit.

Also the first place one would think to run, to get away from the person they want to avoid won't be the edge of a building would it?

You said "think", which is the exact thing she's not doing at that point. The sole thought was "go somewhere senpai isn't". After she's on the roof, she doesn't climb the fence right away, but only when she's trying to put a barrier between her and senpai. Which also has the story function of being somewhere a lot of people could see them. I doubt there was much actual thinking beyond that.

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

at most she might break an arm or get scratched up, but I doubt she'd die.

I wouldn't be so optimistic, myself.

If she were intending to jump (and walk away from it), I might agree. But even with the greenery (which may not even intercept her arc), physics is not on her side in a 10m fall and there's a high chance of death (or life-altering injuries that make you wish for death). Here's a useful document NASA put together that has a good chunk dedicated to impact acceleration tolerances: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930020462.pdf

Realistically, spinal injuries and internal bleeding are likely at half that height; and if she fractured the wrong vertebrae, she'd bleed out internally before they could even get her in an ambulance.

Yurimangac
joined Nov 15, 2013

Morinaga sensei!
thumbs up!

last edited at Jun 13, 2015 6:06PM

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

I'm not all the way caught up, but I don't know if I like that Miu girl. She's really self absorbed so far and I feel like the the athletic girl, while cliche, is wasted on her.

Also, I knew it before, but the first five pages of this comment section solidified how hard it is to criticize something on this website. It's happened to me more than once as well.

Ai,yo
joined Dec 24, 2014

Just this one thing:

You should try skirts and dresses once in a while, because YOU ARE A GIRL

couldn't hate this reasoning more. Like, seriously, do some people just need to obtain a bit of education on diversity and spectrum?.. gender expression doesn't oblige to correspond with gender identity, much less with whether a person is biologically ascribed as a dude or a girl. ._.

Edit: hope I didn't sound too tumblr-y, I've just had an ongoing problem with this Miu and her stereotypically standartized mindset from the start.

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 5:01PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Girls should wear school swimsuits. With a nametag. Everyone loves them.

Diiis
joined Sep 14, 2015

Fake gay? Nah.

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

I don't know what to say...
... It's perfect for me... I really like it. awesome!

Drinks%20cup
joined Feb 9, 2016

Everyone's having discussions about a lot of parts of the story but i cant stop thinking about...Miu...Shes a top lmaoooo.

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

Everyone's having discussions about a lot of parts of the story but i cant stop thinking about...Miu...Shes a top lmaoooo.

Dear derpalot I love your avatar image ("well, well, well, I bet Lenny didn't see this coming").

Sharkexpert12
2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

So mm seems to be somehow more gay then the characters she creates.

Cat
joined Jul 27, 2015

Oh my god I almost cried reading this.
It has been a long time since the last time I read something like this... I really love it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I love this one too, and it's a good example of where the official translation is fine in itself, but I like the Dynasty translation far better (and thanks, Yuri Girl 1001).

In particular, the character of Hirosawa loses some of the flavor that makes me like the character so much--"squatting as though to poop" becomes just "squatting," etc. I don't have the volume at hand at the moment, but her line "You are loved, kitten-chan" in Chap. 5, and her thought balloon, "These airheads are really something else" while the kouhai squee all around her, are a couple of my favorite moments in the series, and the official translation really flattens them out.

Also, I understand that the Mom's line, "If your sempai isn't the jewel of a palaquin!" might be a little opaque to some Western readers, but changing it to, "Maybe you'll marry rich!" makes her a much less sympathetic character. The official translation does clarify some phrasing in a couple of spots, but this series is an example of one that I'll tend to re-read here even when the hard copy is sitting right there on my shelf.

(And, "Yo! Seductress!" is obviously better than "Yo! Player!" on the grounds of rhythm alone.) :-)

last edited at Oct 23, 2017 10:16AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I'm... extremely late to this am I...
But, holy shit, did I enjoy this.
Also, I'm very disappointed no one noticed this:
mixed reactions by the (as long as we're concerned) unnamed side characters.
Some seemed obviously shocked, but others just seemed to have been overall happy and lowkey excited even. Tell me those smiles aren't those of people who enjoy the yuriness of that scene, I dare you, I double dare you!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm... extremely late to this am I...
But, holy shit, did I enjoy this.
Also, I'm very disappointed no one noticed this:
mixed reactions by the (as long as we're concerned) unnamed side characters.
Some seemed obviously shocked, but others just seemed to have been overall happy and lowkey excited even. Tell me those smiles aren't those of people who enjoy the yuriness of that scene, I dare you, I double dare you!

It’s all pretty obvious, BV—the dueling “prince” girls and their “fan” culture is the whole social background of the story.

It’s true that Miu’s classmates Nao and Yuki are somewhat weirded out at first by “two girls going out,” but Miu’s friend Kaori already has a serious girl-crush on Fujiwara, and she acknowledges the romantic nature of Miu’s feelings for Fujiwara before Miu does herself. The “background” girls in this one are ready to squee over princely coolness at the drop of a hat.

And although Hirosawa (the other prince) is surprised at the MCs’ relationship, it’s because Fujiwara always seemed like she wasn’t into that stuff—she doesn’t bat an eye at girls dating girls.

(Not to mention gung-ho-for-yuri Mom and the supportive ojou-sama’s domestics.)

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

This is still my favorite Morinaga Milk work, and maybe my favorite of the trope of prince yuri overall - the way at the end it all ties together with Miu acknowledging Fujiwara as her princess not her prince gives me all kinds of warm and fuzzy genderfeels.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is still my favorite Morinaga Milk work, and maybe my favorite of the trope of prince yuri overall - the way at the end it all ties together with Miu acknowledging Fujiwara as her princess not her prince gives me all kinds of warm and fuzzy genderfeels.

I tend to like all of MM's non-bizarre (i.e., Mare, the one with the sentient penis) work, and Girlfriends is obviously the most substantial in scope, but this story is the one closest to my heart, for lots of reasons--partly because Fujiwara is such an endearing dork (her "type" being a zombie shark) while remaining totally cool, and I love the interplay with Hirosawa, too.

Certainly prime Morinaga Milk at the top of her game.

FlameHazeKatsu
Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

sigh no matter how many times I read this, it doesn't fail to make me squeal every damn time. I effing love yuri.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Morinaga Milk loves the nekos to be konekos. Girls like Miu act like cats, mostly kittens.

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Compared to everything else that's said here? This conversation might as well be national level debate.

You call this a debate? When your opinions are absolute facts (for you)?

To reply you must either login or sign up.