Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Also dataminers have found the translated files for the remaining 2 Magius' and also the Nanaka uncap

Any idea of when we might get Iroha's 5* uncap?

@Veya From my understanding the Kamihami Cheese Panic occurred directly after the Nagisa's Wish event in the Japanese version of the game and also while it may have occurred around Halloween time in Japan from what I've heard it wasn't really a "Halloween event" like Karin's event last year in NA.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

While it is true that Kamihama Cheese Panic isn't strongly themed around Halloween, it still has a strong "sweets" theme due to Charlotte, so it has some connection to the season, which is what led to speculation that this event will be saved for Halloween so they have something for the season.

Plus somebody better pick up that phone, cuz I absolutely called it! Whereabouts of a Feather, translated as "Wings in the Wind", got announced this morning... I am actually quite proud of having predicted this one correctly, getting into the right mindset to think in #NATempo terms isn't an easy task...

last edited at Apr 20, 2020 5:39AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

From the hyperlinked fanfic:

There’s a method to my madness, you know that!

That line sounds suspiciously Hamlet-y.

last edited at Apr 20, 2020 6:08AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Oh yea, I totally forgot about Masara x Kokoro. They're very shippable indeed. Also they make a perfect couple, because they're making each other a better person. Masara helped Kokoro copy with result of her wish and thanks to her advice she started working on improving her life herself. Meanwhile Kokoro made Masara reconsider her approach and she started to care a little more about her life, whatever she's aware of it/wants to admit it or not.

Mitama x Momoko is another almost canon! Momoko was protecting Mitama from witches/farmed grief seeds for her and when shit hit the fan and Mitama had to abandon her neutrality, she made Momoko promise her she'll forever protect her.

And right, Kaede x Rena are pretty much a item. There's no other person who can deal with Rena the way Kaede can and Rena clearly have a soft spot for Kaede. Also Kaede giving back all the abuse on copy Rena was hilarious x3

I don't really ship them, but I joked about Nanaka x Akira, because in Mami's side story I believe, Mami comments how good of a pair they make and Akira says that she and Nanaka are a "odd couple".

I was so mad at Suzune event. I really don't understand why MR insist to tie everything together. They could just go for something that isn't clearly canon for either manga or main story of MR. I mean, I don't really consider most event stories canon anyway. To me event is supposed to introduce characters to you and make you curous about manga/whatever it's promoting. Like Nanoha's and Darc's events were done well in that regard. But Kazumi's and Suzune's were terrible. It told me nothing about Kazumi or what her manga is about (and from what I heard from friend, it's crazy and dark af). How I'm supposed to take character with amnesia who then finally remember that she... already had amnesia before! seriously? And Suzune's event was even worse. Not only it mainly featured 2 character where 1 dies in chapter 1 and other also pretty fast so they don't really get that much screen time (entire event I was like, ok but they're pretty much dead, who cares about them, then again I guess fleshing them out here was nice, but it's false advertisment) and what we got of Suzune was bare bones and pretty much copy/past Suzune wants to kill someone but fails, it actually portrayed Suzune as completely incompetent and harmless, when in manga, if she got drop on you and took you by surprise, you were dead, actually portrayed Nanaka as incompetent and stupid, cos instead of trying to kill a serial killer she just scared her off city using social media and pretty much become responsible for events of the manga and death of countless magical girls and on top of all of that, it actually spoiled the twist from the manga. I know the Suzune knows the truth and is going around killing magical girls because of that was revealed pretty early in manga, so i had no issue with that (it actually give you reason to check manga), but then after this clusterfuck of a plot half Suzune running around city, failing to do anything and half SoL with Arisa and Chisato triying to buy a book, at the very end they drop the fact that Suzune's memories were manipulated. What a joke of a event. Which reminds me. Veya you went into Suzune's backstory, but didn't actually mention the most important thing after she killed Tsubaki, she pretty much hid in her room all depressed and didn't want to do anything. It was Kagari's wish made out of vengeance that made her into the serial killer that she is in the manga and pretty much fucked up her, and many other megucas, entire life

About guessing events. People speculated Feathers event will happen after chapter 9 drops and after it we'll get Homura's, but they flipped it and we got Homura's first and then unexpected Nagisa's event, but it's not like people didn't expect Feathers next. Still good job.

Right also Konoha x Hazuki x Ayame is next blatant family MR introduced. Konoha and Hazuki are so obviously Ayame parents.

Also I'm the kind that prefer to ship characters that I can see having chemistry in the series, but I also don't mind shipping characters that I think would work together well, though I can't think if I ever had a ship like that from top of my head.

last edited at Apr 20, 2020 9:08AM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

It told me nothing about Kazumi or what her manga is about (and from what I heard from friend, it's crazy and dark af).

It's pretty good actually. It does suffer a bit from the most abused plot device in PMMM history (i.e. memory manipulation), but unless you disregard the spinoffs on principle I'd recommend giving it a shot.

And say what you will about Suzune Magica, but it does have good art.

last edited at Apr 20, 2020 9:54AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Okay, so, something to say about Suzune's event, is that there is a part 2 to it, which introduces Matsuri as playable in MagiReco, it has a similar ending to part 1, but a very important twist: The memory manipulation at the very end is done by Kagari herself, and while she messes with everyone else, she herself keeps all memories of the event, while also hinting very strongly at a potential part 3, which would introduce Kagari as playable, and potential resolve/give an alternate ending to the story of Suzune Magica, with fewer or entirely no deaths, due to interference from the Kamihama characters, even Chisato is still well and fine after part 2, and I already went into how quickly she got axed in her original story.

But tying everything together is just a gacha game thing in general, FGO does the same with its in-franchise collabs, though at least I understand wanting to dismiss Magia Clash/Nanoha collab specially, at least the Monogatari girls(which we haven't got in NA but frankly I don't care about them) have the decency of being explicitly non-canon, I just skipped the story of Magia Clash myself since I never watched and never will watch Nanoha, the aesthetic style just doesn't do it for me.

And yes, the event predicting thing, I was just parroting a lot of things I discussed back and forth with a friend in private, I am still happy I was able to nail it down so well and on the nick of time, just the day before it got actually announced.

EDIT: Also this is completely random, but Nevri, I think I just fought you in Mirrors... I didn't even have time to process the name before clicking the button, but as the fight was loading, I had that "...wait, what?" moment to it and I had to check right after...

last edited at Apr 20, 2020 11:09AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Speaking of FGO (another gacha game I play often) I think it'd be pretty interesting for them to do a collaboration event between that game and this one. I wonder how Mashu, Gudako, and depending on when it took place Romani would react to the magical girls and vise versa. What the Magius (or another group of magical girls or Homura) would do with the Holy Grail given it's wish granting machine properties.

On a somewhat related note, I could totally see Atalante being one of the Magius (Touka or Nemu's) servants given her love for children.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Legendary? While I do agree the Nanoha franchise and in particular the NanoFate ship is quite popular I don't know if I'd necessarily call it Legendary compared to other older ships like Sailor Neptune/Sailor Uranus.

Also Hinano needs her cute Kouhai (Emiri/Emily) to take care of her for life.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Okay so, my thing with Nanoha, is that I have an immense distaste for the militaristic and armored design aesthetics, it also hits some of my most disliked magical girl tropes, including my absolute most hated trope in "age-up physical transformations"...

Keeping in mind that my very first magical girl show ever was Card Captor Sakura, and how it informed a lot of my preferences in magical girl shows, PMMM ended up being the magical girl series that appeals to me the most in my adulthood, including: frilly and fancy outfits, no physical transformations whatsoever(they only really happen to Madoka and Homura once they ascend to godhood, at which point it is far more justified), a pure mystical magic system(PMMM got pretty close of losing that with Kyubey being an alien, but ultimately that detail affects the narrative very little, the point is that the magic feels like actual magic, and not magiscience or plain science), explanations that expand upon said magic system's details, and so on.

With that out of the way... today I finally did Sayaka's personal story, the only one I was missing to do, and the one I was dreading the most... and can I just say... I absoutely hate Kyosuke... or at least that's what I want to say, but... that boy has historically done... so damn little... that I cannot muster the energy to properly hate him, but he is still the cause of just so many problems just by merely existing... can MagiReco Sayaka please get her stuff together and realize that Kyosuke ain't it? I know she still haven't by the time of the most recent stuff in JP, but still... I just had to go rewatch the start of Rebellion again as a pallet cleanser after doing her personal story, up to the Cake Song or so, Sayaka is just so much at her very best in Rebellion in general...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

SuperText posted:

but unless you disregard the spinoffs on principle I'd recommend giving it a shot.

I read Suzune's manga, so I clearly have no issue with spinoffs and yea, it has good art.

Veya posted:

Okay, so, something to say about Suzune's event, is that there is a part 2 to it, which introduces Matsuri as playable in MagiReco, it has a similar ending to part 1, but a very important twist: The memory manipulation at the very end is done by Kagari herself, and while she messes with everyone else, she herself keeps all memories of the event, while also hinting very strongly at a potential part 3, which would introduce Kagari as playable, and potential resolve/give an alternate ending to the story of Suzune Magica, with fewer or entirely no deaths, due to interference from the Kamihama characters, even Chisato is still well and fine after part 2, and I already went into how quickly she got axed in her original story.

I honestly am not sure how I feel about it. If it's canon to the manga, what a cop-out. If it's not. I wish it was clearly stated that it's just a what if scenario or some kind of alternative take on events.

But tying everything together is just a gacha game thing in general

Honestly I think MR story in general would do much better with fans of OG series and newcomers if they just openly said it is just a different take on original story, because what imo hinders MR story the most right now is unclearness how canon exactly the story is and trying to tie it to everything else. Just have fun with different timelines/universes/whatever don't try to make everything make sense, because from what I saw so far, you're doing a poor job on it.

FGO does the same with its in-franchise collabs

FGO has the excuse that Fate franchise is a multiverse to begin with and it never made sense. It's build on contradictions, different outcomes and possibilities. So you can pretty much explain it with whatever jargon you want and it'll make sense in-universe. Madoka, for the most part, was very grounded. Sure it had timelines with Homura time traveling, but it was never said it's like multiple universes or something. It was clear Homura is living in 1, just repeats the same period over and over. What MR is doing is taking surprisingly simple and straightforward story about groundhog day month and makes it unnecessary complicated and bends over backwards to make it all make sense and tie together.

just the day before it got actually announced.

Yea that was pretty neat.

EDIT: Also this is completely random, but Nevri, I think I just fought you in Mirrors... I didn't even have time to process the name before clicking the button, but as the fight was loading, I had that "...wait, what?" moment to it and I had to check right after...

Oh yea xD I'm the same. I barely pay attention to names. Just looking for easy team to defeat. And yea, rank and leader of the team checks, though I use her first art. Do you remember what team composition it was? I use Homura, Yachiyo and Kyouko with Dark/Fire formation.

Sakura Cartelet posted:

Speaking of FGO (another gacha game I play often) I think it'd be pretty interesting for them to do a collaboration event between that game and this one. I wonder how Mashu, Gudako, and depending on when it took place Romani would react to the magical girls and vise versa. What the Magius (or another group of magical girls or Homura) would do with the Holy Grail given it's wish granting machine properties.

On a somewhat related note, I could totally see Atalante being one of the Magius (Touka or Nemu's) servants given her love for children.

Megucas as mages summoning servants? I can see that. And yea, especially since Roman was fan of virtual idol Magi☆Mari it'd be funny to see his reaction xD I'd need to think a bit more about what servants who could summon, but coming up with new servants, especially for setting like that, is fun too, but I get the main appeal would be seeing those characters interacting. Also Kyuubey would totally be a vessel for the grail.

Sakura Cartelet posted:

Legendary? While I do agree the Nanoha franchise and in particular the NanoFate ship is quite popular I don't know if I'd necessarily call it Legendary compared to other older ships like Sailor Neptune/Sailor Uranus.

I think they're legendary not in the sense of being a famous couple (whatever confirmed or not), but more like they're a go to example of lesbian married couple with a child. Sure they're not confirmed, but we don't have a confirmed example and they're pretty much subtext canon like Madoka girls etc. Heavily implied, but just never confirmed. At least that's my take on it.

Veya posted:

Okay so, my thing with Nanoha, is that I have an immense distaste for the militaristic and armored design aesthetics,

The funny thing is that they actually do not have armored designs like that in the original show. The armors they wear are only from third and forth movies (which the collab event is promoting, they use music from 4th movie) that unlike first and second that adapted first and second season of anime, are original content that is supposed to take place between season 2 and season 3 (I think, maybe they're just telling different story and taking plot into different direction altogether, I didn't watch them and I only read basic descriptions). Their normal designs are more typical Magical Girl kinds
Nanoha
Fate

it also hits some of my most disliked magical girl tropes, including my absolute most hated trope in "age-up physical transformations"...

They don't actually use it. Only Nanoha's adopted daughter uses it and only in 4th season and in 5th all child characters use it. So you can safely watch first 3 seasons (which most people consider the best anyway, and there's even plenty of people who hate 3rd) and never see it. Well I guess she does transform into her older self at the end of season 3, but that's more because of villain fucking with her body rather than her using some kind of power up. He tried to turn her into perfect weapon.

a pure mystical magic system, explanations that expand upon said magic system's details, and so on.

Well Nanoha usually avoid going into details, but their magic is pure science rather than magic, so I guess that one won't work for you. It's in fact one of the reasons it really appeals to some people, but I guess different people have different tastes.

I personally love detailed, understandable magic systems, because it's fun seeing how different characters use and explore/exploit different aspects of it and also makes ass-pulls and unclear stakes much rarer, which is a common issue with abstract magic with no rules, that often simply becomes deus ex machina and what characters can and can't do depends solely on the plot. It's very hard to keep proper tension with those and situations like character barely managing to do something often don't feel earned, because of proper lack of understanding how much effort does it really take, especially when the line when they hit their limit and when they can still keep going, feel very arbitrary.

That being said, I have nothing against pure mystical magic and it can be fun too, if done right. I actually hate when some series start with premise of "how they do it? magic", but later try to explain it using science. Like in Naruto at first they just used chakra to do ninja magic and I was perfectly fine with that explanations. But near end of the series they started to try explaining it with logic and reason and it just took all the charm from it.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

EvelineClariss posted:

Well the very thing about MagiReco is that it is indeed a different universe, if the Homura and Ultimate Madoka events didn't make that clear enough, they outright say it with every word in the end of the story

Yea, but it isn't clear when you start playing and especially when you watch anime. Also Homura's event is just recap of anime. I thought that's where they explain it, but they didn't and I was disappointed in event because of it. I believe you meant Madokami's and Homura's episode stories, as only they mention it. Also sucks to be you if you didn't drop either of them, because now you don't know it. I really don't like when vital information like that are part of something not everyone has access to. And the explanation is flimsy anyway. And they still try to tie it all together to OG series. What I meant is that they should just commit to it and say, it's different universe without any connection, here how story could go differently or something. No OG Homura's time traveling somehow caused this new universe to split of and live on it's own etc.

and besides, the very existence of the anime discards the game as being possibly canon, so they have some more freedom to work on stuff like that.

And that's my entire point. If it's not going to be canon anyway, stop trying to perfectly tie it to OG story and just do your own thing. Trying to tie everything together perfectly is only hurting it.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I honestly am not sure how I feel about it. If it's canon to the manga, what a cop-out. If it's not. I wish it was clearly stated that it's just a what if scenario or some kind of alternative take on events.

Oh, this is definitely an alternate take on the events, all of MagiReco is a separate universe from Cycles universe(AKA the original series universe) and that is made clearer through some story bits, I feel that I don't have nearly the same issues as you do with continuity because I am a bit more used to looser continuities that gachas have, my general rule for this is just: All events are canon to the continuity of the gacha, unless specifically noted, them being canon doesn't mean they are the latest chronologically as plenty of events tell stories that happened somewhere in the past(the same also applies to personal stories, though it is far more obvious there), seasonal events happen with a very healthy handing of Comicbook Time but this doesn't mean they are any less canon to those characters, the part 1 of main story in itself(for MagiReco specifically) happens within the six weeks of Homura's original time loop and ends at April 30th(or more accurately, on the morning of May 1st), as Walpurgis' involvement in the story pretty strongly locks down the date she appears on, well, Walpurgisnacht(the holiday, not the Witch).

For what is worth, it does make sense that all spinoffs would all exist at the same time in the world, and Madokami's personal story does adress the idea briefly by stating that the extremely unique situation in Kamihama, which said personal story also points out is unique to this one universe, is causing the threads of everyone's fates to be become intertwined and getting drawn to Kamihama, yes, this isn't something a newcomer would know, and I do agree it is a pretty important plot detail to lock behind a limited, if meta AF, SSR character, but at the same time, it is a complicated plot detail that you don't really need to know unless you are invested in the game and the franchise already, it would be horribly awkward and clunky to shove it at people's faces first and foremost when they start the game.

and besides, the very existence of the anime discards the game as being possibly canon, so they have some more freedom to work on stuff like that.

I wouldn't say that at all, if anything it is the inverse, the anime's season 2 is fated to end at the end of part 1, as there is simply not enough content in part 2 yet to make another anime season out of it, but the fact is that the game will keep going, I simply consider the game and the anime as separate canons, with the game taking priority over the anime due to seniority and due to being far more expansive, plus I feel that trying to dismiss the game in favor of the anime is akin to trying to dismiss a manga in favor of its anime, and try doing that to a Dragon Ball fan to see how well that ends for you...

And about Nanoha, I actually know... far more about that series than I should know, due to one friend of mine who is a little too much into it... to the point I avoid posting any NanoFate art that I come across at random at our Discord server out of fear of setting him off in yet another Nanoha rant... ultimately I know exactly what to expect and at which points to expect out of that series...

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 6:43PM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

SuperText posted:

but unless you disregard the spinoffs on principle I'd recommend giving it a shot.

I read Suzune's manga, so I clearly have no issue with spinoffs and yea, it has good art.

I know, mine was a generic "you"... But anyway.

I've not read Tart yet, but apparently there's some good yuri there..? Which is funny, considering the setting.

joined Apr 23, 2020

If I can add my 2 cents on the previous discussion about Nanoha, I think why NanoFate is considered legendary is because it was the first of it's kind to have blatantly gay main characters who were interested in each other - and not have some really dramatic destiny aka Kannazuki no Miko XD (Strawberry Panic's anime aired in 2006 while Nanoha aired in 2004). Marimite was a huge disappointment in that regard to me, they never got to NanoFate's point (they adopt a child, live in the same house, sleep in the same bed, at this point who cares whether they kiss on screen or not XD). Thus, it was accessible for people like me who cares more about yuri than the magical girl genre. For Sailor Uranus and Neptune, the fact that they are side characters to a show with straight MCs (talking about Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask here, I'm not a connoisseur of the Sailor series, watched maybe 2-3 episodes of the first season) is a turn off for people for are looking for yuri and not magical girl genre. I'd say they are a little less a legendary classic because of that. And Utena... yes she's very boyish, but isn't it like only the movie that gets gay? I wasn't able to get too far in that anime 'cause I wasn't understanding anything XD. I can't say for sure about that one.

Anyways, I come from this pic https://dynasty-scans.com/images/15217 and just finished reading the comment section. I wanna state that it's pretty obvious to me as well that Mifuyu is supposed to be Yachiyo's ex (let's remember that for yuri, you have to read between the lines since they'd never say it outright 'cause it could loose them fans -_-) and I think the anime made it even gayer between them and between YachiIro than it was in the game. I'm wondering though why wouldn't the game be canon as the anime is based on it? Anyways, I do agree with the person (Nevri I think) who said that if the Mifuyu/Iroha/Yachiyo trio were composed of boys and girls instead of just girls, they'd be seen as exes and bf/gf and yes that double standard is really annoying.

And I can't properly understand the Amane sisters' story, I only have one of the two in-game :'( (the weak one :) ) I know they lived apart and found each other quite recently, but I don't know what their wish was. But yes the anime quite pumped the gay up for them, I guess having a visual support for their lines just did it.

I just wanna mention that the 13th episode had me go WTF every two minutes. What the heck, Kaede wasn't brainwashed in the game???? And those doppels weren't there in the game either? And they chased off Mami, Iroha didn't fall into some hole in the ground? The whole anime had me go ??? a lot of times with how they decided to randomly change some things like events leading to the discovery of the Seance Shrine, the miraculous water thing (why the Hell did Iroha drink that water? She's a magical girl, clearly those things were some familiars-lookalike, in the game it was just a normal dude with water, much more believable that Iroha would drink it, it was not in some creepy dark alley??), can someone tell me if I just misunderstood the game or if the anime really went YOLO? And Alina's VA missed her laugh I was so sad, but overall Alina's character really respected her original awesomeness. I picked her at the start of the game, I had the feeling she was crazy XD never regretted it.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

(let's remember that for yuri, you have to read between the lines since they'd never say it outright 'cause it could loose them fans -_-)

Wouldn't that be the opposite thought ? But that's why i said it's headcanon and not outright canon.The same goes if they were boys/girls. If it isn't said outright then i don't believe it.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

YuriForTheWin posted:

I think the anime made it even gayer (...) between YachiIro than it was in the game.

You clearly played the game, but I think YachiIro is way more gayer in game than in anime so (not that they're not gay in anime, but game hammers it even more).

Anyways, I do agree with the person (Nevri I think) who said that if the Mifuyu/Iroha/Yachiyo trio were composed of boys and girls instead of just girls, they'd be seen as exes and bf/gf and yes that double standard is really annoying.

Yes, it was me, Nevri!

And I can't properly understand the Amane sisters' story, I only have one of the two in-game :'( (the weak one :) ) I know they lived apart and found each other quite recently, but I don't know what their wish was.

Well Tsukuyo's story is almost identical to Tsukasa's, just from her point of view. But in short, they lived very stressful lives and had high expectations put on them, they couldn't copy with very well. Then they meet each other and become ones another support and person to vent to and feel at ease with, but over time they started to get annoyed at the differences between them (rich vs poor) and cut their friendship over them. They went back to their lives, but without place to vent, they started to accumulate stress again and as their old way to deal with it didn't work anymore after tasting the feeling of finding someone who can understand you perfectly, they both lost conscious from fatigue and overworking. In hospital they realized they need each other to survive, but since they were afraid they might argue like that again, in order to avoid it, they wished "to never again hate each other". So simply they're incapable of getting mad at each other.

I just wanna mention that the 13th episode had me go WTF every two minutes. What the heck, Kaede wasn't brainwashed in the game???? And those doppels weren't there in the game either? And they chased off Mami, Iroha didn't fall into some hole in the ground?

Welcome to the club.

The whole anime had me go ??? a lot of times with how they decided to randomly change some things like events leading to the discovery of the Seance Shrine

Personally I liked a lot of changes, I felt like they actually made sense and worked better than original, but the issue was it was too rushed and they had nowhere near enough time to flesh everything out, so in the end anime suffered because of it.

the miraculous water thing (why the Hell did Iroha drink that water? She's a magical girl, clearly those things were some familiars-lookalike, in the game it was just a normal dude with water, much more believable that Iroha would drink it, it was not in some creepy dark alley??), can someone tell me if I just misunderstood the game or if the anime really went YOLO?

Well in game the old guy was also created by Rumor. They explain it that before you're aware of its existence, they don't register to you. The same way in game and in anime those familiars spreading rumors could talk to girls and they were 100% sure they're talking to a friend, when Iroha and Felicia encountered the old guy/went to that shady place in anime, for the first time, they saw everything as normal. Anime could just show it as normal first and when they went back there later, as it really looked like, but they decided to go crazy from the get go. Iroha was simply unaware of it and to her it all looked normal. Took me a sec to realize it, but once I did it made perfect sense to me.

Lilliwyt posted:

(let's remember that for yuri, you have to read between the lines since they'd never say it outright 'cause it could loose them fans -_-)

Wouldn't that be the opposite thought ?

No? Yuri is niche within a niche. Unless series/franchise is primarily yuri, adding confirmed yuri is bad idea. That's why most CGDCS etc. have yuri subtext at best, but never confirm their character to be lesbian (confirming they're straight is fine) to not alienated potential viewers that might like character and want to imagine relationship with them (waifu'ing). Same for most games, especially gacha games. Yuri fans and potential LGBT people who would be happy for the inclusion are a vast minority compare to rest of fanbase that want characters to be straight. That's the main reason most anime has no on screen confirmed gay characters and subtext is so hated. Even clearly gay character are often not confirmed, so people who don't want to/don't see them as gay can see them as straight instead. And yuri fans will see subtext everywhere and ship them regardless if they're confirmed or not, so why should they bother going out of their way to confirm anything?

last edited at Apr 23, 2020 2:50PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Even clearly gay character are often not confirmed, so people who don't want to/don't see them as gay can see them as straight instead.

That's straight up homophobic and shouldn't be a thing.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Lilliwyt posted:

Even clearly gay character are often not confirmed, so people who don't want to/don't see them as gay can see them as straight instead.

That's straight up homophobic and shouldn't be a thing.

Tell me about it. Yet that's still how majority of world works. Right now pleasing LGBT people is seen as potential risk rather than gain, so it must be calculated very carefully before going for it. And 99 times out of 100, companies decide it's not worth it.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

The point about companies being unwilling to commit to LGBT+ characters is something I always had a lot of difficulty getting across to people, because a lot of the time straight people who aren't particularly interested yuri or yaoi communities will dismiss the point entirely, saying that I am either reading too much into it or that I have a victim mentality over it, it is something I grown to appreciate Disney for in the most backwards way possible, they are so blatantly weasily about adding secondary LGBT characters who can be easily edited out for Chinese markets, that it makes it easy to get my point across.

With that out of the way, let's talk about more fun stuff, shall we?

Since the Wings in the Wind event came out, I've rapidly burned through it, as the world situation gives many of us a lot of free time these days, and I reached some key scenes towards the end, and... just this goddamn line from Shizuku... it is the type of line that is next to impossible to read without picking up on romantic context, and this got me completely on board that pairing even though I was unsure if they were necessarily it up till this point... it is always amusing when you come across the "Oh, so this is why this is a ship..." moments, y'now?

As a side thing, since I already finished the challenge quest ladder, a number of the side blurbs that change every 5 fights are connected and I had been screenshotting them, which I then cropped and compiled into an album, which I dubbed the Newsletter Arc, just a funny side thing to share since I know not everyone completes the ladder in these events.

One more thing, JP not too long ago released Ao Kasame, another of the Promised Blood girls, as playable, and her personal Memoria has an interesting detail... specifically look at the yellow and blue cars on the board... the funniest thing is that this is a joke MagiRepo did not too long ago...

joined Apr 23, 2020

Since we are discussing ships, someone explain to me why Yachiyo/Sana is decently popular ship on the JP? Is it the case of 'I like these two together so I ship it' or do they have meaningful interactions in the game?

last edited at Apr 23, 2020 10:53PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

While I don't dab too much into the JP side of the fanbase, my impression of Yachiyo/Sana is that they are teamates and respect each other with Yachiyo (and Iroha) sometimes acting as Sana and Felicia's parents so I guess it could be grounds for a ship (YachiSana). Having said that Sana seems to (romantically) like Iroha more than Yachiyo as seen in various chapters in the game.

@Nevri Yuri a niche within a Niche? From what I've seen yuri and (to a lesser degree?) yaoi are nowhere near as niche as they were in the past. Game developers such as Nintendo's recent Fire Emblem: Three Houses has included LGBT options (Yuri, Edelgard, Dorothea, Mercedes, Sothis, and Rhea) and the in development Story of Seasons game is supposed to have gay options. Non video game media also seems to be more willing to put (subtle) gay characters in them.

last edited at Apr 23, 2020 11:37PM

joined Apr 23, 2020

Welcome to the club.

I would really love to talk to you about that whole paragraph (I read it all it was amazing), but we can't just fill this thread can we XD. Does Dynasty have some kind of private messaging system?

And yeah companies making LGBT+ main cast is like Disney promising Elsa will be gay : it will never happen XD. But I have the same problem that people just don't believe me when I try to explain to them why yuri barely ever is canon and why Citrus and YagaKimi are huge exception to the yuri genre. People come up in the last few months looking for 'things like Citrus' and I'm just like oof, good luck (and don't fuck it up, thanks Ru Paul). I see so much new yuri fans who hate subtext and I'm just like : you'll be SO disappointed, the whole community is just subtext ships everywhere. Like Love Live is huge but, there's no canon gay in it. Just a bunch of girls without boys anime.

Also have the same problem trying to explain to people why, as a girl, watching something with a male MC just isn't the same than with a female MC. Males MCs are so over-represented, makes me feel like girls just can't be MC meaning they kinda aren't important? Anyway that's just how I feel, but thank God for yuri with all those lady MCs!

And to respect that thread's initial goal, can we all agree that Alina is a-ma-zing through her whole crazyness? I just love her as a villain, no : I really hate the world and people and I want to be BAD. Nah she doesn't care about that, she just does her thing that makes HER happy, she manipulates whoever she wants, but then when we see her story in the game, she isn't exactly a bad person either? She's just that crazy artist kinda like Nietzsche who became crazy at the end of his life (because Syphilis) who sees the world completely differently. I can't put the right words on it, but I just love her. I love Touko as well, but she's kinda the classic : I'm bad because I do something for science that is seen as bad but is actually necessary for some people. But then again, no outright I'm just bad to be bad because I love to be bad. And Nemu... I don't know? We haven't seen her that much in game, can't really say anything about her.

I love villains like a purpose, the perfect example was the Wolkenritters in Nanoha season 2 (A's) who were just trying to save Hayate. Their actions actually benefits people, and in the case of the Magius, not just one person but a whole bunch of people. They might not be the majority of humanity, but they are a few hundreds? not sure how many megucas there are but still. Madoka Magica just has it with making good villains. (I loved Kyubey as a 'villain' though I don't really see them as a villain that much since as humans we do the same thing and would do the same if we could let's face it). And don't get me started on how fabulous Homura's character is, she never was a good person from the start, not a villain either exactly but like she would leave Sayaka to die (and so would I XD) and all the others to save Madoka. Alina and Homura (at the end of all her time loops) aren't all that different, they just don't express their feelings in the same way but at the core, they're similar. And I want MORE of Homucifer ASAP.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I don't like Homucifer in Rebellion given what I've read she does to Madoka and her friends. As for other versions of Homura, I think that Moemura (including her representation in this game) probably was a good if a bit on the timid side person at least compared to some characters in other fandoms and Homura's personality in later timelines.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya

it is something I grown to appreciate Disney for in the most backwards way possible, they are so blatantly weasily about adding secondary LGBT characters who can be easily edited out for Chinese markets, that it makes it easy to get my point across.

Oh yea. I noticed that too and it really pisses me off. Like they're officially so for LGBT representation and all that, but all their movies carefully avoid adding any major LGBT characters and the ones that are there, are easily removable. Same thing with Youtube and encouraging LGBT creators to us it, while demonetizing/hiding their content (and lying that they don't do it), because rest of the world don't like them and they want to appeal to other countries to use site as well.

Speaking of event, I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I really hate Shizuku as a character (I read her side story). Also that's the issue with brainwashing. How I'm supposed to take seriously anything that happens to her and all the interactions she has right now, when I have no idea how much is influenced by it? I assume all it did was making her think Wings of the Magius is place she belongs, but I'm only assuming that...

Sakura Cartelet
@Nevri Yuri a niche within a Niche? From what I've seen yuri and (to a lesser degree?) yaoi are nowhere near as niche as they were in the past. Game developers such as Nintendo's recent Fire Emblem: Three Houses has included LGBT options (Yuri, Edelgard, Dorothea, Mercedes, Sothis, and Rhea) and the in development Story of Seasons game is supposed to have gay options. Non video game media also seems to be more willing to put (subtle) gay characters in them.

Oh it definitely got better in recent years. I'm not denying it. But still it's rather a exception than rule. Some companies are just more LGBT friendly than others, so I wouldn't really see it as a rising trend. Not yet anyway.

YuriForTheWin

(I read it all it was amazing)

Thanks! I put all my heart into it x3

I would really love to talk to you about that whole paragraph, but we can't just fill this thread can we XD. Does Dynasty have some kind of private messaging system?

Sadly it doesn't. It has IRC and Discord server, but I think it's fine to talk about it here. It's kinda the place for it + there are thread for series that have way longer discussions by few same people and some thread are for series that aren't even hosted on dynasty so.

And don't get me started on how fabulous Homura's character is, she never was a good person from the start, not a villain either exactly but like she would leave Sayaka to die (and so would I XD) and all the others to save Madoka. Alina and Homura (at the end of all her time loops) aren't all that different, they just don't express their feelings in the same way but at the core, they're similar.

Unless I'm terribly misreading OG series, I feel like a lot of people vastly misunderstands Homura's character. Even in the last timeline we see, aka the plot of animu, she's clearly not a bad person. People say how she never cared about anyone else than Madoka and she's fine with ignoring and leaving to die other character, but that's not true. In episode 3, she comes to kill Charlotte and tells Mami to let her handle it because she knows Mami will die. And when Mami binds her, she's clearly agitated and tries to stop her, because she don't want Mami to die (even when we see their first failed attempt at fighting Walpurgisnacht, she's clearly disturbed by Mami's death). Later when Kyouko and Sayaka are having their duel on the bridge and Madoka throws Sayaka's soul gem away, Homura rushes to get it without skipping a beat. If she didn't care about her, she wouldn't even bother, yet her first instinct was to "save" her. And she was clearly angry at Kyuubey when he let Kyouko died, because again, she cares about them. Just over all her timelines, she never manged to save everyone and whenever she tried to tell them the truth, they didn't believe her, or worse, it backfired, so she gave up on trying to save everyone and only focused on Madoka, but she still tries to keep everyone safe. She just prioritizes Madoka first and tries to not show her emotions when others get killed (and well, seeing them die over and over definitely would numb anyone to the sight), but she still pretty much don't want them to die.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 4:37AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

So I feel I need to address a few points here...

Sakura Cartelet posted:
From what I've seen yuri and (to a lesser degree?) yaoi are nowhere near as niche as they were in the past.

This is actually true, things are improving, baby steps but they are, but things improving doesn't mean things are good yet, there is still a lot of ground to cover and Japan is still immensely homophobic,

Game developers such as Nintendo's recent Fire Emblem: Three Houses has included LGBT options

This is only poking the surface of the situation, here's a few other points to consider:

1. The number of LGBT options are still significantly lower than the number of straight options.
  2. There is exactly one entire male same-sex option in the entire base game.
  3. Even taking in account DLC, there is still fewer male same-sex options than there are female same-sex options.
  4. And this is the most important point, all the same-sex options are bisexual, I am not trying to say bi people are not LGBT by any means, but rather that that it is done in a way that doesn't deprive straight players of anything(going back to Nevri's point about "waifu'ing"), and this would not be a problem if every single S-Support was a bi option(at that point it would be just keeping the playing field option to all players), but the way it is done is such that straight options have this entire banquet, and same-sex options have a few select scraps from said banquet.

This goes back to what I said about baby steps, is this better than not having it? yes, but it is still not brilliant, and the concesions made to make this happen at all are visible once you put it up to scrutiny, while also not taking away from Nintendo's willingness to have it at all, again, it is better than to not have and there is an effort to make something happen within limitations.

Sakura Cartelet posted:
I don't like Homucifer in Rebellion given what I've read she does to Madoka and her friends.

Okay I need to know, what the hell did you read? there is a lot of horribly uncharitable interpretations of Homura's actions in Rebellion out there, when the only objectively negative she did was to forcibly separate Madoka from the Law of Cycles, and even that has a lot, and I mean a lot, of factual information riding in Homura's favor, most notably that being god was goddamn awful, being horribly lonely and oppressive, Madoka was hanging by a thread and, as Madokami's own Personal Memoria in MagiReco points out, Homura trying to make things work during Wraith Arc(which ultimately failed, which is why Rebellion happened in first place) was the last thing holding her together.

I have always been of mind that if Homura had simply sit up, and asked Madoka to go back with her, Madoka would've at that point, and that's Homura's only true mistake, she was simply desperate to make anything work at that point, and she was not about to risk letting Madoka's self-sacrificing nature stop her.

YuriForTheWin posted:
(I loved Kyubey as a 'villain' though I don't really see them as a villain that much since as humans we do the same thing and would do the same if we could let's face it)

Okay let me stop you right there, a human doing what Kyubey does would still be pretty vile, even his livestock analogy is incredibly flawed when you consider what becoming a Witch actually means, it isn't just dying, it is having your very soul warped by literal physical suffering and despair, and becoming an eldritch abomination can and often will harm your very loved ones... the only way the livestock analogy would work would be if the only way humans killed cows for consumption was through intense systematic torture.

And I want MORE of Homucifer ASAP.

Oh absolutely, I am really hoping she will be the next Ultimate type character for MagiReco as she is my ultimate goal for this game, and I have a lot saved up to bring her to 4 slots when the time comes.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 4:19AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.