Forum › Run Away With Me, Girl discussion

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

What in the world are people cheering for someone who just show domestical abuse ?

There are plenty of men on this forum

And to think somebody tried to get me banned just for saying people are too soft on the female characters.

You agreed with Tazune in saying Midori is 'just an idiot with a cute face' and said Midori deserves what's happening to her, then acted smug when you were given exactly what you wanted and shown from Tazune's perspective that he's an abusive shitheel and people expected a bit of humility after being so obstinate. Maybe it's not that people are 'too soft on the female characters'. :V

That said, I mean are they wrong? Men might find themselves sympathizing with Tazune for whatever reason, and I dunno, just see him as a rude But Not Abusive guy.

Beyond that, god I can't believe this thread for this series. After pages of victim blaming, saying Midori deserves what is happening to her, and arguing over whether or not a dude who's raising red flag after red flag is an abuser (I still don't even see why people would even care to defend him. He's not real, y'all.) And once we got a 100% clear From The Guy Himself perspective chapter that shows he's not just a mundane asshole, he's a misogynistic dipshit with some heavy chips on his shoulder, people act like it's some act of horrible story telling or whatever. Go find a different manga y'all, because this one clearly isn't

Not saying that you're wrong but I think this chapter was focusing on why we should feel bad for him in a way, somehow this manga makes us feel bad for the people that we really shouldn't be feeling bad for as much as Maki. I guess instead of focusing on the character who's heart is broken, this manga is just to focus on the other characters instead.

joined Sep 13, 2018

Not saying that you're wrong but I think this chapter was focusing on why we should feel bad for him in a way, somehow this manga makes us feel bad for the people that we really shouldn't be feeling bad for as much as Maki. I guess instead of focusing on the character who's heart is broken, this manga is just to focus on the other characters instead.

I dunno, as someone who grew up in a way not to dissimilar to Tazune, I don't feel any sympathy to the prick for deciding women are his little playthings because he was bullied as a kid by them.

We'll get some more Maki perspective chapters I'm sure of it. We just swapped to her finally coming back into the plot because Midori sought her out/ran into her again. I wouldn't be surprised if chapter 7 is they seeing each other again, then Maki kind of expressing her feelings, then a flashback to after Midori said "we probably shouldn't keep seeing each other". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't swap back to Midori til like, at least chapter 10 and we get plenty of Maki perspective and angst.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

As a man, I can understand how Tazune became the way he is. I experienced a couple similar instances when I was a teenager. That does not, however, excuse the person he has become in the slightest. I've never abused a woman in my life, and if I met the women who bullied me again, I would have no problem treating them like it had never happened. This is because I understand that being a teenager is like someone pumping you full of drugs that make you a complete asshole just for fun. I don't blame them for how they acted, and I don't even want or expect an apology. I'm sure they regret lots of things from their teenage years.

Unfortunately, Tazune, as well as tons of other misogynistic assholes and incels, see their teenage years as something for which to get revenge. It's a huge problem in our current society, and the author's done a good job in portraying how vulnerable and damaged women are targeted by these people. I can only hope Midori finally comes to her senses and chooses the love she should have had so long ago.

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

This is a trainwreck, and I really want to see how it all wraps up.

I stopped reading a few chapters back; now I'm just waiting for the wrapped up series, to see if it's worth it, and reading the comments...

I feel this. It's how I handle most dramas once they've hit a certain level of angst. This one hasn't hit that level for me yet, but I pop back into My Unrequited Love every once in a while just to see what's changed.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Omegand posted:

Also how's did it go to the deep end 'this much'? Its just a pretty realistic portrayal of abuse.

If this is realistic then I guess humanity is more doomed than I thought it to be

This is the post of someone clearly not remotely familiar with domestic abuse. Because it's pretty realistic. The primary difference between Tazune and most domestic abusers is that most domestic abusers tend to learn their behavior from their father. But do note I said "most" and not "all" since some, like Tazune, don't.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Just gonna speak AS A MAN and say domestic abusers are trash.

I don't think it's terribly hard to understand Tazune, the Doors sung years ago "women seem wicked when you're unwanted" and I'm sure even lesbians sometimes feel resentment stemming from a feeling of being unwanted - though being women themselves are probably less prone to constructing the sort of incel fantasy out of it. I have had a shitty love life, but since many of my closest friends have been female, I don't fall into that trap. If you don't have female friends (or vice versa) it's not hard to view the opposite sex as "other" rather than a human like you.

I think the posters who mentioned the pick up artist thing have a point. Tazune doesn't even see Midori, she's just another girl like any other, "good enough". He knows how to play the game - and there is something of a game to flirting and sex, we all know people who naturally or through practice seem to have a lot of sex, can always seem to get people in bed - but he still hasn't seen any of them as human beings like himself. He's a pretty trash person all around and him having been treated as unwanted or sexually "invisible" doesn't really make him very sympathetic to me. Being treated that way is very common for men and rare for women, though lesbians who keep falling for straight women will know what I mean by being sexually invisible.

That said, I don't consider this very realistic, usually abusers have seen it in their family or close to them and normalized this sort of behavior to themselves, but it seems to not have anything to do with being good or bad at picking up women.

That said I think a bigger point is being made and missed here. There is a theme about society's expectations and playing to them that is central to this manga. Both Midori and Tazune are illustrations of this (though Midori at least isn't an asshole). The regressive cultural norms about what women and men should do and how they should act are being played out. Toxic masculinity, comp het, the dating and getting married thing, all of it. It's the same toxic shit producing "red pill" incels or even gold diggers (who play the distaff role to toxic men, a toxic femininity that sees men as objects to be used). The point is these people have not so much defined themselves as let themselves be defined by what society says. Tazune is getting cheap self worth defined by how women treat him, which is why he is an asshole. I think the author is showing that this self image was threatened and that's why he became physically abusive. He doesn't have a core of self worth, it's entirely based on the toxic ideas from society about what it means to be a "man".

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

What in the world are people cheering for someone who just show domestical abuse ?

As a man, I'll indulge in giving the obligatory reminder that those people are just a disproportionately vocal minority, even among men on this site.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The positive or sympathetic readings of Tazune, or even the ones equating his behavior with Midori's, are entirely baffling to me. Every single character beat involving him (including the ones that start out neutral or apparently benign) end up being extremely negative.

And I'm not kidding when I say that one of the worst (or rather, one of the most telling) is his refusal to turn his socks rightside-out for the laundry, because it's such a simple request from his partner to make her life just a little easier and it shows how little he cares about her and her needs.

I really think that prior to this chapter some readers were unconsciously cueing on the fact that visually he has a "good guy" character design and is often drawn wide-eyed and smiling, even though what he's saying and his underlying attitudes are totally unprocessed sewage.

Mmmm
joined Dec 13, 2019

tazune's backstory ain't even thought out well
"oh boo hoo, he got made fun of by some girls." who caaaaares lmao

You don't actually understand how any of this works do you.

i was mostly aiming this at the people trying to paint him as someone to sympathize with
like i said, if anything, the author included this chapter to erase any doubt that he's rotten

i don't get how tagging works here either, so. @anyone what exactly did midori do wrong? i keep seeing people say she's just as bad as tazune but that's like saying...anthy's just as bad as akio

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 11:32AM

joined Sep 5, 2018

i don't get how tagging works here either, so. @anyone what exactly did midori do wrong? i keep seeing people say she's just as bad as tazune but that's like saying...anthy's just as bad as akio

I believe there’s no site-supported tagging here. Just write whatever and hope the user notices.

When Midori and Maki were going out in high school, Maki was obviously in it for the long term but Midori dropped her like a hot potato after graduation to pursue the society-demanded happiness of marrying a man and having children. Now that they met again, Midori seems to only use Maki for some emotional comfort and leaves her hanging otherwise.

Both things are pretty shitty, obviously. From what I see, commenters disagree about whether to put the blame on society or on Midori. The ones blaming her seem to be holding her personally responsible for being a shitty person, even though from a different perspective her only fault would be not being strong enough to reject the societal pressure.

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 12:06PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

It could be argued both Midori and Tazune are victims of equally their respective childhood traumas and gendered cultural expectations they don't know how (or care) to interpret in benign ways and lack the courage or will to buck. (They're also both sufficiently obviously dysfunctional people for perceptive outside observers in-universe to notice and be able to construct pretty accurate amateur-psychological profiles of.)

The key difference between the two is that Midori became a Stepford Smiler who essentially just hurts herself while Tazune's the one who unhesitantly dived headfirst into malign abuse of others.

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 12:19PM

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

And to think somebody tried to get me banned just for saying people are too soft on the female characters.

You agreed with Tazune in saying Midori is 'just an idiot with a cute face' and said Midori deserves what's happening to her, then acted smug when you were given exactly what you wanted and shown from Tazune's perspective that he's an abusive shitheel and people expected a bit of humility after being so obstinate. Maybe it's not that people are 'too soft on the female characters'. :V

Midori IS an idiot. That much is a fact. And I said both characters were shitty and deserved each other. I never said she deserved to be abused. Paint the whole picture and don't lie by omission.

That said, I mean are they wrong? Men might find themselves sympathizing with Tazune for whatever reason, and I dunno, just see him as a rude But Not Abusive guy.

Yes they are wrong, unless you've done a ratio of men to women perspective on this forum? Besides, its quite hypocritical to hammer on about misogyny and then turn around and claim men sympathise with and excuse domestic abusers.

Beyond that, god I can't believe this thread for this series. After pages of victim blaming, saying Midori deserves what is happening to her, and arguing over whether or not a dude who's raising red flag after red flag is an abuser (I still don't even see why people would even care to defend him. He's not real, y'all.) And once we got a 100% clear From The Guy Himself perspective chapter that shows he's not just a mundane asshole, he's a misogynistic dipshit with some heavy chips on his shoulder, people act like it's some act of horrible story telling or whatever. Go find a different manga y'all, because this one clearly isn't

Nobody cares about Tazune. Nobody read this manga for Tazune. We're on a YURI website. What people, myself included, were pointing out is that Midori is a shitty person herself and when we pointed that out you all instead found reasons to excuse her behaviour and I played devil's advocate to do the same with Tazune. You were all just pissed off because I dared to suggest Tazune may have the same reasons you used to defend Midori. I may pick you up on that reading something else suggestion though because this manga is full of a bunch of hateful caricatures. The most interesting thing about it has been the discussion board.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Midori IS an idiot. That much is a fact. And I said both characters were shitty and deserved each other. I never said she deserved to be abused. Paint the whole picture and don't lie by omission.

"I don't think she deserves to be abused, but she deserves to be with her abuser" is one hell of a technicality.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

"I don't think she deserves to be abused, but she deserves to be with her abuser" is one hell of a technicality.

Bearing in mind my held view was that she wasn't being abused prior to the recent chapter, Tazune was just a dick****

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 12:53PM

found reasons to excuse her behaviour and I played devil's advocate to do the same with Tazune. You were all just pissed off because I dared to suggest Tazune may have the same reasons you used to defend Midori.

Ah yes, exactly why I come to the discussion boards of a website for media depicting women loving women: to hear the input of a man playing "devil's advocate" for an abusive man and equating his actions with the victim's. The devil doesn't need your advocacy, boy.

The most interesting thing about it has been the discussion board.

At least nobody can say you're not having fun ruining it for everyone else.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Bearing in mind my held view was that she wasn't being abused prior to the recent chapter, Tazune was just a dick****

Care to articulate your actual metric for distinguishing "always being a self-centered dick" from "abuse"?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm more interested in how they are going to extricate Midori from this abusive relationship, than about the working of it, which is pretty common.

We can rant all day long about the shitty husband (are they married yet? I don't remember) , but I don't really care about him.

Now that the setting is up, I want to see how the Maki x Midori relationship is going to solve the problem.

And there's also that Komari character on Twitter. Pretty mysterious.

This manga should still have surprises in stock.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

found reasons to excuse her behaviour and I played devil's advocate to do the same with Tazune. You were all just pissed off because I dared to suggest Tazune may have the same reasons you used to defend Midori.

Ah yes, exactly why I come to the discussion boards of a website for media depicting women loving women: to hear the input of a man playing "devil's advocate" for an abusive man and equating his actions with the victim's. The devil doesn't need your advocacy, boy.

Why you came to this discussion board is none of my concern, sugarplum.

The most interesting thing about it has been the discussion board.

At least nobody can say you're not having fun ruining it for everyone else.

Opinions other than yours exist. Cry about it.

Care to articulate your actual metric for distinguishing "always being a self-centered dick" from "abuse"?

I actually did so already and I'm pretty sure you've read them. I maintained that calling her an idiot with a cute face wasn't abuse. It was insensitive and dickish. Abuse is systematic and repeated physical or emotional harassment by one in power of another, whether or not the intention is to harm the victim.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And there's also that Komari character on Twitter. Pretty mysterious.

This is the part I'm most interested in.

On a slightly different note, there's always an interesting dynamic in stories where a sympathetic lead character is in love, but there's a big gap between the view of the character and the view of the audience towards the loved one.

I understand why Maki had, and still has, feelings for Midori without thinking (at this point) that it's a good idea if the two of them get together, so hence my curiosity about the Twitter person.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I actually did so already and I'm pretty sure you've read them. I maintained that calling her an idiot with a cute face wasn't abuse. It was insensitive and dickish. Abuse is systematic and repeated physical or emotional harassment by one in power of another, whether or not the intention is to harm the victim.

You're right--I did read them, and I thought they were specious and unconvincing.

I just thought maybe you might have something better.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"calling her an idiot with a cute face wasn't abuse"

Yes it is. That's pretty much abuse. Especially if it's in front of someone else.

last edited at Feb 27, 2020 5:09AM

Do you think this chapter was a plot twist? Did Tazune just become an abuser this chapter? Or is it perhaps possible that Tazune's character was written as an abuser all along, and you just obstinately chose to deny the signs as abuse apologists do?

Funny words from someone who was just whining about people not liking your shitty, god-awful takes.

You were all just pissed off because I dared to suggest Tazune may have the same reasons you used to defend Midori.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

You're right--I did read them, and I thought they were specious and unconvincing.

Better than my initial observation that Tazune wasn't being abusive until shown to be? Nope. Afraid I don't have something better than the manga.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Better than my initial observation that Tazune wasn't being abusive until shown to be? Nope. Afraid I don't have something better than the manga.

You really don't get it, do you? Tazune was shown to be abusive pretty much from the moment he was introduced.

Your distinction between "rudeness" and "abuse" for the patterns of behavior that we saw seems to be (at best) highly idiosyncratic.

And, again, specious and unconvincing.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

"calling her an idiot with a cute face wasn't abuse"

Yes it it. That's pretty much abuse. Especially if it's in front of someone else.

No, it isn't.

Do you think this chapter was a plot twist? Did Tazune just become an abuser this chapter? Or is it perhaps possible that Tazune's character was written as an abuser all along, and you just obstinately chose to deny the signs as abuse apologists do?

No, it gave us insight into Tazune's mind, which is what I wanted to determine how he perceived his own actions or why he was insensitive. If you're going to respond to me with so much venom and misandry at least have to courtesy to read my comments so you know what you're getting involved with. This discussion happened earlier than the comment your responded to.

Of course being a yuri manga this was an inevitability but none of you had any concrete evidence to claim Midori was being abused outside of it made you feel some kind of way that he called her an idiot in front of Maki. You know full well had this been brought before a judge it would be disregarded.

Funny words from someone who was just whining about people not liking your shitty, god-awful takes.

Nobody has been whining more than you. You came here haughtily telling me you didn't want to see some man explain abuse as though you own the board. Go back to your safe space if it bothers you so much.

You really don't get it, do you? Tazune was shown to be abusive pretty much from the moment he was introduced.

Your distinction between "rudeness" and "abuse" for the patterns of behavior that we saw seems to be (at best) highly idiosyncratic.

And, again, specious and unconvincing.

I wasn't trying to convince you of anything. I told you what I thought because you responded to me. If you think your assertion that Tazune has been abusing Midori prior to his POV chapter would stand in court, or even outside the echo-chamber of D-S, then that's your opinion. I take the opposite. I have a strong suspicion you know it wouldn't.

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 2:19PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.