Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

joined Jan 25, 2017

Rather than dense, I think Shimamura's actually really perceptive. She picks up on a lot of stuff and understand most of the fine details of social interactions, but what actually might be the issue is whenever the behaviour Shimamura picks up are directed towards her. I think Shimamura is her own blind spot.

In general, she doesn't particularly perceive others nor herself as special, and just goes with the flow of these relationships being naturally created because the time and space allowed them to, and then the same relationships naturally fading away when people separate when they're no longer convenient.
Adachi and Taru don't fall into these categories of a natural flow, however.
She kinda gets that Taru and Adachi are gravitating towards her for some reason, but she doesn't know and wouldn't understand those reasons. I feel like she has a hard time pinpointing what her gut feelings and her intuition are telling her exactly because she doesn't relate to them, and finds those actions/desires strange. At best, she dissects the behaviour she observes and leaves them at that, without attributing a meaning to them if it's beyond her understanding of it.

The closest she can relate most of Adachi's actions to is her sister, and after meeting Adachi's mother, she's come to the conclusion that Adachi lacks affection and wants to be treated like a younger sister because she comes from an emotionally distant/broken home. Ever since she's settled on this explanation, I think it's further hindered her understanding of Adachi's actions, because she attributes most of her suspicious behaviour to this reason and generally falls back on it.
Other than that, when it escapes her understanding and she can't use any other experiences to explain it, in a very Shimamura-like fashion, she just accepts that Adachi/Taru are doing this and that, and just lets those things happen. Because even without understanding the specificities, it doesn't particularly bother her anyway, so there's no point in going against the flow.
"Well, whatever."

This was a good read IMO

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

"Well, whatever."

This, right here is Shimamura.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

"Well, whatever."

This, right here is Shimamura.

Shimamura is the living embodiment of "shouganai", lol

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

How is volume 5 progressing? Any ideas when the first chapter will come out and if it‘s gonna be this month? (Don‘t mean sneik & team to rush, just asking for an approximated date)

Moth%20rect
joined Jul 26, 2018

How is volume 5 progressing? Any ideas when the first chapter will come out and if it‘s gonna be this month? (Don‘t mean sneik & team to rush, just asking for an approximated date)

It'll be the first three chapters (well, the first two are not actual chapters, but rather, bonus stories), and yes, should be this month.

joined Oct 16, 2019

It'll be the first three chapters (well, the first two are not actual chapters, but rather, bonus stories), and yes, should be this month.

Nice! Take your time I‘ll look forward :)

last edited at Jan 14, 2020 10:05AM

67413148_p0
joined Jan 22, 2016

You are my hero!

Test
joined Apr 30, 2015

This may have come up before, haven't read through the comments wishing to avoid any and all spoilers, there was a line near the end of Vol.3 Ch.1 that I didn't understand the reference of and was wondering if anybody could enlighten me.

All in all, I was going to be spending a long time with her. A picture formed in my mind: Adachi, as the ****. But really, it was quite like her to want to exchange chocolates with a friend on Valentine's Day.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/adachi_and_shimamura_novel_ch01_2#40

Also I think I may have said this before but even if so, thanks a lot for the .epub release. Such a nice format to have to read it.

Moth%20rect
joined Jul 26, 2018

This may have come up before, haven't read through the comments wishing to avoid any and all spoilers, there was a line near the end of Vol.3 Ch.1 that I didn't understand the reference of and was wondering if anybody could enlighten me.

All in all, I was going to be spending a long time with her. A picture formed in my mind: Adachi, as the ****. But really, it was quite like her to want to exchange chocolates with a friend on Valentine's Day.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/adachi_and_shimamura_novel_ch01_2#40

Also I think I may have said this before but even if so, thanks a lot for the .epub release. Such a nice format to have to read it.

Right. That was a super confusing line in the Japanese too, and honestly, I'm not fully sure what it's supposed to mean myself.

Test
joined Apr 30, 2015

Heh, and she finds Adachi confusing sometimes. Ah well, guess that will remain a mystery.
Thanks for replying.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Because I am a jerk, I gotta say... this next release, just... yikes. And oof. Yoof? Either way...

joined Oct 16, 2019

Because I am a jerk, I gotta say... this next release, just... yikes. And oof. Yoof? Either way...

I‘m lowkey afraid.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I‘m lowkey afraid.

/channels The Witcher

Hmmm....

.... Fuck.

joined Mar 5, 2019

Y'ALL. I have two hours of homework that's due at midnight, why are you doing this to me?? I WANT TO READ THIS NOOOOOOOWWWW!!!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Y'ALL. I have two hours of homework that's due at midnight, why are you doing this to me?? I WANT TO READ THIS NOOOOOOOWWWW!!!

Yeah, this is how I look at my own mountain of work as well...

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Yeah, this is how I look at my own mountain of work as well...

Get it done! Think about how you'll get a nice reward of some more AdaShima soon-ish!

However I am not responsible for any feels felt once that time comes....

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

My god did you really finish on that ? That 6-7 pages of Adachi just venting up her anger on Shimamura, just to Shimamura answering in her classic style was both painful and laughable. I can totally understand both the vent up of Adachi and the answer of Shima but at the same time both are bit incondesirate. Adachi had no real right to be mad at Shimamura like that when she is awkward most of the time she talk to Shimamura but then again, her world has been shattered and she don't know how to properly react. For Shimamura, i guess i could have the same reaction and honestly i don't blame her because i too will had think it's a pain that someone rent so much on me for something I don't really understand but then again it's seem that she didn't even try to understand what Adachi was talking about.
On to Tarumi, i can't blame her for doing this. She have found the one she was looking for and want to deepen her bond with her after so many years aparts. She might be too aggresive for her own good but then again Shimamura is really dense so.
Oh and i really like that fortuneteller person.

Rps20190516_131448
joined Feb 8, 2019

Holy fucking shit!!
You can't do this to me, i will sell my soul for a new chapter if i have to but please give me one more~

joined Nov 7, 2013

wat torture is diz

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

wat torture is diz

the best kind: a super suspenseful emotionally charged evil cliffhanger o' doom

Holy shit, my poor baby when she said "do you hate me like mom does?" That broke my heart even more than the chapter had already broken it, she needs a hug, they were both just enjoying the azure of the summer sky, then bam feelings. I'm really interested to see how Shimamura is going to process this and how they'll move on from this. Thanks so much to the team again for all the hard work you guys do.

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

Yuh... Amazing and tortuous.

I look forward to that phone call in the anime if it ever gets to that point.

Women trouble indeed, guessing she is the same person Adachi met.

joined Sep 24, 2013

Good lord, what a place to end at.

This scene really reminded me of the phone call scenes from Ef - A Tale of Memories. The one where we hear Miyako's voicemails, as she gets increasingly desperate... Still one of my favorite scenes of all time.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Holy fuck

Please get Adachi a therapist

Me
joined Aug 6, 2018

Ah ha ha yes.
That phone call killed me

To reply you must either login or sign up.