Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

21294649_1973051396268417_6602197588240236544_n
joined Jun 7, 2015

Love this serie. Another team should pick this up.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

As I clicked through this, I was a little sad at each page because that was one less page there was to read.

Thanks to the scanlators for this.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Is this missing some pages? Some of the page transitions seem a little disjointed, like around 18 and 19?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

To be honest I'm still scared to resume this, but looks like everything will be daijoubu

joined Feb 23, 2016

I see

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

So the big brother did only accidentally read the "diary". Which also wasn't really much of a diary. That's fine then.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I just did it! and I was very veeeeeeeeery happy! because it was like a closure... LIKE if this gets an anime, it would probably end right here with 13 chapters hahaha. Thanks a lot! Also Matsuri's trying to hold herself was too cute so I'm dead ...good bye +_+

last edited at Jan 17, 2020 8:16PM

Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

One of the feel-good mangas out there. Reading Miss Sunflower always feels like coming home while at the same time feeling those fluttering feelings I only get from reading yuri / lesbian romances

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

I was hoping for a bigger reaction when Himawari-san realized she'd been turning down all of Matsuri's date invitations, but with as slow-paced/feel good as this manga is, I know that's a lot to ask for.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

thank you so much for continuing to work on this. these chapters make my day.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It really does read like there’s a page missing between 18 and 19–Matsuri’s reaction and dialogue doesn’t quite follow from the previous page.

EDIT: Except the page numbers seem to be right. So maybe (as is often the case with Himawari-san) I’m just not following Matsuri’s train of thought. (And I’m not sure how what she said would be like Nana-chan.)

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 11:23AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Blastaar posted:

It really does read like there’s a page missing between 18 and 19–Matsuri’s reaction and dialogue doesn’t quite follow from the previous page.

I don't find it really hard to follow but, I can prove it's right... You see in page 16 at the bottom you can see #142 and at 19 you'll see the #145 so... yeah, that's how it should be xP

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

I don't find it really hard to follow but, I can prove it's right... You see in page 16 at the bottom you can see #142 and at 19 you'll see the #145 so... yeah, that's how it should be xP

So how about explaining how Matsuri realizing that she felt like Himawari-san was rejecting her leads to the “HOW NICE!” outburst, for those of us who are slower of wit?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Blastaar posted:

Blastaar posted:

So how about explaining how Matsuri realizing that she felt like Himawari-san was rejecting her leads to the “HOW NICE!” outburst, for those of us who are slower of wit?

Ah right, it comes as a shock (and it should be, if you take a look at Himawari san's reaction), but Matsuri was just copying her friend's jealousy here https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch38#6 by saying HOW NICE! because that's what's she has been thinking this whole time by seeing Himawari san and Ayame being so close and feeling jealous too of that relation, after all, when Matsuri wants to do something with her, Himawari would respond "I can't because I have to look after the shop" but she can take a day off when it's about Ayame... so yeah, what Matsuri was saying is "HOW NICE! (If only I were treated like that!)"

Matsuri thought that she was being rejected by comparing herself to Ayame. But the fact that she suddenly reacted like that (from sad to HYPE) is just Matsuri's being Matsuri

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 11:54AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

Blastaar posted:

Ah right, it comes as a shock (and it should be, if you take a look at Himawari san's reaction), but Matsuri was just copying her friend's jealousy here https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch38#6 by saying HOW NICE! because that's what's she has been thinking this whole time by seeing Himawari san and Ayame being so close and feeling jealous too of that relation, after all, when Matsuri wants to do something with her, Himawari would respond "I can't because I have to look after the shop" but she can take a day off when it's about Ayame... so yeah, what Matsuri was saying is "HOW NICE! (If only I were treated like that!)"

Matsuri thought that she was being rejected by comparing herself to Ayame. But the fact that she suddenly reacted like that (from sad to HYPE) is just Matsuri's being Matsuri

OK, thanks. Your explanation makes sense (I had forgotten Nana-chan’s previous reaction, so I missed the reference). What really threw me off was the fact that Matsuri’s “How nice!” reaction seems to be “in the moment,” as it were, but then she says, “That’s what I thought,” as if she were summarizing something she had previously thought.

Actually, I realize now that my actual problem was the ambiguous referent for the pronoun “that,” which could be:

That = the thought “How nice.”

That = “Himawari-san is rejecting me.”

Not the the first time I have been undone by a pronoun referent in a translation from Japanese.

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 12:31PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Not the the first time I have been undone by a pronoun referent in a translation from Japanese.

Ye gods, my worst, and constant, nightmare (as a proofreader/copyeditor/quality checker for these sorts of things). I'll keep a closer eye out for these in the future.

The line may have been better as "Is what I think."? I can't comment on on how this line went, but you'd be surprised the amount of behind-the-scenes back and forth, discussion, and revision goes on for scripts. Depending on the group, that is.

Luckily, Miss Sunflower appears to be equally confused.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Ye gods, my worst, and constant, nightmare (as a proofreader/copyeditor/quality checker for these sorts of things). I'll keep a closer eye out for these in the future.

The line may have been better as "Is what I think."? I can't comment on on how this line went, but you'd be surprised the amount of behind-the-scenes back and forth, discussion, and revision goes on for scripts. Depending on the group, that is.

Luckily, Miss Sunflower appears to be equally confused.

Yeah, for me it's the transition from Matsuri's somewhat stricken expression on page 18 to the giant "HOW NICE!" on 19 that throws the whole thing into confusion.

But as Serenata says, that's Matsuri for you.

Deeply grateful for this scanlation--this series is one of the joys of my life.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Double-checking my own reading of the part in Chapter 39 where Himawari-san says, “Matsuri is a bit like [the old] Himawari-san in some ways.”

She’s clearly delusional that her brother is attracted to Matsuri the way he was to the original Miss Sunflower.

She’s also mistaken that anyone else who knew that other Miss Sunflower (i.e., her brother, Ayame, the old customers) would perceive any fundamental similarity between the two.

But her brother spells out how Himawari-san might perceive a resemblance—the way the two of them can sit comfortably together supporting each other without saying anything.

And, by extension, the connection is that our Himawari-san loves Matsuri (whether that affection has a real romantic component or not remains to be seen) as she loved the other Miss Sunflower.

Asides:
Himawari-san in regular clothes is really cute, mostly as a change of pace from her regular look.

Fuuko-chan is really cute, no matter what.

joined Jan 20, 2020

Ahhhhhhh, words can't describe how happy I am we received these chapters, thank you so much!! And thank you so much for updating and not dropping it even with all these limitations.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

this series is one of the joys of my life.

Me too!

Digging through the comments reminded me I'm still not over the name switch, but it no longer detracts from the reading experience.

It also made me realize that a ton of care and discussion totally goes into the particulars of the script, as per a post from Chinomeri a ways back

last edited at Jan 22, 2020 10:54PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Any day with a new chapter of this is a good day. Thanks, scanlators.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

This was supposed to be 2 volumes?! See. We also sometimes can get good things instead of just axed stuff.

Adashima
joined Sep 3, 2018

What a good day to be alive, AdaShima vol 6 got updated yesterday and now we get this out of nowhere. Thanks a lot for your work translating this!

joined May 1, 2015

Thank you for translating this. God, I love this story so much.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

It's back. :D

To reply you must either login or sign up.