Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Nope, hated it. At least the part after Shizuka returned to the room and Mio caved. Shizuka's tears were a dead giveaway, she started breaking down when Mio basically shoved the truth into her face. And she can not face that truth. The fact she is not even remotely over Kaoru (who, incidentally, seems to be falling genuinely in love with someone else), making Mio the last straw keeping her afloat.

She can not come to terms with Kaoru possibly finding something more than a casual fling with another girl, and she can not bear the possibility of simultaneously losing her cheap coping mechanism, which is what Mio essentially is, as far as I see it. If this ends badly, Mio will have only herself to blame.

I have mixed feelings about this development, personally. On one hand, they hadn't actually committed to a relationship before, so it isn't like Shizuka -cheated- or tried to cheat. They hadn't set boundaries or made a real commitment. And I get the sense that Shizuka genuinely cares about Mio, but she was still hung up on Kaoru. So I could see this as a "scared straight" event? Like she has been faced with the fact that if she has to commit to Mio to deserve her, and she has now, so....That could be fine. On the other hand, she still has to confront her feelings for Kaoru and let go of her for this to really feel honest.

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Iono', I liked this. This felt more about Shizuoa realizing what she has and officially admitting it, rather than the point being Mio's response. There was always this slight feeling of "one sided" to me, and these two chapters feel like it puts them on equal footing.

That said, it'll also depend on where things go after this, too, though considering the tone of this series overall I don't foresee Shizuka f'ing this up lol.

I do get the frustration though, as Mio honestly had every right to be far more unforgiving and break things up.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I'm good with how this went. They're kids muddling their way through their first relationships fuck-ups are bound to happen and I think this is a good wake-up call for both of them to reassess how they view and treat the other. The pedestal Mio put Shizuka on got well and truly broken and now she's more able to see her as she actually is: kind of a hot mess. Shizuka's realized how her actions hurt Mio and how important Mio ultimately is to her even if she's still hung up on her ex.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Tevin posted:

I was hoping Mio would break up with her...

Not realistic. She had a huge emotional investment in sempai. You don't write that kind of investment off just because of a single instance of "feeling betrayed".

Or it would mean her feelings were that shallow.

Yes and no. I mean, emotional investment is a double-edged sword. It can strengthen your resolve, but it can also make betrayals that much worse. And giving up on something doesn't have to mean your feelings were shallow, sometimes it just means you can't deal or don't believe things will work. I think this scene could have easily gone either way, realistically, just depending on how the conversation went and who did what.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Tevin posted:

Not realistic. She had a huge emotional investment in sempai. You don't write that kind of investment off just because of a single instance of "feeling betrayed".

Yes and no. I mean, emotional investment is a double-edged sword. It can strengthen your resolve, but it can also make betrayals that much worse. And giving up on something doesn't have to mean your feelings were shallow, sometimes it just means you can't deal or don't believe things will work. I think this scene could have easily gone either way, realistically, just depending on how the conversation went and who did what.

Yeah, Sunk Cost Fallacy applies to emotional investments too. I think the main deciding factor for Mio here was that they never actually established themselves as a couple which made the betrayal less stark.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

That...was better than I expected. I thought if they ended up making up it would feel weird and forced...but I'm glad to have been proved wrong.

Yeah me too, damn I'm happier with this route compared to the one I thought was gonna happen

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

As long as Shizuka sorts herself out and deals with kaoru etc and can treat Mio right going forward, and actualy learns and moves forward from this, then Im fine - happy even with it.

Just I'd hate for Mio to get dragged in further drama and hurt because of those 2.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

I also do not like this resolution. Yes, they are young and will muddle their way through their relationship, but equally because they are young they wouldn't consider establishing boundaries in the first place. In every sense that a teenager would understand, they WERE in something of a relationship. As the older one Shizuka was shown to have understood all along that Mio truly liked her, and just like Kaoru does with everybody who likes her, Shizuka took advantage of it. The resolution shows Mio is far too dependent on Shizuka and their "official" relationship seems to have started off under the pretence that she will always be too milquetoast to hold Shizuka accountable to anything. Regardless of their maturity, we're supposed to feel like we support the relationship, this being a manga aimed at young adults, and I don't see how I could with that in mind. This deserved a good period of separation between them.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

majere posted:

Tevin posted:

Yeah, Sunk Cost Fallacy applies to emotional investments too. I think the main deciding factor for Mio here was that they never actually established themselves as a couple which made the betrayal less stark.

Yeah, it was impossible for them to break up, because they weren't actually an "official" couple.

My point stands that it was a single instance of a kindof betrayal, not enough to completely repulse Mio and lead her to give up on Sempai.

Now that they are officially dating, I think that Shizuka learned her lesson and will not try anything funny toward Kaoru.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Lovers divided
Get co-incided.
Something for everyone
A (romantic) comedy tonight!
No royal curse, no Trojan horse,
And there's a happy ending, of course!
Goodness and badness,
Panic and madness--
This time it all turns out all right!
Tragedy tomorrow,
Romcom tonight!

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

I am a horrible person... I actually hoped for they to brake appart.
I mean, what Mio went trough was awful, she deserves better, so Kishi betters does her justice afther this.

Also ^ nice poem.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 6:03PM

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

I mean, what Mio went trough was awful, she deserves better, so Kishi betters does her justice afther this.

No, no don't worry. I feel the same but y'know it was obvious that they wouldn't break up

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

I think what made this resolution work for me was seeing how truly distraught Shizuka was at the thought of losing Mio. She wasn't faking tears to try and keep Mio around to use as a substitute for her ex. She learned how much Mio meant to her, and I don't think she'll make the same mistake again.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

There are quite a lot of people on this forum thinking that a 15 y/o should be as wrecked and scornful as themselves.

120x120px-ls-38203a65_avatar65018_8
joined Oct 27, 2011

Damn ! I was that Mio. Totally related to the scene "i was afraid that everything between us was just going to end like that..". Actually when Shizuka did accepted to meet, Mio knew that at least she means something for Shizuka.

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

Now that they are together she better treat Mio right

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

As long as Shizuka sorts herself out and deals with kaoru etc and can treat Mio right going forward, and actualy learns and moves forward from this, then Im fine - happy even with it.

Just I'd hate for Mio to get dragged in further drama and hurt because of those 2.

How I feel. They'll have to address Kaoru at some point, and I hope Shizuka is simply done with that relationship altogether.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

There are quite a lot of people on this forum thinking that a 15 y/o should be as wrecked and scornful as themselves.

Well, that's a bit harsh. I can understand people feeling Shizuka's actions were a bridge too far and this confrontation really could have gone either way and still felt reasonable.

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

Honestly I like how it was handled, and many people already said this before (just in different words), but I hope Shizuka will walk the talk

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I mean, what Mio went trough was awful, she deserves better, so Kishi betters does her justice after this.

Also ^ nice poem.

Thank you! That Stephen Sondheim sure could write lyrics.

Images%20(24)
joined Feb 11, 2015

One down now just like... 9 more ships to go

joined Feb 23, 2016

Daamn this was precious! Problem solved in a few 2 chapters not some long ass drama going on xD

joined Jul 23, 2014

well, i liked this resolution, like, shizuka did hurt mio, but then she figured out that she really felt that she couldn't lose mio, the whole second part was amazing, i really felt that it was happening right in front of me, kishi truly is god tier

anyway, i hope with this they can actually start being a real couple, with all the ups and downs that come with it

joined Jan 13, 2019

it was more that i'm tired of seeing romance stories where one party hurts the other party in a very deep, fundamental way and it always seems to get brushed under the rug in favor of "but we love each other so it's okay you hurt me so bad"

i'm not saying they shouldn't have ever gotten back together, but shizuka has been more or less jerking around mio from the start, and that level of hurt should've had consequences for shizuka outside of "go outside and think about what you've done"

joined Apr 6, 2013

BOOOO, dump that Hoe, Mio girl. That school is drippinging lesbians no need to stick with two timers

To reply you must either login or sign up.