Forum › Nontan's Chastity Crisis discussion

joined Oct 3, 2014

If you read the author other comics, half of the joke is that the girls act out of character and in exagerated manner. (Hint: Eli swearing like a sailor, being double faced and bullying Umi).

joined Oct 26, 2016

This so perfectly captures how despicable, degenerate, and dehumanizing the way some people treat others, on the internet or otherwise, that what little jokes here and there were completely consumed by disgust towards those people.

Dark humor can be good but this one struck too close to the heart.

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 11:32PM

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

But did Hanayo's rice get cooked?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

aranicar posted:

This so perfectly captures how despicable, degenerate, and dehumanizing the way some people treat others, on the internet or otherwise, that what little jokes here and there were completely consumed by disgust towards those people.

Dark humor can be good but this one struck too close to the heart.

True but this is more focused on the idol world, some scandals feel so familiar from news I've read in ANN I swear... Like how absurd is that even if the idols face a horrible situation they have to apologize in public for "overreacting" and that same point happened in this douj- comic ? whatever that part was very real, like they're called idols but they live for their fans and that's veeeeeery bizarre compared to artist from America but too profitable to change it in Japan.

So this is a dark parody of the idol world.

deltahalo241 posted:

But did Hanayo's rice get cooked?

It got burned! that's how dark this is

last edited at Jun 20, 2019 11:59PM

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

Why?

PootisPainisHere
12-09-06-13-47_0_large_metal_gear_solid_wtf_thumb
joined May 18, 2017

Maybe a lil bit off topic, but i notice every side characters are easter eggs from other franchises, maybe someone could find them all? Just think of it as something to loosen your mind

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

So many serious people all of a sudden!

It was clearly both satire and a jab at the unwholesome members of the otaku community that can create such a toxic atmosphere around idols--both virtual and real.

... with a dash of the weirdness and over-the-top characterization that seems to be a staple of this particular author. (They seem particularly keen on having Eli blow her stack like an angry sailor, lol.)

PootisPainisHere
12-09-06-13-47_0_large_metal_gear_solid_wtf_thumb
joined May 18, 2017

It was clearly both satire and a jab at the unwholesome members of the otaku community that can create such a toxic atmosphere around idols--both virtual and real.

this, i think the whole point of this "doujin" is to have everyone feel disgusted in order to prevent us from turning into these otakus

20200611_003300
joined May 9, 2019

I'm sorry but this makes me want to cry and vomit so much???

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Well this was quite bad.

Mahiru
joined Aug 28, 2016

BTW can we get another tag, like "Depressing as fuck" or something? IDK if that tag is quite right, there's prolly something more fitting, but as it stands the tags seem pretty misleading...

joined Apr 7, 2016

This is a satirical work meant to criticize the exploitive and manipulative aspects of the idol industry, as well as Japan's general nonchalant attitude on how they treat women and girls. Since I like satire, it was hilarious for me to read, but--as satire is meant to do--there is a small voice in the back of my head also angrily yelling about how messed up Japanese society is about how they mistreat their female population.

last edited at Jun 21, 2019 8:31AM

joined Jun 7, 2019

Sheesh, peeople. Don't take it so seriously, mkay?

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

This was freaking hilarious.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Hmm it's about 50/50 of:
"It's fine, it's just dark satire," and
"I regret reading this,"
so far, so I'm on the fence about reading it.

What I wanna know is since when does Stan Miller translate Love Live doujins? And what made him do this one? Dunno if he reads forum comments or answers though.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Hmm it's about 50/50 of:
"I regret reading this,"

Satire aside, it's just not very well made. Neither the message nor the jokes really stick the landing. The art is also uninspired.

It's certainly not something that will disturb you deeply or anything though, so if you're curious, just read it anyway.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Ah thanks BugDevil. I'm wary of WTF tag because sometimes it's like o.O disgusting in an unworldly way I guess you can say?

I read it. That scenario was stupidly against free will, but like...we all are familiar with that kind of obsessing and objectification of women, so it's not disturbing, although it's sad that it's not disturbing because we're used to those comments about women.

Somehow I can see why Stan translated it by reading it. Seems his style, like he's tasteful about untasteful material for the most part.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Hmm it's about 50/50 of:
"I regret reading this,"

Satire aside, it's just not very well made. Neither the message nor the jokes really stick the landing. The art is also uninspired.

It's certainly not something that will disturb you deeply or anything though, so if you're curious, just read it anyway.

well, according to most of the comments so far, lots of people are disturbed. The manga itself is not appealing but it's doing a good job at making people understand that this does in happen in reality. That's why it's affecting so many readers. The ones who feel like it's fine and just consider it satire are those who already know about this reality.

I think a story is bad if it is unable to move its readers' emotions in any sort of way. If the story is able to generate any reaction, in this case getting most comments to dislike it, the mangaka succeeded. The plot is so twisted and degrading to females by basically selling off the idol to "fans". It's disgusting but ya know what, it does happen in real life, so the story is doing something good by making people talk about it.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

well, according to most of the comments so far, lots of people are disturbed. The manga itself is not appealing but it's doing a good job at making people understand that this does in happen in reality. That's why it's affecting so many readers. The ones who feel like it's fine and just consider it satire are those who already know about this reality.

I think a story is bad if it is unable to move its readers' emotions in any sort of way. If the story is able to generate any reaction, in this case getting most comments to dislike it, the mangaka succeeded. The plot is so twisted and degrading to females by basically selling off the idol to "fans". It's disgusting but ya know what, it does happen in real life, so the story is doing something good by making people talk about it.

You have to understand that the Disturbed (not talking about the band) barrier is at very different places for most people. Empty vessels like me who were numbed by the internet barely even react to this level of stuff anymore. But when I said this wasn't deeply disturbing, I truly meant it. It can make you uncomfortable, but nothing truly disturbing actually happens. It even cuts off before the worst part. Comparing this to most other wtf am I reading? releases here, this is really tame.

Yes, from a pure story-telling perspective you are right. It is bad to create no reaction in the reader. What you need to consider is what the story actually tried to accomplish though. If someone wants to write a children's book with a good moral, but messes up the moral, even if it evokes emotions of disgust or disbelief, it still FAILED.

Personally I think this topic can both be addressed more directly or sensibly. This barely works as satire for LL. It is satire of something LL does not represent. The doujin goes off on unecessary tangents and conveys its message in the dumbest way possible. You can still tell the intention, but it's muddled. Even the humor is weak (I laughed at two jokes at least, so that is something).

Nothing against the author or their integrity of course, the topic is very important. Nobody should devolve into a disgusting Otaku who pushes their desires unto fandoms or real life people. Maybe they'll do it better next time.

last edited at Jun 21, 2019 12:46PM

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

I wonder how many of those 20 Million people who applied for the drawing were lesbians/bi girls. I mean statistically speaking it's unreasonable to think that none of them applied...

joined Oct 3, 2014

Personally I think this topic can both be addressed more directly or sensibly. This barely works as satire for LL. It is satire of something LL does not represent. The doujin goes off on unecessary tangents and conveys its message in the dumbest way possible. You can still tell the intention, but it's muddled. Even the humor is weak (I laughed at two jokes at least, so that is something).

Nothing against the author or their integrity of course, the topic is very important. Nobody should devolve into a disgusting Otaku who pushes their desires unto fandoms or real life people. Maybe they'll do it better next time.

That is half of the joke, the fact that is inappropriate for characters of LL to be in this kind of storyline (while acting out of character to a insane degree) and contrasting the idol media controversies with the absurd premise of this comic having a whole country having a raffle to fuck a high schooler.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

That is half of the joke, the fact that is inappropriate for characters of LL to be in this kind of storyline (while acting out of character to a insane degree) and contrasting the idol media controversies with the absurd premise of this comic having a whole country having a raffle to fuck a high schooler.

I get the attempt at humor. It just fails. Though incidentally the only things I found funny were Eli swearing up a storm and Umi constantly fainting from the absurdity. So I guess the out of character part isn't a complete disaster. Though turning Kotori into a slut didn't help that case.

joined Oct 3, 2014

I get the attempt at humor. It just fails.

And that is your opinion. Just saying this is more like a South Park episode than that Black Mirror episode with the pig, is not supposed to be taken seriously.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

You have to understand that the Disturbed (not talking about the band) barrier is at very different places for most people. Empty vessels like me who were numbed by the internet barely even react to this level of stuff anymore. But when I said this wasn't deeply disturbing, I truly meant it. It can make you uncomfortable, but nothing truly disturbing actually happens. It even cuts off before the worst part. Comparing this to most other wtf am I reading? releases here, this is really tame.

Yes, from a pure story-telling perspective you are right. It is bad to create no reaction in the reader. What you need to consider is what the story actually tried to accomplish though. If someone wants to write a children's book with a good moral, but messes up the moral, even if it evokes emotions of disgust or disbelief, it still FAILED.

Good point, what people consider disturbed is relative to how they feel and you're right. I was just amused at all the previous comments expressing their opinion of disliking it by calling it wtf or that it was horrible. Definitely isn't the worst you could see out there and it does fall flat as a story.

And, yeah, fair enough. Since it appears the main point is to highlight the issue, it fails by just bringing up the topic but then portraying or executing it in a poor way. I agree with you, this topic can definitely be brought up in a better fashion. So with context, this isn't the best but it does embody the "there was an attempt" meme.

(surprised you think the humor is weak even though it got you to laugh twice. I laugh easily but this just got me to smile a few times lol)

last edited at Jun 21, 2019 8:24PM

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

I actually laughed out loud idk...I'm thinking that most people wouldn't want to involve themselves into the idols private lives, only a small fanatic group which you get with every popular thing anyway. "Fucking harasho" hahaha.

To reply you must either login or sign up.