Forum › Transgender discussion

vanilla salt
Fb_img_1492462408743
joined Jan 18, 2014

So, considering that this thread exists, I want to ask for the opinion of people in regarsd to a recent protest of the Trans-community against Lebians in the UK. I only want to hear if somebody heard of it or not because I saw it and I am conflicted on what the actual heck is going on here, like why is the Trans-community protesting to "Remove the L in LGBT" because I don't understand where that is coming from and I want to hear peoples opinions on it since I don't know where anyones stand on this is.

It wasn't the trans community protesting against lesbians, it was the lesbian community saying they should leave the LGBT label because they don't like being associated with trans women who they think are men, mind you when I say lesbian community I don't mean the whole of it just shitty TERFS
Here's a quote from the leader of the people campaigning:

“The only way to fight lesbian erasure within ‘LGBT+’ groups is to... create an autonomous and strong lesbian community and build alliances with all feminists willing to fight against male domination,”

Yeah, this is largely a bunch of "political lesbians" raising a big stink because the rest of the acronym doesn't hate trans people as much as they do. Anti-trans rags like After Ellen have been pushing hard against the "queer community" lately, and tripling down on attacking trans and non-binary folks too, talking up the same sort of "pure lesbian" stuff. It's weird how much traction TERFism gets in UK in particular though, a lot of prominent bigots come out of there.

i disagree with the whole "lesbians are the villans" thing here, it mostly started with trans women who have atraction with cis-women and wanted to try date some that are lesbians, some of them refused a relationship saying that they didn´t feel attracted to them because they still had male genitallia, that argument ended up hurting some transwomen feelings because they don´t see them as women, and insted of being "ok, you´re not physically atracted to me, that´s fair, everyone has their type" they went on and say that something like that was transphobic and started a trend called "cotton ceiling" wich conssist at convincing lesbians of having sex with them or they will be considered as terfs, and most of the people are ignoring this side of the story

last edited at May 28, 2019 1:21AM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Other than not a single word of that being true TERF bullshit has nothing to do with cis women not wanting to date trans women and everything to do with not wanting to allow trans women to be women at all. It is about delegitimizing both cis women who accept trans lesbians and trans lesbians themselves as women. This goes beyond personal sexual boundaries to bathroom use and shelters for women being targets of their hatred for trans women to try and expel them. TERFs are involved with far right groups in the US and UK who are as anti-women as it gets, against abortion and against increased rape protection, this movement is first and foremost about controlling other women's bodies and not at all about protecting their own.

"lesbians are the villans"

Don’t position yourself as if you speak for all lesbians, it is clear this is about control and erasure of cis lesbians as much as it is about being grossed out at "having" to share a bathroom with trans lesbians.

last edited at May 28, 2019 9:10AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

i disagree with the whole "lesbians are the villans" thing here, it mostly started with trans women who have atraction with cis-women and wanted to try date some that are lesbians, some of them refused a relationship saying that they didn´t feel attracted to them because they still had male genitallia, that argument ended up hurting some transwomen feelings because they don´t see them as women, and insted of being "ok, you´re not physically atracted to me, that´s fair, everyone has their type" they went on and say that something like that was transphobic and started a trend called "cotton ceiling" wich conssist at convincing lesbians of having sex with them or they will be considered as terfs, and most of the people are ignoring this side of the story

Nobody said "lesbians are the villains". Hell, a lot of the trans women involved are lesbians. It's more a case that a lot of the villains claim to speak on behalf of all lesbians, and therefore by definition disagreeing with them is anti-lesbian.

A lot of what you're saying is basically TERF/"Gedner Critical" talking points about the so-called "cotton ceiling", a phrase almost exclusively used in TERF circles. it was originally the title of a relatively obscure talk given at a conference some years ago, about trans women getting frozen out in the dating scene. The TERFs, of course, took it to extremes as a propaganda tool and use it to suggest that trans women want to force cis women to have sex with them by any means possible, up to and including rape. It's very much the same "they're invading women's spaces/bathrooms and forcing themselves on us" bullshit that informs a lot of TERF rhetoric.

last edited at May 28, 2019 12:56PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, and my reference to "political lesbians" refers to the Second Wave Feminist idea that you could decide to be a lesbian as a political choice to combat the evils of patriarchy and "compulsory heterosexuality" rather than necessarily a positive attraction to women. So this is a specific sort of lesbianism which many notable TERFs (such as the fake goth) subscribe to, rather than referring to lesbians in general.

Fbphoto
joined Feb 26, 2018

Trans women are women, full stop. They're not cis women, but they are women, and I will treat them as such.

Why is this difficult? Yes, I came perilously close to TERFdom in college, but meeting a few transwomen and becoming friends with them and learning from them put a stop to that. A hell of a lot of the same arguments thrown at us 30-50 years ago are now being leveled at trans people, specifically transwomen.

And even at my near-TERFiest, I never felt threatened by them. At no point did the existence of transwomen make me feel less of a woman, less of a lesbian, or otherwise diminished. Yes, I have a very strong genital preference, but that's not transphobia or bigotry, and it's kind of moot anyway since I'm taken already and don't sleep around. No, I wouldn't have sex with a transwoman who still has boy bits, but that's on me, not her.

@Lilliwyt, please understand that it is actually a working legal defense in most of the US to kill someone because s/he didn't reveal being trans to you. Is that dumb and dishonest? Yes, but not a death penalty offense. Trans people are some of the most vulnerable people in the nation both a priori and because of the socioeconomic barriers that come with being so rare, mismatched, and ill-understood. Words do not directly kill, but they do contribute to keeping people in danger.

THAT is what "trans rights are human rights" means, okay? It's no different from "black lives matter." It's not saying "...and other lives/rights don't/aren't," it's "...and these rights/lives are being and have been systematically disvalued, so let's do something about that."

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

To learn what it's like to transition: https://m.mangairo.com/story-pa57232

J.K.Rowling sometimes calls herself (themself?) "Robert Galbraith." As Garry Marshall said in the movie Twilight of the Golds: "The worst kind of anti-Semite is a Jewish anti-Semite."

Robert Galbraith is also the name of the guy who created conversion therapy (torturing gay people to make them hate being gay)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Galbraith_Heath#Gay_conversion_therapy

Download
joined Jul 12, 2020

Now that Fukakai has ended, I fear this tag won't see hide nor hair of an update for six months to a year if even :( I wish there was something I could do to help! I really like good trans manga!! Fukakai was a blessing and a wonderful read from start to finish <3

last edited at Mar 12, 2021 10:11AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Moderator Note

This thread has been cleaned up a bit. As always, I'd like to remind you of rule 11 before posting, and suggest you read the rules in full.

1. Homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia are grounds for immediate removal from the site. These sentiments are acceptable under precisely zero circumstances.

If you have any questions or concerns, you're welcome to reach out to at any time. Thank you!

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Well I guess my (very-low-quality) pun was also swept away by the cleaning. Eh, whatever, as much as I'll miss it, it isn't worth raising a fuss over.

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

I really wish I could go to places other than fanfiction for solid trans representation. I read so many wonderful stories on this site and others and can't help but think "what if one of these stories had someone like me?" But I guess we still have a long way to go. With the world on fire and fascists taking over every major government, it's hard to see a way out of this that doesn't end with me dying in a hate crime for using pronouns my parents didn't use for me.

joined Dec 30, 2018

Anyone have any trans webtoons/mangas/manhwas recommendations?

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Some Webtoons about/with trans and/or non-binary characters I enjoy are:

Originals:
-Realta
-Straylight Tiger
-Four Leaf
-High Class Homos
-Finding Wonderland

Canvas:
-Gacha Girl!
-I want to be a cute anime girll
-Lesbiampires
-Mira!
-My dragon girlfriend
-To Knight the Faithless

joined Apr 16, 2022

I Want to be a Cute Anime Girl on Webtoons

On this site: Mermaid Line chapters 6 + 7; Double House; Childhood Friend Yuri(?); Cotton Candy Love

Ore ga Watashi ni Naru Made (technically more "gender bender" than trans since it's the "boy wakes up as a girl one day" variety but it takes its premise super seriously and is very good)

joined Dec 30, 2018

Some Webtoons about/with trans and/or non-binary characters I enjoy are:

Originals:
-Realta
-Straylight Tiger
-Four Leaf
-High Class Homos
-Finding Wonderland

Canvas:
-Gacha Girl!
-I want to be a cute anime girll
-Lesbiampires
-Mira!
-My dragon girlfriend
-To Knight the Faithless

Thanks! I'll be sure to read them all sometime

joined Dec 30, 2018

On this site: Mermaid Line chapters 6 + 7; Double House; Childhood Friend Yuri(?); Cotton Candy Love

Ore ga Watashi ni Naru Made (technically more "gender bender" than trans since it's the "boy wakes up as a girl one day" variety but it takes its premise super seriously and is very good)

Alright thank you I'll check em out

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

How come no one has mentioned Hanayome wa Motodanshi? Not just a good trans recommendation, but one of my absolute favorite manga overall.

last edited at Sep 17, 2022 9:06AM

joined Dec 30, 2018

Alright thank you I'll check em out

Currently 30 chapters into Ore ga Watashi ni Naru Made and i gotta see this is definitely the most unique thing ive read in a while

Curious how the story is gonna develop

joined Dec 30, 2018

How come no one has mentioned Hanayome wa Motodanshi? Not just a good trans recommendation, but one of my absolute favorite manga overall.

I'll read that too thank you!!

Download
joined Jul 12, 2020

I think it's awesome to have new trans manga on the site! After School Mate has been a fun read so far, reading a transman story is always fun. Though I would like to find more examples of transwomen who are straight. As a transwomen who is herself straight, I've found my particular demographic to be oddly under represented even within trans manga and webcomic circles. There's a good example or two out there of course, like "Hold Me, Baby, As a Lady... -First Love Again in the Body of a Woman." heck of a title but yeah it's pretty good even if it's a bit raunchy... That's about the only example I can think of though besides Hanayome wa Motodanshi which is more an educational autobiography for cis people and young trans people than anything.

As well, most examples of transwomen who are into guys in media are terrible caricatures that fall into the "entrapment" stereotypes or other scuffed examples played for the sake of comedy, movies are most often guilty of this. Meanwhile there's an awesome selection of webcomics and even a few handfuls of manga for transwomen... lesbian transwomen anyway. I think it's because the vast majority of transwomen are lesbian, and I'm happy for them, but I feel kinda left out xD.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any good stories about romance between a transwoman and a guy I would be eternally grateful!

To reply you must either login or sign up.